Artist of the Week 10/10/11 - Lydia Loveless

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Blammo

Re: Artist of the Week 10/10/11 - Lydia Loveless

Post by Blammo »

have a good time all the time

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Blammo wrote:Hey! New song debut today.

http://www.thefader.com/2016/08/05/lydi ... o-you-real
I think that one is my favorite of the three that have come out so far.
Let the outside air in

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

schlanky wrote:

Yes
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

schlanky wrote:

Agreed. This can't get here soon enough.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

NM
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Here you go, NPR is streaming the entire new Lydia Loveless album for a few days. Hope you guys dig it & we'll see you soon on the road.
(and if you like it, don't forget to buy a copy!)

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/11/488660920 ... eless-real

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Blammo wrote:Here you go, NPR is streaming the entire new Lydia Loveless album for a few days. Hope you guys dig it & we'll see you soon on the road.

Sweet, got my afternoon planned now.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Just finished my first listen. I like it

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Blammo wrote:Here you go, NPR is streaming the entire new Lydia Loveless album for a few days. Hope you guys dig it & we'll see you soon on the road.

I love it! Early favorites are Same to You, Heaven and Midwestern Guys....but that could change.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

don't have time to listen today, but it'll be massively impressive to me if I like any song more than "Out on Love", which is perfect.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Smitty wrote:don't have time to listen today, but it'll be massively impressive to me if I like any song more than "Out on Love", which is perfect.
Well I'll have you know that the Chicago Tribune said that "Same To You" was so good, that it made the rest of the album seem like a disappointment in comparison. We'll be sure to put that one in the press kit, lol.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Very nice--just finishing my second play through. I'm at work with no headphones so I can't crank it, but I really like what I'm hearing.
Let the outside air in

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Blammo wrote:Well I'll have you know that the Chicago Tribune said that "Same To You" was so good, that it made the rest of the album seem like a disappointment in comparison.
You got a sweet little bass riff in this song.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

allisonsdc wrote:Image
Lydia Loveless will be performing live on Audiotree today at 2pm Central.
That session is now available online and available for purchase.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Blammo wrote:
Smitty wrote:don't have time to listen today, but it'll be massively impressive to me if I like any song more than "Out on Love", which is perfect.
Well I'll have you know that the Chicago Tribune said that "Same To You" was so good, that it made the rest of the album seem like a disappointment in comparison. We'll be sure to put that one in the press kit, lol.
you should put that quote on the a sticker on the cover.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Smitty wrote:
Blammo wrote:
you should put that quote on the a sticker on the cover.
Our proudest moment!

It can be weird when you're involved in writing a song, cause you end up with your own perception of what the song "is" or what it's about. And then you encounter someone who feels that it's obviously completely different than that. We thought Same To You was a good uptempo rocking song to kick off the album, (similar to Feb 14, or say "Really Wanna See You" on the last album) but not really the centerpiece or focal point of the whole thing. Which is why I suppose bands shouldn't really chime in with their thoughts, because everyone's opinions are gonna vary, and once it's out of our hands, they're all equally valid. Would they have felt differently if the sequencing was different? Probably, but it's hard to know now. Our best chance is really to not let anything less than what we feel is a great song get beyond the developmental stage, which is our main strategy, which is why it sometimes takes a while to get a new album together. If anyone feels blasé about a song, it's either going to get majorly reworked until we feel it's our new BEST song, or it's gonna get the hatchet.

With Somewhere Else, we had someone angrily contact the label to chastise them for "not releasing Wine Lips as the lead single, and squandering an obvious opportunity to have a hit". Which was a bit of a head scratcher, cause i don't even know what "releasing as a single" means these days, regular ol' radio isn't gonna play it regardless, so I don't know what it was we were supposed to do differently. How a regular band (as opposed to a corporate-backed entity) is supposed to have a bonafide "hit" these days is beyond me. Glad they dug the song though!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Blammo wrote:
Smitty wrote: Our proudest moment!

It can be weird when you're involved in writing a song, cause you end up with your own perception of what the song "is" or what it's about. And then you encounter someone who feels that it's obviously completely different than that. We thought Same To You was a good uptempo rocking song to kick off the album, (similar to Feb 14, or say "Really Wanna See You" on the last album) but not really the centerpiece or focal point of the whole thing. Which is why I suppose bands shouldn't really chime in with their thoughts, because everyone's opinions are gonna vary, and once it's out of our hands, they're all equally valid. Would they have felt differently if the sequencing was different? Probably, but it's hard to know now. Our best chance is really to not let anything less than what we feel is a great song get beyond the developmental stage, which is our main strategy, which is why it sometimes takes a while to get a new album together. If anyone feels blasé about a song, it's either going to get majorly reworked until we feel it's our new BEST song, or it's gonna get the hatchet.

With Somewhere Else, we had someone angrily contact the label to chastise them for "not releasing Wine Lips as the lead single, and squandering an obvious opportunity to have a hit". Which was a bit of a head scratcher, cause i don't even know what "releasing as a single" means these days, regular ol' radio isn't gonna play it regardless, so I don't know what it was we were supposed to do differently. How a regular band (as opposed to a corporate-backed entity) is supposed to have a bonafide "hit" these days is beyond me. Glad they dug the song though!
I think "Same to You" has a lot more brooding quality to it than "Really Wanna See You". A bit darker, more jaded. Maybe I'm projecting lyrics onto the music.

It's a fucking earworm though and I think the sequencing on this album works well.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote: I think "Same to You" has a lot more brooding quality to it than "Really Wanna See You". A bit darker, more jaded. Maybe I'm projecting lyrics onto the music.
Really Wanna See You is pretty fucking dark. It isn't what it seems. It's not a nice-girl song. Which is what makes it the perfect opener for that record. I think I need to go listen to it right now.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote: I think "Same to You" has a lot more brooding quality to it than "Really Wanna See You". A bit darker, more jaded. Maybe I'm projecting lyrics onto the music.
Really Wanna See You is pretty fucking dark. It isn't what it seems. It's not a nice-girl song. Which is what makes it the perfect opener for that record. I think I need to go listen to it right now.
It's dark as fuck. But the music is so spunky. "Same to You" isn't spunky.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thanks blammo, I really love hearing the perspective of someone in the band; album "politics" (for a lack of better term, politics from a musical standpoint, not promotional "bigger picture" stuff) are compelling to me and reading your comments in this context (opposed to an article or press piece) are fascinating to me.

I think you just unwittingly cleared up an old debate we've had on here about whether non-pop "real" or as you put it, regular bands make "filler" songs to take up space on an album. While I'm sure y'all have certain songs that you want to serve as focal points on an album, your comment about making every song your "best" song and not having singles to sell the record on invalidates the idea that you make filler, at least in the traditional sense.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Last edited by Blammo on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cool.

Kudzu Guillotine

Click on the image for more info.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:Thanks blammo, I really love hearing the perspective of someone in the band; album "politics" (for a lack of better term, politics from a musical standpoint, not promotional "bigger picture" stuff) are compelling to me and reading your comments in this context (opposed to an article or press piece) are fascinating to me.

I think you just unwittingly cleared up an old debate we've had on here about whether non-pop "real" or as you put it, regular bands make "filler" songs to take up space on an album. While I'm sure y'all have certain songs that you want to serve as focal points on an album, your comment about making every song your "best" song and not having singles to sell the record on invalidates the idea that you make filler, at least in the traditional sense.
Yep.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Lydia Loveless on Internet Stalkers, Badass Image and Raw New Album
Conflicted singer-songwriter exorcises her demons on cathartic new LP 'Real'

Lydia Loveless will release her new album 'Real' on August 19th.
David T. Kindler/Some Girls Style

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Oh Shit new record's out today! :mrgreen:

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

in the 'better late than never' category, here are photos from last year's show. they opened with "Out On Love" last year and it was a killer song so i am looking to hearing the new LP.

click for more!

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

She'll be punching me in the face this afternoon- picking the new album up today!