Artist of the Week 10/10/11 - Lydia Loveless

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

teleburst

Re: Artist of the Week 10/10/11 - Lydia Loveless

Post by teleburst »

According to a Patterson tweet yesterday, he's finally on board. Called her BADASS. Her hubby, Ben, who plays bass in the band, was over the moon. He posted about it on Facebook.

She IS badass. The earlier posting of Can't Change Me is one of my favorite things.

Here's a great live in the radio studio version of "Steve Earle".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDq1_rnJVE4

Her guitarist, Todd May has a great swagger.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

"Wine Lips"
"Chris Isaak"
"To Love Somebody"
"Hurts So Bad"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
"Wine Lips"
"Chris Isaak"
"To Love Somebody"
"Hurts So Bad"

Love this. Thanks KG!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smitty wrote:Image

Because.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Who Is Lydia Loveless?

Holy shit. This is enthusiastic of a review as you're likely to read.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I was at the Sunday show and this guy is spot on. This was not just Lydia Loveless. This was a FUCKIN' band! On fire,rocked out, punked out, pure mayhem. I would travel to see them

more here
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jonicon ... t=3&page=1
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

And why has no one mentioned that GW in IA is in the band

Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Lydia's set list

Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:

I was at the Sunday show and this guy is spot on. This was not just Lydia Loveless. This was a FUCKIN' band! On fire,rocked out, punked out, pure mayhem. I would travel to see them

For those that may not be aware, Gorman Bechard is the one that did the Color Me Obsessed doc on the Replacements, he's also done docs on Archers of Loaf and Grant Hart.

The way the show I saw last week ended in squalls of feedback, I compared it to my first time seeing Whiskeytown in 1998 which a friend of mine considered high praise. From that show, "Wine Lips". Still waiting for some footage to surface.

Clams

Post by Clams »

These pics definitely aren't Tinnitus or Jonicont quality but I think they're a pretty good representation of what went down at Milkboy in Philly last Thursday night.

If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've been to shows where that's exactly what I see on stage but usually drugs were involved. ;)

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks Clams. But when it comes to photos, my name does not belong in the same sentence as Tim's
Always go to the show

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jonicont wrote:Image

Odd, I don't remember you taking any photos of Cooley's legs....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've been to shows where that's exactly what I see on stage but usually drugs were involved. ;)

Who says they weren't here?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Zip City wrote:

It's a picture of the boots and the angle of the ankles. If I wanted to stimulate your prurient interest, I would have framed it a few inches higher. Now if you've got a foot thing, well I can't help you with that. Get your mind out of the gutter
Always go to the show

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jonicont wrote:
Zip City wrote:

It's a picture of the boots and the angle of the ankles. If I wanted to stimulate your prurient interest, I would have framed it a few inches higher. Now if you've got a foot thing, well I can't help you with that. Get your mind out of the gutter

There's somewhere else to store a mind?
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last week she played Steve Earle in a new slowed down, creepy arrangement. I'd love to hear a recording.
If you don't run you rust

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Clams wrote:Last week she played Steve Earle in a new slowed down, creepy arrangement. I'd love to hear a recording.

Hey everyone, this is Ben from Lydia Loveless. (bass player, Cousin It/Sideshow Bob hair) First off Clams, on this last tour we stopped at WXPN in Philly for a recording session for Folkadelphia. During that session, Lydia and Todd decided to play as a duo, and spontaneously reworked a bunch of our songs in a melancholy format. "Sad Earle" was the first one, and we picked it up in a band "arrangement" (well…they just started playing and then the rest of us chimed in). But it and the rest of the tunes should be available soon on the Folkadelphia website.

I'd also like to just say hey to everyone and thank you all for your support of our band. It means the world to me to know there is a DBT/LL connection out there. The Truckers have been a HUGE influence on me musically, and hearing their honest & stark delivery made me quit the cheesy Americana band I was in back in 2004 and focus on playing music that was real. Todd May, our guitar player has an even deeper connection with the Truckers; his band The Lillybandits toured the south back in the 90's and met a young P. Hood when he was running sound at the 40 Watt. They played a bunch of shows together in the years to come…hopefully we can make that happen again! hahaha.

Anyway, you guys are the best and we appreciate all the kind words and all that shit. We have a few more shows in support of Somewhere Else, and then we're gonna hole up for the winter and write a whole new record. So come on out and see the band while you can.

Thanks everyone!
-Ben
have a good time all the time

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Blammo wrote:
Clams wrote:Last week she played Steve Earle in a new slowed down, creepy arrangement. I'd love to hear a recording.

Hey everyone, this is Ben from Lydia Loveless. (bass player, Cousin It/Sideshow Bob hair) First off Clams, on this last tour we stopped at WXPN in Philly for a recording session for Folkadelphia. During that session, Lydia and Todd decided to play as a duo, and spontaneously reworked a bunch of our songs in a melancholy format. "Sad Earle" was the first one, and we picked it up in a band "arrangement" (well…they just started playing and then the rest of us chimed in). But it and the rest of the tunes should be available soon on the Folkadelphia website.

I'd also like to just say hey to everyone and thank you all for your support of our band. It means the world to me to know there is a DBT/LL connection out there. The Truckers have been a HUGE influence on me musically, and hearing their honest & stark delivery made me quit the cheesy Americana band I was in back in 2004 and focus on playing music that was real. Todd May, our guitar player has an even deeper connection with the Truckers; his band The Lillybandits toured the south back in the 90's and met a young P. Hood when he was running sound at the 40 Watt. They played a bunch of shows together in the years to come…hopefully we can make that happen again! hahaha.

Anyway, you guys are the best and we appreciate all the kind words and all that shit. We have a few more shows in support of Somewhere Else, and then we're gonna hole up for the winter and write a whole new record. So come on out and see the band while you can.

Thanks everyone!
-Ben

Nice!

Thanks for dropping in Ben. I discovered you guys last fall, and Lydia's been one of my favorite artists in that time. Hopefully I'll catch you guys in the Upper Midwest sometime. The stand up bass in the electric rock context sounds great, and helps set you guys apart musically. Plus, your wife is a hell of a songwriter. Ok, enough fanboy shit.

This is why 3DD is an invaluable resource.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Blammo wrote:

Thanks everyone!
-Ben

:o :o How freakin' awesome is this? About as awesome as Lydia Loveless, I'd say. Welcome, ben, thanks for writing and good luck to you & LL.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

It was nice chatting with you Ben. Thanks for stopping by
Always go to the show

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

I feel like such an enabler here.

In a good way.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

teleburst wrote:I feel like such an enabler here.

In a good way.

You absolutely were, and thank you again.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
teleburst wrote:I feel like such an enabler here.

In a good way.

You absolutely were, and thank you again.

X2
Always go to the show

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ben,
Good one on the Sideshow Bob hair. I hadn't put that together.

As you can see our board is crazy about your band. Thanks for stopping by.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Rocky wrote:

As you can see our board is crazy about your band. Thanks for stopping by.

X2
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

On the Todd May tip, a friend of mine just recommended his solo album from last year called Rickenbacker Girls. He also recommends the record he released with the band Fort Shame. I plan to hunt those down shortly myself.

Kudzu Guillotine

Local videographer Dan Schram just posted this write up and footage to Indy Week's music blog about our first Guitartown Presents event in a long time with Lydia and Caleb Caudle at Motorco in Durham, NC last week.

Live: Lydia Loveless powers through an inaugural Triangle set

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:On the Todd May tip, a friend of mine just recommended his solo album from last year called Rickenbacker Girls. He also recommends the record he released with the band Fort Shame. I plan to hunt those down shortly myself.

Check out this link:
http://pelotonrecords.com/

the website sucks (sorry Steve) but you'll be able to find what you're looking for eventually.
have a good time all the time