Artist of the Week- Two Cow Garage

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beagle001

Artist of the Week- Two Cow Garage

Post by beagle001 »

In the middle of a balls-to-the-wall, kick ass punk rock show, with my face being blown off by very loud, angsty guitars, drums and keys by Micah Schnabel and Shane Sweeney, I take a quick break to glance back at our very own, Tequila Cowboy, who is always enjoying getting his face blown off. He's not too hard to find, though... there are only 37 at this little bar in Madison, but by the way the boys are playing, you would have thought there were a thousand.
That's the beauty of Two Cow Garage. Put aside the great playing and music, the dreadfully beautiful lyrics, the tattoos and v-necks, and you have Micah and Shane. Pouring out everything they have on that stage, with a camaraderie I've never seen before, appreciating the fans as much as the fans appreciate them.
There are more bands on this earth that are criminally under-appreciated than there are bands that deserve it that actually get it, but TCG is one, I feel deserves it more than others. There are few bands that work as hard, for so little.
I was fortunate enough to attend their 10th Anniversary shows this past Labor Day, down at the White Water Tavern in Little Rock. What an amazing weekend, with a bunch of amazing bands and people for a time I will not soon forget. All I can say is, there were definitely more than 37 people there, they still kicked ass, and still showed every bit of appreciation they could. It was one of the most special things I have ever been part of
I don't have a whole lot else to say, but please, please, check these guys out (and their solo work as well). They are great guys, always happy to see you and you won't leave disappointed.

sactochris

Re: Artist of the Week- Two Cow Garage

Post by sactochris »

One of the very best live bands in the world. I love the records but the live show leaves me slack jawed everytime I see them play. They leave it all out there on the stage night after night. If it's to a crowd of 10 or a crowd of 1000 it makes no difference. They go from 0-100 in about 0.6 seconds, kicking ass and taking names and reminding people why they go to rock n roll shows in the first place.
Keep calm and have a cigar

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Guess I'll have to see 'em live - a lot of my friends love this band. Based on these clips, though, I'm not feeling 'em. Some of these tunes sound like Lucero-gone-emo to me (a song about Catcher In the Rye? Really?). I'll try to catch 'em when they play, though. I must be missing something.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice job Beagle! I've only seen TCG twice live but they sure do bring it. Frankly they remind me an awful lot of the Replacements in their heyday, except that TCG definitely gives a shit. To address jimmyjack's concerns, yes their lyrics can sometimes overreach but not by much and it's always earnest. Sweet Saint Me was my favorite album of 2010 and I still stand by that but I think they have a real masterpiece still in them. I hope they can keep it going until that day. Again, nice write up.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

There was a lot of interest in doing a Two Cow thread. Nice job, Beagle.
If you don't run you rust

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

beagle001 wrote:In the middle of a balls-to-the-wall, kick ass punk rock show, with my face being blown off by very loud, angsty guitars, drums and keys by Micah Schnabel and Shane Sweeney, I take a quick break to glance back at our very own, Tequila Cowboy, who is always enjoying getting his face blown off. He's not too hard to find, though... there are only 37 at this little bar in Madison, but by the way the boys are playing, you would have thought there were a thousand.

Was this back in '09? At High Noon? I think I was at that show. It was an early one, if I remember correctly. Started at like 5:00. The band didn't seem happy about that, especially given the tiny crowd. (I would actually be shocked if there were 37 people there, including the band. Seemed like about 15-20.)

TCG didn't do much for me, but the opener, Austin Lucas (with TCG backing him ), blew me away.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:
beagle001 wrote:In the middle of a balls-to-the-wall, kick ass punk rock show, with my face being blown off by very loud, angsty guitars, drums and keys by Micah Schnabel and Shane Sweeney, I take a quick break to glance back at our very own, Tequila Cowboy, who is always enjoying getting his face blown off. He's not too hard to find, though... there are only 37 at this little bar in Madison, but by the way the boys are playing, you would have thought there were a thousand.

Was this back in '09? At High Noon? I think I was at that show. It was an early one, if I remember correctly. Started at like 5:00. The band didn't seem happy about that, especially given the tiny crowd. (I would actually be shocked if there were 37 people there, including the band. Seemed like about 15-20.)

TCG didn't do much for me, but the opener, Austin Lucas (with TCG backing him ), blew me away.

No this was early November, 2010. The venue escapes me but it was a block or so from the Capitol. Little place but they had good tequila, real cheap. Franz Nicolay opened the show and, despite being gracious and an amazingly nice guy, I had to leave the stage area and hang at the bar for most of his set. Just godawful.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

No this was early November, 2010. The venue escapes me but it was a block or so from the Capitol. Little place but they had good tequila, real cheap. Franz Nicolay opened the show and, despite being gracious and an amazingly nice guy, I had to leave the stage area and hang at the bar for most of his set. Just godawful.

Ah, the Frequency, I bet. As annoying as it is to have the bar area curtained off from the stage area the way they do, it is nice to be able to get away from the music when necessary. (The sound man mixes everything so LOUD there, I've even had to escape to the back of the bar for bands that I liked.)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Ohio boys, too!

(I saw them years ago in Hoboken at a dive bar for someone's bday party.)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

They first came to my attention through fellow Truckers fans on the DBTs and Guitartown email lists on Yahoo Groups back when Please Turn the Gas Back On first came out. Shortly after that, they played the Guitartown 5th Anniversary Party at the Pour House in Raleigh which was my first time seeing them live. At this time, they were being referred to by a lot of folks as "Slobberbone, Jr.". Pretty high praise for such a new band and that recognition paid off as Brent Best signed on to produce their next record. I haven't exactly been an avid follower through the years but I have managed to catch Micah solo and Two Cow last year. They're still kickin' ass but have managed to outgrow that "Slobberbone, Jr." tag in all the right ways.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Sweet Saint Me was one of my favorite albums of last year, but I haven't really gone off the deep end over these guys. Would like to see them live sometime. Good write up, Beagle.

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

Duke Silver wrote:
Ah, the Frequency, I bet. As annoying as it is to have the bar area curtained off from the stage area the way they do, it is nice to be able to get away from the music when necessary. (The sound man mixes everything so LOUD there, I've even had to escape to the back of the bar for bands that I liked.)

It was indeed the Frequency.

And Austin Lucas rules too. If you haven't already, check out his new album. Killer

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:Ohio boys, too!

And then what happened? :)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

EDIT: wrong thread
Last edited by Zip City on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Iowan wrote:Sweet Saint Me was one of my favorite albums of last year, but I haven't really gone off the deep end over these guys. Would like to see them live sometime. Good write up, Beagle.

Live performance is where they really shine. I have not really liked their studio work, but I saw them live before I ever heard a cd, and they had me instantly. Those boys give 110%.

As for Austin Lucas, he just announced a run of shows opening for Glossary, and he's part of the Lucero/Glossary shows in Nashville in mid-November and I am definitely thinkin' about it. That's a good bill right there.

- bubba

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

one belt loop wrote:
Iowan wrote:Sweet Saint Me was one of my favorite albums of last year, but I haven't really gone off the deep end over these guys. Would like to see them live sometime. Good write up, Beagle.

Live performance is where they really shine. I have not really liked their studio work, but I saw them live before I ever heard a cd, and they had me instantly. Those boys give 110%.

As for Austin Lucas, he just announced a run of shows opening for Glossary, and he's part of the Lucero/Glossary shows in Nashville in mid-November and I am definitely thinkin' about it. That's a good bill right there.

I vaguely remember that night OBL. If I remember correctly, you were hanging out with the best looking couple in the whole joint. ;)
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

That's what i said. Or would have if Iowan didn't say it first.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one belt loop wrote:

would be WWOP... ;)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

sactochris wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

I vaguely remember that night OBL. If I remember correctly, you were hanging out with the best looking couple in the whole joint. ;)

Yes, 'twas the night we first met. *sigh*

Give my love to the Mrs.!

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

would be WWOP... ;)

Great. Send me one after you've had a few.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

These poor guys have had their van robbed, AGAIN. It happened in St. Louis. If you know anyone there that can help please do. From their Facebook page:
Well, St. Louis strikes again. Our van was robbed last night in the (gated and keycard access) parking garage of the St. Louis City Center Sheraton. Three guitars, two amps, two basses, a pedalboard with pedals, and a GPS unit was stolen. Here's the list:

Gibson Les Paul Traditional (tobacco burst)
Gibson SG Special (black)
Fender '52 reissue Telecaster (blonde)
Fender Jazz Bass (natural)
Fender P Bass SE (blue)
Rivera Chubster 40
Fender Deluxe
Acoustic 200h bass head
Pedaltrain pedalboard, with...

Rivera amp switcher
Eventide Time Factor
Ibanez Tube Screamer (analog man mod)
Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Ernie Ball VP Jr
MXR Dyna Comp

If anyone has ANY ideas or information or anything at all, please let us or the St. Louis police department know. This is our livelihood. We can't play the rest of the tour if we don't find it.

Thanks for your help, friends.
There is a special place in hell for people that steal a person's livelihood.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

^ that's the worst. Bleah. How demoralizing.
have a good time all the time

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There is a special place in hell for people that steal a person's livelihood.
I don't believe in hell, but for instrument thieves and bad tippers, I'm willing to make an exception.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be