Bands You Respect, But Don't Necessarily Like/Listen To

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Bands You Respect, But Don't Necessarily Like/Listen To

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Giving this it's own thread. Thanks to Smitty for the idea.

I'd previously mentioned Pink Floyd in the this thread where the idea for this thread was originally mentioned. I'd like to add Steely Dan to my list. I don't always turn them off when they come on the radio because I do like a few of their songs but I've never had the desire to own any of their records. I admire them for their sound but something about them has always come off as too cold and calculated for my ears. They were also a staple of FM radio in my youth so burnout from overplay probably also factors into it.

Zip City

Re: Bands You Respect, But Don't Necessarily Like/Listen To

Post by Zip City »

I respect just about anyone who can make it as a musician, even though I probably don't like most of them
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

SandyBritches

Post by SandyBritches »

Radiohead.

I get that the music they make is genius. I try to like it. I want to like it. I just can't do it.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

New Order -- I am a huge Joy Division fan but never made the switch to New Order. I respect the hell out of what they've done. They changed the course of music twice. Invented post-punk with Joy Division then pioneered electronic/dance music with New Order. But I never listen to them despite owning a bunch of New Order vinyl and pretty much have everything they did on my ipod.

Wilco -- I respect them. I have just about every Wilco album on my ipod. But I never listen to them. I listen to Uncle Tupelo all the time.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

radiohead somewhat. I respect them far more than I actually like their music, although I'm a fan of parts of their catalogue.

also nine inch nails. I really respect trent reznor, but I'm not a big fan of nine inch nails at all - dig a few tracks but that's it. really like his soundtrack for the social network though.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I don't get Radiohead either, but they have the respect of many I respect, so they have to have something going for them.

Right with RevMatt on Wilco. I buy almost every album. Listen to it about about 3 times. And never listen to it again. Still listen to Uncle Tupelo a lot though.

Shuffle, see NIN live. That's the way I was before a live show.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

sg207 wrote:Shuffle, see NIN live. That's the way I was before a live show.

I want to, and wish I could. But they haven't toured here since '07, and they're not touring at all any more, right?
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Deer Tick

They seem like earnest kids, have the right influences, work hard, have a dedicated fan base but yet they do absolutely nothing for me. Even after I saw them live. a pity really.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Most of the pioneering metal bands of the 80's. Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, etc.

Rush.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tom Petty

Another case of actually owning some of his records but I wouldn't even go as far as to even consider myself a "casual fan". More times than not, his voice (if you wanna call it that) tends to grate on my nerves which results in me switching the dial as quickly as possible. That said, I have built up a tolerance for much of his music over the years. Hell, I even saw him in concert a few years ago but it was attending with a bunch of friends which made it all much more palatable. Love his radio show on XM, just not a big fan of his music.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Deer Tick

They seem like earnest kids, have the right influences, work hard, have a dedicated fan base but yet they do absolutely nothing for me. Even after I saw them live. a pity really.

The exact same thing happened to me. At least when I saw them, Dawes opened the show!
Keep calm and have a cigar

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

shuffle wrote:

I want to, and wish I could. But they haven't toured here since '07, and they're not touring at all any more, right?

Way down in this article (which is worth reading in its own right) there's a parenthetical suggestion which might help you out: I Am Trying To Believe (that Rock Stars aren't Dead)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

sg207

Post by sg207 »

shuffle wrote:

Not that I know of. I saw them at Lollapalooza maybe 3 or 4 years ago. About a year later they played in Lexington, but they haven't been around here either since then.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Hold Steady
Wilco
MMJ
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

The Decemberists
The Hold Steady
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I've tried and tired again, and aside from that time I was on hopped up on Tylenol 3s they haven't clicked for me. I'm sorry.

Centro-Matic
Not forever, just for now.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

'Scratch wrote:I've tried and tired again, and aside from that time I was on hopped up on Tylenol 3s they haven't clicked for me. I'm sorry.

Centro-Matic

They would have to be on my list.

Kudzu Guillotine

I also don't get Centro-matic but they have my utmost respect because they're so well regarded by fellow DBTs fans as well as the DBTs themselves. A friend gave me a copy of All the Falsest Hearts Can Try prior to them playing King's in Raleigh with Varnaline (Anders Parker) back in the early 00's but I wasn't able to connect with that record or their live show. I don't think either one was bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just couldn't get into them. I do keep trying though...

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

sg207 wrote:Right with RevMatt on Wilco. I buy almost every album. Listen to it about about 3 times. And never listen to it again. Still listen to Uncle Tupelo a lot though.

this
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I also don't get Centro-matic but they have my utmost respect because they're so well regarded by fellow DBTs fans as well as the DBTs themselves.

exactly

I'm almost embarrassed that I don't like their sound.
Last edited by Clams on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't run you rust

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

This is a great thread - and this would have to go back a few years, but the Strokes. Never really did it for me, even though they get/got a lotta props..

And not that they're related, but any of the "new" punk bands like Green Day. I saw the Ramones 11 times and the Clash once - there's really no comparison. I'm sorry - 'nuff said.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:This is a great thread - and this would have to go back a few years, but the Strokes. Never really did it for me, even though they get/got a lotta props..

And not that they're related, but any of the "new" punk bands like Green Day. I saw the Ramones 11 times and the Clash once - there's really no comparison. I'm sorry - 'nuff said.

Your mistake is thinking that Green Day is a punk band. They're somewhere between power pop and mainstream rock.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

beantownbubba wrote:
ramonz wrote:This is a great thread - and this would have to go back a few years, but the Strokes. Never really did it for me, even though they get/got a lotta props..

Your mistake is thinking that Green Day is a punk band. They're somewhere between power pop and mainstream rock.

They were definitely a punk band on 1,039 Slappy Hours, Kerplunk, and Dookie. About 1/2 of Insomoniac is a punk album as I remember( although I have not listened to that one since the year it came out. All of the rest of their shit seems to be more power pop or mainstream rock.
Something shitty like My Chemical Romance mixed with ripped off elements from The Who. Its very transparent and shitty nonetheless.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

This is a great thread, and it's tough because their's some opinions above with I agree with and some I disagree with, but it doesn't matter. Though, I agree with Centro-matic stuff. I want to really like them, but I can't seem to get there.

For me, and I've been almost crucified for saying this, it's Elvis Costello. I respect the hell out of him and what he's done for music and I love his TV show Specticles as he loves music and has such a grasp of its history. But, I'm really not all that interested in his music after "Armed Forces." In many cases the album sounds great, but I have no interest in listening to it again. Sorry everyone, but I hope I didn't offend.

I do love Deer Tick, had to get that in.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Gang Green wrote:This is a great thread, and it's tough because their's some opinions above with I agree with and some I disagree with, but it doesn't matter. Though, I agree with Centro-matic stuff. I want to really like them, but I can't seem to get there.

For me, and I've been almost crucified for saying this, it's Elvis Costello. I respect the hell out of him and what he's done for music and I love his TV show Specticles as he loves music and has such a grasp of its history. But, I'm really not all that interested in his music after "Armed Forces." In many cases the album sounds great, but I have no interest in listening to it again. Sorry everyone, but I hope I didn't offend.

I do love Deer Tick, had to get that in.

" I love Costello but I just can't quite bring myself to call him Elvis" Tom Petty

Kudzu Guillotine

Genesis
I remember seeing a photo of Peter Gabriel in my copy of the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock n' Roll where he was all done up in his stage garb, which is how I first learned of the band's early history. I guess I knew he had been with them at some point but I never really thought much of it. By this time (the mid to late 70s), my only exposure to Genesis had been the Phil Collins fronted version that I heard so often on the local AOR radio station (WQDR). There were some songs I liked OK but never enough to buy one of their records. Not so long after that, Phil Collins would be everywhere which would actually serve to turn me off not only to Phil but to Genesis as well. That said, I respect what they did for the art rock (for lack of a better word) world but I've never really been a fan of the vast majority of their music.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Husker Du

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Genesis
I remember seeing a photo of Peter Gabriel in my copy of the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock n' Roll where he was all done up in his stage garb, which is how I first learned of the band's early history. I guess I knew he had been with them at some point but I never really thought much of it. By this time (the mid to late 70s), my only exposure to Genesis had been the Phil Collins fronted version that I heard so often on the local AOR radio station (WQDR). There were some songs I liked OK but never enough to buy one of their records. Not so long after that, Phil Collins would be everywhere which would actually serve to turn me off not only to Phil but to Genesis as well. That said, I respect what they did for the art rock (for lack of a better word) world but I've never really been a fan of the vast majority of their music.

Back in the days I listened to prog rock I absolutely loved The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Frankly I'm afraid to listen to it now because I don't enjoy that kind of music anymore and I'd rather remember loving it that knowing that I hate it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Yall mentioned most of mine already - Wilco, Husker Du, Pink Floyd, The Hold Steady.

Will throw in Alejandro Escovedo (who I always want to like more than I do), Neko Case (Zzzzzzz), and Sun Ra.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Led Zeppelin, Cream, Pavement, Pearl Jam, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Grateful Dead, Warren Zevon, Big Star, Jayhawks, Phish, Nick Cave, Kinks, John Hiatt, Dinosaur Jr., Can, Dylan.

One of those is a lie.