Cover Songs

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LuthierJustin

Re: Cover Songs

Post by LuthierJustin »

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

LuthierJustin wrote:John 5 is so awesome, I love his work with albert lee as well

that explains a lot.

tinnitus photography

LuthierJustin wrote:John 5 is so awesome, I love his work with albert lee as well

that explains a lot.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Michael Stipe and Patti Smith at Patti's annual NYE show at the Bowery in NYC doing Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman".

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Kevin Russell of the Gourds (aka "Shinyribs") covering "Waterfalls" by TLC. He did this a few years ago when he opened a show for the Gourds at the Lincoln in Raleigh but I missed his set, dammit.

Kudzu Guillotine

A friend of mine on the Guitartown listserv collects versions of "The Weight", this is his most recent finding:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:A friend of mine on the Guitartown listserv collects versions of "The Weight", this is his most recent finding:

Nice "item" to collect. Whats your friends favorite version then?
The one on The Last Waltz is up there imo. I also like this one, although it is without vocals:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

A classic version
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

RolanK wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:A friend of mine on the Guitartown listserv collects versions of "The Weight", this is his most recent finding:

Nice "item" to collect. Whats your friends favorite version then?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

I'd probably go with the Staple Singers' version as being my favorite. Even though "The Weight" isn't really a gospel song, it's always felt like one to me. And that's their original version that i'm talking about, although their Last Waltz take with The Band and the version they did with Marty Stuart are both wonderful as well.

tinnitus photography

does he haev the Giant Sand version?

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Straight from the horse's mouth:

I'd probably go with the Staple Singers' version as being my favorite. Even though "The Weight" isn't really a gospel song, it's always felt like one to me. And that's their original version that i'm talking about, although their Last Waltz take with The Band and the version they did with Marty Stuart are both wonderful as well.

Your horse has got excellent taste in music. ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Beautiful Neil cover

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Mr. Isbell knows how to cover a tune.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

This is a cover: I dont know the original song. I dont particularly like this song: I just like how they're doing it.

I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Michael Stipe and Patti Smith at Patti's annual NYE show at the Bowery in NYC doing Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman".

THIS. THIS IS FREAKIN" AWESOME!
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

tinnitus photography wrote:

that explains a lot.

I thought it was pretty cool. I am a huge White Zombie/Rob Zombie fan and like his stuff with Rob too.

Kudzu Guillotine

Steve French wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Michael Stipe and Patti Smith at Patti's annual NYE show at the Bowery in NYC doing Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman".

THIS. THIS IS FREAKIN" AWESOME!

Yes, it is. Something tells me Stipe is going to miss making music more than he lets on. By the way, there's some pretty kick ass stuff happening down in Mexico in Peter Buck land:

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Cool. Heard about this via Steve Wynn's Facebook.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

RolanK wrote:Cool. Heard about this via Steve Wynn's Facebook.

One of my favorite concerts in recent memory is when The Baseball Project played the Cat's Cradle to around 20-30 of us a couple of years ago. We got some cool covers ("The Ballad of John and Yoko"), tunes from the Dream Syndicate, the Minus Five and others. I sure hope they see fit to play this area again in the near future. One thing that baffles me is why people don't seem to know who Peter Buck is outside of the confines of R.E.M. It seems like all the shows he's done at the Cradle over the years with Robyn Hitchcock, the Minus Five, Tuatura, etc. would have been packed out with R.E.M. fans but other than the two Robyn Hitchcock concerts I've seen there, the attendance was pretty low. Same thing for when Patterson played here with the Screwtopians a few years ago. Certainly, if someone is a fan of the Drive-By Truckers it would stand to reason that they know who Patterson Hood is. By the way, I'm not bitching as that Baseball Project show was intimate to the point of seeming like an open rehearsal, I just don't understand how someone could be a fan of R.E.M. or the Drive-By Truckers yet be completely unfamiliar with who Peter Buck or Patterson Hood are.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Hank III doing a Cheech & Chong classic

Kudzu Guillotine

A study in contrasts. I can appreciate the Move from a historical perspective but that doesn't stop Cheap Trick from absolutely owning this song.

Kudzu Guillotine

Three different takes on Goodman and Prine's original, including a version Goodman performed live in light of David Allan Coe's version of the song (which I'd never heard before). In the intro to Prine's version he tells the story of how he came to write the song with Goodman (which I'd also never heard before). In David Allan Coe's version from an old episode of Austin City Limits (which I have heard before) you can see Warren Haynes performing in Coe's band. I saw David Allan Coe for the first time many, many years ago at a club called Night Moves on the Circle in Atlantic Beach, NC (sight of my first beer in a bar, albeit illegal as I was underage at the time). I'm pretty sure this was during the same time period when Haynes was in Coe's band but I've yet to figure out if he was actually at the show I saw. In the interest of spinning a good yarn I usually tell folks he was. I only saw David Allan Coe one more time after that when he played at Roadies in Goldsboro, NC. He was too drunk to perform so he sat on a stool that night. I also seem to remember someone in the crowd pulling out a pistol. Ah, those were the days...

Kudzu Guillotine

The Backsliders' version of the Beat Farmers' "Gun Sale At the Church". Not sure where this rendition comes from as it was never on any of their official releases.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Three different takes on Goodman and Prine's original, including a version Goodman performed live in light of David Allan Coe's version of the song (which I'd never heard before). In the intro to Prine's version he tells the story of how he came to write the song with Goodman (which I'd also never heard before). In David Allan Coe's version from an old episode of Austin City Limits (which I have heard before) you can see Warren Haynes performing in Coe's band. I saw David Allan Coe for the first time many, many years ago at a club called Night Moves on the Circle in Atlantic Beach, NC (sight of my first beer in a bar, albeit illegal as I was underage at the time). I'm pretty sure this was during the same time period when Haynes was in Coe's band but I've yet to figure out if he was actually at the show I saw. In the interest of spinning a good yarn I usually tell folks he was. I only saw David Allan Coe one more time after that when he played at Roadies in Goldsboro, NC. He was too drunk to perform so he sat on a stool that night. I also seem to remember someone in the crowd pulling out a pistol. Ah, those were the days...

David Allen Coe doing Soulshine with Warren on guitar

Kudzu Guillotine

When I saw David Allan Coe that first time, it was with a very rockin' band (that also included a couple of his sons) which also leads credence to my Warren Haynes theory. I believe he was touring in support of his Human Emotions album at the time.

Kudzu Guillotine

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:

so 20 years later, Al finally records a Buck Satan record?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever