artist of the week 7.25.11: buddy holly

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

artist of the week 7.25.11: buddy holly

Post by dime in the gutter »

sampler: http://www.mediafire.com/?ple6p10u254i5kt

buddy holly (charles hardin holley)
born: september 7, 1936-lubbock, tx
died: february 3, 1959-clear lake/mason city, iowa

i've had a tough time figuring out how to tell the buddy holly story. although his life was short, it was a world wind of frenetic pace and accomplishment. his legacy is rock solid and his tale is wel known.....but it all happened so fast, it has been difficult to streamline for easy consumption. good luck. please excuse any grammatical errors. it is as it is.

buddy holly was my first love of rock and roll. my folks had a double lp called buddy holly rock and roll collection. still have it. still listen to it.

22 years old at the time of his death. holy shit....22 years old. this fact alone blows my mind. over 50 years of profound influence crammed into a few short years of performing and recording. every rock and roll band to come after buddy holly has been influenced by his work. how can a kid from the hinterlands in west texas come up with so much art and creativity? how much more did he have? buddy began home recordings at the age of 12. he began to professionally record at the age of 20. he released only 3 full length lp's, but had recorded scores of songs that would continue to be released for years after his death.

buddy holly's influence is immeasurable. an innovator of the highest order. buddy is probably most famous for his nasally, west texas syncopated yelp and his penchant for always hitting the downstroke of his fender strat. he was a true 5 tool player. one of the first to write his own music. he sang. he played lead and rhythm guitar. he arranged his music. he produced his music. buddy holly and the crickets were the first self contained rock and roll band. inspiring generations of kids to go out to the garage, plug in and bang out 3 chord rockers. the beatles took their name as an homage to the crickets. the hollies are named after him. the rolling stones first hit was not fade away. bob dylan credited buddy during his grammy acceptance speech for out of time. his music defined the sound of 60's radio and shaped the british invasion.

combining his love of hank williams, jimmie rodgers, bob wills and bo diddley with an amped up, electric guitar driven sound and gospel style backing vox....he created a new type of music. his music is undefinable and still sounds brand new to my ears. it is without equal.

elvis, chuck berry (to a lesser extent...he wrote many of his hits) and little richard were often using studio players, songwriters and high priced producers to create their magic....buddy was using his own band and his own hand to put his vision down on tape. he could do it all. amazing performer that left crowds dumfounded and listeners at home wondering how he used such lush instrumentation and so many layers of vocals w/o sounding like their momma's big band records. boy had talent. oh yeah, he could also kick out the jams.

a few facts about buddy holly.

1. could not read music
2. taught by his older brothers.....he could play banjo, guitar, fiddle, drums and steel guitar by the age of 10.
3. at the age of 4 he sang at a birthday party and was written up by the lubbock paper.
4. at the age of 5, won first prize in a talent contest. 5 bucks.
5. throughout the early 50's, buddy had a working band playing, parties, dances, school functions, etc.
6. bluegrass/western bop band in junior high called buddy and jack (neal)
7. played at local radio station KDAV on sundays.
8. KDAV is considered the first radio station in america with a alt-country format.
9. 1954. jack marries. buddy and bob (montgomery) were born.
10. playing as buddy and bob, opened for elvis in january 1955. Supposedly the first ever film of elvis performing is at this show. buddy is also seen in the clips.
11. inspired by elvis, he changes his tune to a rock and roll/country/rockabilly hybrid.
12. continued playing radio gigs, honky tonks, high school dances and roller rink friday nights.
13. signed a record contract with decca at the age of 20.
14. went to nashville but struck out with his recording. producers could not quite figure out how to record this new kind of music.

after the nashville sessions, buddy made his way to clovis, nm. (90 miles west of lubbock) to begin recording and learning from norman petty. the results would forever change the landscape of modern music.

released in 11/57. one of the great debut lp's of all time. due to bad record contracts, record was released under the name of the crickets. buddy had previously recorded some of the songs in nashville and was contractually prohibited from releasing any of the songs under his name...therefore, he released them under the name of the crickets. this would cost him dearly later, as he had difficulty in receiving all the monies owed to him. eventually, leading to his having to tour in the winter of 1959. at a time when full lp's were a total anomaly, buddy produced one of the all time, certifiably great records in rock music. throughout his career, buddy would record most of his work at this home built studio. he and his father actually finished out the attic with tile to form an echo chamber for use in his recordings. studio went on to record the likes of waylon jennings and roy orbison. same echo chamber. amazing backing vocals provided by the picks...a local singing group commandeered by buddy to record his music. chirping crickets is a rock and roll touchstone. every fan of rock music should own this album. a genius doing his thing, unlike anything ever heard before...so many layers and levels of genius. crystal clear sound and production. lighting in a bottle that would alter rock and roll.

1. oh, boy!: all-timer. amazing backing vocals and a blistering lead guitar from buddy. a scream for the ages. most certainly an influence on the beach boys as there is a oooohhh e ooooh in the middle section that sounds straight from the west coast.
2. not fade away: later became a hit for the rolling stones. buddy at his high and low end best. brilliant rhythm lead guitar. i hear a lot of hank williams. first ever jam song?
3. you've got love: barbershop quartet backing vocals. how did this dude think of all this shit?
4. maybe baby: rock and roll 101. just the name alone ranks it near the top of "cool dude" sayings. great, great song.
5. it's too late: precursor to the replacements within your reach? echo chamber. laying it on the line.
6. tell me how: special backing vox. mid song temo-downshift that defies imagination. speed bag baby. hi hats and amazing rhythm guitar.
7. that'll be the day: written after the famus john wayne line, "that'll be the day" from john ford's the searchers..
8. i'm looking for someone to love: 2 mins of rock bliss. buddy shreds his solo.
9. an empty cup (and a broken date): melancholy straight from lubbock.
10. send me some lovin: tug on the heart stings. more hiccups and oooh's. amazing vocals from buddy. great range.
11. last night: template for early pre-beatles, 60's radio. down in the deep well.
12. rock me my baby: opening guitar is so familiar, but can't quite place who used it successfully later on. breaks into a full on picking and grinning dance off.

to be continued....
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4sooner

Re: artist of the week 7.25.11: buddy holly

Post by 4sooner »

Outstanding work dime. BH was a trailblazer in every sense of the word.
looking forward to the next installment.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:buddy holly's influence is immeasurable. an innovator of the highest order. buddy is probably most famous for his nasally, west texas syncopated yelp and his penchant for always hitting the downstroke of his fender strat. he was a true 5 tool player. one of the first to write his own music. he sang. he played lead and rhythm guitar. he arranged his music. he produced his music. buddy holly and the crickets were the first self contained rock and roll band. inspiring generations of kids to go out to the garage, plug in and bang out 3 chord rockers. the beatles took their name as an homage to the crickets. the hollies are named after him. the rolling stones first hit was not fade away. bob dylan credited buddy during his grammy acceptance speech for out of time. his music defined the sound of 60's radio and shaped the british invasion.

That's some incredible stuff right there. Nice work dime. My first exposure to Buddy Holly was in my teens when I used to listen to that Springsteen bootleg from 1978 at the Roxy in L.A. when he opened the show with Rave On. After that, I went through a Buddy faze in college when I bought one of his greatest hits records. Like Elvis and Hank, his songs never seem like "oldies" - they always have an edge that separates them from the pack.

Looking forward to the next installment.

PS - special thanks to dime for stepping up with this thread on short notice due to a cancelation a few weeks ago.
If you don't run you rust

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I approve this AotW. Buddy Holly deserves so much more credit than we already shower him with.

dime in the gutter

while songs from the chirping crickets lp were rocketing up the charts, buddy holly and his band were touring non-stop. county fairs, packaged tours and radio gigs all across america led to multiple trips abroad. he spent several weeks as the only white act touring with the likes of little richard. although disputed by dale hawkins, the apollo theatre lists buddy as the first white artist to ever play at the famed venue. a trip to the uk for a 25 day tour was followed by stints in australia and hawaii. our boy was making his mark on the road. hammering out hit after hit in his completely professional, totally amiable and absolutely rocking style. even with all of the touring, our hero still found time to record and produce his records.

2nd lp....buddy holly
released 3/58. recorded mostly at the same time as the chirping crickets lp, back in clovis, nm. this record finds buddy stretching out a little bit more. less backing vocals and more instrumentation with production sneaks and tricks. same players picking away in a different direction. very particular about how he could get the sound in his head on to tape, buddy experimented with microphone placements and pick-up locations....placing speakers in cardboard boxes for certain effects...guitars run thru his organ speakers......always tinkering with the sound to get it just right. already a prolific performer and writer of ungodly music, buddy was now becoming a studio genius that would later be the template for the beatles success.

1. i'm gonna love you too: simple tune made remarkable by the background humming.
2. peggy sue: we all know about this one. all timer great rock song. the drumming is actually a paradiddle recorded thru an amp on which the volume was rotated from loud to soft to loud to soft. changed the name from cindy lou to peggy sue to honor his drummer's (ji allison) gf.
3. look at me: cool ass piano provided by vi petty, wife of norman petty.
4. listen to me: echo chamber and tom toms. strange rhythmic guitar genius. swirling beauty.
5. valley of tears: buddy's take on a fat's domino tune. more roller rink organ. love this one.
6. ready teddy: straight up rocker. growls better than elvis, sounds dirtier than little richard.....plus he plays that fucking axe.
7. everyday: beautiful song. vi petty chimes in with the glockenspiel celeste....no shit. ji allison keeps time by slapping his thighs.
8. mailman, bring me no blues: beatles covered this one. pristine guitar, low end piano and a sad texan behind the mic.
9. words of love: love this vocal. bongos? triangles? some twisty guitar riffs. sounds like a carnival.
10. you're so square: all time classic covered by many. this version sounds like buddy channeling the everly bros.
11. rave on: full on rock and roll. everlasting vocal.
12. little baby, baby me: west texas honky tonk stylings. bar room boogie woogie piano.

3rd lp...that'll be the day
recorded first but released last. cashing in on buddy's star power, decca decided to release ( just 2 months after the buddy holly lp and only 5 months after the chriping crickets lp) his nashville recording from back in 1956. it would be the last full lp that buddy holly released prior to his death. most of these tracks are available on various best of collections. more country and rockabilly than previous two lps. scheduled for reissue in 11/2011....can't wait.

1. you are my one desire
2. blue days, black nights
3. modern don juan
4. rock around with ollie vee
5. ting a ling
6. girl on my mind
7. that'll be the day
8. love me
9. i’m changing all those changes
10. don’t come back knockin
11. midnight shift

decca and coral records continued to release buddy holly lp's with original songs for a full 10 years after his untimely death. there are too many greatest hits packages to count. they are all chocker block full of rock and roll gold. i have these and they are damn fine.

to be continued.....
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime, outstanding work. Buddy Holly was so great that he gets forgotten by many because his music became so ubiquitous. And as you say he died at 22! Hard to comprehend that. One of my all time favorite AotW features. Thanks for this my friend.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Great stuff dime!

Having grown up about an hour from the crash site, and having seen countless shows at the Surf Ballroom over the years, his legacy is something I've always been aware of, yet probably take for granted. A true innovator, and a hell of a song writer. His influence knows no bounds.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Very well done.
As others said, he deserves every bit of praise he gets and then some: Everything rock and roll was, is, or will be, you can hear a piece of in his music.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

dime - You did a fantastic job covering Buddy. I've never seen you string this many complete sentences together. It was some fine literature. I wish some responsible party would Youtube that early Elvis clip (w/young Buddy). There's a criminally small amount of Buddy video available in general. As you say, Buddy may very well be the single most influential person in all of rock.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

cool!

just to slide off topic a bit, has anyone got that covers album (the recent one, with those people on it?)
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Nice work dime! As others have said, it is just incredible what he accomplished by the age of 22.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

dime in the gutter

the norman petty ?.....

norman petty......cannot have a thread dedicated to buddy holly without a few details about his relationship with norman petty. i am no buddy holly archivist and many of the facts and figures lie in the realm of folklore/hearsay with regard to their working partnership....but i will give it shot.

norman petty was the owner of the clovis, nm studio where buddy recorded most of his music. he had a bit of a performing career earlier in his music life, but not much to report. he was widely regarded as an excellent sound man with good recording equipment. buddy and norman began working together in 1956 with that'll be the day. it was a mutually beneficial relationship for both men, as they produced state of the art, yet timeless music and each achieved wealth and fame. some would argue that norman petty was on the top end of the deal....as so many of the early rock and roll business types were. norman would eventually sign on as buddy's manager and business partner in a new record label called prism records. waylon jennings, i believe, was their first and only artist/client. buddy actually produced and played on waylon's earliest recorded tracks. after buddy's death, norman would go on to a stellar career. while it is fact that norman actually produced records for early 60's rockabilly acts like the fireballs and jimmy gilmer.....he was typically credited as being a composer and recording engineer while working with roy orbison, waylon jennings, bobby vee, chet atkins and the everly bros, among others. the vast majority of his production credits lie within the holly catalog....and he would never again acheive the success or quality of art as he did while working with buddy holly. additionally, much to his detriment, buddy was famous for giving songwriting credits to friends, band mates, family members and others who happened to be around at the time of his writing the material. due to buddy's generosity, norman petty is credited with being a co-writer on much of buddy's music. insiders say that he was not instrumental in any of buddy's songwriting, but still received some co-credits. was norman a driving force behind the buddy holly sound? or did buddy bring the ideas and vision into the studio and simply need a competent sound engineer to record what he was doing? truth may never be known. what is known fact is that norman petty was twisting the knobs at the sound board during buddy's sessions in clovis, nm. he acted as a mentor to a very young and fast rising star in buddy holly.

their partnership soured quickly near the end of buddy's life. he was fired as buddy's producer, manager and business partner. buddy moved to new york and began working in a new studio with new people....more control for the young texan. financial disagreements, shoddy contracts and withheld royalty checks sent buddy holly in a new direction with his career. a new wife, a new town and new aspirations followed.

to be continued....

Clams

Post by Clams »

Waylon and Buddy

Image[

dime in the gutter

song that he and waylon wrote together. recorded at a radio station in lubbock.

written for buddy holly.

not sure how to credit this. interview with waylon about buddy holly.

"Buddy was an upper, just a happy person. He would laugh and cut up all the time. We'd lay back in the studio and play guitars, and Buddy would tell us stories. Our eyes would bug out of our heads because he'd been all over the world. He would talk about people like the Everly Brothers and Jerry Lee and Elvis.

"He'd say, 'When you know it's wrong it is wrong, so don't accept anything less. Nobody knows your music like you do.' He'd tell me about not getting locked in and developing a style. I learned so damned much from him, about rhythms, and not overstaying your welcome, and not compromising. He had a dose of Nashville where they wouldn't let him sing it the way he heard it and wouldn't let him play his own guitar parts. Can't do this, can't do that. 'Don't ever let people tell you you can't do something,' he'd say, 'and never put limits on yourself. Don't back up.' It was all in the singer and the song. That was it.

entire interview here:
http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/related/jennings.html

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Great post Dime. I also got a tape of Buddy Holly Lives when I was younger. Wore that tape out. Now I have some more and I really dig the early rockabilly stuff.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

First Rock crush...true love ways...first rock song swoon...my Daddy thinks he may have seen him live just days before he died (but can't be sure, the mind plays tricks, kwim?)...not fade away (bop, bop, bop, bop)...way to go Dime! Still holdin' it down.
NSFW

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Fantastic, Dime!
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Clams

Post by Clams »

reaching into the nooks and crannies of rock and roll history. good stuff, dime.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I forgot to mention I have dog named Peggy Sue

dime in the gutter

more facts about buddy holly.

15. asked his wife to marry him the first day they met.
16. played drums for dion and the belmonts the nite he crashed and died.
17. buddy and his band (including waylon jennings on bass) were the backing band for the entire winter tour of 1959...meaning they would back up all the other artists on the tour, then play their set.
18. paul mccartney owns the publishing rights to the buddy holly catalog.
19. well alright was written around a oft-used saying by little richard while touring together. cracks me up just thinking about it. one of my favorite songs ever.
20. buddy was doing a radio interview in lubbock...somebody called in and bet him that he could not write and record a song in 30 mins. he wrote and recorded you're the one w/ waylon jennings.
21. broke his teeth before a gig in hammersmith, london.
22. wanted to start developing/producing younger talent with his new record label.
23. shortly before death, he approached ray charles about working with him.
24. was writing and home-recording at his apt in new york in the months before he died.
25. bob dylan saw him 2 nites before he died in mn. maybe lm's dad saw him.
26. factish: originally, elton john did not need glasses but wore them to emulate buddy holly. his eyes went bad because of it....resulting in him actually needing to wear specs.
27. was much bigger in the uk than here in america.
28. keef saw holly and heard not fade away for the first time ever. seven years later it would be a #3 hit.
29. often played three gigs per tour date.
30. recorded 4 songs (true love ways, it doesn't matter any more, moondreams, raining my heart) in 3.5 hours with the dick jacobs orchestra. 4 orchestral songs in 3.5 hours.......boy wonder indeed.

to be continued....
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Outstanding choice & work dime! Lightning in a bottle. Brilliant and so influential. I thought I knew the back story pretty good, but you've unearthed some amazing nuggets of information. Great read. Bravo!

It's a pointless exercise to ponder, but I often wonder "what if"? The musical landscape could have been very different.

dime in the gutter

random musings about buddy holly:

johnny ramone owes the very core of his sound to buddy holly....downstroke only, baby. ergo...per se, your honor.....buddy holly influenced punk rock more than anyone. kinda an interesting parallel, in that buddy set the template for expanding rock and roll with layers and instrumentation.....where as, the ramones stroke of genius was stripping it back down to the basics.

metallica may owe the same debt....not knowledgeable enough about metal to say with certainty. but i'm thinking it.

dime in the gutter

redstains

Post by redstains »

love the post, love buddy holly and love his story. hard to believe he died so young, with his music having such a presence. then again, it's hard to believe about many - otis, sam cooke, ronnie van zant, duane allman, hendrix, janis, jim, kurt, but i guess that is rock and roll...

he's been on my mind recently in regards to dbt.

first, their recent rousing appearance on letterman reminded me of seeing gary busey on there way way before everybody with cable knew how crazy he was, and he was doing his crazy letterman bit, and the musical guest didn't make it, so he offered to play, and he played some buddy holly, and it may not have been great, but it was still pretty cool and unique, and you know, it was rock and roll. band's not here? well fuck it, i'm having a good time, i'll play! dude is nuts but i still like him. you know what sober stands for? son ofa bitch everything's real.

i tried searching the internets for mention of said occasion, and having found none, i'm feeling like i may well be off my rocker on this one, so if anyone else happens to remember this please share.

second, within the last couple years i've noticed a couple similarities with don maclean's american pie (the song - don't know the album so well) and sro. general, surface similarities, but interesting nonetheless. american pie is about an incredibly influential, incredibly gifted artist who died too young, and a snotty nosed young kid thinking rock and roll is new fucking everything up. well, not really, but kinda. ronnie and neil is about an incredibly influential, incredibly gifted artist who died too young, and a smart assed canadian hippy thinking all southern men burn crosses and blow up churches. ok, not at all. but kinda. i should say that i love buddy holly, bob dylan, skynyrd, and neil young, and american pie too, and recognizing and celebrating the differences between and influences upon and shared is one of the things that makes music and rock and roll great.

last, i quoted buddy holly's it's so easy in a poem i wrote and recited for my girl right before i proposed to her on a mountain top. she said yes. thanks buddy for the lines and inspiration, and thanks dime for the post.

dime in the gutter

nice post.

love to see that letterman clip. busey was awesome in that movie.

buddy has no peers.

dime in the gutter

reboot for aotw.

the day the music died. 2/3/59

to be continued....

dime in the gutter

buddy holly disbanded the crickets, fired his manager, got married and moved to greenwich village in the fall of 1958. he began recording at home and working with new people in the new york music biz....he was charting a new course for his career. he had sold over 5 million record in the previous 6 months. long gone were the days of non stop bus tours playing county fairs and roller rinks....or not. he was on top of the world.....but he was broke. still owed royalty payments and expecting a new child, buddy decided to hit the road on a winter tour of the mid west.

tour was running rough shod thru the coldest parts of the country in the dead of winter. 24 cities in 3 weeks. his drummer got frostbitten feet when the bus heater broke down and was forced to quit the tour. buddy's band served as the back up band for all of the acts on the winter dance party tour....therefore, buddy had to play drums for dion and the belmonts, ritchie valenz and the big bopper. once his drumming duties were over....buddy, waylon jennings and tommy alsup would take the stage and bang out his tunes. aaahhh, the rock and roll lifestyle.

buddy was always a sharp, snazzy dresser. typically taking the stage wearing a suit or even tuxedo. after 2 weeks on the road, buddy was out of clean clothes. he needed to do laundry. therefore, he rented a small airplane for him and his band to get a head start to the next gig in minnesota. our hero needed to find a laundry mat and wash his scivvies.

for whatever reason, waylon jennings and tommy alsup decided to stay on the bus and gave their seats to the big bopper and ritchie valenz. rumor has it that seats on the plane were won/lost in a card game. others say that waylon gave up his seat for a flu stricken big bopper.

ultimately, the plane took off in the early morning hours of 2/3/59. shortly after take off, it crashed, instantly killing all 3 rockers and the pilot.

buddy was buried in lubbock, tx.

notice the correct spelling of buddy's name.

22 years old.

the day the music died.

to be continued.....

dime in the gutter

courtesy of aquarium drunkard.

norman petty and that "clovis sound"
http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2011/11/07/norman-petty-that