3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: 3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Post by Clams »

Gram's Solo Years

Having been fired from the Burritos, Gram struck out on his own and quickly landed a contract to record a solo record for A&M. However, the project stalled due to his drug and alcohol abuse and the plug was eventaully pulled by A&M. Gram quickly landed on his feet - this time in London with old pal Keef, where he continued to tutor his friend in all things country music (and all things drugs/acohol). In 1970-71, Gram along with his girlfriend Gretchen Burell, managed to make his way to France's Mediterranean coast, where he became Keef's houseguest at Nellcote as the Stones recorded Exile on Main Street. He is rumored to have contributed backup vocals on Sweet Virginia, and really, do you think the country sound of Sweet Virgina and Torn & Frayed (not to mention future Stones songs such as Dead Horses and Far Away Eyes) is a coincidence? But after a while, Mick was starting to feel threatened by Gram's presence and influence on Keith. Add in the massive quantities of drugs (hard stuff like heroin) and alcohol, which were excessive even to Keith's standards, and Gram had worn out his welcome with the Stones. He returned to the States with Gretchen, were the pair soon got married.

Emmy Lou Arrives
In 1971, Gram got back in touch with Chris Hillman who was then still with the Burritos, and it was arranged for Gram to appear with his old band at a show in Maryland. While there, Hillman urged Gram to go to Washington DC to check out a new singer that Burritos Rick Roberts and Kenny Wertz had discovered. The next night Gram and Gretchen went to a sparsely attended show at Clyde's in DC to check the young folk singer out. Her name was Emmylou Harris and she was 23 years old. Gram was immediately taken by her voice and he sat in with her for the evening's second set. After the show, they sang some duets and Gram convinced her to come to LA to sing on his new solo record.

Gram went back to LA convinced that having the young Emmylou Harris on board was just what he needed to secure a solo record deal. He was right, as a deal with Reprise was quickly reached. After first securing a producer (attempts to get Keith and then Merle Haggard to produce were unsuccessful), Gram put togther a band that included three of Elvis Presley's sidemen (he dipped into his trust fund to pay their substantial salaries) and several ex-Burrito Brothers, and of course Emmylou who was by now his duet partner. By this time, Gram had seemed to grasp that this might be a final chance and he had cleaned his act up (somewhat). The record, called GP, was recorded in the fall of '72 and featured six Parsons originals and several outstanding covers: We'll Sweep Out the Ashes and That's All it Took both feature Emmylou and are simply stunning. (The moment when her angelic voice comes in at about the 30 second mark of That's All it Took gives me goose bumps every time.) The cover versions of Streets of Baltimore and Kiss the Children are standouts as well. GP was a critical success, but commercially it flopped.

GP and the Fallen Angels
After GP was released in early '73, Gram put together his touring band, The Fallen Angels.
On board were road manager and bad influence Phil Kaufman (Gram's "executive nanny"), various wives and girlfriends, band members, an ex-Marine bus driver named Ledfoot, and various groupies and hangers-on. At first the tour was a mess. The first few shows in Denver featured a wasted Parsons, musicians who couldn't play and who threatened to abandon the tour. Gram even fired his guitar player and replaced him (for the entire remainder of the tour no less!) with a dude from the Denver audience. Things did improve as the tour progressed and Gram Parsons and The Fallen Angels played some very successful and well-attended shows through Texas (Neil Young and Linda Ronstadt joined them onstage in Houston) and east through New York, Philly and Boston.

By the end of the tour, the Fallen Angels were doing great, but Gram's marriage wasn't. His wife Gretchen, predictably, was uncomfortable with his relationship with Emmylou, though to this day, a romantic affair between them has never been admitted or proven. Gretchen was also unhappy with his drug/alcohol abuse. What to do? Have Phil Kaufman ship her back home to California, of course! After the Fallen Angels tour, Gram made an effort to patch things up with Gretchen, and also his step-father Bob Parsons and his wife, by taking a vacation together. That did not go well, as Bob confessed that Gram's mother Avis had died after he had smuggled small bottles of vodka to her as she lay hospitalized for alcohol poisoning. It was apparently those last few vodka drinks that did her in. It is said that Gram never recovered from this news.
Gretchen and Gram are the two on the right.

In June of '73, Gram and Emmylou went on a Warner Brothers country rock road show with, among others, a group called The New Kentucky Colonels, which consisted of several ex-Byrds and Burritos including Clarence White, Sneaky Pete Kleinow and Chris Etheridge. During this tour, Gram's close friend Clarence White was killed by a drunk driver as he loaded his gear into a van. Gram was extremely drunk and fucked up at White's funeral. It was here, after he sang Farther Along with Bernie Leadon, that Gram and Phil Kaufman (allegedly) made their pact that, should either of them die, they didn't want a conventional funeral but rather cremation in thir beloved Death Valley. As recalled by band member Chis Etheridge, Gram told Phil Kaufman, "Phil, if this happens to me, I don't want them doing this to me. You can take me out to the desert and burn me. I want to go out in a cloud of smoke."

The Grievous Angel and His Hour of Darkness
Soon after that funeral, an errant cigarette caused Gram's and Gretchen's Laurel Canyon home to burn down with all their possessions (save a guitar and a car). Apparently all these tragedies were more than he and Gretchen could take, and the pair separated. Gram moved in with Kaufman and in June '73 he began recording his follow up record which was called The Grievous Angel. Like GP it included the Elvis Presly sidemen and various of Parsons former bandmates. The fabulous record included six Parsons originals and a number of covers including The Louvin Bros' Cash on the Barrelhead, Tom T Hall's I Can't Dance, a duet with Emmylou on Love Hurts (made famous by The Everly Bros) and a new cover song called Hearts on Fire (another duet with Emmylou), that was written by her boyfriend Tom Guidera and Walter Egan. In addition to several older Parsons' originals (She, $1000 Wedding, Hickory Wind and Oooh Las Vegas), the record included two new Parsons songs: a rambling song about traveling across the young United States called Return of the Grievous Angel, and the haunting In My Hour of Darkness which was written following the deaths of Clarence White and two other friends but which is told in the first person and seems eerily autobiographical, as if Gram was foreshadowing his own death:

Another young man safely strummed his silver string guitar
And he played to people everywhere, some say he was a star
But he was just a country boy, his simple songs confess
And the music he had in him so very few possess

In my hour of darkness, in my time of need
Oh Lord, grant me vision, oh Lord, grant me speed

With the record completed but not yet released by Reprise, Gram was planning a big tour for the fall of 1973. He had also instructed his attorney to draw up divorce papers. So with the record in the can and his personal life becoming more focused, he decided to head out to Joshua Tree for a few days in the desert. As we know now, this trip to the desert ended with Gram's bizarre death. Grievous Angel was released posthumously in January 1974. Continuing a trend, it got rave reviews but flopped commercially, peaking at a disappointing #195 on the charts.

Next up: Gram's legacy and some odds and ends.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

this is how you do an AOTW. Great job, Clams.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

what Smitty said

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I was thinking about volunteering to do an AOTW on Chris Knight when things settled down and I had more time, but after seeing what a fantastic job Clams did with GP, I'm afraid anything I come up with will pale in comparison.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Awesome job Clams! I'm a big fan of Gram Parsons. In addition to the tribute album mentioned in the thread, I also own Commemorativo: A Tribute to Gram Parsons, which was released by Rhino in 1993 and features (among others) Steve Wynn, Uncle Tupelo, Bob Mould & Vic Chesnutt, and The Mekons.
I have the Ben Fong-Torres book which I recommend. I haven't checked out the others yet.
Do you know if any audio or video of Neil and Linda sitting in at that Houston show is in circulation? I suspect the answer is "no" as I've been on the Neil Young listserv for many years and don't recall hearing about it.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Way to go clams. Some great info in there.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Outfuckingstanding Clams! Just read the entire thing in one shot. I first heard about Gram when one of my cooler roommates back in the 80's was into Sweetheart of the Rodeo and even though I was into Green On Red, Jason And the Scorchers, Lone Justice,etc. at the time it was still a little too country for me. But in the last 10 years or so i have learned to love it. Like LAjakes i also have the anthology and it is excellent-has the essential Flying Burrito Bros. songs on it.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

GP is securely entrenched in my top ten all time favorite artists... maybe top five. This thread does him justice. I have every one of the above mentioned albums in a playlist which I often place on "shuffle-songs" and just let it ride for days on end... Way to go Clams!

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Legacy of Gram Parsons
Gram's music was a fusion of country, rock and soul that he called "Cosmic American Music." At the time, nobody else was doing it. Basically, you were country or rock or soul. But Gram pursued his sound and recorded his music, and in so doing he set several movements into motion - including most significantly the laid back 1970's country/rock sound of southern Calif bands like The Eagles and Jackson Browne, and then the 1990's sound of bands like Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown and the Jayhawks all of whom took what Gram Parsons did and turned it into what we now call "alt-country." He may not have sold a lot of records, but Gram has been cited as a major influence by countless artists including 3DD faves such as Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Tom Petty, Steve Earle, Wilco, of course Emmylou Harris, and the list could go on. You can argue that Gram was a spoiled rich kid who just wanted to get high and hang with the Stones, but you can't overlook his success at blending country and rock at a time when nobody else was doing it. If you like "3DD music," then chances are you owe a debt of gratitude to Gram Parsons.

And then there's his undeniable influence on The Stones. The Stones "country" songs are some of my very favorites in their catalogue: Far Away Eyes, Sweet Virginia, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers just to name a few. There's no way we'd have these songs were it not for Gram's friendship and tutelage of Keef. Here's the essay Keith himself wrote for Rolling Stone magazine when they named Gram the 87th greatest artist of all time:
Like I know the blues, Gram Parsons knew country music — every nuance, every great country song that was ever written. And he could express it all — the music from Nashville and Bakersfield, California, the stuff from Texas — in his singing and songwriting. But he also had intelligence and honesty. That's the kind of guy I like to hang with. Also, he loved to get stoned. At the time, that was an added plus.

I first met Gram in 1968, when the Byrds were appearing in London — I think it was a club called Blazes. I knew the Byrds from Mr. Tambourine Man on; the Stones had worked some shows in California with them back then. But when I saw them at Blazes with Gram, I could see this was a radical turn. I went backstage, and we hooked up. Then the Byrds came through London again, on their way to South Africa. I was like, "Man, we don't go there." The sanctions and the embargo were on. So he quit the Byrds, right there and then. Of course, he's got nowhere to stay, so he moved in with me.

Basically, we hung around together, like musicians do. We'd spend hours and hours at the piano, swapping ideas. Gram and I both loved the songs of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant — the Everly Brothers stuff they wrote. We both loved that melancholy, high-lonesome shit. We were always looking for the next heart-tugger, looking to pull that extra heartstring.

As a songwriter, Gram worked very much like I do, which is to knock out a couple of chords, start to spiel and see how far it can go, rather than sitting around with a piece of paper and a pen, trying to make things fit neatly together. But he would also work very hard — harder than I ever did — on honing it down.

Mick and Gram never really clicked, mainly because the Stones are such a tribal thing. At the same time, Mick was listening to what Gram was doing. Mick's got ears. Sometimes, while we were making Exile on Main Street in France, the three of us would be plonking away on Hank Williams songs while waiting for the rest of the band to arrive. Gram had the biggest repertoire of country songs you could imagine. He was never short of a song.

The drugs and drinking — he was no better or worse than the rest of us. He just made that one fatal mistake — taking that one hit after he cleaned up, still thinking he could take the same amount. And it was too fucking much. But he didn't get into dope because of us. He knew his stuff before he met us.

I think he was just getting into his stride when he died. His actual output — the number of records he made and sold — was pretty minimal. But his effect on country music is enormous. This is why we're talking about him now. But we can't know what his full impact could have been. If Buddy Holly hadn't gotten on that plane, or Eddie Cochran hadn't turned the wrong corner, think of what stuff we could have looked forward to, and be hearing now. It would be phenomenal.

In a way, it's a matter of lost love. Gram was everything you wanted in a singer and a songwriter. He was fun to be around, great to play with as a musician. And that motherfucker could make chicks cry. I have never seen another man who could make hardened old waitresses at the Palomino Club in Los Angeles shed tears the way he did.

It was all in the man. I miss him so.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... s-19691231

Odds and Ends...

Gram Movies
If you're inclined, there are at least two worthwhile movies about Gram Parsons. The first is Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel, a straightforward biography/documentary that tells Gram's life story through photos, videos and interviews with family members, rock historians, groupies, and folks who played with him including Keith Richards, Emmylou Harris and Chris Hillman. Fact-based, informative and touching.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Gram_ ... id=2361637

The other movie is called Grand Theft Parsons. It stars Johnny Knoxville and Christina Applegate and tells the tale of Gram's body being stolen and cremated etc from the point of view of his crazy manager Phil Kaufman (Kaufman himself helped make the movie). It's a ridiculous, cheesy and completely over the top film, but then again, so are the facts on which the movie is loosely based. But the problem is that this movie makes it impossible to tell what's truth and what's fiction. So if this film is all someone ever knows about Gram Parsons, they will be seriously misguided. The better move is to first watch the Fallen Angel documentary so you'll know what really happened, and then the next night settle in with a few drinks and get some laughs with Grand Theft Parsons.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Grand ... id=2361637

ImageImage

Return of the Grievous Angel: The Story Behind the Song
Also of interest are several features from a fabulous music/country style blog called When You Awake (http://www.whenyouawake.com). They've done several Gram-related features. First up is a story called The Return of the Grievous Angel: The Story Behind the Song. It basically tells you everything you ever wanted to know (and more) about the song. Here is the bulk of the piece with a link to the entire blog entry at the bottom:

You may be surprised to learn that the lyrics to the song were mostly written not by Parsons, but by a shy young poet named Thomas Stanley Brown (hereafter Tom Brown).
As the story goes, Brown came up to Gram Parsons in a bar called Olivers in Boston where he was performing during the summer of 1973 and handed Parsons a sheet of lyrics that he’d written, asking him to please consider setting it to music.
Brown’s poetic lyrics tell of a man coming home after having lit out for the west, to unknown territory, in order to experience life and get a little livin’ under his belt. Now he’s coming back, hat in hand, asking the girl he’d left behind to let him inside so he can tell her about all of the things that he’s seen on his adventures.

Brown to this day is still credited with co-writing the song, which first appeared as the lead-off track on Parsons’ second solo album, Grevious Angel (Reprise 2171). The record was released posthumously, in January 1974, just a few short months after his death (at age 26) on September 19, 1973.

The album turned out to be both Gram Parsons’ artistic peak as a solo artist and, some might say, his last will and testament. Parsons’ affairs were in such disarray after his death that initially the song was credited solely to him in the first pressing of the album, but Parsons’ estate later acknowledged the actual authorship as soon as Brown came forward. Parsons also added a few lines of his own and fine-tuned it (particularly, the section where he sings about the “man on the radio”). These lyrics, incidentally, were in a notebook that Gram grabbed as he fled from his home, which burned down shortly before the second solo album sessions were scheduled to begin.

Brown was, unfortunately, not given credit on any releases until the early ’80s when a 45rpm single was released with an alternate version of “Return of the Grievous Angel” (backed with a purported remix of Parsons song “Hearts On Fire”).
In Hickory Wind: The Life And Times Of Gram Parsons (St. Martins Press: NY, 1991), author Ben Fong-Torres includes just two short mentions of Brown, and reveals that Gram Parsons had visited Harvard earlier the same day as the gig in Boston, where he had paid a visit to a friendly college adviser of his named Reverend James Thomas, who was also known to some of his friends and colleagues as “Jet.”

It’s possible that Brown was a student at Harvard at that time — Parsons had attended the University himself, between September 1965 and February of 1966. Fong-Torres says that “Return Of The Grievous Angel” actually chronicled Brown’s romance with his wife, or the woman who became his wife (“Sweet Annie Rich”) but that Brown also “had Gram in mind, too. The title was inspired by a photo he’d seen of a sad-looking Gram; the king with the head full of speed was Gram.”

Fong-Torres describes the song in this way: “‘Return Of The Grievous Angel’ sounded like pure Parsons with its conversational tone, its crisp descriptions evoking the South and ‘the truckers and the kickers and the cowboy angels,’ its Dylanesque reference to a meeting with ‘the King’ ‘on his head an amphetamine crown,’ and it’s swooping chorus tailor-fit for Gram and Emmylou’s hand-held harmonies.”

At one time there was a magazine or fanzine called Cosmic American Music News which actually featured a short interview with Tom Brown, of which here is an excerpt:

CAMN: Did you give Gram the lyrics in Boston?

Brown: Yes, I gave Gram the lyrics at a club called Oliver’s, near Fenway Park in Boston. I believe the club is called something else now.

CAMN: What were you doing as a living when you gave Gram the song?

Brown: At the time of the meeting in Boston, I had been studying and writing poetry for about a dozen years. Only once had I tried to adapt my writing to music; a high school friend had a band that got a record deal out of New York. He asked me to help him write some material, but his label people had no idea what to make of our work. They said it was too “wiggy” for release. A year or so later, Bob Dylan’s first record with obscure, scatter-shot lyrics came out. We had to laugh and like so many others, we got a huge hit off it.

As good as Brown’s lyrics are, Parsons’ melody makes them all the more memorable, especially the gentle but determined chorus that gives the heartstrings a firm and determined yank. Parsons’ original recording played the “lovable rogue with a heart of gold” card for all it was worth, while Lucinda Williams’ 1999 rough-and-ready cover managed to up the toughness quotient a few notches.

According to Fong-Torres, in December 1973 as Reprise prepared Grievous Angel for release, Gram’s wife Gretchen (with whom he’d filed papers in order to begin divorce proceedings) put a stop to plans for the album to feature a cover photo of Gram and Emmylou astride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle (with Emmylou’s arms resting on Gram’s shoulders).

Joe Smith, the president of Warner Bros. Records at the time (Reprise and Warner Bros. would later be combined as Warner-Reprise), chose to “respect the family’s wishes,” and Emmylou was relegated to a back-of-the-cover LP credit with no photos of her whatsoever.

As for what happened to Thomas Stanley Brown, we’ve contacted several of Parsons’ recent biographers, but none of them were able to provide any clue as to Brown’s current whereabouts, and we were unable to locate him either. The publisher representing Brown’s share of the song’s royalties doesn’t even know what happened to him, which seems surprising. Perhaps, he too “headed west to grow up with the country,” and his Kerouac-ian adventures have led him to places unknown, places from which he hasn’t returned. Or perhaps, like George Webber at the end of Thomas Wolfe’s novel You Can’t Go Home Again, he has found that ”You can’t go back home to your family, back home to your childhood,…back home to a young man’s dreams of glory and of fame…back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time — back home to the escapes of Time and Memory.”

Nostalgia makes us yearn for places from our past, but those places — perhaps in the mostly metaphysical sense — no longer exist, at least not in the way that we’d hope to find them. Just a few years ago, Brown himself was posting in a Gram Parsons web forum and then he just … disappeared. Still, the words he wrote in his youth certainly continued to resonate and and today represent yet another example of a truly American experience, of trying to find one’s place in the world. Let’s hope Tom Brown found his place.
Ben Fong-Torres gets the final word about this lovely song of Parsons and Brown’s: ‘Grievous Angel’ became the album’s signature song. It also served to show how resourceful Gram was when he needed to be, as he applied the perfect, lilting melody to Brown’s words. Whether he did it be design or out of desperation, Gram’s resulting set of original songs was brilliant, a dossier of a life lived and deeply felt.”
http://whenyouawake.com/2010/11/12/the- ... -the-song/

Here's a version of Return of the Grievous Angel by Lucinda Williams (with David Crosby) from the 1999 Gram tribute record that was mentioned earlier in this thread. You guys know I love Lucinda, and this is a really great version of the song.
(I was going to put in a link to the tribute record, but you guys covered it for me... thanks!)
(btw - you guys have also covered the GP books and biographies on the first page of the thread, so I'm not going there either (plus - confession - I haven't read any!)

More Stuff about Gram and the Stones
The When You Awake blog also has a link to a group of pics of Keith Richards, Anita Pallenberg and Gram during their 1969 trip to Joshua Tree. This would coincide with the Stones' 1969 trip to L.A. for the mixing of Let it Bleed. Here's the link to the feature as well as some sample pics...
http://whenyouawake.com/2010/05/26/pict ... shua-tree/

Finally, here's another When You Awake link to pics of the Stones plus Gram, Anita Pallenberg and Marianne Faithful at Stonehenge in 1968, which coincides with the period Gram spent with Keith after he quit the Byrds on the eve of the concert in South Africa. Some sample pics after the link...
http://whenyouawake.com/2011/06/10/pict ... e-in-1968/

The Joshua Tree Inn

Believe it or not, the Joshua Tree Inn - the little desert motel where Gram died - is still in business. And they're very proud of the fact that a real life rock and roll star OD'ed there. From the motel website:
The Inn is the site of the legendary Gram Parsons Room, where the beloved and respected musician/songwriter spent his last hours. Room 8 still offers a quintessential "Cosmic American Experience" to fans of the father of Alt-country rock. On the peach colored wall hangs the same mirror and picture that hung in the room back in 1973. http://www.joshuatreeinn.com/

Here's "Gram Parsons Room #8" (You can sleep there for just $105 per night!)...

Want a Gram/Fallen Angels tee shirt just like the one Gram wore?
You can get it here for about $30 including shipping. I got one a couple years ago and it's great. The blue fades and it looks like I bought it at the GP merch table in 1972. Almost every time I wear it, I get a "cool shirt" comment from some random stranger.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAM-PARSONS-FALLEN ... 298wt_1141
And it is 100% Rock Show approved:

Special Thanks...
...to this website: http://www.ebni.com/byrds/memgrp1.html
It's called Byrd Watcher and it's essentially a fan-written encyclopedia of all things related to the Byrds. It provided me with the framework for a lot of the stuff I wrote in this thread.

And that's all I got, folks.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i have the Fallen Angels shirt!

Great job, Clams! I'll try to get through this today.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

This is the end? Thats all you got Clams? I expect you to put some more effort into the next AOTW. :P
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Clams

Post by Clams »

Bill in CT wrote:Do you know if any audio or video of Neil and Linda sitting in at that Houston show is in circulation? I suspect the answer is "no" as I've been on the Neil Young listserv for many years and don't recall hearing about it.

I suspect "no" as well. In fact, any actual concert footage of Gram is hard to find, at least on Youtube where I checked. The Fallen Angel movie has good footage, but I don't recall any of him with Neil.

Here are a couple of crappy-sounding, grainy vids of Gram and Emmylou...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fantastic job, Clams. I don't know how u expect anyone else to take on an AOTW after this, though.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last edited by Clams on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I wish PBS would release a DVD of the Gram tribute that aired on Sessions at West 54th back in 1999, it made for a nice compliment to the Return of the Grievous Angel tribute record. For anyone that's interested, here's an article from the No Depression archives about the taping of the special.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I searched for one of those Fallen Angels T-shirts, and that's a great deal if you can wear an XL. Us mediums are up shit creek (I don't want some lame ass Hot Topic shirt)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Loving this!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

This thread is way too long to read right now, but he was the man. If you like him, then you will like the Jayhawks who use 2 singers to channel him.

FlounderinDC

Post by FlounderinDC »

I just read this whole thread from beginning to end while sipping a few beers.

FANTASTIC. Excellent job. I love Gram and all the music he influenced...awesome write up.

A tip of the cap to you sir!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

This really is a great thread, Clams!! Very comprehensive & well written. You lead by example. I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know. Thanks.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Giving Sweetheart of the Rodeo another listen. Did some research on it, and was surprised that it's mostly covers. I figured it was a "landmark" album because Gram had written all these country songs for an otherwise non-country band. Color me confused
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Around four years ago, around the time when I was discovering GP, Amoeba Records released a 2 CD live set recorded when the Flying Burrito Bros opened for the Grateful Dead in San Francisco in 1969. Apparently, nobody knew the recordings existed for 30+ years until they were discovered in the Dead's archives. So anyway, when they released the CD's, Amoeba also released one track for free every other week for a couple of months, and I had downloaded about 10 of them. Late last night I came across the files on an old laptop in my basement. They sound great. So if you're inclined, here they are...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7iqrkk

And if you want background info about the CD's, here's Amoeba's webpage from the 2007 release...
http://www.amoeba.com/content/gram-pars ... ume-1.html

btw - this Amoeba CD release is what inspired Chuck Klosterman's review in the first post of this thread.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Not much new here but kinda interesting anyway...

This is the story of how I spent a night in the motel room where Gram Parsons died, then spent the next day trying to find the cave where his road manager cremated him.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... z1jvQtab8G

sward

Post by sward »

My friend Spooner Oldham played on some of Gram's solo material- Gram and the Fallen Angels also recorded a song written by another friend of mine , Earl "Peanutt" Montgomery- "California Cottonfields". Gram, Drive By Truckers, and the music of Memphis and Muscle Shoals are my favorites. Scott Ward

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Grams Nudie suit is on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville.Pretty wild.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great article from the No Depression archives...

http://archives.nodepression.com/1999/0 ... long-time/

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine

40 years ago today, we lost Gram Parsons. Tomorrow night some of the very best talent in the Triangle is going to gather to remember him at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. Just wanted to give a heads up to those in this area that may be unaware of this show, it's going to be one for the ages.

Kudzu Guillotine

I never knew until I watched this clip that "Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man" by the Byrds was written for Ralph Emery. Maybe because it was sent out to Ronald Reagan on the Woodstock soundtrack. It's also very telling how the type of country music so many of us listen to has never crossed over in any sort of significant way, even since the days of Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

Kudzu Guillotine

I have a lot of favorite moments from last Friday's 40th Anniversary Tribute to Gram Parsons at the Cat's Cradle but this one may be my very favorite, John Howie, Jr. ($2 Pistols, Rosewood Bluff) and Lynn Blakey (Oh OK, Glory Fountain, Tres Chicas) taking on "$1,000 Wedding":