3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Post by Clams »

GRAM PARSONS

ImageImage

I discoverd Gram Parsons in the fall of 2007 when I read this paragraph by Chuck Klosterman in Esquire Magazine:
It's not uncommon for pop historians to harbor strong feelings about the life of Gram Parsons. There are those who see him chiefly as a genius who introduced Keith Richards to country music, eventually prompting the creation of Exile on Main St.; others perceive him as a born-rich dilettante who fetishized blue-collar America and simply wanted to get high with the Rolling Stones. Still others see him as little more than a great, confused singer-songwriter who couldn’t stop drinking. As a rule, Parsons is more famous for dying than for living. But if you want to understand Gram Parsons the way he probably wanted people to remember him, get your paws on the two-disc Gram Parsons Archives Vol. 1. This twenty-seven-track live collection of the Flying Burrito Brothers music (recorded before a 1969 Grateful Dead show in San Francisco) is perhaps the purest illustration of how forgotten country standards informed (and essentially gave rise to) the California rock movement of the 1970s. If these records don’t make you want to grow sideburns and buy a cowboy shirt, nothing will. Parsons may not have been entirely authentic, but his voice sure fucking was.

Now, before I had read this passage, I didn't know Gram Parsons from a graham cracker, but the combination of Klosterman, the Stones, sideburns and cowboy hats intrigued me enough to check him out. After five minutes, I was hooked. But as you're going to see, it wasn't just the music.

Sitting here almost four years later, I'm not sure which is more compelling: GP's music or his life story. Gram's music is full of tales of lonesome souls, cowboy angels and smoky bars, all set atop twangy six-strings, romping pianos and weeping steel guitars, and his life story is as fascinating, heartbreaking and, in the end, bizarre as any in the history of rock and roll. Consider that Gram was just 26 when he died, and in that short time he grew up trust fund-rich, lost his father to suicide at 12 years old and his mother to alcoholism at 18, attended Harvard University, hijacked The Byrds from Roger McGuinn, was Keith Richards' best friend, heroin buddy and country music mentor, brought forth to the world the sweet voice of Emmylou Harris, and all but invented the genre we now call "alt-country." Yet, many believe that the most fascinating thing about Gram Parsons wasn't his life, but his death. So we're going to start this "biography" at the end...

The Bizarre Death of Gram Parsons
In 1973, Gram was trying to get his act together, but his personal life was a tragic mess. His marriage was in a shambles, his drinking and drug abuse were out of control, several of his closest friends and bandmates had recently passed away and he had become increasingly close to his crazy road manager Phil Kaufman. Professionally though, he was hitting his stride. His second solo album, Grievous Angel, was recoded that June and, though not yet released, was by all accounts a stellar follow-up to his first solo record GP. Gram lived in L.A.and visited the Joshua Tree National Monument often -- by himself, with bandmates, with his buddy Keith Richards, and with friends -- mainly to get high and commune with the desert. In Sept 1973, he needed a getaway and reserved two rooms at the nearby Joshua Tree Inn, a small motel whose owners knew Parsons after all of his visits.
ImageImage

Along with Parsons on this trip were his friend Michael Martin, Martin's girlfriend, and an old girlfriend from Gram's high school days in Florida (Gram was separated from his wife Gretchen at the time). The first two days were a blur of weed and Jack Daniels, which was just an appetizer for the heroin and morphine that followed. By the second evening, Gram had overdosed. His friends found him in room 1 of the Inn, passed out on the floor, his skin blue. They revived him with an ice cube suppository, and it seemed that he had recovered. But a few hours later, in Room 8, Gram stopped breathing. After about a half hour of futile CPR, his friends called an ambulance and he was taken to Hi-Desert Memorial Hospital in Yucca Valley. Doctors there found no pulse and were unable to restart his heart. He was declared dead at 12:30 AM, Wednesday, September 19, 1973. (The coroner listed the cause of death as "drug toxicity, days, due to multiple drug use, weeks." Blood tests showed a blood alcohol level of 0.21% and urine and liver tests revealed traces of morphine, cocaine and barbiturates).

Gram's friends were questioned by the police at the hospital. They called Phil Kaufman in L.A., and he persuaded the sheriff that he could answer all their questions and would be there right away. The sheriff let Gram's friends return to the motel, where they quickly gathered up all of Gram's drugs. When Kaufman got there, the women gave him the drugs and he hid them in the desert. Kaufman then called the sheriff and promised that he and Gram's friends would meet him at the police station for questioning. But instead, Kaufman drove them straight back to LA, where he hid them out.

When the news of his Gram's death reached his scheming and philandering step-father Bob Parsons back in Louisiana, he immediately sought to bring the body back to New Orleans because it would help bolster his claim to Gram's sizable estate (Gram was an heir to a family fortune built on Florida orange juice). Bob Parsons quickly booked a flight to LA to claim the body. Phil Kaufman was upset to learn of the plan to bury Gram in Louisiana. He knew that Gram had no connection to that city or his step-father. Kaufman also knew that Gram didn't want a long, depressing and religious funeral service. In fact, at the recent funeral of close friend Clarence White, the drunken Parsons and Kaufman had (allegedly) made a pact that whoever died first, "the survivor would take the other guy's body out to Joshua Tree, have a few drinks and burn it." So, after getting drunk and avoiding the Sheriff, Kaufman decided to make good on his pact with Gram.
Phil Kaufman (with Gram and Emmylou Harris)

Kaufman called the funeral parlor in Joshua Tree and learned that Gram's body was headed to LAX for a flight to New Orleans. He then called the airline and learned that Gram's body would be arriving at the airport that evening. Kaufman recruited Michael Martin (one of the friends who had been with Gram when he died), who knew about the pact, and they commandeered a hearse that Martin apparently had used for camping trips. It had no license plates and several broken windows. The pair loaded up the hearse with beer and Jack Daniels and headed to LAX - wearing jeans, cowboy boots and hats, and jackets with "Sin City" stitched on the back.

Kaufman and Martin arrived at the airport loading dock just as a flatbed rolled up with the coffin, and a drunken Kaufman somehow persuaded an airline employee that the Parsons family had changed its plans and wanted to ship the body privately on a chartered flight. While Kaufman was in the hangar office signing the paperwork with a phony name, a policeman pulled up and blocked the hangar door. Kaufman walked out to him, waved his copies of the paperwork, and said, "Hey, can you move that car?" The officer apologized, moved the car, and then helped Kaufman load the casket into the unlicensed liquor-filled hearse. In full view of the cop, the drunken Martin then drove the hearse into a wall on his way out of the hangar, and then he and Kaufman hauled Gram's body back to Joshua Tree, stopping only to fill a 5-gallon gas can along the way. Once they arrived at Joshua Tree, the pair unloaded Gram's coffin near the Cap Rock, where Kaufman doused his friend with the fuel and lit him up. They watched, shitfaced, as a giant fireball arose from the coffin into the desert night sky. They left Gram's (partially) charred remains and quickly headed back to L.A.
ImageImage
Cap Rock, the spot at Joshua Tree where Gram's body was lit afire

By the next day, the story of Gram's corpse being stolen and burned in the desert was all over the newspapers. Eventually Kaufman and Martin turned themselves in to the police. They appeared in West L.A. Municipal Court but since there was no law on the books for stealing a corpse, they simply pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft for stealing the coffin and were each fined about $700. Later, Kaufman threw a party to raise the fine money -- "Kaufman's Koffin Kaper Koncert." He pasted homemade labels on beer bottles with a picture of Gram and a label that said "Gram Pilsner: A stiff drink for what ales you." Dr. Demento served as party deejay, and live music was provided by Bobby Pickett and the Crypt Kickers (of "Monster Mash" fame). By all accounts the party was a successful wake for Gram.

Next up: Gram's early years and The Flying Burrito Brothers.
Last edited by Clams on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't run you rust

lajakesdad

Re: 3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Post by lajakesdad »

Awesome choice Clammers. Good read so far.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Good choice, Clams.
Clams wrote:Sitting here almost four years later, I'm not sure which is more compelling: GP's music or his life story.

So true. Twenty Thousand Roads, one of the many biographies about him, is an excellent read.

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Thousand-Roads-Parsons-American/dp/0345503368/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311010053&sr=8-2

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Great read so far Clams. Hell of an artist. Gone way too soon.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I love Gram, I remember the first time I heard the burrito brothers, my uncle had some of their stuff and played it for me, i then went out and bought both of Grams solo albums and a compilation of all his works back to the submarine band. then I rented the Johnny Knoxville movie about Phil Kaufman stealing the body, which isnt how it happened but it was a funny movie. I also have a couple Wes Freed paintings of Gram, one is him and Keith out in the desert at night looking for UFO's
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

On that 'lost highway' of country/rock, Gram is a sign post, along with Hank Williams, Townes Van Zandt, Gary Stewart, etc. All misfits who were simultaneously behind and ahead of their time, all loved "the wild side of a life" a little too much yet still yearned to "live right", but gloriously failed at doing so. We could debate when Gram's death "benefited" his career, (as we did here) but like Hank before him, it's hard to imagine him an as an old man.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LuthierJustin wrote:I love Gram, I remember the first time I heard the burrito brothers, my uncle had some of their stuff and played it for me, i then went out and bought both of Grams solo albums and a compilation of all his works back to the submarine band. then I rented the Johnny Knoxville movie about Phil Kaufman stealing the body, which isnt how it happened but it was a funny movie. I also have a couple Wes Freed paintings of Gram, one is him and Keith out in the desert at night looking for UFO's

Yep, more on the Johnny Knoxville movie is coming in a couple of days. Would love to see pics of those Freed paintings, LJ. Can you post them?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Thanks to one of my older brothers, back in the 70s this compilation served as my gateway for all things Gram/Burrito Brothers:

I'd been vaguely aware of Gram Parsons/The Flying Burrito Brothers all along because my older brother wasn't the only one of my siblings that was into him/them but it was Close Up the Honky Tonks (and Gilded Palace of Sin) that finally made me sit up and pay attention.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Clams wrote: Would love to see pics of those Freed paintings, LJ. Can you post them?

I had this one on my computer

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I first became aware of Gram long before I even knew what 'alt.country' was - back when I was studying and learned all about the Rolling Stones. I grew up listening to Emmylou, and was around 15/16 I first heard them, from grabbing "Love Hurts" off Napster. I believe that was the last time I ever listened to Nazareth, and coming at Gram from the perspective I had, I didn't notice anything "rock n roll" about him at the time; his records flowed perfectly beside Merle Haggard, Buck Owens & my other classic country (mostly Bakersfield) albums. It's strange that he's seen as such a pioneer of country-rock, when his music was perhaps the most traditional of any of the late 60's/early 70's "country rock" bands. I'm also surprised he's not more well-known for his songwriting; not necessarily 'out-there' poetry like Return of the Grievous Angel or Sin City, but stuff like Brass Buttons, Hickory Wind, She, The New Soft Shoe & $1000 Wedding; those are songcraft perfected, IMO. (especially $1000 Wedding.) Ya can't dismiss Hot Burrito 1 & 2 either...

ps. I'll probably get retorted by people mentioning fuzzed-out masterpieces like Sin City or Wheels - that's true, but the difference between Gram & other artists from that time-period is that while they were moving farther away from traditional country towards a more rock/pop sound, Gram was moving in the opposite direction. That's the main argument I have against Gram ever "breaking through" in a significant way, because that was not the cool "artistic" way to go at the time. Gram deserves even more respect for that.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

lajakesdad wrote:
Clams wrote: Would love to see pics of those Freed paintings, LJ. Can you post them?

I had this one on my computer

Thats one of them, the Gram and Keith one, The other one Ill try and find, I might have a picture of it
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote: I'm also surprised he's not more well-known for his songwriting; not necessarily 'out-there' poetry like Return of the Grievous Angel or Sin City, but stuff like Brass Buttons, Hickory Wind, She, The New Soft Shoe & $1000 Wedding; those are songcraft perfected, IMO. (especially $1000 Wedding.) Ya can't dismiss Hot Burrito 1 & 2 either...

Interestingly enough because it's one of his signature songs, Gram only wrote the music for Return of the Grievous Angel. He didn't write the words. More on this song coming up!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Smitty wrote: I'm also surprised he's not more well-known for his songwriting; not necessarily 'out-there' poetry like Return of the Grievous Angel or Sin City, but stuff like Brass Buttons, Hickory Wind, She, The New Soft Shoe & $1000 Wedding; those are songcraft perfected, IMO. (especially $1000 Wedding.) Ya can't dismiss Hot Burrito 1 & 2 either...

Interestingly enough because it's one of his signature songs, Gram only wrote the music for Return of the Grievous Angel. He didn't write the words. More on this song coming up!

That's true - there's actually a few songs he was credited for that he didn't write, such as "Kiss the Children".

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

uncle rickey wrote:Good choice, Clams.
Clams wrote:Sitting here almost four years later, I'm not sure which is more compelling: GP's music or his life story.

So true. Twenty Thousand Roads, one of the many biographies about him, is an excellent read.

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Thousand-Roads-Parsons-American/dp/0345503368/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311010053&sr=8-2

I really tried to read that book. I just couldn't finish it. It almost turned me against Parsons.
Maybe I'll try again.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:That's true - there's actually a few songs he was credited for that he didn't write, such as "Kiss the Children".

Kiss the Children was actually written by a dude from California named Lajakes...

(one way or another, I was going to work this vid into the thread!) 8-)

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

word up, clams. big props across the board...selection, format, etc. can't wait to dig in.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Yaaaaay!!!!

I'm a fan.!
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Great thread clams, I too became a fan of Gram about 4 years ago then bought the ten thousand roads book and on and on! Many people really believe he was the co-writer of Wild Horses, which I believe very probable, and there was sort of a wink ;) when Keith Richards played it at the Gram Parsons tribute concert a few years back. My knowledge of Gram has since surpassed just reading when I luckily bumped in to a few people who knew Gram in the early 60's. They do make claims that Gram was a musical genious and was slighted because of his addictions and the fact that he didn't have any real big hits! Pamela Des BARRES loved him, but then again she loved everyone(literally). The thing that I found fascinating was that he grew up near my hometown and spent his early life all over Florida and South Georgia before making his career in California. The Burrito Brothers were at Altamonte for crying out loud at the infamous Gimme Shelter movie concert. He was yelling at the Hells Angels for their rough handling of the crowd.Alot of people also know that the Eagles tribute to Gram on the song "My Man" was one of great respect for him! Many people don't care, but Joan Baez sang one of his songs at Woodstock, Hickory WIND, and another that the Burrito Brothers recorded called Drug Store Truck Driving Man, something that DBT should consider as live cover!! 8-) He was hangin around Loe Cocker and Company during the Mad Dogs and Englishmen sessions with Carl Radle and Duanne Allman (God) and had dealings with everybody in the scene at that time! Swamp and I differ about Gram, maybe Phil Spector bones him up alittle more than Gram but we all have different man love!!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Hell yea! Thanks for tackling this one, clams.

Here's a Freed poster I have:

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I was aware of The Flying Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons from the first time I saw Gimme Shelter at the age of twelve. Then, senior year of high school, Elvis Costello covered "I'm Your Toy" on his Almost Blue album of country covers. But I first really got into Gram's music in 1986 when I went out to Colorado to visit a couple of former bandmates who left NJ for some cool Rocky Mountain air. My old drummer made a cassette (remember them?) of The Byrds album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo. At that time, I was only aware of the jangly "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man" Byrds. I fell in love with Gram Parson's music on the spot.

I cannot say enough good things about Gram Parsons. I cannot imagine a world without songs like "Hickory Wind." Not only did he record all of those great songs, but he introduced the world to Emmy Lou Harris.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

One of the first (if not the very first) alt.country albums I ever got or heard was this one:

Return of the Greivous Angel: A tribute to Gram Parsons.

Check out who's on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_ ... am_Parsons

basically that opened the door to a whole new genre of music for me. For which I am eternally grateful. I didnt get DBT till 2005, and I'd had this since around 2001 or 2 IIRC.

great album too.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

suntzu wrote:Swamp and I differ about Gram, maybe Phil Spector bones him up alittle more than Gram but we all have different man love!!

from the books thread
Swamp wrote:Well I was enjoying 20,000 Roads but it got real boring real fast and I just couldn't finish it.
Something about a poor rich kid who doesn't play well with others just rubs me wrong.
Oh well, maybe when I'm in a different frame of mind I'll try to finish it.
Meanwhile I've started reading "Tearing Down the Wall of Sound, the Rise and Fall of Phil Spector".
Still can't wait to read "Dixie Lullaby"

On the books thread, sactochris said "Hickory Wind" is a good read.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Swamp wrote:Something about a poor rich kid who doesn't play well with others just rubs me wrong.

After watching the documentary Fallen Angel, I found myself feeling the same way.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gram hated the fuckin' Eagles.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Steve French wrote:One of the first (if not the very first) alt.country albums I ever got or heard was this one:

Around 2000 when I attended SXSW for the first (and so far, only) time, I was looking forward to one of my older brothers (who lives in Austin) seeing Ryan Adams for the first time. Thing is, at that time no one knew what Ryan would be performing during the Lost Highway showcase. He had just done some acoustic shows in the area but there was no guarantee that that's what he'd be doing at SXSW. For my brother's sake, that's what I was hoping for. Instead, it was Ryan Adams and the Pinkhearts. Not bad but not what I was hoping for as most of what he performed that night turned out to be pretty mediocre material that sent my brother running for the back of the venue with his hands over his ears. Not exactly the first impression of seeing Ryan live that I was hoping for for him.

A year or so later, I had the same brother tape a Townes tribute off of PBS for me as well as the Gram tribute from Sessions at West 54th. Imagine my surprise when I got a call from him saying how he thought Ryan sounded uncannily like Gram. I guess that's my roundabout way of saying, there's always a second chance of making a good first impression. He's still not the Ryan/Whiskeytown fan that I am but at least that Pinkhearts appearance isn't what will forever stand out in his memory when it comes to Ryan Adams.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Clams wrote:Kiss the Children was actually written by a dude from California named Lajakes...
(one way or another, I was going to work this vid into the thread!) 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol:

I heard about Gram from the 1990 Lemonheads album Lovey. I was a big Lemonheads fan and they covered Brass Buttons on that album. They also did $1000 Wedding for the tribute album. (with Juliana Hatfield). I downloaded some radio show of them and they did Streets of Baltimore and Kiss the Children. When the Gram Parsons Anthology came out on Rhino in 2001, I picked it up and was changed forever. I listened to that non-stop. It really did open up the doors to alt country for me. I have not turned back since then. That anthology is a great starting point because you get International Submarine Band, Flying Burrito Bros and Gram's solo stuff.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

By the way, mad props for the sendspace link. thats a great compilation. Kudos, etc.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gram's Early Years
GP was born Ingram Cecil Connor III in 1946 in Waycross, Georgia to a wealthy family. His mother was an heiress to a family fortune built on Florida orange juice. Biographers have said it was a loving family, but both parents were alcoholics and his father, a WWII flying ace, sufferred from depression. Around '56 Gram became fascinated with the music of Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and most of all, Elvis. But in '58, while Gram was in a Jacksonville, FL prep school, his father killed himself with a bullet to the head. His mother quickly remarried, to a man named Bob Parsons, who was more interested in the family fortune and philandering than in being a good husband and step-dad. This led Gram's mother to turn to alcohol and drugs and it made Gram turn to music. The early-mid 60's found Gram playing guitar and singing solo and in a number of folk rock bands in Florida, South Carolina and even New York City. But on the morning of Gram's high school graduation in 1965, he learned that his mother had died of alcohol poisoning.

Early Bands
His family life now all but disintegrated, the latter half of 1965-66 found Gram using his trust fund to gain (read: buy) enrollment to Harvard University. As you'd guess, Gram was quick with Harvard. Though he only lasted a semester or so, Harvard was where Gram first heard Merle Haggard and became obsessed with country music. He soon left Cambridge with friends for the beatnik music scene in NYC, where he and some friends formed a folk/country band called The International Submarine Band. ISB had some success (a tour, a Columbia single, etc) and they eventually relocated to California, where Gram listened to the country music greats and became immersed in the laid back LA and Bakersfield music scenes. Gram hung out with Peter Fonda and stole David Crosby's girlfriend. Musically, Gram steered his band ISP toward the grittier country sound of artists like Buck Owens and Merle Haggard, but eventually the band fizzled out. This was 1967, and the original lineup of Gram's future band, The Flying Burrito Brothers, was created out of the ISB dust.

Gram Joins the Byrds
In 1968, 21 year old Gram was introduced to the group The Byrds by their mutual manager Larry Spector. At that point, the Byrds had already reached superstar status but consisted of just Chris Hillman and Roger McGuinn and were looking for a keyboardist. Gram was mainly a guitarist but somehow played his way through an audition and became a Byrd. This union led to the Byrd's great 1968 record Sweethearts of the Rodeo, one of the all-time great country rock records, which featured Gram's classic song Hickory Wind. However, while a more country sound was pushed by Gram and embraced by Hillman, it wasn't the vision of the Byrds' leader McGuinn. This clashing vision, as well as other antics by Parsons, caused tension within The Byrds. In May of '68, with the Byrds on a European tour, Parsons met the Rolling Stones and became fast friends with Keith Richards, who was eager to learn about American country music. It was Keef who, on the eve of a big Byrds gig in South Africa, explained the nature of apartheid to Gram. Gram said he couldn't play South Africa due to apartheid, and he wound up skipping the show - and promptly got fired for it by Hillman and McGuinn.

Gram and Keef
No longer a Byrd, Gram returned to England where he lived with Keith at his country estate, Redlands. (Some believe that all Gram wanted to do was hang with the Stones, and that the apartheid issue was his means of escaping The Byrds in order to do so. But if you read Keef's autobiography Life or watch his interviews in the biography flick "Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel," you can see that the pair did have a true friendship and that Keith was extremely fond of Gram.) At Redlands, Gram taught Keef how to play country music. Gram told him all about artists like George Jones, Merle Haggard and the country greats, and they played and wrote songs together. Keef and Gram eventually joined Mick in L.A. where the Stones were mixing Beggar's Banquet and where Gram continued to mentor the Stones about country music. It was at this point that Mick Jagger introduced Gram to an ex-con and former Charles Manson associate named Phil Kaufman. Kaufman and Gram became fast friends and eventually he became Gram's road manager.

Back home around this time, Gram's girlfriend Nancy Ross had recently given birth to their daughter, Polly Parsons. Gram had planned a large wedding and even commissioned a $1,000 wedding dress for Nancy. Though their marriage plans fizzled out and the dress went unused, these events were immortalized years later in a song called $1,000 Wedding that made its way onto one of his solo records.

The Flying Burrito Brothers
The Flying Burrito Brothers were initially formed in 1967 after an amiable split in Gram's former band, the International Submarine Band. The Burritos were started by bassist Ian Dunlop and drummer Mickey Gauvin who wanted a more R&B/bluesy style than the country sound favored by ISB members Parsons and John Neuse. From the start, the Burrito Bros lineup was large and constantly changing, and Gram actually played with them at their first gig even though he wasn't a member. The original Burritos lineup eschewed the music industry- they didn't want hits or to be signed by a label, they just wanted to play their music. In fact, when they got so popular that fans recognized them on the streets of L.A., they decided to move the band to the anonymity of New York City- leaving Gram to co-opt the Flying Burrito Bros name and start putting together a band to play what he called "Cosmic American Music" - his then-unique blend of classic country and rock.

By early '68, Gram had reconciled with Chris Hillman who had by then quit the Byrds. Being like-minded in their pursuit of a country sound, they soon added steel guitar whiz Sneaky Pete Kleinow (another former Byrd), and started gigging as the Flying Burrito Brothers.
They rented a house in the San Fernando Valley dubbed Burrito Manor where they spent their days smoking weed and writing songs and playing. Songs written at Burrito Manor include classics such as Christine's Tune (Devil in Disguise), Wheels, Juanita, Sin City, Hot Burrito #1 and Hot Burrito #2. After the Burritos quickly landed an A&M contract, they recorded a couple of great cover songs including Do Right Woman (featuring an uncredited David Crosby on harmony) and Dark End of the Street and quickly released their first record, The Gilded Palace of Sin. It was released in early '69 and while it was critically acclaimed, it reached just #164 on the charts.

Nowadays, Gilded Palace is remembered almost as much for the Burritos' outfits on the record cover as it is for the music: the album cover famously captured the Burritos in "nudie" suits made by Nudie's Rodeo Tailors, which Gram deemed necessary so that the group wouldn't just sound country, but look country as well. Parsons' Nudie suit was embroidered with marijuana leaves, pills and naked ladies, and the band traveled out to the Mohave Desert in their new duds for the album pics.

Later in 1969, the Burritos and Gram, who was afraid of flying, headed out on a national tour by train. The tour was a drug-fueled disaster and the band spent the rest of '69 writing and recording their next record, Burrito Deluxe. However, it was during this time that the band started coming apart at the seems - mainly due to Gram spending most of his time hanging out (and doing drugs) with Keith Richards, as the Stones were in L.A. to mix Let It Bleed. (Keef's recent autobiography Life contains some particularly fascinating passages about his drug-fueled time in L.A. with Gram in 1969). Due mainly to Gram's lack of interest and drug use, the songs on Burrito Deluxe weren't nearly the caliber of the songs on Gilded Palace. The record was underwhelming, apart from an early version of the Stones' Wild Horses (Gram didn't write the song, but Mick & Keith allowed him to record it before they released it on Sticky Fingers), and the band was in very bad shape.

There were no national tours following the release of Burrito Deluxe due to Gram's fear of flying and other problems at that point in time: there was the disaster of opening for the Stones at Altamont, Gram was in a motorcycle accident, his drinking and drug abuse, etc. As a result, A&M delayed its release of Burrito Deluxe until the spring of 1970, and when released it sunk without a trace. On a short tour in support of the record, Gram's behavior was so poor that he got himself fired from the Burrito Brothers. The unknown Rick Roberts was hired to replace him as singer and the Burritos went on without him.

Next up: Gram's solo years and the arrival of Emmylou Harris

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Swamp wrote:
suntzu wrote:Swamp and I differ about Gram, maybe Phil Spector bones him up alittle more than Gram but we all have different man love!!

from the books thread
Swamp wrote:Well I was enjoying 20,000 Roads but it got real boring real fast and I just couldn't finish it.
Something about a poor rich kid who doesn't play well with others just rubs me wrong.
Oh well, maybe when I'm in a different frame of mind I'll try to finish it.
Meanwhile I've started reading "Tearing Down the Wall of Sound, the Rise and Fall of Phil Spector".
Still can't wait to read "Dixie Lullaby"

On the books thread, sactochris said "Hickory Wind" is a good read.

It's a very good read. It's much better than God's Own Singer, which came out in 2002 I think. I haven't gotten around to reading 20,000 Roads yet. Maybe at some point I will tell the story of how I destroyed a brand new Toyota Camry when I went to visit Gram's grave in 1998.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Even though I'm not a Gram fan, I am really enjoying this thread.
Great work Clams!!!