3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: 3DD Artist of the Week - 7/18/11 - GRAM PARSONS

Post by dime in the gutter »

great thread.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great article about Gram and his nudie suits

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/ ... c-american
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Hud

Post by Hud »

rereleased vinyl , you can stream a sample of each song.

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_in ... ts_id=2674

listening to 'sweethearts of the rodeo' now on youtube. the version before gram vocals were cut, such good music
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Hud

Post by Hud »

Clams wrote:Great article about Gram and his nudie suits

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/ ... c-american

good interview with Manuel...

http://punkglobe.com/manuelinterview0814.php

Keith's nudie sold for...

I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just discovered this record on Spotify and it's fantastic. A live radio broadcast from 1973 which is Gram's GP/Grievous Angel era with the Fallen Angels. The songs sound great (Emmylou!) and so does the band, equal parts country and blues. What's really interesting is all the banter - since Gram's recording and live career was so short, it's pretty rare that you get to hear the guy talk. I highly recommend this record!!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

very cool. clams is a fucking genius.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Another wonderful live set.

If banter's what you're into, I seem to remember there being a bit on here (or maybe I'm thinking of an interview). Due to a pricing snafu, I was able to grab this excellent comp at Best Buy for something like 6 bucks when it first came out.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Interesting take on the song Wild Horses...
http://nodepression.com/article/ive-sai ... ild-horses

Now excuse me while I go listen to some GP. 8-)

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Clams wrote:Image

https://open.spotify.com/album/6aceZrYnw14DGR8jPBq3On

Just discovered this record on Spotify and it's fantastic. A live radio broadcast from 1973 which is Gram's GP/Grievous Angel era with the Fallen Angels. The songs sound great (Emmylou!) and so does the band, equal parts country and blues. What's really interesting is all the banter - since Gram's recording and live career was so short, it's pretty rare that you get to hear the guy talk. I highly recommend this record!!

This disc was my introduction to Gram.
Keep calm and have a cigar

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

per a request from Clams.....

Two weeks my wife and I were at Joshua Tree for a few days. On top of doing the hell out of an epic national park, we totally geeked out on all the GP stuff: went to Cap Rock multiple times, stayed at the Joshua Tree Inn (almost but not quite in Room 8), all the requisite stuff a huge Gram fan would do at JP.

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great song-by-song breakdown of the Grievous Angel record on the occasion of its 45th birthday...

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... l-turns-45
Parsons never achieved anything remotely approaching the commercial success of his dear friend (and sometimes enabler) Keith Richards, though it seems likely that he may have soon enough. Within a couple of years of his passing, The Eagles would achieve seismic fame with a spit-polished and decidedly less weighty version of Parsons’ visionary music, aided by guitarist Bernie Leadon who played in the Flying Burrito Brothers and guested on Grievous Angel. Within music circles, Parsons’ legacy and impact has always been massive. During his lifetime, the Stones borrowed heavily from Gram’s idiosyncratic melding of styles – it is impossible to imagine them arriving at the unique crossroads of blues, soul and country that characterize Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street without his example. Soon after Parsons’ death, Dylan would evince a similarly heavy debt on the Emmylou Harris-aided exotica of Desire.

As the decades have passed the influence has only grown stronger. It is variously impossible to imagine everything from the work of Dwight Yoakam to Uncle Tupelo to the Drive-By Truckers without Gram leading the way, to name only a very few distinguished acts. Like the Velvet Underground, Parsons was a little too offbeat to connect to mainstream audiences in real time, but the reverberations of his extraordinary talent continue to shake the very firmament. We celebrate him and we grieve.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:Great song-by-song breakdown of the Grievous Angel record on the occasion of its 45th birthday...

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... l-turns-45
Parsons never achieved anything remotely approaching the commercial success of his dear friend (and sometimes enabler) Keith Richards, though it seems likely that he may have soon enough. Within a couple of years of his passing, The Eagles would achieve seismic fame with a spit-polished and decidedly less weighty version of Parsons’ visionary music, aided by guitarist Bernie Leadon who played in the Flying Burrito Brothers and guested on Grievous Angel. Within music circles, Parsons’ legacy and impact has always been massive. During his lifetime, the Stones borrowed heavily from Gram’s idiosyncratic melding of styles – it is impossible to imagine them arriving at the unique crossroads of blues, soul and country that characterize Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street without his example. Soon after Parsons’ death, Dylan would evince a similarly heavy debt on the Emmylou Harris-aided exotica of Desire.

As the decades have passed the influence has only grown stronger. It is variously impossible to imagine everything from the work of Dwight Yoakam to Uncle Tupelo to the Drive-By Truckers without Gram leading the way, to name only a very few distinguished acts. Like the Velvet Underground, Parsons was a little too offbeat to connect to mainstream audiences in real time, but the reverberations of his extraordinary talent continue to shake the very firmament. We celebrate him and we grieve.
Cool article, rightfully places $1000 Wedding among the best songs of the 20th century, but I noticed two inaccuracies: "Sin City", maybe inexplicably, wasn't about Las Vegas but actually L.A., and the second verse of "In My Hour of Darkness" is about Clarence White, not Elvis.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I didn't know that "I Can't Dance" was a Tom T. Hall tune.

But I've definitely thought at times that it sounded like something he'd write.

It's one of my favorite moments on that album. "$1000 Wedding" is the best song, and deserves all of the accolades the piece gives it. But "I Can't Dance" never fails to make me smile.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:I didn't know that "I Can't Dance" was a Tom T. Hall tune.

But I've definitely thought at times that it sounded like something he'd write.

It's one of my favorite moments on that album. "$1000 Wedding" is the best song, and deserves all of the accolades the piece gives it. But "I Can't Dance" never fails to make me smile.
I believe that's Al Perkins playing that fuzz tone pedal steel on I Can't dance. He is a beast of a player.

Clams

Post by Clams »