Red Hot Chili Peppers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I dig it. I've always liked them, good songs, fun live what's not to like really?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm digging this new tune so far. RHCP is one of my favorite bands, and I've been pretty damn skeptical about how it would sound w/out Frusciante. I think his work on Stadium Arcadium was some of the most beautiful, inspired guitar playing I've ever heard. Apparently he and Flea arranged the song structures, and then the solos were all unplanned single takes. Lots of guitar orgasms on that record.

Sub

Post by Sub »

I like RHCP but for me they are one of those bands I listened to a lot for a little
while but kind of wore it out. I still will listen to them on occassion, and enjoy it though.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I loved the Chili Peppers for a period of time (even the Dave Navarro Chili Peppers), but I feel like this song is kind of the souleless same pop-rock bullshit that they have been out for the past couple of albums. I've seen them twice since Blood Sugar Sex Majik and while the band is tight Anthony Kiedis sounded awful and lifeless on stage. The setlists were stale as well. I just haven't felt what they are bringing to the table in the past decade.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I saw them with the original lineup in early 88. It was an amazing show in a shitty little all ages club that was about half full. I think it was in Dec. of that year that the original guitar player died. When they broke on a massive scale a couple of years later I was happy for them, but I've never connected with any of the music that made them one of the biggest bands on the planet.
Keep calm and have a cigar

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

sactochris wrote:I saw them with the original lineup in early 88. It was an amazing show in a shitty little all ages club that was about half full. I think it was in Dec. of that year that the original guitar player died. When they broke on a massive scale a couple of years later I was happy for them, but I've never connected with any of the music that made them one of the biggest bands on the planet.

ding ding ding ding

I really don't care about them. But I saw them at Berkeley Square, which was the size of a postage stamp, I think they were with Fishbone, and I'm gonna say it was 1986 or 1987.

I misbehaved very badly at that show.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Used to love 'em - I think my favorite RHCP album is Californication :o - but it's been mostly downhill from there, IMO - solid band though, I love their work backing up Johnny Cash on the American Recordings.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cubfan06 wrote:I loved the Chili Peppers for a period of time (even the Dave Navarro Chili Peppers), but I feel like this song is kind of the souleless same pop-rock bullshit that they have been out for the past couple of albums. I've seen them twice since Blood Sugar Sex Majik and while the band is tight Anthony Kiedis sounded awful and lifeless on stage. The setlists were stale as well. I just haven't felt what they are bringing to the table in the past decade.

Guitar work on their last album was anything but. Say what you will about the Chili Peppers (rote setlists, sometimes terrible lyrics, AK not being a great singer) but the last few albums have been anything but soul less. Pop-rock? Maybe, but certainly not soulless.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I first heard the RHCP in 1984 when my local alt. station started playing True Men Don't Kill Coyotes--loved that song (still do), then the George Clinton collaboration Hollywood? i thought that was OK and the 3rd record Uplift Mofo Party Plan kicks ass, my fave album of theirs and in fact is the only one I still have. I bought Mother's Milk the week it came out and now this is where I have a problem--a major problem. I hate the Lakers. I hate them more than I hate the yankees if that is possible. So what do I hear on Mother's Milk? A fucking horrid song celebrating the fucking Lakers. :o There is no way in hell I can have that piece of shit song in my possession--(they might as well write a song praising George W. fucking Bush as far as I am concerned. :lol:) so I sold it back and never bought another record of theirs again.

Now I dig Flea, he is a kick ass bass player, the drummer dude Chad seems like a nice guy and i am happy for their success but The Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Lakers can go fuck themselves. :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

one belt loop wrote: But I saw them at Berkeley Square, which was the size of a postage stamp, I think they were with Fishbone, and I'm gonna say it was 1986 or 1987.

I saw a band called Psychotic Pineapple at The Berkeley Square in 1988, or was it 87, or 89? That place was awesome. They were some legendary punk band from SF from the late 70's and it was their reunion show or something and the place was packed. I dont remember if i behaved badly.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Gator McKlusky wrote:
one belt loop wrote: But I saw them at Berkeley Square, which was the size of a postage stamp, I think they were with Fishbone, and I'm gonna say it was 1986 or 1987.

I saw a band called Psychotic Pineapple at The Berkeley Square in 1988, or was it 87, or 89? That place was awesome. They were some legendary punk band from SF from the late 70's and it was their reunion show or something and the place was packed. I dont remember if i behaved badly.

Sure, I remember them, though whether or not I ever heard a note of their music is anybody's guess.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I couldn't be more sick of this band
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:I couldn't be more sick of this band
John Frusciante is 1 of my favorite musicians & him being back is good news in my book. For me, Anthony Kiedis has been & remains the weak link. John returning should help the vocal issues a lot. If you're of a mind, check out the show they did at Slane Castle. Should be on youtube I think. Some absolutely stunning guitar work on that.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Is there anything you enjoy?
Now it's dark.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Frusciante is one of my favorite guitar players. They've slid waaaaay down my list since this thread's inception, but a lot of that has to do with Kiedis. Just can't stand him any more.

Glad to see Johnny back in the mix.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flea wrote:
Is there anything you enjoy?
Lots. You're just not paying attention

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:
John Frusciante is 1 of my favorite musicians & him being back is good news in my book. For me, Anthony Kiedis has been & remains the weak link. John returning should help the vocal issues a lot. If you're of a mind, check out the show they did at Slane Castle. Should be on youtube I think. Some absolutely stunning guitar work on that.
Frusciante is great. I was a big fan of RHCP back in the Mother's Milk/BSSM era. By no fault of their own, they became grossly overplayed on the radio, and now I don't enjoy them as much. They do have some great non-radio tracks on several of their albums, though.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Always loved the Chili Peppers. BSSM came out my senior year of HS. It was an epic album for the time. I dabbled in their music before that. My son was born when By The Way came out. That will always be my favorite album of theirs. For me the RHCPs have always been their best with John F in the band. His harmonies are insane. But in the end this has and will always be Anthony’s band. I will admit I really was pleasantly surprised by their last album The Getaway with Josh. To me this is good news and their new album they make with John will be a return to their great sound and amazing harmonies.
Last edited by KcGhostToMost on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

KcGhostToMost wrote:Always loved the Chili Peppers. BSSM came out my senior year of HS. It was an epic album for the time. I dabbled in their music before that. My son was born when By The Way came out. That will always be my favorite album of theirs. For me the RHCPs have always been their best wish John F in the band. His harmonies are insane. But in the end this has and will always be Anthony’s band. I will admit I really was pleasantly surprised by their last album The Getaway with Josh. To me this is good news and their new album they make with John will be a return to their great sound and amazing harmonies.
By the Way is my favorite studio record by them. It's John's Brian Wilson record. The live stuff from that era is pretty phenomenal, too.