Artist of the Week: 7/4/11 - Tom Petty

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Artist of the Week: 7/4/11 - Tom Petty

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Listening to TP and the Heartbreakers Live Anthology. Mike Campbell & Benmont Tench are Rock & Roll gods. Just sayin'.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

wow.

i guess i'm not surprised, but still surprised. glad he kicked.

certainly adds a little context to that largely under rated 90s petty catalog.

np.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Certainly explains having Jeff Lynne produce his records
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dime in the gutter

I remember you so clearly
The first one through the door
I return to find you drifting
Too far from the shore

I remember feeling this way
You can lose it without knowing
You wake up and you don't notice
Which way the wind is blowing

Don't fade
Don't fade on me

You were the one who made things different
You were the one who took me in
You were the one thing I could count on
Above all you were my friend

Don't fade
Don't fade on me

Well your clothes hang on a wire
And the sun is overhead
But today you are too weary
To even leave your bed

Was it love that took you under?
Or did you know too much?
Was it something you could picture?
But never could quite touch?

Don't fade
Don't fade on me

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Zip City wrote:Certainly explains having Jeff Lynne produce his records
how so?
Beebs is not a ragey man

Clams

Post by Clams »

^^^ That's a really good interview. Well worth the few minutes.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:

^^^ That's a really good interview. Well worth the few minutes.
I'm really looking forward to this book. Warren Zanes is a great writer and knows the industry and TP well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Listening to TP and the Heartbreakers Live Anthology. Mike Campbell & Benmont Tench are Rock & Roll gods. Just sayin'.
That album is stellar rom beginning to end.
Here is a great Mike Campbell interview from earlier this year. Mike is very forthcoming and the guy conducting the interview does a good job. Mike actually compliments him a few times about doing his homework. Long interview but lots of good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVcqTvEh4sg

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Listening to TP and the Heartbreakers Live Anthology. Mike Campbell & Benmont Tench are Rock & Roll gods. Just sayin'.
For some reason I didn't know this album existed. I'm gonna get a copy soon. Thanks for the heads up.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Vibes for you pulling out of this one, Tom. Thanks for all of the years of great music throughout different chapters of my life. It was such a pleasure to see him play from the 8th row at Summerfest in July. It was the best show that I had ever seen him play out of the 6 times or so.
An underrated legend.

dime in the gutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlnahjm45b8&t=22s

most excellent. can't get it to post proper. apologies.

cameron crowe imbeds with the band.

hard promises/long after dark era.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Just stumbled across T. Hardy Morris' excellent cover of "Scare Easy".
Last edited by cortez the killer on Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

dime in the gutter wrote:

most excellent. can't get it to post proper. apologies.

cameron crowe imbeds with the band.

hard promises/long after dark era.
Fixed it for you
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

dime in the gutter

bovine is a fucking genius.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:
Just stumbled across T. Hardy Morris' excellent cover of "Scare Easy".
Patterson sang that with him at Homecoming last year.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Scare Easy might be a Top 5 Petty song.

Of course, there's a hundred Petty songs that could fall into that slot on a given day.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here's a series of Instagram posts, all from this morning, by Brian Henneman of the Bottle Rockets
Watched the documentary on the making of this album last night right before I fell asleep. Woke up this morning missing Tom, missing my youth, and feeling totally inadequate as a songwriter. May have to dig a Ric outta the closet today and hold it like a security blanket for awhile...
I only saw him twice. He’s my favorite. The best. People think of Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark, and guys like them as great songwriters. They ARE, but nothing they ever wrote ever hit me the way Tom did. Tom Petty lyrics are like the unspoken random thoughts that pass through my head. I feel like he was inside me, pullin’ things out, and puttin’ ‘em in public. Glad he could, ‘cause I sure can’t seem to. None of the other “songwriters” ever did that to the degree Tom Petty did...
I only saw him on the Long After Dark tour, which was fantastic, then on Southern Accents, which wasn’t fantastic. It almost wasn’t even good. They were living on cocaine at that point. Didn’t phase my love for him though. Once I started touring in bands, I missed him every time. Never was home when he played here, never was anywhere else when he was playing either. The very last tour, I was home, but it sold out so fast I didn’t get tickets. I had the chance to get ONE ticket through Tom Bukovac, who was playin’ guitar with Joe Walsh. I turned it down because I didn’t want to go without Janet. I don’t regret that choice, but who knew that was my last chance to ever see him? Even if I knew, I still woulda made the same choice. Tom was one of those people I thought would never die...
If you want a true glimpse of the real “inner me” via songwriters, I only scratch the surface. The ones who really nail it are Tom Petty, who ALWAYS nailed it. Next closest would be John Prine. Merle Haggard did it quite often, and Neil Young did it, but he has more goin’ on than whatever I am. He nailed me consistently, but only occasionally. Tom Petty was 100%. Springsteen never once nailed the inner me, but he does in spirit. I love him for reasons other than his lyrics. My love for him comes more from the animal world. It’s recognition at the breed level...
I loved Tom from the first moment I heard him, which was his first album. No one wrote more songs I loved, for a longer stretch of time than he did. I’m at the age now where no one else has time to beat him. I’m living out the rest of my life already knowing who my lifetime favorite is...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:Here's a series of Instagram posts, all from this morning, by Brian Henneman of the Bottle Rockets
Watched the documentary on the making of this album last night right before I fell asleep. Woke up this morning missing Tom, missing my youth, and feeling totally inadequate as a songwriter. May have to dig a Ric outta the closet today and hold it like a security blanket for awhile...
I only saw him twice. He’s my favorite. The best. People think of Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark, and guys like them as great songwriters. They ARE, but nothing they ever wrote ever hit me the way Tom did. Tom Petty lyrics are like the unspoken random thoughts that pass through my head. I feel like he was inside me, pullin’ things out, and puttin’ ‘em in public. Glad he could, ‘cause I sure can’t seem to. None of the other “songwriters” ever did that to the degree Tom Petty did...
I only saw him on the Long After Dark tour, which was fantastic, then on Southern Accents, which wasn’t fantastic. It almost wasn’t even good. They were living on cocaine at that point. Didn’t phase my love for him though. Once I started touring in bands, I missed him every time. Never was home when he played here, never was anywhere else when he was playing either. The very last tour, I was home, but it sold out so fast I didn’t get tickets. I had the chance to get ONE ticket through Tom Bukovac, who was playin’ guitar with Joe Walsh. I turned it down because I didn’t want to go without Janet. I don’t regret that choice, but who knew that was my last chance to ever see him? Even if I knew, I still woulda made the same choice. Tom was one of those people I thought would never die...
If you want a true glimpse of the real “inner me” via songwriters, I only scratch the surface. The ones who really nail it are Tom Petty, who ALWAYS nailed it. Next closest would be John Prine. Merle Haggard did it quite often, and Neil Young did it, but he has more goin’ on than whatever I am. He nailed me consistently, but only occasionally. Tom Petty was 100%. Springsteen never once nailed the inner me, but he does in spirit. I love him for reasons other than his lyrics. My love for him comes more from the animal world. It’s recognition at the breed level...
I loved Tom from the first moment I heard him, which was his first album. No one wrote more songs I loved, for a longer stretch of time than he did. I’m at the age now where no one else has time to beat him. I’m living out the rest of my life already knowing who my lifetime favorite is...
I saw those too this morning. A pretty good instagram moment. Henneman's account can be quite entertaining sometimes... at other times he may disappear deep down into the guitars&gear rabbit hole.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote:[
I saw those too this morning. A pretty good instagram moment. Henneman's account can be quite entertaining sometimes... at other times he may disappear deep down into the guitars&gear rabbit hole.
Plus there is the dog :lol:

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Clams wrote:
I love his guitar and gear posts even though I don't understand a lot of it. He LOVES guitars.

Clams

Post by Clams »

jr29 wrote:
Clams wrote:
I love his guitar and gear posts even though I don't understand a lot of it. He LOVES guitars.
Yes he really does. I think he even works in a guitar shop too.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
jr29 wrote:
Clams wrote:
Yes he really does. I think he even works in a guitar shop too.
I think you are right. At least part time. Lots of pick-up swapping, love-hate relationship with telecasters and getting that 70's soft rock sound.

Edit to ad he was the guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo back in the days so I guess he knows his way around guitars. Also; on the topic of Tom Petty, I think BH is spot on with some of his statements. Been listening to lots of Petty since he past away. He was the master of turning simple stuff into classic songs.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That's a Hell of a tribute. Especially coming from a fellow artist.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

cortez the killer

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Good one Cortez, thanks.

10. After Petty’s sudden death in 2017, the Heartbreakers are openly considering a Wildflowers tour featuring guest singers.
Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House vocalist Neil Finn are currently on the road with Fleetwood Mac, taking over Lindsay Buckingham’s parts. But after that extensive tour wraps up in November, Campbell’s schedule will be open, and he’s said he’s considering embarking on a Wildflowers tour with the rest of the Heartbreakers. “It would be a great tribute to Tom to just do that album,” Campbell told Rolling Stone last year. “We’d probably have four or five different guest singers with us. We don’t know who they might be, though, or when this might happen.”

cortez the killer

https://open.spotify.com/episode/33H4Q9 ... G6tV6E-nmg
Great interview with Petty's oldest daughter, Adria, about Wildflowers II on Rick Rubin's Broken Record podcast.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM