Artist of the Week 6/27/11 - The Weight

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Artist of the Week 6/27/11 - The Weight

Post by cortez the killer »

As I sit here and type up my 3rd Artist of the Week feature, I think about what the purpose of this exercise is in the first place. Out of a mix of interest and boredom, I took a snarky comment made by Zip City (I know, very out of character for him) on the old 9B board and turned it into a semi-weekly feature called “Putting the 70’s on a Pedestal.” For those unfamiliar with those, they were essentially a listing of favorite songs by a particular band or artist during that decade. A few pictures or discussions about the artists and some talk of albums and tours would trickle in, pleasing the non-list crowd and fostering greater participation. With the early transition from 9B to 3DD, dime in the gutter, in his own passive/aggressive way, chided me to get some pedestals up. As I thought more about it, an Artist of the Week feature seemed to make more sense. This board is populated by a good number of folks who are very passionate about the music they like. Why not give them an opportunity to write about it? In the process, maybe some people are turned on to a completely new band that somehow never registered their radar. Perhaps the write-up fills in some missing pieces about a particular band or artist and/or provides a little context to the music they’ve been enjoying. Maybe there’s nothing new or exciting to report about a band many folks are already familiar with, but the author just feels very strongly about them and wants to express it through the feature. Along the way, we’ve seen some excellent write-ups on bands not so well-known (Nantucket, Bow Thayer & Perfect Trainwreck, Wooden Wand), some indie stalwarts (Sonic Youth, Alejandro Escovedo, Uncle Tupelo), 9B/3DD regulars (Slobberbone, The Dexateens, Hayes Carll), and established legends (Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, R.E.M.). There is no right or wrong decision when deciding who to cover. Ultimately, the best advice is to pick an artist or band you are passionate about, and let it fly. With that in mind, I’ve decided to write about a band that receives very little publicity or following outside the world of 9B/3DD - The Weight. If you are an old, crusty regular of the “Other Bands/Music News” forum, perhaps you know all there is to know about these guys, or all you care to. As I’ve poked around the internet, there isn’t a lot of information out there about these guys. However, there is enough to piece something together.

The Weight

Discography:
Ghost Town (EP) (Out of print)/Love God Murder (Date unknown)
Compass (Out of print)/Joseph Plunket & The Weight (2002)
Seven Stories (EP) (Out of print)/Joseph Plunket & The Weight (2003)
Ships (Single)/The Weight (2003)
Ten Mile Grace/The Weight (2004)
Are Men/The Weight (2008)
Summer Sessions (Limited edition, vinyl-only)/The Weight (2009)
Nowhere Now/The Weight (Slated for July 5, 2011)

RIYL:
Lucero, Whiskeytown, The Replacements, Star Room Boys, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Nebraska-era Springsteen

The Sound:
Rowdy honky tonk meets Southern-inspired rock and roll meets Bakersfield country meets introspective, at times brooding, folk-rock.

The Video:
The Weight's YouTube Channel

The Skinny:
Joseph Plunket is the founder and bandleader of a revolving door of musicians known as The Weight. Originally from Mississippi, Plunket cut his teeth in the 90’s playing punk rock in Athens, GA. After failing to catch on as a punk artist, Plunket switched gears and began writing and performing music with a more folk/country flavor. “I was really into Bruce Springsteen,” Plunket says. “But it was hard for me to believe I could sing like that. I loved that sort of music, but I had always played in bands where everyone was yelling. Then one day I sat down with a guitar and realized I had a decent voice. I kind of surprised myself. And I’ve never looked back.” That “decent voice” Plunket possesses is a gruff baritone that reminds me a bit of Steve Earle or Dwight Yoakam. With a new focus and sound, his first- known band (to my knowledge), Love God Murder, did not last long, cutting a now-out-of-print EP on the defunct Stickfigure Records titled, Ghost Town. Plunket retired the Love God Murder name and in 2002 released another out-of-print record (Compass) under the name Joseph Plunket & The Weight. I’ve poked around the internet looking for a copy of it, but have not had much success. I’ve seen it listed on eBay for about $30, but I don’t want it that badly. The following year Joseph Plunket & The Weight released an EP titled Seven Stories. Of course, this is out of print too, but I was able to score a new copy for a reasonable price via Amazon. The last I checked, you can still find new and used copies of it on Amazon. Plunket was still kicking around Athens when he released Ten Mile Grace in 2004. For this album, Plunket dropped his name and went simply with The Weight. While Ten Mile Grace did not sell very well, it was well-received by critics and The Weight were hailed as “one of the most promising groups on the new millennium's alt-country scene.” The lack of commercial success did not deter Plunket. "I want to make records I can be proud of and play as many shows as possible,” he proclaims. “Those have always been the goals I've had for this band, and I don't see them changing anytime soon." While the approach towards his music did not change, his location did, as Plunket relocated to Brooklyn, NY. “To me it’s not that different to what happened historically, with blues music going north to Chicago,” Plunket argues. “I could have gone to Nashville, but they’re going to laugh at me there so I figured it’d be a little easier if I headed north. As a rock band we’re more in tune to the kind of music that’s come out of New York.” With a more stable lineup (including his uncle Will Noland on bass), The Weight released Are Men in 2008. After touring to support Are Men, The Weight recorded Summer Sessions at The Living Room in Atlanta, GA. Limited to 300 pressings, Summer Sessions is a vinyl-only release and was only available at their shows. According to the only working website the band has left (http://www.theweightnyc.com/), a new album (Nowhere Now), is scheduled for a July 5, 2011 release.

Rarities Sampler:
(Click picture to download)

The records:
Seven Stories EP
Well, you’ll find me back in Athens, but I got nothing left to dream or chase after.

Seeing as I don’t have the two previous out-of-print albums (Ghost Town and Compass), I’m stuck starting with Seven Stories. This is a stripped-down, stark album, recorded in a friend of Plunket’s kitchen in Athens, GA. Surprisingly, the sound quality is very good. Plunket sounds a lot like Richard Buckner here. This EP consists of six intimate tales of love lost, and an interesting cover of The Smiths’ “There’s a Light That Never Goes Out.” On the six originals, it’s only Plunket and his acoustic guitar, beautifully accented by Susan Rose’s viola and Marlow Sanchez’s mandolin. Fans of Springsteen’s Nebraska and Earle’s Train A Comin’ will enjoy Seven Stories.

Ten Mile Grace
So we cut our teeth on rock and roll, broke our hearts and sold our souls.

Ten Mile Grace is a fantastic, late-night, headphones-on album. The warm, open production expertly highlights the excellent songwriting of Plunket. The acoustic guitars sound so crisp. John Neff’s pedal steel and Plunket’s Springsteen-inspired harmonica provide the perfect melancholic accents to these cry-in-your-beer tales of heartbreak and escape. I’d be remiss to not mention the incredible banjo that colors the gorgeous “Three Sixteen.” Amy Dykes’ harmonizing vocals are angelic and provide outstanding balance to Plunket’s throaty baritone. The vibe on this record reminds me a lot of Whiskeytown’s Faithless Street with its balance of brokenhearted, country-flavored ballads and amplified punk-fueled songs. The songs on Ten Mile Grace that burn are “Dragged Back In,” “St. Paul,” and “Sanchez!” The epic, hazy closer, “Streets Look Empty,” represents the perfect balance of country balladry, accented with pedal steel and harmonica, and punk energy courtesy of a couple soaring guitar solos. These plugged-in moments bring to mind what Ryan Adams sang on Faithless Street - “You say you wanna play country, but you’re in a punk rock band.” Whether or not that is the case, Ten Mile Grace clearly illustrates Plunket & Co. are comfortable wearing either hat.

Are Men
Just say there’s no Monday morning, there’s only Saturday night.

Well, if you were expecting a continuation of the Whiskeytown vibe conjured up on Ten Mile Grace, you are in for a surprise. Are Men is a rowdy, boozy record that shares a similar spirit with such 70’s “Outlaw” albums like Waylon Jennings’ Honky Tonk Heroesand Jerry Jeff Walker’s ¡Viva Terlingua! With its sing-a-long choruses and loose, drunken vibe, Are Men is a the perfect soundtrack to an evening of cheap domestic beer consumption and rabble rousing with your closest buddies. Every dive bar and honky tonk in America should have this record in their juke box. The ramshackle vibe on this record is not without irony. Up to this point, The Weight has been an ever-changing collection of musicians. The Are Men lineup, consisting of Fletcher C. Johnson on guitar, piano, and harmonica, Johnny Pockets on pedal steel and organ, Will Noland on bass, and J. Ellis on drums, is the most stable one Plunket has ever had. With the exception of “Sunday Driver” and “Hillbilly Highway,” the electric guitar dominates this record. We also get less harmonica this time around, but we are introduced to some excellent organ courtesy of Johnny Pockets who gets it rolling when he isn’t working the pedal steel. The Weight are not reinventing the wheel here, but this album does add another dimension to the sound Plunket cultivated on Seven Stories and Ten Mile Grace. He can hunker down and pour his heart out with tales of heartbreak, but he can also round up the fellas, tap the keg, and play some good, old-fashioned rock and roll, with just the right amount of twang.

Summer Sessions
I may not be strivin’, but I’m survivin’.

This LP was recorded during the summer of 2009 by Ed Rawls and Justin McNeight at Living Room Studios in Atlanta, GA. Limited to 300 copies, it was a vinyl-only release that was sold at their shows. The remaining copies from the tour were distributed online by Colonel Records and recently sold out. However, it appears that it might be re-released this summer on a wider variety of formats, under a different title - Nowhere Now. I come to this conclusion because the three songs up on the Band Camp site for Nowhere Now (“Nowhere Now,” “Grand Street,” and “Did You Ever Know, Boy?”) appear on Summer Sessions. Also, the Band Camp site states that Nowhere Now was recorded at The Living Room by Ed Rawls. However, there is no information on the band’s primitive website or their record label’s site regarding an upcoming release. The lack of information and publicity for this band is part of their charm I suppose. Summer Sessions is a much tighter record than Are Men is. The organ is more prominently featured, giving it a more of a 60’s rock record vibe. This vibe is never stronger than on the Fletcher C. Johnson-penned track “Did You Ever Know, Boy.” Johnson sounds like a cross between The Kinks’ Ray Davies and The Animals’ Eric Burton. The track could pass for a lost outtake from either band. I hope the record is re-released this summer, because it is a really strong collection of ten originals and a cover (the band does an excellent job with Albert Frank Beddoe’s old folk song, “Copper Kettle”). For those that are unfamiliar with Summer Sessions, three of the tracks (all excellent) can be heard here.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Re: Artist of the Week 6/27/11 - The Weight

Post by bovine knievel »

I know absolutely nothing about this band. Trusting your opinion... I am about to check them out.

Thanks for putting this together.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Great write-up, Cortez.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams

Post by Clams »

I don't know much about them, but I will say that Are Men is a tremendous record (thanks OBL!).
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Clams wrote:I don't know much about them, but I will say that Are Men is a tremendous record (thanks OBL!).

The Drifter has been playing Are Men for me. Real good. I need to put more time aside. I'm slacking.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

gold mine of a post. cortez laid out some great shit about these super cool threads and the weight is a band i dig, but know very little about. absolutely love are men and ten mile grace, prolly preferring the latter. mos def need to learn some more about their story. looking forward, with great interest, to following this thread.

all this wanderin'...'s got me feeling tired and restless.

cortez the killer

Smitty wrote:The Weight live at the Caledonia, Athens Ga 1/30/04

(courtesy of sloan simpson)

Cool cover of Pavement's "Summer Babe."
- DPM

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:However, it appears that it might be re-released this summer on a wider variety of formats, under a different title - Nowhere Now. I come to this conclusion because the three songs up on the Band Camp site for Nowhere Now (“Nowhere Now,” “Grand Street,” and “Did You Ever Know, Boy?”) appear on Summer Sessions. Also, the Band Camp site states that Nowhere Now was recorded at The Living Room by Ed Rawls. However, there is no information on the band’s primitive website or their record label’s site regarding an upcoming release. The lack of information and publicity for this band is part of their charm I suppose.

I've been thinking the same thing.

Bravo! Great analysis & passion as per usual Cortez. I love this band & need no encouragement, but the back story homework is much appreciated. I recently purchased high-end headphones and have been loving the re-listening experience with TMG & Are Men. I can also play this band anytime around my better half, as she is possibly even a bigger fan than I am.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Cortez - Excellent coverage of a band I've never heard of. I did listen to the Summer Sessions songs & they sounded very nice. I also liked the pedal steel in the video clip. Are Men sounds like a record I should check out (I dig electric guitars). I like the harp too, so I will delve a little deeper. Thanks for bringing these guys to my attention.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Thanks, Cortez! I've heard of them but know nothing. Thanks for the download and for the back story. Hope you're someday able to locate those first two albums.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Are Men is a gem. Great intro and perspective from Cortez on this amazing weekly feature. One of my absolute favorite spots of all to visit each week!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

i've got a job
i like to do it good

fuck ya

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

bovine knievel wrote:I know absolutely nothing about this band. Trusting your opinion... I am about to check them out.

Thanks for putting this together.

x2 Thanks for the rarities, going to look into getting Ten Mile Grace next.
Not forever, just for now.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Summer Sessions is seriously some great stuff. It's a perfect blending up of everything I dig in music. Thanks again!

Now I need to get my hands on Are Men

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:Summer Sessions
I may not be strivin’, but I’m survivin’.

This LP was recorded during the summer of 2009 by Ed Rawls and Justin McNeight at Living Room Studios in Atlanta, GA. Limited to 300 copies, it was a vinyl-only release that was sold at their shows. The remaining copies from the tour were distributed online by Colonel Records and recently sold out. However, it appears that it might be re-released this summer on a wider variety of formats, under a different title - Nowhere Now. I come to this conclusion because the three songs up on the Band Camp site for Nowhere Now (“Nowhere Now,” “Grand Street,” and “Did You Ever Know, Boy?”) appear on Summer Sessions. Also, the Band Camp site states that Nowhere Now was recorded at The Living Room by Ed Rawls. However, there is no information on the band’s primitive website or their record label’s site regarding an upcoming release. The lack of information and publicity for this band is part of their charm I suppose. Summer Sessions is a much tighter record than Are Men is. The organ is more prominently featured, giving it a more of a 60’s rock record vibe. This vibe is never stronger than on the Fletcher C. Johnson-penned track “Did You Ever Know, Boy.” Johnson sounds like a cross between The Kinks’ Ray Davies and The Animals’ Eric Burton. The track could pass for a lost outtake from either band. I hope the record is re-released this summer, because it is a really strong collection of ten originals and a cover (the band does an excellent job with Albert Frank Beddoe’s old folk song, “Copper Kettle”). For those that are unfamiliar with Summer Sessions, three of the tracks (all excellent) can be heard here.

np.
only 2 listens in, but i am grooving on this very hard. some new influences showing through. a few twists and turns away from previous work, but still majorly in the moment feel. so natural sounding. bro wears his new sounding coat with flying colors.

sorry for the rambling incoherence, but dead man's gun is kicking me the face as i type this.

our boy plunket can do a lot of really cool shit.

cortez, your thoughts on this one are spot on. great ear. well done.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

bovine knievel wrote:Summer Sessions is seriously some great stuff. It's a perfect blending up of everything I dig in music. Thanks again!

Now I need to get my hands on Are Men

I guarantee you will love Are Men.

Great write-up, cortez. I'll just chime in that the title track from Ten Mile Grace is a thing of ethereal beauty and that "Closer Than a Friend" from Are Men is pretty much a perfect song.

And honey, I may not know myself
But I know everyone else
And don't you treat me like them
Keep me closer than a friend
Closer than a friend

A big thank-you to all you guys who wouldn't stop playing Are Men in the months after it came out, mostly notably cortez and TC and miss joelle, too, because it got me to take a chance on it and it was love at first listen, which almost never happens to me.

This is who Amazon thinks you'll also like if you like The Weight:

Ryan Bingham
Drive-By Truckers
Deer Tick
Hayes Carll
Lucinda Williams
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
Dawes

Or maybe they've just been browsing my ipod.

I am not loving the Summer Sessions as much but I've only taken it out once. And these guys need to get on a better label. Guess I'll be forced to buy the new one from iTunes.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sunday Driver is one of my favorite "get off work, tired as hell, crack a tallboy & take the long way home " songs.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Nice job as usual Cortez! Back on 9B's you were posting Are Men (it seemed like) twice a day in the listening thread so when I found a copy of it at The Virgin Megastore I picked it up. I came back home and before i listened I posted something like "This better be good Cortez or you owe me 14.99" :lol: Well it was worth every cent and I love that album. Also picked up 10 Mile Grace which is just as good but much more dark and depressing. Looking forward to getting the new one.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

toogoodoo

Post by toogoodoo »

Anyone know what the story is with these albums that eMusic says are also by the weight?Image

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

toogoodoo wrote:Anyone know what the story is with these albums that eMusic says are also by the weight?Image

Totally different band.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Here is a 7 song live set by the original Weight line-up The Love God Murder Recorded at the Earl Jan. 31, 2002

http://beyondfailure.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -live.html

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Picked up "Are Men" today. Really digging it so far.

Suttree

Post by Suttree »

Does anyone have a link for "Summer Sessions"? Big fan of Plunkett and The Weight, bought "Are Men" and it was ace. Been looking for Summer Sessions forever and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

AJaX

Post by AJaX »

great thread!

AJaX

Post by AJaX »

ten mile grace is where it's at for me

Suttree

Post by Suttree »

Found this for everyone to check out...

http://www.vice.com/practice-space/the-weight

Any recent news on this band?

cortez the killer

Suttree wrote:Found this for everyone to check out...

http://www.vice.com/practice-space/the-weight

Any recent news on this band?

Cool video Suttree. Plunkett looking a little like a 70's version of Tom Brady without the cleft chin. Only recent news I've come across is Summer Sessions has been officially released as Nowhere Now a few weeks ago. News of a tour would be really nice.
- DPM

Suttree

Post by Suttree »

A tour would be so sick, wish some of their info was updated. You would think there would have been more publicity around that release?

New video for Job To Do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ads-1ycvmXk