Artist of the Week 6/5/2011: Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Emily

Artist of the Week 6/5/2011: Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs

Post by Emily »

3DD Artist of the Week: Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs

Ain’t nobody gonna love me like the devil do...

Like most of the music I discovered as a teenager, I found out about Holly Golightly through her affiliation with the White Stripes. The first time I heard her was on the last track of the White Stripes record Elephant, “Well It’s True That We Love One Another”. Later I heard her singing on the Greenhornes’ 2002 Dual Mono. In 2008, I found out she was coming to town with the Brokeoffs, and since I really liked the few things I’d heard from her before, I went to the show.

It wasn’t until I got there that I realized “the Brokeoffs” were actually just one guy – Lawyer Dave. [He’s not really a lawyer. Evidently the name is an inside joke between the duo that somehow involves a coffee mug.] But he did an excellent job of compensating for being just one guy/not a lawyer by playing drums with his feet, playing slide guitar and singing simultaneously.

Their sound is very pared down - a kind of twangy country-blues that’s often lyrically hilarious [“I’m getting high for Jesus because he got so low for me”]. And they put on great live shows. Not only is the music excellent, but the dynamic between the older, very-English-woman-moved-South Holly, and the younger, Texas-born-and-bred Lawyer Dave makes for a very amusing contrast of accents and between-song story telling.

They have four albums to date:

You Can’t Buy A Gun When You’re Crying 2007
Dirt Don’t Hurt 2008
Medicine County 2010
No Help Coming 2011

And here is there myspace page, where you can hear all the hits:

http://www.myspace.com/hollygolightlyandthebrokeoffs

she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

scotto

Re: Artist of the Week 6/5/2011: Holly Golightly & the Broke

Post by scotto »

Big Holly Golightly fan.
Got to see her with the Greenhornes way back when. Dirt Don't Hurt was one of my favorites when it came out. Haven't heard the others (haven't gotten the recent one yet), but these would be big favorites of a lot of folks here if given a chance.
Good stuff, Emily.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

she goes way back as a Headcoatee as well, the side 'girl' project that Billy Childish had going. btw, Childish's feud w/ Jack White was excellent.

i am way more into BC than HG, but did get a chance to finally see her and Dave a couple of years ago. fun show.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I enjoyed No Help Coming a lot. I now need to dive into more of the back catalog. Thanks for the review!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Who would have guessed that Breakfast at Tiffany's would have such staying power in pop culture, and none of it due to "moon river," either? Certainly not me.

Thanks, Emily. Not familiar w/ her/them; they sound worth checking out.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Jolly good! Cup o' tea then, Bruce!