AotW 5/8/11 - Magnolia Electric Co. RIP Jason Molina

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Artist of the Week 5/8/11 - Magnolia Electric Co.

Post by Duke Silver »

Anyone else have a hard time warming up to Fading Trails and Josephine? I like 2-3 songs from each, but overall they kinda bore me, Josephine especially. It's a pretty record, but most of it doesn't really connect with me.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:intentional or not, trials and errors live lp takes the ny/crazy horse influence deal and kinda smashes it to bits in an unexplicable way. part exorcism of some inner demons/part homage......very tough to pull that off w/o coming across as a douche tag. dude nails it.........it is a big, beautiful, sprawling, bad ass rock and roll record. lyrically, bro is in a dark space all his own. totally consumed.

There's no question the Shakey + El Caballo Loco influence is there. Personally speaking, I believe it is a conscious decision on Molina's part to go in that direction. I couldn't begin to speculate on why he went in that direction, but it seems pretty conscious to me. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say he blows it up, but I do believe he takes that whole vibe and makes it his own. Maybe I'm simply restating what you already said.

I'd never refer to him as douchey. He's definitely a quirky little fucker, but not douchey. And you're 100% correct when you say he nails it. If an alien came down from outter space and wanted to know what rock and roll was all about, Trials & Errors would be one of a handful of records I play for him (or her). Loud. Bombastic. Energetic. Electric. Catharic.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:Making of Josephine Video

excellent.

cortez the killer

Duke Silver wrote:Anyone else have a hard time warming up to Fading Trails and Josephine? I like 2-3 songs from each, but overall they kinda bore me, Josephine especially. It's a pretty record, but most of it doesn't really connect with me.

I love Fading Trails and I like Josephine. With the exception of a few songs, Josephine is a lot different than the previous MEC stuff, so I think it takes some getting used to. You go in expecting a certain sound/vibe and you get something different. I think that might be a long-winded way of avoiding the overused term "grower." As I mentioned in my brief write-up, FT has a patchwork feel to it, but the songs are really strong. I mean, songs like Don't Fade on Me, Lonesome Valley, Montgomery, The Old Horizon, Talk to Me Devil Again, and Spanish Moon Fall and Rise rank up there as some of my favorites.
- DPM

cortez the killer

cortez the killer wrote:The physical box set included “The Road Becomes What You Leave” DVD, a film by Todd Chandler and Tim Sutton documenting Magnolia Electric Co.’s trek across the prairie provinces of Canada. When I started assembling this feature, I had a link to the video. However, it has since been taken down.

This isn't the whole thing, but it gives you an idea of what the documentary is like.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just because this is last weeks AotW doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the first page. Top notch stuff. Oh and the show StevieRay referred to was killer. My friend Matt said it best, referring to how good it was at a slow point of that show "Fourteeen dollars? Are you kidding me?"
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Just like to say a big thanks to Cortez for posting this up. I've now gone out and bought two of the albums (Songs:Ohia and What Comes After the Blues) and I'm trying to work out why I haven't done this before. Much appreciated.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Anyone have any news on Molina, health or otherwise?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Smitty wrote:Anyone have any news on Molina, health or otherwise?

There was a post from the administrator of the Magnolia Electric Co message board that said he hadn't heard from Jason since the end of 2009. I'd like to think no news is good news, but the longer we hear nothing the more disconcerting it gets.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Sooo, he did this interview in May 2010 and published it last month, 13 months later. Molina living in London since 2008 (which would have been before Josephine recording in 2009 in Chicago). No mention of why he has been incognito since the Will Johnson album other than the usual unknown disease. Hmmmm.

cortez the killer

The Sojourner box set (originally limited to 5,000 copies) has been re-circulated by Secretly Canadian for $40. They've also put together a cool vinyl bundle package (Trials & Errors, What Comes After the Blues, Fading Trails, Josephine, 7" edition of Rider, Shadow, Wolf, instant download code for Hard To Love A Man which is currently unavailable on LP and a 17" x 22" Magnolia Electric Company poster) & a CD bundle package (What Comes After the Blues, Hard To Love A Man, Fading Trails, Josephine, instant download code for Trials & Errors which is currently unavailable on CD and a 17" x 22" Magnolia Electric Company poster). Ordering information for all found here.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

a note from jason
http://content.magnoliaelectricco.com/
Dear friends and family.
It has been a long hospital year. You all have done so much and given so much to further my cause on this planet that I feel compelled to give you a little note. The response towards my medical fund and other support has been better than I could have ever imagined. I spent my time on the farm which was more like the opposite of a tour of duty, but it was good in its way. I have been moved around quite a bit too, Chicago, England, Indiana, West Virginia and back and forth to each. For the time being I am doing well, still in recovery and still in treatment until probably the summer does its thing. I’ve been writing a lot of music and eagerly anticipate the new 10” with Will Schaff’s book, word is that end of May we might finally get them. It is slow going, but it is going. I did write about 500 letters to many of you who sent me good wishes and more, oddly the facility I was in decided to keep them all instead of sending them. I’ll start re-collecting post box information when I am in a place for any length of time. Treatment is good, getting to deal with a lot of things that even the music didn’t want to. I have not given up because you, my friends have not given up on me. I do still need your support however that takes shape, good vibes are worth more than you might think. Finally, there are actually some musical projects on the distant radar screen, but for those who understand, I am taking this in much smaller steps than I’m used to. Keep the lamps trimmed and burning!

JM
5 May 2012
Indianapolis

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Thanks for that post deedee. I'd been wondering about how Jason was doing. Fingers crossed for a recovery, and this encouraging news.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I recently got a new 160g iPod which has allowed me to rediscover a ton of great music I havent listened to in a while. Songs:Ohia and Magnolia Electric have been heavy in the rotation and Jason Molina has been on my mind. So talented and such a great band. Thanks for the exceptional and timely write-up.
Not forever, just for now.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I really hope he makes it.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

just re-read. most excellent thread, cortez.

cortez the killer

Upcoming Jason Molina Benefit in London this September.

This is why…

by host Laurie McNamee

This September I will be organising a London based benefit concert for Jason Molina; the proceeds of which are intended for Jason’s medical fund. I am also teaming up with other Molina fans across the world to put together a benefit album of covers of Jason’s songs.

I would also like to bring to the fore front the issues surrounding alcohol and drug abuse – something which affects so many people – and something which I feel very strongly that people need help with.

I can’t imagine a better way for me personally to help Jason. I have been a huge admirer of Jason’s music for some 13 years, and am heavily influenced by his music as a musician myself. Like many appreciators of his music I have missed seeing him play live and hearing new music from him for the last three years or so.

When I learnt about his illness and medical bill issues connected with this, I tried to think about how to raise money for him and so he can carry on with his music. The best answer for me was with music, and I have got some wonderful musicians and promoters on board in my home city of London, and some from further afield how have their own connection to Jason either having worked with him, or being influenced, or simply appreciative of his music.

After a very successful ‘trial’ at my 30th birthday party in January, where the wonderful Jess Bryant; Fierce County; Ola Lemke (the other half of my duo Lady with the Lempkin); Rafaeli and the Real and Ali Warren, each played a song of Jason’s amongst a set of their own songs, I decided to put on the concert ‘properly’ to raise money for Jason

Here is some more information on why his family have set up a fund for his medical bills.

You can donate directly as well. Details can be found in the link above.

I have received various stories from friends, associates, and fellow musicians regarding Jason’s health issues. A very touching account can be found here.

I aim now to make the concert as successful as possible. The main aim is, of course, to raise as much money for Jason’s medical fund as possible, but also to bring his need for help to as wide an audience as possible and to re- introduce his music to his fans, as well as new fans, through the artists who are influenced by him and love his music.
- DPM

cortez the killer

If you donate to Jason's medical fund, you receive a download of Magnolia Electric Co.'s September 25, 2007 show @ Cat's Cradle. Details here.

1. Texas 71 07:29
2. Down The Wrong Road Both Ways 05:24
3. Lonesome Valley 03:52
4. Bowery 06:04
5. Just Be Simple 05:32
6. Astrabel 04:26
7. I've Been Riding With The Ghost 07:53
8. The Dark Don't Hide It 05:00
9. Shiloh 04:42
10. It's Easier Now 06:24
11. You Win Again 03:35
12. Long Dark Blues 07:57
13. One Thin Dime / Hard To Love A Man 09:41
- DPM

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Just put down a donation. Thanks for the link Cortez, I have gotten some email updates off the old website but I must have missed this one. Nice find and here's to Jason's recovery.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Not super impressed with the quality. Good song list, but quality is definitely on the lower scale. It was a donation so I guess I can't bitch.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

This is just horrible.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Terrible. Didn't know he was dealing with this. Thought we might hear how well he was doing with his recovery soon.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/03/r ... on-molina/

I learned about MEC from this forum and really got to love his music. Very sad. The song "Hammer Down" will always remind me of the NC, too.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This is really upsetting. I learned of Jason Molina from the folks on 9B/3DD as well and really loved his work. One of the best shows I've seen in recent years was at the Hideout in Chicago with fellow 3DDers Joelle & StevieRay and our friend Matt. At one point Matt, who had never heard of Jason or Magnolia Electric Co. before, exclaimed "$13?? are you kidding me?" referring to the price of admission. Molina laughed and said he was glad we paid it because he didn't have $13 in his wallet. Such a talent, so sad. RIP.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Shakespeare wrote:http://pitchfork.com/news/50000-rip-jason-molina/

god fucking damnit

"organ failure due to excessive alcohol consumption" Wow, that sounds really horrible.

Great video of "Farewell Transmission" in that Pitchfork link. It's one of my very favorite songs of the 9b/3dd era.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck