Artist of the Week 5/3/2011- R.E.M. 1982-1985

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week 5/3/2011- R.E.M. 1982-1985

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I never saw R.E.M. in a club. My first two shows were at Duke in the mid to late 80's. The first time I saw them in a big venue was the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill on the Green tour and I thought they handled the transition well. Thanks to the fanclub, I had the good fortunate of seeing them from the front row (or at least somewhere thereabouts) on subsequent tours. When I first started attending concerts I would not go on my own, I preferred to travel with a friend. It soon dawned on me that I was going to miss out on a lot of concerts if I waited around trying to get friends to go with me. Most of my friends at that time simply didn't share my enthusiasm for music so trying to find someone to go was always a difficult task. I won tickets to see David Lindley and El Rayo-X at the Rialto Theatre in Raleigh way back when but didn't go because no one I knew wanted to go. Same for seeing Leon Russell, the Police and numerous other concerts but the one I probably kick myself the most over is missing U2, Grandmaster Flash, the Producers and Todd Rundgren play Kenan Stadium at UNC in '83 on the tour for War. I never saw U2 in concert until the 360°tour at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh in 2009. Yes, it was a far cry from seeing them at Kenan but I was not disappointed in the least. Nor am I ashamed of having seen Poco, Boston, Van Halen and the Outlaws at Carter Finley in 1979 or of seeing Kiss or Derringer/Foghat/The Outlaws at Dorton Arena in the 70's. In fact, seeing Kiss, Van Halen and Foghat in those days are some of my earliest and fondest concert memories. These days I'm more apt to see bands in clubs but I don't rule out the larger or mid-sized shows. Thing is, there seems to be less and less artists I want to see that play the larger venues these days.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^ Re the stadium shows, a friend of mine gave me what ended up to be 2nd or 3rd row tickets for the Stones at the Georgia Dome years ago. Amazing experience.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Markalanbishop wrote:^^ Re the stadium shows, a friend of mine gave me what ended up to be 2nd or 3rd row tickets for the Stones at the Georgia Dome years ago. Amazing experience.

I am old. I would rather see Jayhawks with my beer on the stage, which happened last year, than Springsteen or any other mega star, from 80 yards away, which happened in 1985.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

oilpiers wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:^^ Re the stadium shows, a friend of mine gave me what ended up to be 2nd or 3rd row tickets for the Stones at the Georgia Dome years ago. Amazing experience.

I am old. I would rather see Jayhawks with my beer on the stage, which happened last year, than Springsteen or any other mega star, from 80 yards away, which happened in 1985.

With you all the way, but making eye contact with Keef was a true fanboy experience. I'm old too, but I'm immature.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Markalanbishop wrote:
oilpiers wrote:

With you all the way, but making eye contact with Keef was a true fanboy experience. I'm old too, but I'm immature.

Well, you were upfront. Hell, I'd go to any stadium show if I was upfront. The odds are against me. My very first show was at the time, 1978, the largest one day concert ever. Over 250,000 people. I was 100 yards from the stage and in the top 20% for closeness. Cal Jam 2.

For those that are not fans of later R.E.M. what about Leave, from New Adventures in Hi Fi. I think it is one of the best songs they ever made.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
oilpiers wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm obviously going to speak my mind if I disagree and I disagree that R.E.M. made a conscious decision to sell out with Green. As for Buck being the one that said he was going to "lock away the mandolins" after Out of Time, I was just attempting to set the record straight that it wasn't Mills that said that.

Fine. I get it. Not sure you do though. Anyone could go through any post ever made and find 15% or more they disagree with. And then continue to try to reinforce that point. It may very well be legit. But what is the point of doing that? I already admitted I made a "mistake" regarding Buck/Mills/and mandolins. Did Murmur not blow your mind? Was Chronic Town not the most mind kicking shit when it came out? Didn't Stipe fucking trip you out before he was a known entity? I guess some people just like to cherry pick the shit they disagree with and try to prove their point by repeating it.

Who is it that was being "touchy" again?

I didn't realize you were expecting my assessment of R.E.M.'s career or my thoughts on specific albums. To that end, this is ground well covered in this thread as well as on the board in general but I became a fan the moment I heard "Laughing" on WQDR in Raleigh in '83 and remained a fan up until the very end in 2011. Throughout the course of those 28 years there were a lots of ups and downs but my fandom only seriously wavered a handful of times, including when Bill left. I was never once put off by them signing that contract with WB in the late 80's or with the music they made directly afterwards. In fact, I was happy for them and glad to see them reaping the rewards of touring and recording relentlessly for 10 years. What they may have lacked on an inspirational level once losing Bill they more than made up for by continuing to be one of the very best live bands out there. Speaking just for myself, I've never understood the mentality behind fans that jump ship when one of their favorite artists becomes the least bit successful either by having a hit single, playing larger venues or by signing a major label contract but for whatever reason, I stayed a fan throughout R.E.M.'s career. That doesn't mean I think they were infallible. They certainly made their fair share of poor choices as well as songs and albums I may not be so fond of but in the end, to quote Mike Mills, they did it their way, including how they chose to part ways. Most bands meet their demise due to the death of a band mate or some sort of inner band strife. R.E.M. parted as friends and left their fans wanting more. They very well could have gone on some sort of never ending, big money reunion tour a la the Eagles but they didn't.

I don't disagree with any of this, and don't think I stated anything that indicates that I did.

Kudzu Guillotine

oilpiers wrote:I don't disagree with any of this, and don't think I stated anything that indicates that I did.

No, you didn't because I'm guessing you hadn't read anything I've mentioned about this previously on the board. I was referring to you getting upset with my previous posts in this thread.

Kudzu Guillotine

Goes to show you never know what's out there. I'd never seen this clip before last night. Cool how Stipe even sings the title of the song in French.

Kudzu Guillotine

The image is too large to post here but for those interested in doing so you can take a gander at a test pressing of Murmur at the Just A Frisbee blog here.

Kudzu Guillotine

This is footage from MTV's Rock Influences: Folk Rock program that hasn't been seen in years. There is a good bit of footage from that program which could be found on YouTube but not this clip, at least until recently (the upload is from late December, 2013). From what I understand, footage from the entire program was recently sent to the folks at The R.E.M. Timeline (they're on FB and have their own website) so hopefully more clips will be surfacing soon.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:This is footage from MTV's Rock Influences: Folk Rock program that hasn't been seen in years. There is a good bit of footage from that program which could be found on YouTube but not this clip, at least until recently (the upload is from late December, 2013). From what I understand, footage from the entire program was recently sent to the folks at The R.E.M. Timeline (they're on FB and have their own website) so hopefully more clips will be surfacing soon.

I was at that show. Capital Theater in Passaic NJ

Kudzu Guillotine

emandrisdad wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:This is footage from MTV's Rock Influences: Folk Rock program that hasn't been seen in years. There is a good bit of footage from that program which could be found on YouTube but not this clip, at least until recently (the upload is from late December, 2013). From what I understand, footage from the entire program was recently sent to the folks at The R.E.M. Timeline (they're on FB and have their own website) so hopefully more clips will be surfacing soon.

Back when this originally aired all I could do was read about it in TV Guide as cable had yet to come to my neck of the woods so any footage I've been able to see of it over the years has been heaven sent. I have seen a good bit it but very few clips of R.E.M. performing with the other artists on the show. I had never seen this particular clip until it was posted by The R.E.M. Timeline. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when and if there's ever any official releases from the vault that the folks from the Timeline will be allowed to curate it. I'm not sure if you've ever checked out their site or FB page but they go the extra mile as far as cleaning up audio recordings and footage as well as providing accurate and detailed historical info. They also continue to document the careers of the individual members post-R.E.M. When it comes to Peter Buck alone, that can be a full time job. That's one busy and prolific motherfucker. In addition to being on the verge of releasing his second solo record, there are also new albums on the way from The Baseball Project (due this spring) and the Minus Five. The Minus Five album will be a 5 LP vinyl box set that's coming out on Record Store Day in April. That's just the stuff I'm aware of.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
emandrisdad wrote:

Back when this originally aired all I could do was read about it in TV Guide as cable had yet to come to my neck of the woods so any footage I've been able to see of it over the years has been heaven sent. I have seen a good bit it but very few clips of R.E.M. performing with the other artists on the show. I had never seen this particular clip until it was posted by The R.E.M. Timeline. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when and if there's ever any official releases from the vault that the folks from the Timeline will be allowed to curate it. I'm not sure if you've ever checked out their site or FB page but they go the extra mile as far as cleaning up audio recordings and footage as well as providing accurate and detailed historical info. They also continue to document the careers of the individual members post-R.E.M. When it comes to Peter Buck alone, that can be a full time job. That's one busy and prolific motherfucker. In addition to being on the verge of releasing his second solo record, there are also new albums on the way from The Baseball Project (due this spring) and the Minus Five. The Minus Five album will be a 5 LP vinyl box set that's coming out on Record Store Day in April. That's just the stuff I'm aware of.

It's interesting because I don't really recall the "influences" playing with REM. They all played before REM. Richie Havens, Jesse Colin Young, McGuinn, Levon and Danko and I believe Richard Manuel and I think, John Sebastian all played prior to REM. Obviously McGuinn played with them but now I'm racking my brain to try to recall if any of the other guys did too.

Kudzu Guillotine

According to the clip below, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel, Levon Helm, Richie Havens, Jesse Colin Young, John Sebastian and Roger McGuinn were all part of the Rock Influences: Folk Rock episode. This blog entry (excerpted below) fromThe Power of Independent Trucking says that the performances of "Gloria" and "So You Want To Be A Rock n' Star" with McGuinn and the performance with John Sebastian of "Do You Believe In Magic?" were not broadcast, at least not in their entirety. It appears that the footage that's been acquired by the R.E.M. Timeline is uncut so hopefully we'll be seeing more of that soon.

R.E.M.
9 June 1984
Capital Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey

For MTV's "Rock Influences: Folk Rock" episode
mastered February 2012 by Analog Loyalist

Soundboard reel -> ? -> FLAC -> analogloyalist mastering -> you

Setlist:

01 ...intro...
02 Pale Blue Eyes
03 Second Guessing
04 Hyena *
05 Letter Never Sent
06 Harborcoat
07 Seven Chinese Brothers
08 Pretty Persuasion
09 So. Central Rain
10 Gardening At Night
11 9-9
12 Windout
13 Old Man Kensey *
14 Sitting Still
15 Driver 8 *
16 Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)
17 Radio Free Europe
18 Little America
-- So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star (w/Roger McGuinn)**
-- Do You Believe In Magic (w/John Sebastian) **
-- Gloria (w/Roger McGuinn) **

* - live debut.
** - not broadcast, and not included here. (I've never seen these on any soundboard set from this gig; it appears only an audience recording captured them.)

zoid

Post by zoid »

I went with Patterson to see the Orpheum and Grand Ole Opry shows.... Also went with Patterson to a show in Tuscaloosa sometime around the Orpheum show in 85.

Last edited by zoid on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Very nice, thanks for posting. I may have posted this previously but this is some rare footage (as well as an interview) from that Grand Old Opry show back in '86. The first clip is the interview and some brief snippets from the performance. The second clip is just the performance snippets, which are of better quality. There's not a whole lot of footage out there from the Pageantry tour so it's a real treasure to stumble upon stuff like this.

Kudzu Guillotine

Love Tractor with Mike Mills and Peter Buck circa 1983:

Kudzu Guillotine

The R.E.M. Method and Other Rites of Passage
From SPIN's Oct. 2005 issue, how indie rock learned to stop
worrying and love itself in the morning

R.E.M. PHOTO BY ASTEPHANIE CHERNIKOWSKI/ MICHAEL OCHS

Hud

Post by Hud »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Love Tractor with Mike Mills and Peter Buck circa 1983:

Thought this was going to be a song from one of the other Athens based bands.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Hud wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Love Tractor with Mike Mills and Peter Buck circa 1983:

Thought this was going to be a song from one of the other Athens based bands.

Love Tractor loves a cover. On the CD version of the Athens, GA Inside/Out soundtrack they cover "Shattered" with Buck. When I saw them at the Georgia Theatre during Athfest a few years back they did "No Quarter".

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

34 years ago today at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Athens, GA.

From the R.E.M. Timeline

Support: The Side Effects
Supporting: The $windle$

Possible sets
Set 1
I Can't Control Myself
God Save The Queen
Narrator
Just A Touch
Baby, I
Action
Needles And Pins
Hippy Hippy Shake
There She Goes Again
All The Right Friends
Shakin' All Over
Secret Agent Man
A Girl Like You
Permanent Vacation
I Can Only Give You Everything
Dangerous Times
Different Girl
Mystery To Me
(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
Lisa Says
Nervous Breakdown
Schéhérazade

Set 2
Honky Tonk Women
One Nation Under A Groove
Roadrunner
California Sun
Gloria

Notes
First ever R.E.M. performance. Some reports have the band playing under the name 'Twisted Kites', other reports claim there was no band name. Song order is not known (although 'I Can't Control Myself' and 'God Save The Queen' have been acknowledged to be the first two songs played) and it's not known what other songs were played.

Kudzu Guillotine

Eric Zimmerman, one of the first R.E.M. collectors I ever met after I went online in the late 90's has revived his R.E.M.ring site by posting the first in a series of podcasts. There's no narration, it's all music. He annotates the recordings (rare demos, live cuts, fan club singles, etc.) via individual posts on R.E.M.ring. Here's the first one.

Podcast #1 - April 6, 2014

Kudzu Guillotine

On the occasion of Reckoning turning 30 today.

Dusting ‘Em Off: R.E.M. – Reckoning
We go back to Rockville and revisit the band's sophomore classic.

Kudzu Guillotine

From a new Mike Mills interview. Personally, I hope they do release a box set someday. Hopefully one that's all rare stuff, outtakes, live cuts, etc.

Dow On R.E.M.’s 2011 career-spanning set “Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage,” we have three beautiful new R.E.M. songs – among your last moments together in the studio. I had heard that you recorded several others for consideration. Do you think we might get to hear those someday?

Mills I don’t know if we had any other new ones completed. There are almost always songs on every record that get left behind. Someday, if we ever do the “Absolute Complete Everything We’ve Ever Done” box set, I think all of that stuff will turn up. If we should ever decide to undertake (laughs) that particular effort.

Dow As a fan, it would be sweet to one day see a box set version of “Dead Letter Office” full of unreleased nuggets.

Mills It would represent a lot of digging, which might be fun, or it might just be insane. If Peter and I ever feel like combing through the vaults, we might just do that someday. I know there’s a lot of stuff sitting around in there, but how much of it is complete and worth seeing the light of day, we’ll have to find out.

RMD

Post by RMD »

What they should work on is some live archive stuff. Live shows up to the Life's Rich Pageant tour.

Kudzu Guillotine

RMD wrote:What they should work on is some live archive stuff. Live shows up to the Life's Rich Pageant tour.

I think I mentioned it in a previous post but they've released some concerts from the archives as part of the 25th anniversary editions of Murmur, Reckoning, Document and Green. The downside is, those concerts have been incomplete because they've edited out much of the cover material. They've never publicly addressed it but I guess it has to do with copyright issues. There's also time constraints due to the length of CD's, which led to last years Live In Greensboro EP that came out on Record Store Day. Even then, some songs (all covers) were edited out. That's unfortunate as covers were always a big part of their shows, even if there were just two or three of 'em in there. When and if they ever do start an archive series, I hope it isn't limited to one era. As much as I love the I.R.S. (and before) era, I've also enjoyed some transcendental moments in concert post-Bill Berry like when they broke out "Camera" for the first time in 15 years at Walnut Creek in Raleigh in 1999. Or, when Bill Berry jumped behind the drumkit for "Permanent Vacation" at the same venue in 2003. In 2008 (also in Raleigh), they brought Mitch Easter and Don Dixon up on stage for "Sitting Still". Though no recording of it exists (at least to my knowledge), the Minus Five (Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Mike Mills and Bill Rieflin) did an impromptu show at the Cave in Chapel Hill the night before R.E.M. played Raleigh.

I'm not sure at what point but somewhere along the line, they started professionally recording all of their shows so there's no telling what's in the vault. Several years ago, Peter Buck said that they were going to start making shows available for download via REMHQ.com but for whatever reason, that never happened. They've also said they were going to release all of their fanclub singles in one package but that's also never occurred. I have a feeling it's just something that's not real big on their priority list at present but when and if they ever decide to start releasing music from the vault, I hope they allow the folks from the R.E.M. Timeline (also on Facebook) to act as curators as those folks go above and beyond when it comes to nailing down every last detail and cleaning up vintage recordings to the best of their ability. Oftentimes, they even have input from Peter Buck and Bertis Downs when it comes to getting all the details correct as far as setlists, venues, dates, etc.

RMD

Post by RMD »

I like the live material on the reissues even if not complete. I just wish they had done the same for Fables and Pageant instead of the demos.

Kudzu Guillotine

RMD wrote:I like the live material on the reissues even if not complete. I just wish they had done the same for Fables and Pageant instead of the demos.

I personally find myself listening to the live stuff more but I believe they were trying to cover all the bases. Even then, there's no way to please everybody. I'd love to see an archival live series and a box set of outtakes, alternate versions, etc.

Kudzu Guillotine

There's nothing previously unreleased here and it appears to be available as a download only despite being broken into "Disc 1" and "Disc 2". I'm sure more details will surface soon.

R.E.M.’s 50-track ‘Complete Rarities: I.R.S. 1982-1987’ due out digitally next month

Tracklist: R.E.M. Complete Rarities: I.R.S. 1982-1987

Disc 1
1. “Radio Free Europe” [Original Hib-Tone Single]
2. “Sitting Still” [Original Hib-Tone Single]
3. “White Tornado”
4. “Gardening At Night” [Different Vocal Mix]
5. “Gardening At Night” [Acoustic]
6. “All the Right Friends”
7. “Moon River”
8. “Pretty Persuasion”
9. “There She Goes Again”
10. “Tighten Up”