Artist of the Week 5/3/2011- R.E.M. 1982-1985

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week 5/3/2011- R.E.M. 1982-1985

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

News report from the Monster era.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Was fun seeing Mike Mills last night singing on Old 97's cover of Driver 8 .
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

linkous

Post by linkous »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New interview with Stipe on the occasion of Monster's 20th:

Reclaiming 'Monster': Reflecting on R.E.M.'s Most Misunderstood Album with Michael Stipe

The Quietus jump on board as well.

http://thequietus.com/articles/16426-re ... nniversary

As somebody who fell out with REM around about the time of Document this album was of no great interest to me at the time, but at least they appeared to have been awakened from the snoozefest of Out Of Time and Automatic. And Kenneth was fun!

Kudzu Guillotine

Can't say I ever considered either Out of Time or Automatic For the People to be "snoozefests" as both records also had uptempo songs and weren't completely out of character for a band that had been labeled "folk-rock" early on. As I've mentioned previously and as Stipe says in the interview I posted, Automatic For the People was supposed to a raw rock n' roll record. Even though that didn't exactly work out at the time, I can't really fault them for it, especially since so many consider Automatic For the People to be their masterpiece. As for Monster, I took it out for a spin a few days ago and it holds up remarkably well. I may even like it more now than when it was first released.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Can't say I ever considered either Out of Time or Automatic For the People to be "snoozefests" as both records also had uptempo songs and weren't completely out of character for a band that had been labeled "folk-rock" early on. As I've mentioned previously and as Stipe says in the interview I posted, Automatic For the People was supposed to a raw rock n' roll record. Even though that didn't exactly work out at the time, I can't really fault them for it, especially since so many consider Automatic For the People to be their masterpiece. As for Monster, I took it out for a spin a few days ago and it holds up remarkably well. I may even like it more now than when it was first released.

Don't more people think Murmur is their masterpiece? Certainly in the circles I move(d) in, and the articles I have read it is, although Automatic is obviously highly rated by others. I think my problem with REM in the 90's was that I loved their 80's stuff so much when they were still young, lean and hungry, a group who loved touring and recording in equal measure which meant all the new songs were road tested to perfection before they hit the studio. Fast forward to the 90's and it's the age old dilemma, how to stay vital, unique, ground breaking and cutting edge when you no longer play clubs, bars or even 2000 seater venues, not being able to release an album per year on a label like IRS because you are now caught up in the cogs of the massive machine which is Warners, where everybody wants a piece of you.
The up shot of this is for me the 90's stuff is inferior by their own previous high standards, and it's no more than a hunch on my part but these albums were probably mostly written in the studio rather than written on the road(NAIHF being the obvious exception). OOT and AFTP are not crap records by any means, they're just not anywhere as good as the early stuff to my ears. I don't blame them for progressing the way they did, they just left me and perhaps many others like me behind when they did. I'm sure they got over it :D

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

AFTP is not my favorite REM record but, Find The River, may be my favorite REM song.

Kudzu Guillotine

I see more people (meaning fans and critics) refer to Automatic For the People as their masterpiece than Murmur. Though it's often heralded as one of the best debut records of all time, I believe Murmur often gets overlooked simply because it was their first record. The 25th anniversary edition in 2008 and their subsequent disbanding in 2011 helped to shine a light on those years but it was relatively short-lived. Personally, I prefer the I.R.S. era but I don't discount the Warner Brothers years (with or without Bill Berry) as there are high watermarks there as well, they just may not be as frequent, especially after Bill's departure. One thing that never changed is that they continued to be one of the best live bands on the face of the earth right up until the very end. I also admire them for knowing when to pull the plug even if it may have been after their expiration date. As Rob Sheffield said in Rolling Stone at the time, they ran it into the ground. Funny thing is, the three new songs they released on Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982–2011 showed there was still plenty of gas left in the tank, especially on "We All Go Back to Where We Belong" and "Hallelujah". While not as forward looking, "A Month of Saturdays" had a lot of the playfulness of old school R.E.M. that had largely gone missing on their fan club singles and b-sides. The most notable exceptions being the pair of Beat Happening covers they released as bonus tracks/b-sides around the time of Accelerate in 2008. "Airliner" was an inspired touch as well.

Kudzu Guillotine

R.E.M.'s Fall on Me gave me solace when I needed to retreat
Continuing our series on life-changing music: how Georgia’s finest provided the solitude necessary for coping with the whirlwind of a new life

Buying the sky … R.E.M. in the mid-80s

Kudzu Guillotine

Very cool to see a snippet from the Pageantry tour in here which make me wonder how much more footage they have in the vaults.

Watch A Trailer For 'R.E.M. By MTV'

October 21, 2014by BOB BOILEN • Oh my god, they look so young! It was 1981 when this little Athens, Ga. based band started making a splash. Over the years that followed they made waves. This small trailer for a larger documentary about R.E.M. is a beautiful peek at innocence, youth, the '80s and MTV. The music television network (it used to be that) and R.E.M. grew up together. Much of what that band did was documented on MTV, including its break up in 2011.The documentary, R.E.M. By MTV will premiere simultaneously on VH1 Classic and Palladia later in November. It'll also be included in the six-DVD set REMTV, out on Nov. 24. Also in the set: award highlights, TV appearances, live performances and plenty of tidbits and highlights from the vaults including both of the band's MTV Unplugged sessions from 1991 and 2001, live concerts from the other Athens, 99 performances spanning three discs and much more. Take a look at this, then imagine your favorite young band and the documentary that could get made 33 years from now.

Kudzu Guillotine

From Nuçi's Space:

One week from today we will launch Reconstruction of the Steeple, an Indiegogo fundraising campaign to renovate the St. Mary's Steeple and raise money for Nuçi's Space, with support and perks packages offered by R.E.M., Widespread Panic, Of Montreal, Drive-By Truckers, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pylon, the B-52s, Danger Mouse, and Cloud Recordings. It has been a massive undertaking putting it together, and it will hopefully garner the attention deserved by such an amazing music scene working on such a cool project. We will announce the launch next Monday morning. Stay tuned to see what all that includes...."

Kudzu Guillotine

Press release for a new box set of I.R.S. era singles that's coming out on December 9th.

Eleven singles R.E.M. released between 1983 and 1988 with I.R.S. Records have been gathered for 7IN – 83-88, a new boxed collection of vinyl seven-inch singles to be released December 8 by UMC/Capitol. The singles feature replicated original picture sleeve art and the set includes two U.K. releases making their U.S. vinyl seven-inch debuts: “Finest Worksong” / “Time After Time” (live) and the double-pack single for “Wendell Gee” with “Crazy,” “Ages of You,” and “Burning Down.”

R.E.M.’s early storytelling was both epic and familiar, with themes of loss and alienation expressed in several songs, including “So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry),” “(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville,” and in their 1987 Top 10, “The One I Love.” This new, transformative music emitted from the sleepy/sharp college town of Athens, Georgia, where R.E.M. and other bands forged a scene, which spawned a movement and ultimately led to a cultural sea change in music.
1987’s “It's The End Of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” was a tongue-twisting pop culture rally cry, beckoning to the tuned-out masses, listless casualties of 1980s economics, politics, and general ‘Me Generation’ malaise. In December 1987, Rolling Stone’s year-end issue celebrated R.E.M. on its cover as "America's Best Rock & Roll Band." By the end of R.E.M.’s run with I.R.S. Records, the band’s success had paved the way for a new generation of alt-rock and grunge acts, as Athens’ finest continued to lead the charge.

Popular music’s modern-day evolution can be traced in step with R.E.M.’s ascent and reign as one of music’s most creative and influential bands. Explore the history that leads back to Athens. These are the documents.
http://www.remhq.com

R.E.M. ‘7IN – 83-88’
“Radio Free Europe” / “There She Goes Again”
“So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)” / “King of the Road”
“(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville” / “Catapult” (Live)
“Can’t Get There From Here” / “Bandwagon”
“Driver 8” / “Crazy”
“Wendell G” / “Crazy” + “Ages of You” / “Burning Down” [U.K. double-pack, previously unreleased in U.S.]
“Fall On Me” / “Rotary Ten”
“Superman” / “White Tornado”
“The One I Love” / “Maps and Legends” (Live)
“Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” / “Last Date”
“Finest Worksong” / “Time After Time” (Live) [U.K. single, previously unreleased in U.S.]

Kudzu Guillotine

Excerpt from the new R.E.M. By MTV documentary which is part of the new 6 DVD set R.E.M.TV which comes out on November 24th. In this clip they talk about the making of Out of Time and how unhappy Warner Brothers was with them at time for not touring behind it.

R.E.M. By MTV
How Michael Stipe and co took on the 90s with Out of Time

RMD

Post by RMD »

I will say it again. Open the vaults with live shows. I can give a shit about this Dvd release.

Kudzu Guillotine

RMD wrote:I will say it again. Open the vaults with live shows. I can give a shit about this Dvd release.

What I'm most interested in seeing is the documentary. I have a friend in London that attended one of the screenings that said it was mind blowing mainly because of some of the previously unreleased footage. I'm also looking forward to the I.R.S. Cutting Edge footage even though I have most of it on the When the Light Is Mine DVD. Unfortunately, one of the songs that's been cut is "Stretch My Hands Out (Trains)", an original song that I've never heard. I hoping that it and some of the other stuff from that session will turn up as Easter eggs but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, not trying to be a smart ass but these are live performances. Considering the Unplugged appearances, Storytellers and some of the other concert footage includes bonus material that's never been seen before I'd rather they be out there than not be available at all, especially the full length Unplugged performance from '91. I do know what you mean though. Despite what Mills said a few months ago about not wanting to just dump out the vaults that appears to be exactly what they (or more accurately, the record companies) are doing. Hopefully, they'll start up a live archive series but that remains to be seen. One thing that's been disappointing about the live shows that were included with the 25th anniversary editions of Murmur, Reckoning, Document and Green is that they were edited, usually cutting out some of the cover material. I've never seen that addressed by members of the band anywhere but my guess is, it has do with legal reasons regarding royalties. That's a real travesty especially considering one of their strong suits was their way with cover material both live and in the studio.

Kudzu Guillotine

In-store for Murmur circa 1983
Photo by Laura Levine

Kudzu Guillotine

To my knowledge, this footage has never been made available in it's entirety previously except maybe in bootleg form. It seems like it would have been a shoo-in for inclusion on the new REMTV 6 DVD collection that just dropped today since portions of this concert originally aired as part of the Rock Influences: Folk Rock program on MTV back in 1984. It would have been a welcome addition as REMTV is sorely lacking material from the I.R.S. era. This upload is courtesy of the Music Vault YouTube channel. They've also uploaded R.E.M.'s performances from the Bridge School Benefit at Shoreline Amphitheatre from October 17 & 18, 1998.

R.E.M. - Full Concert
Recorded Live: 6/9/1984 - Capitol Theatre (Passaic, NJ)

More R.E.M. at Music Vault: http://www.musicvault.com
Subscribe to Music Vault: http://goo.gl/DUzpUF

Setlist:
0:00:00 - Introduction
0:01:00 - Pale Blue Eyes
0:03:47 - Second Guessing
0:06:42 - Hyena***
0:10:16 - Letter Never Sent
0:13:19 - Harborcoat
0:17:00 - Applause
0:17:26 - Seven Chinese Brothers
0:21:27 - Banter
0:21:59 - Pretty Persuasion
0:25:54 - South Central Rain
0:29:10 - Gardening At Night
0:32:49 - 9-9
0:37:48 - Applause
0:38:13 - Old Man Kensey***
0:42:07 - Sitting Still
0:45:15 - tuning / banter
0:45:39 - Driver 8***
0:49:00 - Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)
0:52:58 - Encore Applause
0:55:11 - Radio Free Europe
0:58:54 - Little America
1:01:41 - Encore Applause
1:05:37 - So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star*
1:08:17 - Applause
1:09:12 - Do You Believe In Magic?**
1:11:12 - Applause
1:11:43 - Gloria*
1:15:45 - Outro

* with Roger McGuinn
** with John Sebastian
*** first live performances of these songs

Edited To Add
This isn't the full concert after all, the footage ends at the 17:03 mark right after "Harborcoat". However, footage of the entire concert is available on the Music Vault website along with this interview which runs 33:50.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I was rather disappointed by REM by MTV. To each his own.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:I was rather disappointed by REM by MTV. To each his own.

I haven't seen it since I don't have TV, nor can I afford the DVD set so it's going to be a while. While most of the responses I've seen have been favorable, those that didn't like it seem to have taken issue with the footage which they said they've seen before. Others were disappointed by how they skipped over the post-Bill Berry era but that may have been because they received little to no coverage during that time period because MTV was no longer a music channel.

I have seen excerpts here and there. Of those, I must say I really enjoyed this segment on the Lifes Rich Pageant era. Yet another record where some fans cried "sellout". I don't get that at all from this piece. It appears as though they went head-to-head with Don Gehman during the making of the album. Not new news but it's the first time I've seen this footage (cable didn't come to my neck of the woods until '89).

BTW, if you haven't watched the interview from '84 I linked to in my previous post, I highly recommend checking it out especially if you're a fan of the I.R.S. era.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Kudzu the thing I didn't like is it seemed like a "clips show". I had seen a lot of the interview footage before.

Don't get me wrong I didn't hate it - it was just meh. But it does have me listening to REM as I type this so there's that.

Good for you for cutting the TV cord. My honey and I have a cottage in the woods with no TV. I am adjusting.

Kudzu Guillotine

Cutting the the TV cord wasn't really by design, it was more out of necessity but I'm not without it entirely as I still watch a few shows online. I also have Netflix, iTunes and on occasion, Redbox. The upside is, I'm not bombarded with the 24 hour news cycle.

This is one of the bonus features from the new doc that can be found on Disc 6 of REMTV.

Kudzu Guillotine

The headline is sort of deceiving as they don't really knock R.E.M. at all in the article or the video segment (which I'm guessing is excerpts from the new documentary).

R.E.M.'s New Business Plan: Cashing In on ’90s Nostalgia

No one in R.E.M. is dead. Phew.
Illustration by Justin Metz; Poster Photograph by Laura Levine

Kudzu Guillotine

For anyone that's ever been interested in any of the vintage R.E.M. t-shirt designs, though it looks like the only ones on sale now are the two on the bottom right. I'm sure the monkey/parrot design will go quickly as it's always been in high demand.

From REMHQ

Here we go: six (6) new old classic designs from the R.E.M. Originals Merch line including some recently unearthed all-time classics-- like with many things, these just get better with time and are in remarkably good shape considering they are decades in the vaults.

As with previous R.E.M. Originals reissues, quantities are VERY limited so order NOW at the REMHQ Store before they're all gone!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

i thought it was a pretty cool documentary

Kudzu Guillotine

Interview with Stipe that aired on CBS This Morning today.

Kudzu Guillotine

Peter Buck sitting in with First Aid Kit for their cover of "Walk Unafraid" from Up. The full length studio version of First Aid Kit's cover appears on the soundtrack for Wild.

Kudzu Guillotine

From yesterday at AthFest with Bill Berry sitting in on "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" with the Baseball Project. Jay Gonzalez was filling in for Josh Kantor on keys. Jay and Bill also sat in with Love Tractor (billed as "We Love Tractor") yesterday. No footage from their performance has surfaced yet, at least not to my knowledge. The R.E.M. Timeline (on FB) has photos up of the We Love Tractor performance and will have some soon of The Baseball Project.

Kudzu Guillotine

Cool broadcast from 1988 when Peter Buck and Mike Mills were guests on Jennifer Fox Armour's Sound of the City program on WUOG. You don't hear a whole lot from either Jennifer or Buck but Mills makes a pretty good DJ. Playlist below courtesy of the R.E.M. Timeline and some background info on the program from Jennifer below that. While it's cool to hear these folks on the radio the real treasure is the music itself, at least to my ears.

16 February 1988 - 'Sounds Of The City', WUOG 90.5FM, Memorial Hall, The University Of Georgia, Athens, GA
Porn Orchard - Our Band is Good In Bed
The Side Effects - Through With You
Mercyland - Black On Black On Black
The Primates - Hitler Youth
Dark Harvest - Back To Back
White Trash - Fear
Squalls - Cindy
Pylon - Crazy
Art In The Dark - Tell Me
La Di Das - Isadora Duncan
The B-52's - Give Me Back My Man
The Method Actors - Eye
El May Dukes - Life Goes On
Kilkenny Cats - Hands Down
Bar-B-Q Killers - Mark E. Smith
Doubts Even Here - Imagine This
Love Tractor - Fun To Be Happy
R.E.M. - Perfect Circle
Some of my favorite memories from my time as a student at the University of Georgia involve experiences that I had while working as a DJ at WUOG 90.5 FM. I not only had the opportunity to meet some great people while working at UOG, but I was also exposed to some fantastic music. And because I was the host of the Athens-only music show, Sound of the City, a lot of that music was being made by bands that I had the opportunity to see play live numerous times and by people who I got to know on a personal level. (Disclosure: I married one of those people.)

R.E.M. was (and of course still is) kind of a big deal. During my time in Athens, I was very used to seeing Peter, Mike and Michael (I never saw Bill) around town. When they weren't on the road themselves, members of R.E.M. would often show up at the Uptown Lounge or the 40-Watt Club to listen to and show support of other local musicians.

One night in 1988, I spotted Peter Buck, whom I knew casually, at the 40-Watt Club and I asked him if he would be a guest on Sound of the City. Peter told me that he would, but that he did not want to be interviewed. He explained that when he was in town he liked to be able to relax. I was fine with that and said that he could be a guest DJ and that he could decide which local bands and songs were to be played.

When Peter showed up at the station, he wasn't alone. I have decided, after listening to a recording of this show, that my 20-year-old self owes Mike Mills a beer.

Back then, I am sure that I thought it was a lot of fun to spend an hour with Mike and Peter. Today, as great as it has been to hear what was said on that show (I had almost no memory of what went on), it is hearing the music from that time that makes me really happy. A lot of the songs that were played that night only existed on carts -- and I have a feeling that they disappeared when the radio station's cart machines were packed away.

One final note: I was apparently very blasé back in my youth. I not only left the radio station that night without a copy of the show, I left the university a year later without having secured one. A few years passed, I wised up, and tried to find the recording, but it was too late. And I had a big old case of the sads. A really nice person, who I am sure has very good karma, went out of his way to not only find out who was on the tape, but also how he could reach them (me). And thanks to him, my decades-long case of the sads is gone and I have a Porn Orchard song stuck in my head. That's pretty cool.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From yesterday at AthFest with Bill Berry sitting in on "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" with the Baseball Project.
I somehow missed this when it got originally posted. The screen is small so I can't tell - is Peter Buck playing too?

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From yesterday at AthFest with Bill Berry sitting in on "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" with the Baseball Project.
I somehow missed this when it got originally posted. The screen is small so I can't tell - is Peter Buck playing too?
Buck wasn't there.