3DD artist of the week - 5/10/2010 - Todd Snider

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: 3DD artist of the week - 5/10/2010 - Todd Snider

Post by Iowan »

3milelake wrote:Backstage With Jimmy Buffett: Preview Todd Snider's New Memoir
Singer chronicles a life full of great songs and hilarious screw-ups in 'I Never Met a Story I Didn't Like'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20140502

I'm reading it right now, and absolutely love it. It covers some of the stories the Todd faithful know by heart, but it goes so much farther into detail and introduces a lot of new stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:
3milelake wrote:Backstage With Jimmy Buffett: Preview Todd Snider's New Memoir
Singer chronicles a life full of great songs and hilarious screw-ups in 'I Never Met a Story I Didn't Like'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20140502

I'm reading it right now, and absolutely love it. It covers some of the stories the Todd faithful know by heart, but it goes so much farther into detail and introduces a lot of new stuff.

Thanks for posting. I'd heard about the pineapple incident with Buffett before but not the "Margaritaville" one. Looking forward to checking out the book.

Kudzu Guillotine

Many moons ago, I remember seeing Todd and the Nervous Wrecks on a revival of ABC's In Concert. I'm not sure if this is from that but it's definitely from the same era.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

This is an interesting take on Mick Jagger by Todd. Lots of truth in this.

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/ ... ck-jagger/
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I posted this is in the books thread, but man is his book great. I hope he does another one. Made me realize I have a HUGE blindspot for everything before East Nashville Skyline. I need to get caught up.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:This is an interesting take on Mick Jagger by Todd. Lots of truth in this.

I love this. I've always been hard on Mick, particularly for not understanding why an awful lot of people think Exile is the greatest Rock album of all time, but Todd hits on a lot of truth here.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:This is an interesting take on Mick Jagger by Todd. Lots of truth in this.

I love this. I've always been hard on Mick, particularly for not understanding why an awful lot of people think Exile is the greatest Rock album of all time, but Todd hits on a lot of truth here.

Am I the only one who gets irrationally angry anytime I read the comments on an article like this?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Am I the only one who gets irrationally angry anytime I read the comments on an article like this?

Reading the comments to almost anything on the internet is detrimental to one's well being, Anytime I get irrationally angry sitting in my chair at home my wife looks at me and says "you're reading the comments aren't you?". :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:I posted this is in the books thread, but man is his book great. I hope he does another one. Made me realize I have a HUGE blindspot for everything before East Nashville Skyline. I need to get caught up.

I'd start with "Happy To Be Here". It's in my Top 3 Todd Snider studio albums.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

it seems to me
that while Bob Dylan and Keith Richards
go way out of their way to make sure
everybody knows
how little they care
what everybody thinks
about them

Jagger just doesn’t

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The guy who turned Todd onto the Moondawg's Tavern scene passed away today. Zeke Logan was one half of the radio duo Drake and Zeke... absolute Memphis legends. In his book Todd said he heard Zeke talking about it on the radio, thought it was some fictitious party pad, then approached Zeke at a bar only to find out Moondawg's was quite real. The rest is in the songs.
I have been a fan of that show for 15 years. Cancer stinks.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Todd's playing in Des Moines, on a Saturday night in April.

Right in the middle of planting. This guy is praying for a rain out.

Kudzu Guillotine

As you'll see from reading this interview, it appears that Todd's not in a good place at present. Sure hope the dude gets some help.

Singer-songwriter Todd Snider, bearer of bad news

Todd Snider describes himself as “part vandalism and part rock.”
Photo: Señor McGuire

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:As you'll see from reading this interview, it appears that Todd's not in a good place at present. Sure hope the dude gets some help.

Singer-songwriter Todd Snider, bearer of bad news

Todd Snider describes himself as “part vandalism and part rock.”
Photo: Señor McGuire
Yeah he doesn't sound good at all.
Last edited by Clams on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

When I click to the article it just gets swamped in pop ups.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs wrote:When I click to the article it just gets swamped in pop ups.
Figured it out.

Yeah, not sounding too good.
Beebs is not a ragey man

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Get your shit together, Todd.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Todd's recent setlists look fantastic. I am kicking around the idea of seeing him in St. Louis in a couple months and hoping he plays a Memphis show sometime this summer. I do believe the last one he played here drew 4 or 5 thousand people to the Levitt Shell.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Seeing which (or if) Todd shows up is part of the process these days.
Last month in Santa Cruz he played a great first set, then cut the second set short,
said he just wasn't feeling it, apologized, and limped off the stage.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

walthers

Post by walthers »

What a depressing interview to read on a Sunday morning. Sounds like Todd is in a very dark place. That is unfortunate, I hope the best for him but by a number of things stated, it does not sound very good. Here's to hoping he can pull his head out and turn it around.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

For the first time in my life, I had the pleasure of seeing Todd Snider. He played solo acoustic with a little banjo for a good 2 hours and 40 minutes to a packed house at the Capital Theater in York, PA. Despite the fact that I'm not completely familiar with his material, I was thoroughly entertained. Heard some of his older stories which he's done on his live albums, but he added a few new good stories including his love of Jam bands and the formation of Hard Working Americans. But I was happy to see him good spirits, as I was concerned based on the posts above. Last night he covered "I Wanna Rock n Roll All Night" by Kiss, and, as far as I could see, he was trying to achieve that goal.

Only negative, this drunk girl with about 40 earings in her bottom lip (call me square) sitting right behind us fell asleep and was snoring throughout all of Todd's 2 hour and 40 minute set. You'd be surprised how annoyning someone's snoring can be during an acoustic show, but in the spirit of Todd Snider, I lived and let lived, until the last song when she woke-up and wouldn't stop talking to her idiot boy friend, I kind of snapped, but I only caused a minor scene, no big deal.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

jr29 wrote:Todd's recent setlists look fantastic. I am kicking around the idea of seeing him in St. Louis in a couple months and hoping he pl
ays a Memphis show sometime this summer. I do believe the last one he played here drew 4 or 5 thousand people to the Levitt Shell.
I asked and I received...Todd will play the Levitt Shell in July. Should be big.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

He just had to cancel his two shows in New York per doctors orders because his voice has gone to shit. He shouldn't be playing 2 and a half hour acoustic sets. Having said that, I'm glad I saw one.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

walthers wrote:What a depressing interview to read on a Sunday morning. Sounds like Todd is in a very dark place. That is unfortunate, I hope the best for him but by a number of things stated, it does not sound very good. Here's to hoping he can pull his head out and turn it around.
I agree--when he does show up, the set lists have been incredible..if he makes it through the set. He just announced a 3 date Cheatham Street Warehouse run in TX today.

I hope he scales back to just pot again.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Todd live from the Vogue Theater in Indianapolis, IN on Yahoo starting in a few minutes

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/todd-snider

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

via a friend on Facebook:
toddsnider.com wrote:ATTN : BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FROM AIMLESS, INC. HQ :

For immediate release from Nashville, TN - February 1, 2016

Todd Snider has been on the road performing pretty much his entire adult life, part Jack Kerouac and part John Prine along with some Mitch Hedburg sprinkled in to keep things from getting too serious. Throughout his career Snider has been a real gypsy songman right in the vein of his long-time mentor and friend, Jerry Jeff Walker. As the years have piled up the physical toll has done its' damage to the critically acclaimed singer/songwriter (who has also been out touring with new rock outfit Hard Working Americans over the last couple of years).

Traveling and performing 100 plus shows per year for over twenty years is not for the faint of heart and not many can do it or have lasted that long, especially when performing solo and having the weight of the entire performance rest squarely on your own shoulders. By the end of 2015 Snider's shoulders and back were all but broken and he thought he may have to hang it up. Battling physical ailments like degenerative arthritis and chronic lower back problems were proving to be too difficult for Snider to put on the kind of show he and his fans expect. To battle the physical ailments, pain pills seemed to be the only way to manage it to keep earning his way of living on the road, but you can only ride that horse so far before it catches up with you. On top of that, Snider had also been going through a divorce over the last couple of years which only compounded the physical and mental stress he was up against.

Luckily after lots of research and some time off, Snider has found alternative ways to manage his physical well being and he is also healing from the tumultuous times one faces when dealing with divorce. He is working on getting himself back into physical and mental shape to go out and attack this wonderful world he has created over the last twenty plus years. He will be performing a handful of solo residencies (2-3 night stands) at some select locations this year starting with a 3 night run in his hometown of Portland, OR on April 28-30 at the Aladdin Theater where he will draw songs from each of his albums on each of the 3 nights (4 albums per night).

Snider is also readying a brand new live album and DVD concert film along with a new studio release. That all comes along with the new Hard Working Americans' sophomore album 'Rest In Chaos' that is readied for a May 2016 release and will feature 13 brand new original songs. HWA will also be out playing some dates this year.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's too bad that wine and weed weren't doing it to manage the physical pain. Pain meds have always been Todd's demon. Good to see him back in shape and hitting the road. Looking forward to that new HWA.

I would imagine that his divorce (and nailing Elizabeth Cook) will give him a wealth of new material.

"Always live your life in a situation where you can pack up everything you own in 15 minutes and move. If you do that, you'll get better at writing songs" (brutally paraphrased) Aaron Allen to Todd Snider

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. I believe it's one of the most personal and honest songs I've heard in long time.

It's off the new HWA record, but the band version has nothing on Todd playing it solo on acoustic.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^
Thanks, Smitty!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley