3DD artist of the week - 5/10/2010 - Todd Snider

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: 3DD artist of the week - 5/10/2010 - Todd Snider

Post by Smitty »

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzyzm1djmza

TODD SNIDER
10/11/97 - Elliston Place -
Nashville, TN
- Elliston Place -

SOURCE: SBD

DISC 1
1. Easy Money
2. Trouble
3. Hey Hey
4. Hard Enough
5. [crowd sings Happy Birthday to Todd]
6. I Shall Be Free, No. 10 [Bob Dylan] > Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues
7. Hey Hey My My [Neil Young]
8. Once He Finds Us
9. My Generation, Part 2
10. Late Last Night

DISC 2
1. Late Last Night (end)
2. I Believe You
3. Alright Guy
4. That's Alright Mama [Beatles]
5. Alright Guy
6. Walk on the Wild Side [Lou Reed]
7. [banter]
8. Great Balls of Fire [Jerry Lee Lewis]

Encore:
9. [crowd]
10. Amarillo By Morning (George Strait)
11. Street Fighting Man (Rolling Stones)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://www.mediafire.com/?3cilfyyj2mz (part one)
http://www.mediafire.com/?yoz5lyjnlzw (part two)

Todd Snider
4/19/98
Gunnerz -
Iowa City, Iowa

CD1:
A Lot More
Yesterdays and Used to Be's
Hey Hey
Rocket Fuel
Trouble
Once He Finds Us
Better Than Ever Blues, Part 2
Tension
Can't Complain
My Generation, Part 2
I Am Too
Jesus Was a Capricorn [Kris Kristofferson] > I Believe You
Godsend
This Land is Our Land

CD2:
I Need a Miracle [Grateful Dead]!!!
Alright Guy
Late Last Night
Gloryland

Encore:
Call Me the Breeze [J.J. Cale]
Gimme Three Steps
T For Texas
Take Me to the Bank

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

part one: http://www.mediafire.com/?r12mwldhzps
part two: http://www.mediafire.com/?cimywxnhq76

oldest Todd show I know of; from the Daily Planet, December 12, 1992

The Daily Planet
Memphis, TN

[Snail joke]
Talkin' Tennis Shoes Blues
Hey Texas
So Much Time
Raleigh Hills
[Alright Guy intro]
Alright Guy
She Just Left Me Lounge
Reasons the World Goes Round *
Heavy Metal Has-Been
Save a Place for Me
Thinkin' Too Much
You Think You Know Somebody
If I Could [Tim Carroll / Keith Sykes]
[Arrested with Trog story] > Hays County Jailhouse Blues * >
[Highland Street story]
It's the End of the World as We Know It [R.E.M.] >
My Generation, Part 2 >
Jeremy [Pearl Jam]
This Land is Our Land
Late Last Night
If I Had It My Way
Somebody's Coming
Better Than Ever Blues, Part 1
Passing Through [Mark Marchetti]
Keep Off the Grass
Use a Little Rain
Pissin' in the Wind [Jerry Jeff Walker] > Great Day Coming >
That's Alright Mama [Elvis Presley] > Bad News [John Loudermilk] >
Great Day Coming > Amazing Grace > [Slave ship story] > Amazing Grace

maybe I should bring back the demos/outtakes/bootlegs thread

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Smitty wrote:http://sharebee.com/5dea1a7c
I BTBed

THANKS!

PeterJ wrote:
I googled it and found it. ;)

AJaX

Post by AJaX »

BEST THREAD

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Snapped this pic of Todd at the Sierra Nevada Big Room.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Snider ditches show at PK’s
StoryDiscussionSnider ditches show at PK’s
BY TOM BARKER THE SOUTHERN thesouthern.com | Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:00 am | (5) Comments

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.
Todd Snider (Courtesy) .
..CARBONDALE - A local bar played host to a popular folk singer this weekend, but the star lost some of his Southern Illinois fan base when he ditched the concert half way through the show.

Todd Snider, alternative country singer and songwriter, played two shows at PK's in Carbondale this weekend, but reportedly left the establishment about 50 minutes into his contracted 90-minute show Monday evening, disappointing bar managers and some 150 fans who paid for tickets.

Ely Lane, manager at PK's, said there were no problems during Snider's Sunday night show, but the singer "felt disturbed by the atmosphere" during Monday's event, leaving the bar at the concert's midpoint.

"We believed he was taking a set break, and he literally scurried on off to his vehicle; he just ran out down the alley," Lane said. "It hurt a lot of people's feelings that he would act like that, and I know he upset and lost a lot of fans last night."

Lane said he was working with Snider's record label to get full refunds for everyone who purchased tickets to the show, but he didn't quite understand why Snider was upset to the point that he would leave.

There was a report that Snider felt a woman in the crowd was too close to him during the performance, he said, and fans repeatedly asked him to "Tell a story," which he refused.

"We're sorry Mr. Snider can't handle PK's," Lane said.

Curtis Conley, promoter for PK's, said he was in contact with Snider's management Tuesday and that managers were being very good to him given the circumstances.

"It just wasn't working for him," Conley said. "It came completely out of left field."

PK's is likely the smallest venue Snider has played in years, Conley said, and the singer seemed anti-social during his visit.

Steve Hoiberg, one of Snider's managers, said he preferred not to comment on the situation Tuesday.

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/artic ... 03286.html

very unlike Snider - hope everything's goin OK with him

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Looks like he is turning into Ryan Adams.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

There is a DB Cooper doc on History channel tonight. Got the TiVo set.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Todd doing Jimmy Buffett's "West Nashville Ballroom Gown". Now, there's a Buffett tune for people that think all there is to him are novelty songs.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Love Todd. Hope to see him live this year.

Smitty, I went to DL that copy of Countryfried and the link was trying to make me take a survey. He's a clip of him rocking "I Like Country When it Rocks" at my old stomping grounds, People's (RIP) in Ames, IA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdCN3PiEGVM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:Love Todd. Hope to see him live this year.

Smitty, I went to DL that copy of Countryfried and the link was trying to make me take a survey. He's a clip of him rocking "I Like Country When it Rocks" at my old stomping grounds, People's (RIP) in Ames, IA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdCN3PiEGVM

there should've been a link at the top of the page to skip that ad -
just go here
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5Z9T8JIL

Kudzu Guillotine

From NoDepression.com:

Todd Snider's "The Storyteller": a review, an interview and a new genre defined

Todd Snider's Live: The Storyteller (Aimless Records 2/1/11) delivers a double disc dose of folk music that matters. Todd has the rare ability to share a story in a song with both a liberal twist and a touch of humor. He disarms the audience with his self-deprecating "Eighteen Minutes Speech" when he declares: "I might share some of my opinions with you over the course of the evening, I'm not gonna share them with you because I think they’re smart or because I think you need to know them. I'm gonna share them with you because they rhyme. I did not come down here to change your mind about anything. I came down here to ease my own mind about everything."

And with that qualifier how can you really be offended when Todd sings "Conservative Christian, Right-Wing Republican, Straight, White, American Males" or offers his opinion in "Tension" that "Gay people getting married. That's what scares people that don't have shit all else to be scared of these days"? "The Ballad of the Kingsmen" eases his mind with his take on the perceived evils of rock and roll from "Louie Louie" to the present day when "the next time some some latch key kid goes wrong it ain't because of some words to some rock and roll song".

The read the rest of the review as well as an interview with Todd, click here.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Been listening to a ton of Todd lately. How is this new live album different from all the other ones out there? I still will get it, just wondering.

I have a chance to see him in a couple of weeks but the ticket is not in the budget at this time. Plus it's on a Tuesday night which would require me to take the next day off. He is near the top of my must see list.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

lajakesdad wrote:Been listening to a ton of Todd lately. How is this new live album different from all the other ones out there? I still will get it, just wondering.

I have a chance to see him in a couple of weeks but the ticket is not in the budget at this time. Plus it's on a Tuesday night which would require me to take the next day off. He is near the top of my must see list.

I ain't made it to the record store & it never leaked, so I have no idea

Kudzu Guillotine

lajakesdad wrote:Been listening to a ton of Todd lately. How is this new live album different from all the other ones out there? I still will get it, just wondering.

To my knowledge he only has one other live album, Near Truths and Hotel Rooms. As for a review of his new one, I posted one from No Depression's website in this thread.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

To my knowledge he only has one other live album, Near Truths and Hotel Rooms. As for a review of his new one, I posted one from No Depression's website in this thread.

There's a couple live EP's (The Devil You Know Live at Grimey's and another I can't think of the name of)
I think lajakes was referring to the so widely-known-it-might-as-well-be-official-bootleg "Tales from Moondawgs", which I assume "The Storyteller" is a condensed version of.
It also features Snider being backed by Great American Taxi.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

There's a couple live EP's (The Devil You Know Live at Grimey's and another I can't think of the name of)
I think lajakes was referring to the so widely-known-it-might-as-well-be-official-bootleg "Tales from Moondawgs", which I assume "The Storyteller" is a condensed version of.
It also features Snider being backed by Great American Taxi.

As I've said before, I don't really have anything against them but I've never been too much into seeking out bootlegs, leaks, etc. so something like Tales from Moondawgs would most likely slip under my radar. I have the The Devil You Know bonus disc but I think it's a radio appearance where he did an interview and played a few songs.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Even if you're not into bootlegs, the 5 disc Tales From Moondawgs is one of the greatest things since sliced bread.
this is the disc I was talking about

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I saw Todd last night in Petaluma. I was wearing a DBT shirt and the merchandise guy for Todd noticed it so we started taking all things DBT. I mentioned how much I liked the Patterson and Todd bootleg from years back. He told me that Patterson and Todd are planning on another few shows late this year. Nashville and ATL are on the radar for these.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:I saw Todd last night in Petaluma. I was wearing a DBT shirt and the merchandise guy for Todd noticed it so we started taking all things DBT. I mentioned how much I liked the Patterson and Todd bootleg from years back. He told me that Patterson and Todd are planning on another few shows late this year. Nashville and ATL are on the radar for these.

:ugeek: :o :D

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Todd Snider @ The Mystic Theater
Petaluma, CA
02-20-2011

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

He's playing in Sacramento in a couple of days.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Just finishing watching these clips from Rolling Stone and am still laughing my ass off, particularly at some things he said during the interview on the subject of song thievery.

"The Devil You Know"

"Tension"***

"Greencastle Blues"

"Todd Snider on Getting Even With A Plagiarist"

*** Not sure what's up with the editing in this one but someone sure did a shitty job

Kudzu Guillotine

There were many highlights at Todd's show at the Clayton Center (in Clayton, NC) over the weekend and this was one of 'em. I even got choked up a time or two, especially when he sang, "hail hail rock n' roll".

Kudzu Guillotine

Kevn Kinney is the guest editor at Magnet magazine this week. In previous entries he's sung the praises of the likes of Peter Buck. In this one it's Todd Snider.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Nice profile on Todd Snider by Robert Christgau. http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Rock-Roll/Preaching-Agnosticism-with-Laugh-Lines/ba-p/7685

Usually Manahattan's Irving Plaza is a stand-up venue, but the folding chairs were out March 8 for fans of East Nashville singer-songwriter Todd Snider. These were predominantly but not overwhelmingly male, guys who could easily populate a bar scene in My Name Is Earl and look to average a few years younger than the 45-year-old they always come out to see. After two decades of performing mostly solo, Snider is touring with the same terrific band that gives his Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables extra bite and body. Three of his first five selections were from that album, which had been out all of three days. Every one of the five was about class struggle.

Not that those fortysomethings were seeking political enlightenment. Snider makes a living on the road primarily because he's the finest natural comedian in music today. His foundational hits are a grunge joke he's left behind, the fortysomething apologia "Alright Guy," and the one most newbies notice, "Beer Run," the saga of two underage frat boys looking to get drunk at a Robert Earl Keen concert. But the songs that began the show, while still funny, were considerably less jovial. "In the Beginning" traces the roots of theism to a foiled Paleolithic attempt to revolt against the first rich guy. "Too Soon to Tell" ponders the eternal prospects of a recently fired screw-up who has more immediate concerns: "They say living well is the best revenge / I say bullshit, the best revenge is revenge." In "The Devil You Know," Snider gives his car keys to a young black bank robber fleeing the police and holds the money for him. "Precious Little Miracles" is a tongue-in-cheek attack on teenagers who wear their pants too low, kill for thrills, and won't pick up garbage in the park. And in "Lookin' for a Job," a drywall-hanging ex-con warns his boss to show some respect: "Broke won't take much getting used to / Neither will a barbwire jailhouse wall / Watch what you say to someone with nothing / It's almost like having it all."

Snider grew up in Oregon, took up the harmonica, and drifted to Austin after college. There he was inspired by the folksinger Jerry Jeff Walker to learn guitar and embark on a career whose beginnings he recounts with more hilarity than reliability on his 2003 live album Near Truths and Hotel Rooms. An anxiety-prone insomniac with a deep fondness for marijuana and red wine, he has whole routines mocking his prowess on the guitar. But he always wrote with the kind of colloquial simplicity that seems so off-the-cuff and isn't, always charmed with a live-and-let-live drawl he wasn't born to, and always attracted supporters more together and famous than he is. Fellow artists you can understand -- his first label was Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, his second John Prine's Oh Boy. But that Cokie Roberts should write this barefoot stoner's press bio or Rahm Emanuel hip him to the Goldman Sachs Abacus Fund, whose name he names in "New York Banker," suggests he could get larger.

Snider's career split down the middle circa 2003. The airplay-targeted production of his early recordings undersold the personality that made him worth signing, so that the five songs his first live album shares with the retrospective That Was Then: 1994-1998 aren't just looser and rowdier, but markedly more emphatic. And although the homespun whimsy of Oh Boy's recording philosophy was a better fit for him, those songs sharpened live as well. Then too, Snider's writing kept improving in general, at least in part because sometime around 2003 he picked up an Oxycontin addiction that put him in rehab before it killed him like it did his friend and road manager Skip Litz, who extracted a deathbed promise from Snider that he'd kick. A turning point, you might say.

Lo and behold, in 2004 appeared East Nashville Skyline, easily his finest studio album till then and rapidly followed by many others. Snider continues unabstemious. Even coming off opioids, one of the few things he's ever moralized about, he made no bones about hoping he could go back to reefer and wine, and in 2009 he told The Onion's Steven Hyden: "I'm not a big integrity freak. If there's ever a drug that makes me feel like I'm going to come up with a new kind of song, I'm taking that drug." It's not very 12-step of me, and I truly hope it doesn't explode in Snider's face, but I find this devil-may-care attitude heartening, and so far it's worked. Since 2004 Snider has topped the excellent East Nashville Skyline with the extraordinary 2006 The Devil You Know and 2012 Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables and the superb live 2011 The Storyteller, as well as adding the merely notable 2008 EP Peace Queer and 2009 album The Excitement Plan. Few 21st-century artists of any drug profile have been so fecund.

All three of those studio albums were top 10s for me, but as a skeptic regarding both the utility of re-recorded material and the durability of comedy routines, I'm surprised to find that in practice I enjoy The Storyteller every bit as much. Snider's spoken shtick always enriches his songs, sometimes decisively, and once in a while tops them. But more important is that his mongrel, stage-ready, Oregon-Texas-Tennessee-roaddog delivery deserves the honorific "flow" as much as most rappers'. The timing and syntactical choices of his stories -- which he parcels out carefully so as not to repeat himself in the same city -- reimagine the offhand so shrewdly that I admire as well as enjoy them every time out.

A prototypical example is the 1:09-long "Eighteen Minutes Speech" on The Storyteller, also available as the 0:48-long "Hello . . . Sorry" on Near Truths. That's because Snider delivers this speech whenever he performs. He's up over a thousand by now; his fans count on it, cheer it wildly, recite along: "My name's Todd Snider, I've been drivin around this country m-more than 15 years, I make these songs up and I sing em for anybody that'll listen to em, summum are sad, summum are funny, some are short, some will seem like they go on forever, sometimes I may ramble on for as many as 18 minutes in between a particular song." The words do shift slightly night to night, but the ungrammatical, uniquely idiomatic "in between a particular song" was the same at Irving Plaza as on both live albums. He knows what he's doing.

Before I go into the addendum the speech has picked up, let me explain how Snider got interested in class struggle. The Jerry Jeff Walker tradition is generally slotted "outlaw country," but its theme song is Billy Joe Shaver's "Old Five and Dimers Like Me" -- the marginal folk it romanticizes are colorful drunks and lost ramblers, not stick-up men or meth dealers, and too often its romanticism slops over into squishy myth and stinky sentimentality. Nevertheless, this kind of antihero worship has a substantial history in American culture -- consider such titles as Bob Dylan's "Only a Hobo," Al Jolson's Hallelujah I'm a Bum, Jack Kerouac's On the Road, Leonard Cohen's Beautiful Losers, Woody Guthrie's "Gypsy Davy," Cher's "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves" -- and Snider is part of that tradition. He can be squishy occasionally -- right on top of Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables he released a 70th-birthday tribute to Walker called Time as We Know It that pretty much qualifies. But a lifetime of hanging with slackers and stoners down on their "luck" -- and to a certain extent being one, while also hitting the typewriter on the regular and enjoying a durable marriage with his painter wife Melita -- seems to have set him thinking. George W. Bush did too. And starting with The Devil You Know, he began to draw conclusions in song.

The masterstroke targeted GWB himself. "You Got Away With It" recalls an unnamed bigshot as the connected fratboy he was in the voice of a college buddy who's got his back: "Aside from that one hippie / We never really hurt anyone / Well, there's that other thing that I won't even say / As God is my witness, I'll take that to my grave /' Cause that was an accident, and you did what you had to do." Beyond the drywall and bank-robbing songs, the rest of the album is less overt, though the lowlife romance "Just Like Old Times" has a story to tell and the deluded recidivism of "The Highland Street Incident" follows "You Got Away With It" with malice aforethought. But a couplet from the bank-robbing song resonates throughout: "There's a war going on that the poor can't win / Helicopters over the house again."

You might not think that's perfect politics -- assuming defeat seldom is. But five years into a financial crisis Snider didn't need to predict because he saw the bigger economic picture going in, it's still a relief to hear a song put it so baldly. Peace Queer and The Excitement Plan were both slighter than The Devil You Know, although the former dwelled on injustice and the latter included one called "Bring 'Em Home." But Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables is strong start to finish, and with a fresh musical texture -- on the one hand the keyboard-violin-bass-drums band embellishes songs that might be perilously simplistic on their own, but on the other the band is so raggedy-ass it makes the whole album seem tossed off, as Snider clearly prefers.

The title sums up Snider's philosophical orientation: stoner agnosticism. But class pervades the record. In addition to the three new ones that led his show, there are the Abacus Fund song, two lowlife vignettes including a gem unearthed from Jimmy Buffett's 1973 breakthrough album, one that begins "If I had a nickel for every dime you had / I'd have half your money" and then thinks about taking his wallet. There's a sympathetic, economically insightful depiction of a power couple who turn out to be Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. And there's the band-carried closer "Big Finish," which ruminates on Snider's personal insecurities while delivering the album's key line: "You got to admit it ain't the despair that gets you / It's the hope."

Yet for all Snider's burgeoning class consciousness, that new addendum to his speech goes like this: "I want to let you know that I also might share some of my opinions with you over the course of the evenin. I'm not gonna share them with you cause I think they're smart or b'cause I think you need to know em, I'm gonna share em with you because they rhyme. I didn't come down here to change any of y'all's mind about anything, I come down here to ease my own mind about everything. If everything goes particularly well this evening we can all expect a 90-minute distraction from our impending doom."

Snider likes to say he's an "evangelical agnostic." Brought up Catholic, he's religious about his irreligion. The main concern of "Too Soon to Tell" is God's cruelty, if there is a God: "It seems like even the wicked get worse than they deserve." Snider has such respect for the dead-end lives he chronicles, such sensitivity to the impending doom all humans share -- and is so aware, as he says on Near Truths, that although he's mainly afraid of Republicans, Democrats scare him too -- that he refuses to preach. Although not many American musicians make more of class even today, he won't politicize any further. Cynics might just figure he's coddling the Robert Earl Keen fans, and that must enter his mind -- how could it not? But I figure the real issue is the perils of hope.

If Snider has musical comedy competition, it's Jon Langford of the Mekons, the Waco Brothers, et al., a not especially ex-Marxist who's been harping on rich-versus-poor since Snider was in fifth grade and ad-libbing sardonically for exactly as long. Langford's more militant and cerebral, but he's not long on professions of hope either. For both these artists, hope is too squishy -- a by-product of soft-headedness that'll let you down in the end. Laughter makes you happy with fewer compromises and complications. In a world where the big war hasn't gone our way for decades now, it's something to rely on.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It doesn't get any better than Todd Snider.