The Brent Best Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zoody

The Brent Best Thread

Post by Zoody »

I don't know how many of you sent Brent Best $10 via Paypal around this time last year to help finance the recording of his first solo album. If you did and have received any updates since then, do you mind sharing them? The latest news about this on the Slobberbone site is from last August. I'm not trying to be a bitch here but I sent the $10 in good faith and I've emailed him and the administrator at slobberbone.com and haven't received any response. Does anyone know anything about it? Did he complete it and send the CDs out already but miss my name on the list? Did he shitcan the whole idea and just keep the money? I doubt it as he doesn't seem like that kind of guy but any info would be appreciated.

Mike

Smitty

Re: Anyone else kinda pissed at Brent Best?

Post by Smitty »

I'm sure it'll all turn out fine. He didn't forget about ya
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Here is an update from another board I frequent (altcountrytab.ca)

From their [slobberbone's] facebook:

Brian here, in response to your queries about Brent's solo record: at the last practice we had, he said he'd been recording some bands and hadn't had the opportunity to get to it. When he's finished with those obligations, he'll start on the record. He was very moved by the reponse and support he got. It'll get done. Eventually.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

No.
Keep calm and have a cigar

roland

Post by roland »

I'm more pissed about the lack of East coast Slobberbone shows than about the $25 my wife I & sent. He's all over the place. He'll get to it. In the meantime, how about throwin' out an Asheville or Atlanta show?

zoid

Post by zoid »

I had forgotten about this. I sent $10 last year as well.... Hopefully he will get to it soon.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Was waiting for somone else to bring this up ;) Not pissed at all, but I am a little curious...
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

the dude could pass for being homeless and wrote the lyric "I'm a lazy guy." not saying he won't follow through but i'm not all that surprised the album isn't completed yet.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Sub

Post by Sub »

I'm sure it will happen, procrastination can be a bitch.

I'd bet on it being worth the wait though.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I sent the money too. Was just wondering how long ago that was. But you can't rush songwriting. I'm sure it will be cool. Hope he didn't spend the cash. :|

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

I am not pissed at Brent Best.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

His last facebook status is kinda depressing

Saturday was horrible. I can't do this tour thing. No more music. I'm movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches

Sub

Post by Sub »

Whats his fb page link?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

May 1, 2011 (3:00am)
I write you tonight beside the television, a big, big, big, bottle of cheap wine beside me, and an ice pack on my nether region. The matter of which I am writing has been bestowed on me with great importance. In addition Mister Brent has been found unavailable, as he is devilishly trying to deliver his first solo recording event to his investors (we hope).

So it goes to me, your faithful, yet humble drumber to deliver this message to you. If you have been at our website, slobberbone.com, you no doubt know of our pending mini-tour of the Midwest and upper Mid-west states. If by chance you have been parleyed this message via electronic mail you have good friends and still need to visit slobberbone.com.

As I know very few of you can handle the impending news much longer, perhaps thinking of moving on to a site which features scantily clad or clad-less ladies (or men) partaking in lewd sexual acts, I give you this message:

The proceeds of afore-mentioned mini-tour, as well as the merchandise sales will go to the funding of the next full-length recording. So we would appreciate your attendance at these shows. Then we will attempt to make an album that will make you say, "Dang!" How proud you will be upon listening to its perhaps majestic (or not) songs and say, "I helped make this!" We feel that we can move in this new direction with your love and support. And Booze.

For in all things, Love and Hearts and Booze prevail.

Come and join us,

Tony the Drumber

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Doing my part on Thursday. It's been too long anyway and if this helps them fund a new record then it's even better.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ford911

Post by ford911 »

So now we're over three years later and a long time without an update. I'm annoyed now. Going to see Slobberbone next weekend so I'm gonna ask if I get a chance.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ford911 wrote:So now we're over three years later and a long time without an update. I'm annoyed now. Going to see Slobberbone next weekend so I'm gonna ask if I get a chance.

All I know was he did work on the project and lost the recordings. I don't think asking him is out of line. He really is a good guy.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
ford911 wrote:So now we're over three years later and a long time without an update. I'm annoyed now. Going to see Slobberbone next weekend so I'm gonna ask if I get a chance.

All I know was he did work on the project and lost the recordings. I don't think asking him is out of line. He really is a good guy.

How the F does one lose recordings? Read an interview in which Jason Molina referenced a full length project recorded with Low (I think). In the can, ready to mix down and the masters went missing. How the hell does that happen?
Beebs is not a ragey man

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

A lot of times they're not physically "lost" but are withheld by the studio for lack of payment.

Noodle

Post by Noodle »

What's going on here?!?? Is Brent ripping people off?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Noodle wrote:What's going on here?!?? Is Brent ripping people off?

Intentionally, no. In effect maybe. Brent's a good guy, he'll make it right eventually.

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

As I recall, he had a record done, that he was not happy with, so he ditched it. Then, he had one near complete, and his computer fried. No updates since

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Three years? Who does he think he is, Kevin Shields?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

tinnitus photography wrote:Three years? Who does he think he is, Kevin Shields?

Ouch!
Keep calm and have a cigar

Noodle

Post by Noodle »

Hope he has the common decency to call it "Chinese Democracy" if it comes out.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Noodle wrote:Hope he has the common decency to call it "Chinese Democracy" if it comes out.

It's coming out on Last Chance sometime this year.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Now it looks like this summer. He's playing some SXSW shows this week. This better be the best solo rekkid evah!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ford911 wrote:Now it looks like this summer. He's playing some SXSW shows this week. This better be the best solo rekkid evah!
Ha! Don't put that kind of pressure on ol' Brent. Hung out with him some on Sunday followed by a great Slobberbone show. Whenever he puts something out I'm pretty certain it will make me happy.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Any idea on what the short or long term plan is for SB? They don't play a lot of shows and when they do they barely announce them. We heard about a new album quite a while ago but nothing on the horizon. I was so pumped when they got back together but I've only seen them twice since.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ford911 wrote:Any idea on what the short or long term plan is for SB? They don't play a lot of shows and when they do they barely announce them. We heard about a new album quite a while ago but nothing on the horizon. I was so pumped when they got back together but I've only seen them twice since.
i don't know. They decided to carry on when Jess left and I know there is talk of an album but I don't know when. They toured the Netherlands last fall with Micah Schnabel sitting in (they hadn't replaced Jess yet) but with jobs and responsibilities I think touring is limited and rare. I do know they're playing Dan's Silverleaf in May but not sure on the date yet.