Artist of the Week 04/18/11 - Neil Young

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Artist of the Week 04/18/11 - Neil Young

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:dark horse pick - "Danger Bird"
Could stay with the same album for another dark horse pick - "Barstool Blues"
that's a good one. i've seen Yo La Tengo do that song.

not sure if there are even 25 songs but i would be happy just picking songs from Time Fades Away, Tonight's The Night, Zuma and On The Beach.

edit - there are 34.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Volume II of the Archives now streaming over on Neil Young Archives. Also available for pre-order.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Volume II is very high on my "to purchase" list.

cortez the killer

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:41 am
You can stream it in its entirety on his archives website. I believe you can purchase either a monthly subscription ($1.99) or an annual one ($19.99).
- DPM

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:14 am
Flying Rabbit wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:41 am
You can stream it in its entirety on his archives website. I believe you can purchase either a monthly subscription ($1.99) or an annual one ($19.99).
Yeah, I saw that. I think by purchasing it, you get a 1 year sub to the site as well.

I've read some reviews and they all seem very positive, and in fact feel that some of the sequencing changes/edits make the albums like Zuma and On the Beach even stronger. I was already a fan of the Ditch Years, so anything added to make it better -- I'm all about it.

edit: whoops forgot the no links to articles policy. Stephen Thomas Erlewine (all music, etc) wrote a fantastic review that you can google up.

cortez the killer

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:01 pm
I've read some reviews and they all seem very positive, and in fact feel that some of the sequencing changes/edits make the albums like Zuma and On the Beach even stronger. I was already a fan of the Ditch Years, so anything added to make it better -- I'm all about it.
The Dune album is a beefed up Zuma. I mean, you add a killer electric, studio version of "Ride My Lllama", a stretched out "Powderfinger" and the definitive version of "Pocahontas" to that classic album and you have perfection. That disc also contains the original version of "Too Far Gone" which would later appear re-recorded on Freedom, as well as electrified versions of "Kansas", which appeared on Homegrown in acoustic form, and "Hawaii". It also contains the unreleased gem, "Born to Run." That disc alone is an embarrassment or riches.
Disc 8 – Dume (1975)

"Ride My Llama" (3:44) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Neil Young – guitar, hand claps, vocal; Frank “Poncho” Sampedro – guitar, hand claps; Billy Talbot – bass, hand claps, vocal; Ralph Molina –
drums, hand claps, vocal
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 5/22/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Cortez the Killer" – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Neil Young – guitar, vocal; Frank “Poncho” Sampedro – guitar; Billy Talbot – bass, vocal; Ralph Molina – drums, vocal
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 5/22/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Don’t Cry No Tears" (2:37) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Neil Young – guitar, vocal; Frank “Poncho” Sampedro – guitar; Billy Talbot – bass, vocal; Ralph Molina – drums, vocal
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/1/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Born to Run" (3:19) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased song from Zuma sessions
Neil Young – guitar, vocal; Frank “Poncho” Sampedro – guitar; Billy Talbot – bass; Ralph Molina – drums
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/3/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Barstool Blues" (3:02) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/3/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Danger Bird" (6:55) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
"Stupid Girl" (3:11) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/8/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Kansas" (3:35) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Neil Young – guitar, vocal; Frank “Poncho” Sampedro – guitar; Billy Talbot – bass; Ralph Molina – drums
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/12/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Powderfinger" (7:15) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/12/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Hawaii" (4:26) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/18/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young
"Drive Back" (3:34) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Neil Young – guitar, vocal; Frank “Poncho” Sampedro – guitar; Billy Talbot – bass, vocal; Ralph Molina – Drums, vocal
Recorded at House, Point Dume, CA, 6/22/1975. Produced by David Briggs & Neil Young.
"Lookin’ for a Love" (3:19) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Recorded at Studio, Broken Arrow Ranch, 8/29/1975. Produced by Neil Young & Tim Mulligan.
"Pardon My Heart" (3:50) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – from the album Zuma
Neil Young – guitar, piano, vocal; Tim Drummond – bass; Billy Talbot – vocal; Ralph Molina – vocal
Recorded at Studio, Broken Arrow Ranch, 6/16/1974, and 8/29/1975. Produced by Neil Young & Tim Mulligan.
"Too Far Gone" (2:42) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Neil Young – guitar, vocal; Frank "Poncho" Sampedro – mandolin
Recorded at Studio, Broken Arrow Ranch, 9/5/1975. Produced by Neil Young & Tim Mulligan.
"Pocahontas" (3:31) – Neil Young and Crazy Horse – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Recorded at Studio, Broken Arrow Ranch, 9/6/1975. Produced by Neil Young & Tim Mulligan.
"No One Seems to Know" (2:28) – previously unreleased version from Zuma sessions
Neil Young – piano, vocal
Recorded at Studio, Broken Arrow Ranch, 9/11/1975. Produced by Neil Young & Tim Mulligan.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

that's funny that both he and Bruce decided to write a song called "Born To Run" in 1975

cortez the killer

One of the previously unreleased gems from the second volume of the archives.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 pm

that one is so good. i need to do more than a cursory listen through it.

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 pm

that one is so good. i need to do more than a cursory listen through it.
Serves as a good bridge between the AtGR/Harvest stuff and The Ditch Trilogy. Pretty amazing that it was kept under wraps for almost 50 years.
- DPM

cortez the killer

1. Country Home - 9:13
2. Surfer Joe And Moe The Sleaze - 5:40
3. Love To Burn - 13:54
4. Days That Used To Be - 4:56
5. Bite The Bullet - 3:58
6. Cinnamon Girl - 4:04
7. Farmer John - 6:01
8. Over And Over - 10:20
9. Dangerbird - 10:26
10. Don’t Cry No Tears - 4:22
11. Sedan Delivery - 5:44
12. Roll Another Number (For The Road) - 4:45
13. Fuckin’ Up - 5:12
14. T-Bone - 6:44
15. Homegrown - 4:46
16. Mansion On The Hill - 5:58
17. Like A Hurricane - 12:56
18. Love And Only Love - 13:16
19. Cortez The Killer - 11:24

Out 2/26/21
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

^^^^^The Horse was definitely out of the barn for that show! Too bad they edited "Cowgirl" out of the cd. Probably so they could fit it on 2 discs. It's on the dvd but that's only available in the deluxe package. Hate it when they do that!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Thoughts on Neil selling half his catalog to an investment firm ?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

jr29 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:44 pm
Thoughts on Neil selling half his catalog to an investment firm ?
Good for Neil.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Had to pull the trigger on that NYCH Box Set. Can't wait.
I've picked up a pretty decent amount of the NYA stuff over the years and I don't think I've been disappointed yet.
Unbelievably stellar & consistent series.

Longshot - but does anyone have a copy of Neil at the Landmark Theater in Richmond VA in April 2011? Or know of where I could DL?
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:24 am
I've picked up a pretty decent amount of the NYA stuff over the years and I don't think I've been disappointed yet.

Longshot - but does anyone have a copy of Neil at the Landmark Theater in Richmond VA in April 2011? Or know of where I could DL?
I’d shoot whatwouldcooleydo a message!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flea

Post by Flea »

bovine knievel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:12 pm
WarHenRecords wrote:

Where the fuck has he been?
Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Flea wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:14 pm
bovine knievel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:12 pm
WarHenRecords wrote:

Where the fuck has he been?
Witness protection program
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

A few of the songs on Rust Bucket are brand new to my ears. Never heard T-Bone before and it sounds to me like a predecessor to This Note's For You.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:06 pm
A few of the songs on Rust Bucket are brand new to my ears. Never heard T-Bone before and it sounds to me like a predecessor to This Note's For You.
worth checking out

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Clams wrote:
worth checking out

The production leaves a lot to be desired on that album, but there are several gems on it. A couple of summers ago I did a write-up/review on every Neil Young album on another message board. Here's what I had to say about Re*ac*tor.

Re-ac-tor/Neil Young & Crazy Horse (1981)

In 1978, just before the Rust Never Sleeps project, Neil met, married and had a son with Pegi (Morton) Young. That son, Ben, was born with cerebral palsy which left him spastic, quadriplegic and non-oral. During the recording of Re-ac-tor, Neil and Pegi were involved in a rigorous, eighteen-month “patterning” program in an attempt to better help Ben’s development. The intensive therapy sessions affected the Re-ac-tor recording. Someone who typically recorded only at night, Young was forced to work between the hours of two and six in the afternoon. And even when Neil was physically present, his mind was understandably elsewhere. Drummer Ralph Molina’s take on the album was short and to the point, “A turkey. A one-legged turkey.” The Re-ac-tor sessions marked the beginning of a fracture between Neil and the Horse that lasted the remainder of the decade. According to longtime producer David Briggs, “Neil didn’t encourage Crazy Horse during those years. He lost control of his personal life, and everything went along with it.” With Neil too preoccupied to promote the album, they relied on Reprise to do so. It flopped commercially and the two parties, furious with each other, parted ways after thirteen years and seventeen albums.

1. Opera Star – “You were born to rock. You’ll never be an opera star.” Short, primitive stomper to kick things off. (7)
2. Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze – Buried under the sound effects there’s a Horse song in there. Middle of the road, Crazy Horse, but Crazy Horse nonetheless. (5)
3. T-Bone – “Got mashed potatoes. Ain’t got no t-bone.” Not sure why they decided to drag this out over 9+ minutes, but they did. In an interview with Rockline radio, Young commented on the song, “It’s very repetitive, but I’m not such an inventive guy.” Neanderthal rock. (4)
4. Get Back on It – Sounds like a leftover from the Hawks and Doves L.A. sessions. “It’s too late for General Custer, too late for Robert E. Lee.” Crazy Horse providing sterile, soulless harmonizing vocals. No thanks. (2)
5. Southern Pacific – Here we go. This one has some snarl. Has remained a part of the live menu for several decades now. Certainly the most memorable track from this album. (8.5)
6. Motor City – The return of Redneck Neil. This time he’s lamenting the fact that people are buying too many foreign cars – “My new car ain’t from Japan. There’s already too many Datsuns in this town.” (3)
7. Rapid Transit – Most Rusties hate this song, but I have a soft spot for it. Neil adopts an overexagerated Daltryesque stutter. The Horse is slowed down to a more familiar gallop. (7.5)
8. Shots – Originally, this was an acoustic song written and performed live during the Rust Never Sleeps period. Briggs felt it lacked the proper spook to be included on the acoustic side of that record. Instead it resurfaces here in electric form. Briggs had recently acquired a new synthesizer called the Synclavier, which added the machine-gun and plane overdubs to the track. The classic Horse slow gallop is replaced with a synthy marching drum rhythm. (8)

Overall Score - 6
- DPM

cortez the killer

Also, the entire Archives II is now up on Spotify.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

I never knew Farmer John was a cover. I always thought it was a NY song.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Have we cussed/discussed Trans? Listened to it on my way home last night, and I still feel it is unfairly maligned. In fact, I rather like it!
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:50 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Clams wrote:
worth checking out

The production leaves a lot to be desired on that album, but there are several gems on it. A couple of summers ago I did a write-up/review on every Neil Young album on another message board. Here's what I had to say about Re*ac*tor.

Re-ac-tor/Neil Young & Crazy Horse (1981)

In 1978, just before the Rust Never Sleeps project, Neil met, married and had a son with Pegi (Morton) Young. That son, Ben, was born with cerebral palsy which left him spastic, quadriplegic and non-oral. During the recording of Re-ac-tor, Neil and Pegi were involved in a rigorous, eighteen-month “patterning” program in an attempt to better help Ben’s development. The intensive therapy sessions affected the Re-ac-tor recording. Someone who typically recorded only at night, Young was forced to work between the hours of two and six in the afternoon. And even when Neil was physically present, his mind was understandably elsewhere. Drummer Ralph Molina’s take on the album was short and to the point, “A turkey. A one-legged turkey.” The Re-ac-tor sessions marked the beginning of a fracture between Neil and the Horse that lasted the remainder of the decade. According to longtime producer David Briggs, “Neil didn’t encourage Crazy Horse during those years. He lost control of his personal life, and everything went along with it.” With Neil too preoccupied to promote the album, they relied on Reprise to do so. It flopped commercially and the two parties, furious with each other, parted ways after thirteen years and seventeen albums.

1. Opera Star – “You were born to rock. You’ll never be an opera star.” Short, primitive stomper to kick things off. (7)
2. Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze – Buried under the sound effects there’s a Horse song in there. Middle of the road, Crazy Horse, but Crazy Horse nonetheless. (5)
3. T-Bone – “Got mashed potatoes. Ain’t got no t-bone.” Not sure why they decided to drag this out over 9+ minutes, but they did. In an interview with Rockline radio, Young commented on the song, “It’s very repetitive, but I’m not such an inventive guy.” Neanderthal rock. (4)
4. Get Back on It – Sounds like a leftover from the Hawks and Doves L.A. sessions. “It’s too late for General Custer, too late for Robert E. Lee.” Crazy Horse providing sterile, soulless harmonizing vocals. No thanks. (2)
5. Southern Pacific – Here we go. This one has some snarl. Has remained a part of the live menu for several decades now. Certainly the most memorable track from this album. (8.5)
6. Motor City – The return of Redneck Neil. This time he’s lamenting the fact that people are buying too many foreign cars – “My new car ain’t from Japan. There’s already too many Datsuns in this town.” (3)
7. Rapid Transit – Most Rusties hate this song, but I have a soft spot for it. Neil adopts an overexagerated Daltryesque stutter. The Horse is slowed down to a more familiar gallop. (7.5)
8. Shots – Originally, this was an acoustic song written and performed live during the Rust Never Sleeps period. Briggs felt it lacked the proper spook to be included on the acoustic side of that record. Instead it resurfaces here in electric form. Briggs had recently acquired a new synthesizer called the Synclavier, which added the machine-gun and plane overdubs to the track. The classic Horse slow gallop is replaced with a synthy marching drum rhythm. (8)

Overall Score - 6
Neil's "6" would be a career peak for most bands.

cortez the killer

Flea wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:30 am
Have we cussed/discussed Trans? Listened to it on my way home last night, and I still feel it is unfairly maligned. In fact, I rather like it!
Bottom tier Neil for me.

Trans/Neil Young (1982)

I’m not sure Neil could’ve got off to a worse start in his new partnership with David Geffen. The original sessions for Trans began in Honolulu, Hawaii with a grab bag of musicians Neil had played with over the years. Bassist Bruce Palmer (Buffalo Springfield), drummer Ralph Molina (Crazy Horse), bongo player Joe Lala (CSN&Y tour), pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith (Stray Gators) and guitarist Nils Lofgren (ATGR & TTN) were to be The Royal Pineapples and would back Neil on his first Geffen record, Island in the Sun. Shortly after the sessions began, Geffen flew out to Hawaii to check in on his newly-signed superstar. He was underwhelmed with what he heard and urged Neil to do more with the material. Just before he hooked up with Geffen, Neil had wrapped up production on his second Shakey Pictures film, Human Highway. Much of the music in the film had been recorded by Neil using a vocoder to alter his voice and a Synclavier synthesizer to match the bizarre, otherworldly scenery. Taking Geffen’s suggestion to heart, Young decided that he would merge the music he had created for the Human Highway film with a few songs from the Hawaii sessions. Upon its release, critical reception was mixed, but it bombed commercially. Rusties were confused as to why Neil decided to record an album with two-thirds of the songs featuring a vocoder and odd synthesizers. Neil wanted Geffen to give him money to put out a video for Trans to better present the album’s concept, but he was rebuffed. Reflecting back on the project, Young had the following to say, “If you listen to all the mechanical voices, if you read the lyrics, listen to the voices, it’s clear that it’s the beginning of my search for a way for a non-oral person, a severely physically handicapped non-oral person, to find some sort of interface for communication. The computers and the heartbeat all have to come together here – where chemistry and electronics meet. That’s what I was getting at. And that was completely misunderstood.”

1. Little Thing Called Love – Catchy, breezy love song from the Hawaii sessions. Neil channeling his inner-Buffett. (6.5)
2. Computer Age – Well, this is certainly different. Aforementioned vocoder makes its first appearance in this Kraftwerk-lite sounding track. According to Poncho Sampedro, this was initially a Stonsey-sounding tune, inspired by Neil seeing Mick, Keith and company’s San Francisco concert. It bears zero resemblance to anything The Stones, or Neil for that matter, ever recorded. (5)
3. We R in Control – Much more menacing that the previous track, Neil has gone all-in with this futuristic song about some force that has taken over everything from the traffic lights to commuter flights to the FBI. Oh, to be a fly on the wall witnessing the looks on the hardcore Rusties’ faces as they hear this one for the first time. (4.5)
4. Transformer Man – Written for his son Ben, this really took on a different feeling for me on the 1993 Unplugged album. Here, it comes off as an unrelatable, cold song about some generic transformer man. The vocoder makes Neil sound like a shitty opera singer. (3)
5. Computer Cowboy – Similar vibe musically to We R in Control. “Come a ky ky yippie yi yippie yi ay…” (3.5)
6. Hold on to Your Love – Synth-heavy song that ditched the vocoder. Reminds me a bit of the weaker material on The Stills-Young Band record. (4)
7. Sample and Hold – All I can think of is the old Battlestar Galactica when I hear this. Bizarre stuff. Closer to the Kraftwerk-lite sound of Computer Age, but less tuneful. (3)
8. Mr. Soul – For some reason, Neil thought it was a good idea to take the classic Buffalo Springfield song and reimagine it as a futuristic vocoder/Synclavier production. Bad idea. (3)
9. Like an Inca – Alright, this is more like it. Neil draws inspiration from the same Mayan well his did so incredibly years ago on Zuma’s Cortez the Killer. This 9+ minute folk epic sounds like a Cortez/Hitchhiker/Thrasher/Ride My Llama hybrid. A welcome ending to such an out-of-character album. (9)

Overall score - 5
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great interview with Frank Sampedro by Stepen Duesner. They cover Sampedro replacing Danny Whitten, recording Ragged Glory and the Rust Bucket show.

https://www.stereogum.com/2120812/frank ... djYUJ3LjpU

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:11 am

According to the tracking, I should be getting my "Rust Bucket" DVD today. Maybe tomorrow if the post office gods aren't smiling on me. Apparently the shipping company uses the Mr Scott principle as they said delivery by Monday night. Under promise, over perform (Captain, the warp drive will be fixed in a week. Dammit Scotty, I need it fixed in 20 minutes! Ten minutes later: Captain, the drive is back online). Will be a nice break from NCAA marathon & good way to flip off my obnoxious neighbors. Can't wait!