Artist of the Week 04/18/11 - Neil Young

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Artist of the Week 04/18/11 - Neil Young

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Nothing controversial about that list

Nope, nothing at all
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Happy to see that Uncle Neil has announced his return to Spotify
https://neilyoungarchives.com/news/1/ar ... %20SPOTIFY

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I love that he took shots at their lack of a high res service, too. It's ridiculous. I only use it for podcasts at this point.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

my copy of Dume came in yesterday's mail. 8-)

Clams

Post by Clams »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:32 am
I love that he took shots at their lack of a high res service, too. It's ridiculous. I only use it for podcasts at this point.
True enough but with a new record and tour coming, seems to me he's back with his tail between his legs.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:09 pm
brettac1 wrote:
True enough but with a new record and tour coming, seems to me he's back with his tail between his legs.
I don't know the answer but i think we should check ticket sales for the tour before we decide Neil's terms of surrender.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:47 pm
Clams wrote:
brettac1 wrote:
I don't know the answer but i think we should check ticket sales for the tour before we decide Neil's terms of surrender.
His statement said that all the other streaming services "have started serving the same disinformation podcast I had opposed at Spotify" and "I cannot leave all those services like I did Spotify, because my music would have no streaming outlet to music lovers at all, I have returned."

So Spotify changed nothing and now everyone else is doing it too. And he's back. If ya can't beat em, join em! I'd say that's a complete surrender (or a surrender under protest if we give Uncle Neil the benefit of Cooley's doubt). Personally I don't give much of a damn, I'm just happy I can listen to Ragged Glory again without switching over to the Amazon music app.

As for his ticket sales I have no idea. But I've read that his removal from Spotify cost him $16k a month* in streaming revenue.

*It's amazing how much legacy acts like Neil can still earn from streaming while newer bands can't even scrape by.
Last edited by Clams on Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:50 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:

His statement said that because all the other streaming services "have started serving the same disinformation podcast I had opposed at Spotify" and "I cannot leave all those services like I did Spotify, because my music would have no streaming outlet to music lovers at all, I have returned."

So Spotify changed nothing and now everyone else is doing it too so he's back. If ya can't beat em, join em! I'd say that's a complete surrender (or a surrender under protest if we give Uncle Neil the benefit of Cooley's doubt). Personally I don't give much of a damn, I'm just happy I can listen to Harvest again without switching over to the Amazon music app.

As for his ticket sales I have no idea. But I've read that his removal from Spotify cost him $16k a month* in streaming revenue.

*It's amazing how much legacy acts like Neil can still earn from the streamers while newer bands can't even scrape by.
I misunderstood what actually happened. You are correct. My apologies.

Yes, it is incredible and distressing how much streaming revenues go to so few musicians, many of whom spend more on accountants than other musicians earn in a year.

tinnitus photography

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:

His statement said that all the other streaming services "have started serving the same disinformation podcast I had opposed at Spotify" and "I cannot leave all those services like I did Spotify, because my music would have no streaming outlet to music lovers at all, I have returned."

So Spotify changed nothing and now everyone else is doing it too. And he's back. If ya can't beat em, join em! I'd say that's a complete surrender (or a surrender under protest if we give Uncle Neil the benefit of Cooley's doubt).
that's not true. the reason Neil relented is that Rogan is no longer exclusive to Spotify, so Neil either had to pull back from streaming completely since Rogan is on the other major platforms now, or just allow one more streaming option, which is what he did.

Clams

Post by Clams »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:53 pm
Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

So Spotify changed nothing and now everyone else is doing it too. And he's back. If ya can't beat em, join em! I'd say that's a complete surrender (or a surrender under protest if we give Uncle Neil the benefit of Cooley's doubt).
that's not true. the reason Neil relented is that Rogan is no longer exclusive to Spotify, so Neil either had to pull back from streaming completely since Rogan is on the other major platforms now, or just allow one more streaming option, which is what he did.
Exactly. If he was truly interested in making a statement against the streaming services who give Rogan and his ilk the platforms on which they reach the public, then he would pull his music from all of them. Instead he retreated and now his music can be heard on all the apps. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the decision. But my cynical side must note for the record that he clearly caved to Spotify, the world's most popular streamer, on the eve of a huge concert tour which enables him to reach millions more of his fans which will help him to sell more tickets. And don't forget the $16k per month he's been losing in streaming revenue. Even to NY that ain't chump change. As with most things in this world, you will find the truth by following the money. Now excuse me while I go listen to Harvest on repeat. :)

tinnitus photography

well to be fair to Neil, it's one thing to do a specific boycott and quite another to do a blanket one.

i don't really care either way since i use Plexamp to stream my digital library where i can get a signal.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I love Neil and I'm glad I have easy access to all of his music again. However, I believe Neil to be an ass.
This is the same guy who wasn't singing for Pepsi or Coke. Written when he was a 40 year old who had been a millionaire for half his life.
Same guy who bitched and moaned about the speakers that we use to listen to our music and he couldn't have sounded more pompous and condescending when he did it.

cortez the killer

jr29 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:42 pm
I love Neil and I'm glad I have easy access to all of his music again. However, I believe Neil to be an ass.
This is the same guy who wasn't singing for Pepsi or Coke. Written when he was a 40 year old who had been a millionaire for half his life.
Same guy who bitched and moaned about the speakers that we use to listen to our music and he couldn't have sounded more pompous and condescending when he did it.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Agree or disagree with the rankings and/or the commentary, this is still an absolutely jaw dropping tour de force.

https://uproxx.com/indie/neil-young-best-songs-ranked/

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:43 pm
Agree or disagree with the rankings and/or the commentary, this is still an absolutely jaw dropping tour de force.

https://uproxx.com/indie/neil-young-best-songs-ranked/
Wow. Can't wait to dive into that!

PS- honey slides! Never heard that story before!