Artist of the Week 04/18/11 - Neil Young

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Artist of the Week 04/18/11 - Neil Young

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am
Great interview with Frank Sampedro by Stepen Duesner. They cover Sampedro replacing Danny Whitten, recording Ragged Glory and the Rust Bucket show.

https://www.stereogum.com/2120812/frank ... djYUJ3LjpU
Pancho has definitely been making the rounds. I've read at least 3 different interviews in the past week or so. It's good to hear from him. I can definitely empaphize with why he had to quit touring. I always thought he was Malcom Young to Neil's Angus Young. Favorite story in one of the interviews: taking the stage @ Budokan in 1975 with Crazy Horse & Linda Sue DIxon.... :D

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

My Rust Bucket DVD arrived yesterday. It's rugged which is fine for the Horse. I think it solves the "where's Cowgirl" question. During the song a warning comes up that says "NYA under construction" & the sound changes some. I'm guessing there was a problem on the soundboard tape during that song & they spliced in audio from a bootleg on the video. Still sounds good but it's a noticable difference. Overall the video quality is like a really good bootleg. Worth having for those of us who like to ride the Horse.

Flea

Post by Flea »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 am
My Rust Bucket DVD arrived yesterday. It's rugged which is fine for the Horse. I think it solves the "where's Cowgirl" question. During the song a warning comes up that says "NYA under construction" & the sound changes some. I'm guessing there was a problem on the soundboard tape during that song & they spliced in audio from a bootleg on the video. Still sounds good but it's a noticable difference. Overall the video quality is like a really good bootleg. Worth having for those of us who like to ride the Horse.
So where would one find this DVD outside of buying the deluxe vinyl box set?
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:59 am
chuckrh wrote:
It was available at the Greedy Hands Store on NYA as a preorder for a short time. I was looking at some other stuff there & noticed it is now gone. I don't know if that is permanent, might be worth checking. I'm guessing they did a limited run for the deluxe set & had some leftover. I can't do the deluxe box sets anymore, just too much money. I did hear a rumor from a friend that it is up on some torrent sites. I'm not sure which ones though.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 am
Flea wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:59 am
chuckrh wrote:
It was available at the Greedy Hands Store on NYA as a preorder for a short time. I was looking at some other stuff there & noticed it is now gone. I don't know if that is permanent, might be worth checking. I'm guessing they did a limited run for the deluxe set & had some leftover. I can't do the deluxe box sets anymore, just too much money. I did hear a rumor from a friend that it is up on some torrent sites. I'm not sure which ones though.
Flea, I’d hit up whatwouldcooleydo as he is a big NY fan and also stays current on the torrents that are out there.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

That would look rather silly if it's not tucked in. And what is the point of a t-shirt if it's tucked in? Hard pass.
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Flea wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:04 pm

That would look rather silly if it's not tucked in. And what is the point of a t-shirt if it's tucked in? Hard pass.
A mere triviality when we’re talking $55 for a t-shirt.

Fuck me in the goat ass, Neil.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

if you don't have this already and want it on vinyl, you'll probably never find a cheaper price:

(i have no idea why this link will not embed)

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Down-Rust-Bu ... 8&qid=&sr=

cortez the killer

TRACKLIST:
01 “Song Of The Seasons”
02 “Heading West”
03 “Change Ain’t Never Gonna”
04 “Canerican”
05 “Shape Of You”
06 “They Might Be Lost”
07 “Human Race”
08 “Tumblin’ Thru The Years”
09 “Welcome Back”
10 “Don’t Forget Love”

Barn is out 12/10/21 via Reprise

- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:03 pm

A silent version of Down By The River?
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:09 pm
Geez. Did you get bitten by one of your patients today? You seem even grumpier than usual. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:37 pm
Flea wrote:
Geez. Did you get bitten by one of your patients today? You seem even grumpier than usual. ;)
I actually had the day off!
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Flea wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:03 pm

Pony up for that Archives subscription, sucka!
- DPM

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:54 am
Flea wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:04 pm

A mere triviality when we’re talking $55 for a t-shirt.

Fuck me in the goat ass, Neil.
Luckily I got one years ago and I've never been a slave to fashion so fuck it I don't tuck it.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

cortez the killer

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

New 'lost' album stream on NYA.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I made the transition to Tidal around a month ago, because of this:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/arti ... stens%20to..

Other than the app being a little less stable and a little less social in terms of being able to just fire a link over to a friend, I can't say my life is any worse!

Now Streaming 8-):

All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fascinating. And as always, a joy to read and a tour de force.

cortez the killer

Greendale at 32???????????????????????????????????????????????? Living with War is his worst record?

Fuck off, Hyden!
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:56 pm
Greendale at 32????????????????????????????????????????????????
I knew you'd have a problem w/ that one. But thought you'd be pretty happy w/ the relatively high rankings (at least from my perspective) for Reactor and Trans.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:08 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:56 pm
Greendale at 32????????????????????????????????????????????????
I knew you'd have a problem w/ that one. But thought you'd be pretty happy w/ the relatively high rankings (at least from my perspective) for Reactor and Trans.
I think Re*ac*tor is decent and Trans is a bottom-third album of his. I'll have to put together my "Fuck You, Hyden" list.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Storytone/Neil Young (2014)

Storytone was Neil’s second album of 2014. In addition to recording and releasing two albums, Neil had started up Pono, written another book (Special Deluxe: A Memoir of Life & Cars), toured Europe with Crazy Horse, done a solo, acoustic American tour, divorced his wife of thirty-six years and started dating another actress, Daryl Hannah. Needless to say, 2014 was quite the year for Neil Young. Unfortunately, it was not a great year for new Neil Young studio albums. Storytone is another genre-hopping exercise for Neil Young. Having dabbled with lush, over-the-top orchestral songs in the past like Harvest’s A Man Needs a Maid and There’s a World, Neil went full in on this album. Seven of the ten songs on Storytone were recorded live at the MGM sound stage (the same place The Wizard of Oz soundtrack was recorded) backed by a 92-piece orchestra. The remaining three tracks were recorded in Hollywood at East West along Sunset Boulevard with a jazz big band. The majority of the songs on Storytone are shaped by Neil’s divorce and his blossoming romance with Hannah. Neil reflected on the album, "These songs were written during a period of profound change in my life. Everything I want to share is there." The ‘Deluxe’ version of the record included a bonus disc of Neil performing the ten tracks as sparse, solo acoustic songs.

1. Plastic Flowers – Song about the first time he met Daryl. “I was doing well, and I thought she liked my style. I had no business thinking like that, but it lasted quite a while.” (2)
2. Who’s Gonna Stand Up? – From a song about meeting your new love for the first time, to a pro-environment, anti-oil protest song. Neil first debuted this song while he was on tour with Crazy Horse earlier that year. Now we have it as an excessive, string-soaked clunker, complete with a choir. (1)
3. I Want to Drive My Car – The orchestra is ditched and we get a full band. This sounds like a This Note’s for You/Fork in the Road hybrid. (3)
4. Glimmer – Back to cheesy-sounding, film-score-wannabe Neil. Here he is inspired by seeing the glimmer of the headlights from the oncoming cars. “And there’s a glimmer of everything good that once came before. There’s a glimmer of everything I first saw in you.” Out with the old (Pegi) and in with the new (Daryl). (2)
5. Say Hello to Chicago – Back to the full band with this Broadway-styled track. Neil making more hints about the excitement of new love. (1)
6. Tumbleweed – Another love song to Daryl. This would later resurface on the Paradox soundtrack Neil did for Daryl’s film. (2)
7. Like the Way You Used to – At least we get something resembling the Neil we’ve come to know and love – some decent harmonica work. However, it quickly devolves into a bad revisiting of the direction he went in the late 80s on This Note’s for You. (3)
8. I’m Glad I Found You – Another sappy love song to Daryl. Neil is glad he found her. This sounds like some awkward 16 year-old professing his love. (1)
9. When I Watch You Sleeping – A little closer to what you would expect from Neil. Sounds like Nitzsche rose from the grave and put some orchestral gloss on one of his sunny, country-kissed acoustic songs. You know it’s bad when I’m referencing Nitzsche in a positive way. (4)
10. All Those Dreams – And Neil moves from watching his new love sleeping to referencing here dreams. Terrible. (1)

Overall score - 2
- DPM

cortez the killer

Landing on Water/Neil Young (1986)

This is a fuckin’ turd. Danny Kortchmar had produced a number of Don Henley’s solo hits for Geffen Records and was brought in as the “real” producer who could reign in the label’s problem child. The only musicians on this album are Neil, Kortchmar on the synthetic-keyboard bass and Steve Jordan on drums. The album barely registered in sales and was justifiably skewered by critics. In an interview years after the dust had settled, Neil admitted, “It’s a piece of crap. Let’s be honest about it. If I was going to give one of my records to somebody, I don’t think this would be the one.”

1. Weight of the World – Easy on those synthesizers, Neil. (2)
2. Violent Side – Is this Taylor Dayne or Neil Young? Jesus! (1)
3. Hippie Dream – Neil coming after David Crosby and the Woodstock generation calling those wooden ships a hippie dream that were “capsized in excess, if you know what I mean.” Solid song buried under layer of awful, 80s production. (4.5)
4. Bad News Beat – Song about getting dumped for another guy. Not as bad as the opening two tracks, but not good either. (3)
5. Touch the Night – Originally debuted live with Crazy Horse during a back-to-back, two-night stand at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz in the winter of 1984. Hearing it from bootlegs of those shows was my first experience with the song and I loved it. This one gets a bit bogged downsoiled by shitty production, but it’s still a pretty good song. (6)
6. People on the Street – “People on the street need a place to go.” Not good. (1)
7. Hard Luck Stories – Getting really awkward at this point. The songwriting and production both suck. (1)
8. I Got a Problem – Yes you do, Neil. (1)
9. Pressure – One of the better tracks, but that’s not saying much. (4)
10. Drifter – “What about you? What about me?” Hints of Old Black being unleashed are muffled by terrible synthesizers covering it up like a nasty blanket of fog. (4)

Overall score - 2
- DPM

cortez the killer

Everybody’s Rockin’/Neil Young & The Shocking Pinks (1983)

The original plan was to follow up Trans with another country-tinged record titled Old Ways. When Neil submitted the record to Geffen Records it was rejected on the grounds it sounded “too country”. With Trans having bombed, the folks at Geffen wanted Neil to make a real rock and roll record. Incensed that his album has been rejected, Neil delivered what he was instructed to - a rock and roll record. Neil reassembled a pared-down version of the band of the band he used to record Old Ways and quickly recorded an album of late fifties/early sixties-styled rock and roll. For production purposes, Neil used a “Digitube” method of merging digital recorders with his old Wally Heider tube console. Spooner Oldham quipped, “You take a $180,000 Sony machine and run it through a $39.95 board.” The classic Sun Records-style reverb had been neutered by the production. It is also a very brief album, clocking in at under twenty-five minutes. Needless to say the execs at Geffen were not too pleased. Everybody’s Rockin’ was panned critically and sold poorly. Months after the record’s release, David Geffen sued Neil Young for damages of $3.3 million calling both Trans and Everybody’s Rockin’ albums that were “not ‘commercial’ and . . . musically uncharacteristic of Young’s previous recordings.” Neil countersued Geffen and the partnership was irreparably destroyed.

1. Betty Lou’s Got a New Pair of Shoes – For the first time in his career, Neil starts off an album with a cover. Oh boy! (3)
2. Rainin’ in My Heart – Another cover. (2)
3. Payola Blues – Tribute to legendary DJ Alan Freed is the first original. Neil’s singing is impassioned. “No matter where I go, I never hear my record on the radio.” (4)
4. Wonderin’ – Old song that had never been released in studio form. Used as Neil’s first music video, the band getting into a real swingin’ groove. Live version later resurfaced on the Live at The Fillmore East set released as part of the Neil young Archives Performance Series. (5)
5. Kinda Fonda Wanda – Neil does his best Jerry Lee Lewis impersonation. (3)
6. Jellyroll Man – Hard to believe he was able to stay in character and pump this shit out. I mean, if anything, it’s well-executed, 50s-styled rock and roll. (3.5)
7. Bright Lights, Big City – Tap that toe & snap those fingers. We’re heading to the sock hop. (3)
8. Cry, Cry, Cry – I think I hear him laughing a bit as he attempts to stay in character. I swear this must’ve shown up on an episode of Happy Days. (2)
9. Mystery Train – This Elvis staple is the best cover on the album. Strongest performance of the covers. (4)
10. Everybody’s Rockin’ – Yikes. (1.5)

Overall score -2.5
- DPM

cortez the killer

A Letter Home/Neil Young (2014)

“He heard the sound of the future, on a scratchy old 78.” It’s this line from Greendale’s Leave the Driving that best describes this collaboration with Jack White. In classic Youngian fashion, here’s Neil ranting and raving about sound quality, how shitty MP3s are and raising $6.2 million via Kickstarter for his high-end digital audio device, Pono. Then he goes and releases an album of classic covers, recorded in a refurbished Voice-O-Graph booth designed to allow the performer to cut a message or song straight to vinyl. It is a lo-fi as lo-fi can be. Jack White explained the unconventional recording method as follows – “We were obfuscating beauty on purpose to get to a different place, a different mood.” If you are a sucker for this kind of vintage, lo-fi sound, you will find lots to like about this. I don’t think this holds a candle to his other covers record, Americana. Also, the association with Jack White raises my skepticism. This is a once-in-a-blue-moon listen for me.

1. A Letter Home Intro – Neil sending a message to his deceased mother, Rassy. He wants her to talk to her ex-husband and Neil’s dad, Scott. He also wants her to say hello to Ben Keith up in heaven as well. Some bizarre ramblings about the weatherman, Al, and weather forecasts. (4)
2. Changes – A Phil Ochs cover. Neil definitely nails that vintage vibe here. (3)
3. Girl from the North Country – Not sure Neil could pick a better Dylan song for him to cover. This one registers a little higher than the previous track. (5)
4. Needle of Death – A cautionary song about heroin covered by a man who has written some great anti-drug songs himself. Neil loves him some Bert Jansch. (6)
5. Early Morning Rain – Covering fellow Canadian folkie, Gordon Lightfoot. Neil’s voice sounds strange here. (3)
6. Crazy – Tackles a song from former collaborator, Willie Nelson. A record nerd, trying to impress you with his vast music knowledge, Neil is not. (3)
7. Reason to Believe – More conversations with mom, Rassy. Covering the Tim Hardin song Bruce Springsteen immortalized on Nebraska. On the positive side, this is more in Neil’s sweet spot than the previous two songs. (4.5)
8. On the Road Again – Back to his boy, Willie. Similar results as last time around. (3)
9. If You Could Read My Mind – The second Gordo cover. Great song and better suited for Neil’s vocal range. (4.5)
10. Since I Met You Baby – One of the more obscure covers on the album (Ivory Joe Hunter). Jack providing some piano assistance. (4)
11. My Hometown – Neil’s take on this Bruce Springsteen classic is awful. (1.5)
12. I Wonder if I Care as Much – Got some harmonizing vocals from Jack on this Everly Brothers classic. This one works as well as anything on the record. (5.5)

Overall score - 4
- DPM