Circuital Pre-Order

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

shuffle

Re: Circuital Pre-Order

Post by shuffle »

I don't understand what you guys were expecting to be so disappointed by the album...it's pretty much what I was expecting, both in quality and style. It's good, not great, not bad, probably slightly better than evil urges but not as good as their other stuff. I enjoy the band moving and evolving even if it doesn't always work. favourite tracks so far are victory dance, circuital, holdin on to black metal. but all were grower so I wouldn't be surprised if other tracks grow on me later on.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

olwiggum wrote:I'd like to go on record as saying that "BackSpacer" and the Avocado record are pretty damn solid.

Yeah, those albums aren't too bad. I'm actually looking forward to Eddie's ukelele album that comes out the same day as Curcuital. Hopefully it has some of that "Into the Wild" vibe. I liked that soundtrack more than I've liked any PJ album since Yield.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Duke Silver wrote:
olwiggum wrote:I'd like to go on record as saying that "BackSpacer" and the Avocado record are pretty damn solid.

Yeah, those albums aren't too bad. I'm actually looking forward to Eddie's ukelele album that comes out the same day as Curcuital. Hopefully it has some of that "Into the Wild" vibe. I liked that soundtrack more than I've liked any PJ album since Yield.

Into The Wild is a great album. Probably listen to it once a week.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

BigTom wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Into The Wild is a great album. Probably listen to it once a week.

I need to revisit it. Haven't listened to it in quite a while, although the coffee shop I do most of my studying at has it in pretty heavy rotation. I wish PJ would embrace that stripped down, folky/poppy sound. Their last couple of albums have sounded kind of forced.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

shuffle wrote:I don't understand what you guys were expecting to be so disappointed by the album...

Mostly because a lot of Jim James' interviews during the recording process made it sound like it was going to be a return to their earlier sound. that's clearly not how it turned out
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:
shuffle wrote:I don't understand what you guys were expecting to be so disappointed by the album...

Mostly because a lot of Jim James' interviews during the recording process made it sound like it was going to be a return to their earlier sound. that's clearly not how it turned out

yeah, i don't get that, either..(other than the actual physical type of recording)...what was the point of recording in an old church in L-ville? I'm not techy or musically versed to talk about production and all that, but...

Sorry, Bill--i knew you'd disagree and have to chime in :-) i can't give PJ any props past 3 albums, great live band, they can make the mediocre songs come alive---if post Vitalogy sounded like Into the Wild, i'd love it...
In my blood, there's gasoline..

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Zip City wrote:

After Isbell was quoted saying Here We Rest was going to be a rocker, and after listening to it, I no longer believe artists about their music until I hear it.

FWIW I haven't been able to get into MMJ at all. I have tried the live album, and can't get past the first 2 songs before I am bored. Maybe I will give it another shot. To be honest, I don't even know why I have been keeping up with this thread.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

To be honest, I don't even know why I have been keeping up with this thread.

:lol:

Exactly Zip. I've made several long winded attempts and that's all that was needed. The talk about returning to Louisville and record in a church/gym/space or whatever sounded great. It sounded like this would be stripped down and a return to form. Instead, it's the opposite. I like a lot of the songs on this album and EU. They just don't sniff the earlier work. I still think there is some brilliance in some of these songs transcending into a live show. Highly Suspicious, Touch Me 2 and now HOTBM.....those have something special going on. I'm eager to see them next month.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

PeterJ wrote:
Zip City wrote:

After Isbell was quoted saying Here We Rest was going to be a rocker, and after listening to it, I no longer believe artists about their music until I hear it.

FWIW I haven't been able to get into MMJ at all. I have tried the live album, and can't get past the first 2 songs before I am bored. Maybe I will give it another shot. To be honest, I don't even know why I have been keeping up with this thread.

that is a really good point...so many artist say stuff like that...and very few albums actually sound like what they describe. If this MMJ album is a return then they have no idea what their roots are.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i guess i thought it was a return to Jim's roots (first 3 albums, Month of Sundays, Hotel Roy) given that Tommy is the only remaining original member--but i guess since Z was the first album THIS band made together...(with Carl and Bo)...then maybe ..nah,...not sure

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Victory Dance is ok. I wish it had a proper ending and not that mess at the end. I guess I'm back on the fence till I hear the whole thing. :|
Last edited by Duke Silver on Wed May 04, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

Zip City wrote:

oh, yeah, I didn't even remember those comments...but then it's not that strange I suppose. circuital sounds kinda like their younger selves but besides that...
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Victory Dance bleeds Piper At The Gates of Dawn. Just getting an early Floyd era vibe. That's a positive for me.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Penny Lane wrote:Sorry, Bill--i knew you'd disagree and have to chime in :-) i can't give PJ any props past 3 albums, great live band, they can make the mediocre songs come alive---if post Vitalogy sounded like Into the Wild, i'd love it...

I also love Into the Wild, but PJ is not a folk band so it's unlikely they'll make that type of album. You really don't like No Code or Yield? I think those stand up very well to the first three...especially No Code which is my favorite PJ album on many days if asked.

As to the topic of this thread, I haven't heard Circuital yet. I'm not usually one to listen to leaked albums. I will probably buy it without listening first, but am a bit wary after getting burned by EU, which I think is not only the worst MMJ album to date but one of the worst albums by an artist I really like that I've heard in years.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I'm split on this album. Knocked it a bit prematurely. I'm not blown away but it has its moments.

Like: Victory Dance, Circuital, Wonderful, HOTBM, First Light, You Wanna Freak Out, Movin Away

It's definitely nothing compared to AD, ISM, or Z.

Maybe I needs some sleepy time.

**pretty funny considering I didn't like Circuital and HOTBM at first. :o

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Bill in CT wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Sorry, Bill--i knew you'd disagree and have to chime in :-) i can't give PJ any props past 3 albums, great live band, they can make the mediocre songs come alive---if post Vitalogy sounded like Into the Wild, i'd love it...

I also love Into the Wild, but PJ is not a folk band so it's unlikely they'll make that type of album. You really don't like No Code or Yield? I think those stand up very well to the first three...especially No Code which is my favorite PJ album on many days if asked.

As to the topic of this thread, I haven't heard Circuital yet. I'm not usually one to listen to leaked albums. I will probably buy it without listening first, but am a bit wary after getting burned by EU, which I think is not only the worst MMJ album to date but one of the worst albums by an artist I really like that I've heard in years.

if you feel that way about EU, i'm guessing this is not going to be your favorite anything :-(

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Penny Lane wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:

if you feel that way about EU, i'm guessing this is not going to be your favorite anything :-(

I feel that way aboiut EU..and I think this album is worse. 2 really bad albums in a row for a band that is talented. Someone tell JJ he used to be in a good rock band.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

What makes their slide more frustrating is that Jim's stuff with Monsters of Folk is so good. I love all his songs from that album. Maybe it's because he sings in a normal, human voice with MOF instead of the creepy, alien falsetto he uses on so many MMJ songs nowadays....I dunno.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Opposed to say Ryan Adams, who doesn't release anything that I give a shit about, atleast MMJ/Jim James knock it out of the park with their non-album/tribute tracks (Goin to Acapulco, All the Best, Lullabys,Legends & Lies)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Smitty wrote:Opposed to say Ryan Adams, who doesn't release anything that I give a shit about, atleast MMJ/Jim James knock it out of the park with their non-album/tribute tracks (Goin to Acapulco, All the Best, Lullabys,Legends & Lies)

Don't forget "It Makes No Difference".
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

BigTom wrote:
Smitty wrote:Opposed to say Ryan Adams, who doesn't release anything that I give a shit about, atleast MMJ/Jim James knock it out of the park with their non-album/tribute tracks (Goin to Acapulco, All the Best, Lullabys,Legends & Lies)

Don't forget "It Makes No Difference".

Proves that they're a badass band when they've got good songs to work with...

Sub

Post by Sub »

Honestly despite my efforts I could never get into MMJ.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Sub wrote:Honestly despite my efforts I could never get into MMJ.

It wasn't a love at first sight thing for me either... I owned It Still Moves for almost a year before it really started to click with me (listening to it would actually give me headaches...must've been the reverb). Then I saw them live right before Z came out and was pretty much sold.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:What makes their slide more frustrating is that Jim's stuff with Monsters of Folk is so good.

YES ---I thought Jim's songs were the weaker songs on that album but it was such a wonderful album--even his songs were great.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

if MMJ or Jim put something out even close to Cold Roses or Jacksonville City Nights i'd be thrilled.

I actually get way more excited for a Ryan Adams album than MMJ...his last few were not great but i'd still take them over the last two MMJ albums.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Has anyone warmed up to this album a little more? I blared it Wednesday and like Victory Dance and Circuital starting out. It's definitely not that great. I like a handful of songs but none of them have hit me like certain MMJ songs. EU at least had a couple songs that were fantastic. I'm not getting that with Circuital.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Erdlivz wrote:Has anyone warmed up to this album a little more? I blared it Wednesday and like Victory Dance and Circuital starting out. It's definitely not that great. I like a handful of songs but none of them have hit me like certain MMJ songs. EU at least had a couple songs that were fantastic. I'm not getting that with Circuital.

I'm not getting that either...nothing like Touch Me part II...or even Highly Suspicious..which love or hate..it was an interesting song.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Erdlivz wrote:I like a handful of songs but none of them have hit me like certain MMJ songs. EU at least had a couple songs that were fantastic. I'm not getting that with Circuital.

EXACTLY how I feel. Circuital isn't exactly offensive to me, it's just boring as hell. While EU had some low points (Librarian, P.B.P.S.), it also had some serious highs.

One thing I will say for Circuital is I can already tell there are some tunes that will be MUCH better live (Black Metal, First Light), but that doesn't make it a better album.

These guys really need to regroup and go back to the drawing board for their next album.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

mgsooner wrote:These guys really need to regroup and go back to the drawing board for their next album.

as much as it pains me to say, i agree..most of the songs still don't resonate at all

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

7/2 Santa Barbara, CA – Santa Barbara Bowl
- 8/2 St. Louis, MO – The Pageant
- 8/3 Kansas City, MO – Uptown Theater

Tour Dates w/ Neko Case:
- 8/7 Indianapolis, IN – The Lawn at White River State Park
- 8/8 Columbus, OH – LC Pavilion
- 8/10 Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE
- 8/12 Columbia, MD – Merriweather Post Pavilion