Artist of the Week 04/04/11 - The Bad Examples

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Artist of the Week 04/04/11 - The Bad Examples

Post by Zip City »

Jumping in at the last minute here.....

I decided to go with a band that pretty much no one (outside of Tequila Cowboy) has heard of.

The Bad Examples formed in Chicago in 1987 and quickly became a fixture in the bars and clubs in Chicago and around the Great Lakes. The band's leader (and song writer) is Ralph Covert, and he's one of my favorite songwriters of all time. Whether it's a blues-based stomp, a power-pop hook, or a heart-wrenching ballad, Covert is a master lyricist. The Bad Examples are a bar band with brains, a pop band with heart.

Though the rest of the lineup has gone through many iterations, Covert remains the rock and center of the band. After getting air play on WXRT and WLUP in Chicago, the band toured extensively, building a fan base and cementing a reputation as a great live act.

The band put out an EP (MEAT: The Bad Examples) and three full length albums (Bad is Beautiful, Cheap Beer Night, and Kisses 50 Cents) between 1989 and 1996. In addition, Covert released two solo albums (Eat at Godot's and Birthday), showcasing a quieter, more acoustic vibe. The band also released a "best of" album, and a live album titled "5000 Days", which marked the number of days the band had been together.

The Bad Examples went on hiatus in the late 90's, as Covert ventured out as a Children's/Family music artist. With a new band called Ralph's World, Covert put out several albums, and was eventually signed by Disney Sound. Covert has toured the country with Ralph's World and has had several songs featured on The Disney Channel.

After 15 years, the Bad Examples reconvened in the studio to record "Smash Record", released in early 2011.

Since the band's hey day was in the late 80's/early 90's, there aren't many youtube videos out there. I took a few of the studio tracks and put them on Youtube for you to sample:

"Not Dead Yet" - This was the band's successful song, featured on Chicago radio for years. Styx recorded a cover of the song for a 1990 album, and the song was featured on a few TV shows. It remains their most popular song in live shows to this day:

"Hey St. Peter" - For the band's second full length release, they did something I wish more bands would do: they recorded a live album of mostly brand new material. Over two nights at Chicago's The Beat Kitchen, the band rocked out to a full room and put together the highlights of the two nights into "Cheap Beer Night". This is the opening track:

A few years after the release of "Cheap Beer Night", guitarist John Duich died of heart failure. His role was filled by Steve Gerlach, a fixture in Chicago who has played with The Phantom Helmsman, Mystery Driver, and more (he was rumored to have been considered for The Smashing Pumpkins when they reformed recently). Gerlach brought a more rockabilly guitar sound as well as a second voice to provide harmonies. He was featured prominently on their third release, "Kisses 50 Cents":

Ralph's first solo album, "Eat at Godot's", was a mostly acoustic effort with sadder, more introspective songs:

And here, from the 2011 release "Smash Record", is my favorite new song, "You Don't Understand Me":

And if any of you have young kids right now, you may already be familiar with one of Ralph's World's songs :D

Hope you find something to enjoy here. I'll try to get a sampler put together here this afternoon.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Re: Artist of the Week 04/04/11 - The Bad Examples

Post by Zip City »

The band in 1995:

and today:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

One more thing.....

Ralph released an EP called "Adam McCarthy", which included the title song and some live versions of other acoustic tracks.

"Adam McCarthy" is Ralph's "The Living Bubba." It was written about a close friend of Ralph's, an artist who did the cover art for "Bad is Beautiful", as well as show posters, promo materials, and even a custom guitar. The artist (whose real name is not Adam McCarthy) died of cancer in the mid-90's and this song was Ralph's tribute to him.

The first time I heard it was at an outdoor music festival in Oz Park in Chicago. The band was rocking out as usual, but then the rest of the band left and Ralph stood alone with his acoustic guitar. You could have heard a pin drop as he sang this heart-wrenching song.

I'm not sure there's a sadder lyric than:

He said, "Do you want to get high?
It's not like it's going to kill me.
I'm almost as dead as I'll get."

Clams

Post by Clams »

Huge round of applause to Zip City for stepping up and getting this thread together on extremely short notice.

If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Good job Zip. I really did love these guys back in the day. I'm going to dig out there albums and have a cogent thought or two later this week.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Nice one Zip. Ralph could not be a nicer guy - and, certainly a picture of this veteran band belongs in an encyclopedia under the genre "Power Pop."

Steve Gerlach is a phenomenal musician who's own band is called: "Tomorrow The Moon." He refers to it as belonging to a stylistic genre he calls "Space Punk." Erstwhile Phantom Helmsmen and Mystery Driver drummer John Carpender is also in Steve's band.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Thanks for the enlightenment. 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

StevieRay wrote:Nice one Zip. Ralph could not be a nicer guy - and, certainly a picture of this veteran band belongs in an encyclopedia under the genre "Power Pop."

Steve Gerlach is a phenomenal musician who's own band is called: "Tomorrow The Moon." He refers to it as belonging to a stylistic genre he calls "Space Punk." Erstwhile Phantom Helmsmen and Mystery Driver drummer John Carpender is also in Steve's band.

The Mystery Driver album is just fantastic. Lo-Fi, bluesy rock.

It's out of print, but I'd be happy to hook people up with it if they want to give it a shot. They do a great cover of The Kinks' "Got My Feet on the Ground"

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Awesome job Zip. I like the samples enough to want to check them out. Crazy about the Potty Dance. Of course I know that song. My wife and younger son sing it sometimes.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

lajakesdad wrote:Awesome job Zip. I like the samples enough to want to check them out. Crazy about the Potty Dance. Of course I know that song. My wife and younger son sing it sometimes.

I'd check out "Cheap Beer Night" first, but I can also upload a sampler

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

nice job, zip.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

would you all rather I upload a mix sampler or a full length album?

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Their best album

Clams

Post by Clams »

mix - gimme their best stuff
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Man, SOOO hard to pare down to a sampler, but here are 15 Bad Examples songs, followed by 4 Ralph Covert solo tunes. There are a disproportionate number of songs from Cheap Beer Night, but that's because I chose live versions of a few tracks from Bad is Beautiful (due to awesome crowd participation).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9yvpjx

1. Hey St. Peter (Cheap Beer Night)
2. Out of Tune Song (CBN)
3. You Don't Understand Me (Smash Record)
4. Me and My Near-Blind Hindsight (Kisses 50 Cents)
5. Failing With the Best Intentions (CBN)
6. Til the Cup is Broke (CBN)
7. It's Over Now (K50C)
8. Beautiful Bonfire (K50C)
9. Bad Girl (CBN)
10. Your Ex-Girlfriend (SR)
11. Sammy Dog (CBN)
12. Promises in the Dark (Bad is Beautiful)
13. Not Dead Yet (CBN/BiB)
14. She Smiles Like Richard Nixon (CBN/BiB)
15. Get's All Messy (SR)

16. The Amazing Romero (Birthday)
17. Fools Will Try (Birthday)
18. The Calico Kid (Eat at Godot's)
19. Cold Shivers (Eat at Godot's)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So, anyone download the sampler?

Sub

Post by Sub »

Zip City wrote:So, anyone download the sampler?

Just did, I'll check it out and get back to you once I have a proper listen.

Sub

Post by Sub »

You know, I've had a chance to listen a bit but I''m not sure if I'm gonna be able to get past the singer. I'll have to give it another chance later cause I do like the music though it's just the singing style that I'm not too into at this point.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sub wrote:You know, I've had a chance to listen a bit but I''m not sure if I'm gonna be able to get past the singer. I'll have to give it another chance later cause I do like the music though it's just the singing style that I'm not too into at this point.

He's certainly got a "poppier" voice than the usual 3DD favorites.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sad to learn today that bassist Tom "Pickles" Piekarski passed away today. Not only did he play for 20+ years with The Bad Examples, but he also played on John Prine's "Pink Cadillac" record.

A very sad day for the Chicago music scene.