Overrated/Underrated Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Steve French

Re: Overrated/Underrated Thread

Post by Steve French »

RevMatt wrote:
mhc wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Overrated: Goats Head Soup
Underrated: Emotional Rescue

I don't know.
Dancin with Mr D, Star Star, silver train,winter, coming down again.

Goats Head Soup has some great songs. I listen to it often, especially when I am falling asleep. But I've always felt the mix wasn't good. It was the first Glimmer Twins production, so that is understandable. The mix was great on just about everything they did afterwards. They had to learn somehow.

Emotional Rescue rocks. It doesn't get enough credit, even by The Stones themselves. People sort of dismiss it. It didn't help that the album has one of the worst album covers ever. Patterson Hood is right when he talks about the importance of album cover art. I think the lousy cover has contributed to music fans not regarding the record as highly as they should.

Its got "Miss You": I really like that song. Its not JJF or Sympathy (to quote my little bro when he paid HUGE money tosee the stones a few years ago "They can just come on, do "Sympathy" and go off again, and I'll be happy).
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

RevMatt wrote:
Overrated class of Harley Davidson Motorcycles: Soft Tails
Underrated class of Harley Davidson Motorcycles: V Rods

Overrated: Big Twins
Underrated: Sportsters (XR1200, Nightster, 48)

Overrated:Harley Davidson
Underrated: Triumph
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Steve French wrote:
RevMatt wrote:
Overrated class of Harley Davidson Motorcycles: Soft Tails
Underrated class of Harley Davidson Motorcycles: V Rods

Overrated: Big Twins
Underrated: Sportsters (XR1200, Nightster, 48)

Overrated:Harley Davidson
Underrated: Triumph

The new Sportster XR1200 is one helluva bike. If you've never ridden a V Rod, give one of the older models a test run. (The newer ones are too fat.) You would swear that is a shaft drive, not a belt. That bike has some giddyup.

I am a Triumph partisan myself, but I appreciate some of the things HD has done design wise the past five years or so. Definately thinking outside the box.

I am debating whether my next bike will be a Triumph Thunderbird or a Rocket III. That Rocket III is a beast. A 2200 cc monster that handles almost like a sportsbike. Sick.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Miss You is on Some Girls..
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I dig most of Steve Earle's political songs, and think that Washington Square Serenade stands up to his best work;
I respect Joe Strummer, but maybe it's the period/age thing I would call the Clash overrated
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:Overrated: Signing your kids up for these expensive "Rock Schools" at your local music center
Underrated: Kids getting together to jam in someone's basement without a music teacher telling them how or what to play

Overrated: Getting tabs off the internet
Underrated: Developing your ear so you can figure out the chords on your own and interpreting the song your own way

Overrated: Mp3's and Ipods
Underrated: Used vinyl

And, in honor of the 50th birthday of The Pill

Overrated: Birth control pills, iuds and condoms
Underrated: A vasectomy

Alright Rev, I'm taking issue with all four of those.

My kids both attend a music school. Not a "school of rock" per se, but a place where it's almost all kids (and me - for a year anyway... lol) taking 30 minute lessons once a week. They've been there for 2 and a half years. My daughter's learned to play Stairway to Heaven and Mozart on the piano (she's 8!) and my son is 10 and is currently learning to play slide guitar riffs off of Physical Graffiti. They both learned to play a ton of stuff from their teachers and it's hard to find other kids their age for basement jam sessions (my son's got just one friend who can play guitar).

Moving on, Clams Jr and I totally love the internet tabs. We noodle around on our own too, but there's nothing like looking up a tab to Sweet Virginia, Wish You Were Here or Folsom Prison and then you're playing it by yourself 5 minutes later. That's awesome! Maybe one day he'll be good enough to figure stuff out by ear, but for now we're sticking with Ultimate-Guitar.com. That site is great.

I also swear by my mp3's and iPod. Totally revolutionized the way I listen to music. I'll admit I'm not a vinyl guy and I do lament that my son only listens to playlists instead of album sides or complete records, but all in all, I'll trade that for being able to listen to my ipod while I mow the lawn or listening to all my 9B music all day on my computer while in the office.

Finally, I agree that vasectomies are underrated (had one myself about 4 years ago - TMI, I know!) but in no way can anyone say that the pill is overrated. "I'm on the pill" might be the sweetest four words any girl friend could ever say to her boyfriend. No way you that can be overrated!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Clams...I said I would advocate for these points...the good RevMatt spokes in terms of under and over-rated. Just because something is overrated doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose. For example, the satisfaction of playing "wish you were here" in five minutes might be cool and convenient, but cannot compare to the rush of figuring out the same song just by listening...sure it might take longer, but I get a better sense of song structure, feeling and, even more generally, insights into songwriting.

Same thing for music lessons...they can give a solid foundation for a lifetime of playing, and depending on the teacher, can really impart a passion for music...but it really is overrated when compared to the out-of-body-damn-near-impossible-to-describe experience of finding the pocket when jamming with friends...

The convenience and process of discovering songs via downloads, iPods, etc...really does not compare to the warmth and cohesiveness (and packaging)of vinyl...making a record as in a record of an event (the event of playing music in a room - Ani Difranco) or a complete realization of a musical vision, carefully mixed and sequenced...

okay...I'll concede that the Pill cannot be deemed to be overrated, but most guys, myself included, will roll their eyes at the big "V"...but Missus and I would agree that the benefits are simply incredible.

Had I known, I would have taken that walk long ago ;)
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Underrated: Moms
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Overrated "supergroup" - Blind Faith
Underrated "supergroup" - Golden Smog

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Overrated: Signing your kids up for these expensive "Rock Schools" at your local music center
Underrated: Kids getting together to jam in someone's basement without a music teacher telling them how or what to play

Overrated: Getting tabs off the internet
Underrated: Developing your ear so you can figure out the chords on your own and interpreting the song your own way

Overrated: Mp3's and Ipods
Underrated: Used vinyl

And, in honor of the 50th birthday of The Pill

Overrated: Birth control pills, iuds and condoms
Underrated: A vasectomy

Alright Rev, I'm taking issue with all four of those.

My kids both attend a music school. Not a "school of rock" per se, but a place where it's almost all kids (and me - for a year anyway... lol) taking 30 minute lessons once a week. They've been there for 2 and a half years. My daughter's learned to play Stairway to Heaven and Mozart on the piano (she's 8!) and my son is 10 and is currently learning to play slide guitar riffs off of Physical Graffiti. They both learned to play a ton of stuff from their teachers and it's hard to find other kids their age for basement jam sessions (my son's got just one friend who can play guitar).

Moving on, Clams Jr and I totally love the internet tabs. We noodle around on our own too, but there's nothing like looking up a tab to Sweet Virginia, Wish You Were Here or Folsom Prison and then you're playing it by yourself 5 minutes later. That's awesome! Maybe one day he'll be good enough to figure stuff out by ear, but for now we're sticking with Ultimate-Guitar.com. That site is great.

I also swear by my mp3's and iPod. Totally revolutionized the way I listen to music. I'll admit I'm not a vinyl guy and I do lament that my son only listens to playlists instead of album sides or complete records, but all in all, I'll trade that for being able to listen to my ipod while I mow the lawn or listening to all my 9B music all day on my computer while in the office.

Finally, I agree that vasectomies are underrated (had one myself about 4 years ago - TMI, I know!) but in no way can anyone say that the pill is overrated. "I'm on the pill" might be the sweetest four words any girl friend could ever say to her boyfriend. No way you that can be overrated!

Overrated does not mean that something sucks, just that, IMO, all the hype surrounding certain things make them out to be more than they are.

1: I am not talking about music lessons where a kid learns an instrument. I am talking about the "rock schools" where an adult coaches a band like some sort of little league coach. Yes, this has its place. But once a kid is competent on an instrument, the next step in becoming a musician is developing his or her own style. At that point you need to move away from a teacher and start learning from your peers. That is the way I came up. I had lessons until I was fifteen. Then, my primary teachers were the others in my band.

2: Internet tabs -- yes, they serve a purpose. But, again, if someone wants to take that jump to the next level as a musician, two things need to happen. 1) They need to develop their ear so they can hear the changes and 2) they need to develop their own style. Staying with tabs or sheet music will prevent that.

3: Mp3's and ipods are good. I own an ipod. But, at 99 cents a song, it is pretty expensive to fill. However, a ten song album at a used record store will cost between two and three dollars. Significant savings and the most cost effective way of acquiring music.

4: The vasectomy thing was meant to be a joke. I should have put a :D at the end to make that clear.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:Underrated: Moms

Profound.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

mhc

Post by mhc »

beantownbubba wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Underrated: Moms

Profound.

Amen to that!!!
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Overrated: Monday fucking morning.
Underrated: Saturday night.

I just snapped at a real estate agent. I try not to because they can be a source of jobs for me, but it irks me to be chivvied up by some fucking bastard whose only interest in any particular job is the money they'll make, when I carry the liability, and make 10% of what they do out of it. Fucksticks.

This particular Monday morning can suck my balls.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Smitty wrote:Miss You is on Some Girls..

Doh. note to self: stop listening to best ofs, start listening to albums.: in fact

overrated: best of compilations
underrated: original albums.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Steve French wrote:Overrated: Monday fucking morning.
Underrated: Saturday night.

I just snapped at a real estate agent. I try not to because they can be a source of jobs for me, but it irks me to be chivvied up by some fucking bastard whose only interest in any particular job is the money they'll make, when I carry the liability, and make 10% of what they do out of it. Fucksticks.

This particular Monday morning can suck my balls.

I'm glad it is still Sunday night on this side of the international dateline.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Steve French wrote:overrated: best of compilations
underrated: original albums.

Yes!

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:Overrated does not mean that something sucks, just that, IMO, all the hype surrounding certain things make them out to be more than they are.

Yes, I understand that. Just my three cents why those things aren't overrated, that's all.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:Jesus H. Just found this gem.

Joelle, can you please inform Clams that I'm no longer speaking to him?

Overrated - Steve Earle
Underrated - James McMurtry

Re Tweedy and Farrar, I should have qualified the overrated with "here on this board" obviously not in the real world sense. And yes, I agree about McMurtry.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

RevMatt wrote:Underrated arena rock band live: Blue Oyster Cult My good friend in high school was a huge fan, so I saw them several times in the first five rows. They were real pros. Every show was great. They were never too F@*#ked up to play.

BOC have always been consummate pros.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Underrated arena rock band live: Blue Oyster Cult My good friend in high school was a huge fan, so I saw them several times in the first five rows. They were real pros. Every show was great. They were never too F@*#ked up to play.

Is that a positive or negative? Serious question, i've heard it used both ways when referring to musicians.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Here's a factoid: Patti Smith had a years long thing with Allen Lanier of the BOC. She is very nice about him in her book, just says it ended when he did some stuff (presumably what happened on tour didnt stay on tour) that put their health at risk. Presumably drugs or disease of some sort.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Ive always thought:

Overrated: Blue Oyster Cult (anyone want to convince me otherwise?)
Underrated: Black Sabbath

Clams

Post by Clams »

Say them at the Down Under in Newark Delaware circa 1990. I don't remember much about it but I'll bet I heard Don't Fear the Reaper.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Steve French wrote:Ive always thought:

As far as BOC, yes. Listen to the live albums. Some Enchanted Evening will work. I'd call them severely underrated.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Underrated (by the 3DD community) - Steely Dan
- DPM

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:
Beebs wrote:Jesus H. Just found this gem.

Joelle, can you please inform Clams that I'm no longer speaking to him?

Overrated - Steve Earle
Underrated - James McMurtry

Re Tweedy and Farrar, I should have qualified the overrated with "here on this board" obviously not in the real world sense.

Still completely unacceptable and untrue.
- DPM

The Drifter
Location: The Drifter holds on to his youth, just like it was money in the bank.

Post by The Drifter »

Clams wrote:

Say them at the Down Under in Newark Delaware circa 1990. I don't remember much about it but I'll bet I heard Don't Fear the Reaper.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Steve French wrote:Ive always thought:

Here in the states BOC don't get a whole lot of respect from the critics or rock fans. "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Burning For You" get radio airplay but most people don't know them for anything beyond that. There is a whole lot more to BOC. Sabbath, however, gets a whole lot of respect. (Deservedly, IMO) At least Ozzy era Sabbath does. Maybe it is different where you are.

Here's one that will stir up some dust:

Overrated: REM
Underrated: The Church

scotto

Post by scotto »

Steve French wrote:Overrated: Blue Oyster Cult (anyone want to convince me otherwise?)

Track down their first two albums (Blue Oyster Cult and Tyranny and Mutation; the ones that look like their covers were drawn by one of the band members' little brothers in 8th grade study hall) and have fun.
I think a point that is often missed about BOC is that they started out with tongues firmly in cheek and their first two records are like a cross between Brownsville Station and Led Zeppelin. They were always great players/performers, but it wasn't until later that they began to take their schtick a bit more seriously, and became less interesting as a result.
Life-changing music? No. Fun listens? Absolutely.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

RevMatt wrote:Overrated: REM
Underrated: The Church

i am confident that tinnitus likes this post.