Artist of the Week 3/6/11 - 3/12/11: Don Chambers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Artist of the Week 3/6/11 - 3/12/11: Don Chambers

Post by Smitty »

Don Chambers started playing music as a kid in Florence, South Carolina. In 1988, he headed south to Athens, Georgia to enroll in a master's program in printmaking; but surrounded by the still-burgeoning music scene, he soon lost interest in visual art and school altogether. He formed a band named Cursing Alice which later become Vaudeville, releasing one album (Into the Burlesque, with pre-DBT Brad Morgan on drums) before disbanding in 1998. For the next couple years he dedicated himself to writing songs inspired by the country, blues & folk music he had been brought up on, and that's when shit started getting really interesting.

Released in 2002, Back in the Woods is the epitome of "southern gothic", a term that get's tossed around too much; but this is the real deal. Just his voiced backed by acoustic guitars, banjos, stand up bass, fiddles, and even the occasional musical saw, it's got a sparse, haunting essence that should be right up a 3dd'ers alley. Many of his lyrics are clearly influenced from his strict Penecostal upbringing.

After the somewhat stripped down Back in the Woods, Don assembled a motley crew of musicians to be his backing band, the aptly named GOAT. They include Matt “Pistol” Stoessel (guitar, pedal steel), Brandon McDearis (Drums), Jim Wilson (ladder, percussion), Fritz Gibson (bass), and formerly Patrick Hargon (guitar), Lisa Hargon - Smith (bass), Kevin Lane (bass).

In 2007, Zebulon was released and after the recognition they received from touring with the Drive-By Truckers, it turned out to be Don Chambers' best selling album to date. Produced by Patterson Hood and featuring him on a couple tracks, Chambers explained that many of the places and characters from the album he encountered while touring the South.

“Now, once you pass the sign with the bullet holes, turn left at the Doolie Hill Trailer Park, you know they say ole Doolie he had a predilection for vegetables, well, then hang a louie ‘til you get bored, and then look for the twisted oak tree with a pair of rotting converse sneakers hanging in ‘em, and then….” The curves and detours of following such a path become the importance of the journey. “You have no idea where he’s telling you to go. Hell, you forgot where you were going, but you’re fascinated with the rhythm of speech and details, your eyes are glazed over and you lose track of time. I like records that give you that kinda feeling, like you’re going somewhere and not sure how you’ll get there,

Don has a new album coming out sometime in 2011. In the meantime check out his official website: http://donchambersmusic.com/index.html
blog: donchambersmusic.blogspot.com
live recordings: http://southernshelter.com/category/don-chambers/

here's a short sampler I put together for the uninitiated; spans all the albums: http://www.mediafire.com/?lgnbt74aova9atn
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Re: Artist of the Week 3/6/11 - 3/12/11: Don Chambers

Post by Iowan »

Good write up Smitty! I'm checking out the clips you posted, and I dig it so far. I'll definitely download the sampler when I get home.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Nice write up Smitty. Really like Zebulon...looking forward to delving into his back catologue. Nice to hear he's got something new in the offing.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Caught Don and co. on that tour with DBT at the Starland Ballroom, it was the first time I ever heard his music and I bought all the CDs that night. Love Don Chambers, missed the drummer playing the ladder in Athens though.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

think I can get a sticky? :D

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Smitty wrote:acoustic guitars, banjos, stand up bass, fiddles, and even the occasional musical saw

Smitty: thanks for the writeup - I will definitely be adding Back in the Woods to my listening que. This does sound like it might be right up my alley.

Van

Post by Van »

Nice job on the Don Chambers. Looking forward to the new album.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice job Smitty! Love Don Chambers. His show opening for DBT in Athens was a face melter.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Great job Smitty. I've got all his stuff. Love, love, love me some Damn Don Chambers. Thanks for the writeup.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Get the new album. Now.

http://donchambersandgoat.bandcamp.com/

You can stream it there too - much more AC/DC/ZZ Topish than Tom Waits. No banjo. But it FUCKING ROCKS.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

..I feel a little eerie following a Smitty post.

This Friday is a little different than last Friday (Homecoming), and today I went to a midday Good Friday service with my family. In church we sang the song “It is Well with my Soul,” and I remember singing that song throughout my life in church, but the lyrics from the hymn, “sorrows like sea billows roll” jumped out at me.

Didn’t Don Chambers do a song with those lyrics at homecoming the other year. I remember he was flanked by female backup singers.

Am I imaging things???

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:06 pm
..I feel a little eerie following a Smitty post.

This Friday is a little different than last Friday (Homecoming), and today I went to a midday Good Friday service with my family. In church we sang the song “It is Well with my Soul,” and I remember singing that song throughout my life in church, but the lyrics from the hymn, “sorrows like sea billows roll” jumped out at me.

Didn’t Don Chambers do a song with those lyrics at homecoming the other year. I remember he was flanked by female backup singers.

Am I imaging things???

That was his opening song at 2019 (?) Homecoming.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Excellent thread revival Beaver and great recall Flea. I remember that song being eerie and weird when he played it.
If you don't run you rust

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Every time I have seen him, I got chills from Highwater. What a great fucking song.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more