The Roadside Graves Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

The Roadside Graves Thread

Post by Duke Silver »

Last edited by Duke Silver on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: The Roadside Graves deserve their own thread

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yes they do. One of my favorite bands in recent years and they put on one hell of a show. Even in front of 20 people.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I agree too. Even though these guys are from about 2 miles away from me, I''d never been able to catch a local show until this summer.
They're from a town in Middlesexy Cty NJ called Metuchen. I saw them outside on a Thursday night in Metuchen during a weekly summer
"art" type festival. It was a bunch of town folk sitting in lawn chairs just kind of out for the evening. Not a horrible turnout, but not great
either. At one point the singer(his name escapes me) mentioned how happy they were to be playing in the town they grew up in. He said
something about how he and his wife no longer lived there as they couldn't afford it and most,not all, of the crowd laughed at him. I felt
really bad for the dude

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Yes they do. One of my favorite bands in recent years and they put on one hell of a show. Even in front of 20 people.

I've never seen them, but I've heard that they put on a great show. One of my biggest musical regrets is having a chance to see them at the Terrace in Madison a couple years ago and totally missing it. I was at the Bloodshot Records BBQ across town and probably could have timed it to still make it back in time for Justin Townes Earle, but I didn't find out about it until a few days later. Missed them their last time through Wisconsin, too. One of these days.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

They announced on Facebook the other day that the new album is mixed. :shock: I didn't even realize they were recording.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

More info on the new album. I must've missed this announcement:

http://popheadwound.com/2011/02/15/roadside-graves-announce-new-album/

...word today came from John Gleason of Roadside Graves that the Jersey roots rockers are putting the finishing touches on their new record, We Can Take Care of Ourselves, and look to get it out by late spring/early summer. Maybe it’ll win a Grammy next year. The 11 song album was inspired by The Outsiders, both the S.E. Hinton novel and Francis Ford Coppola’s 1983 film.

joelle

Post by joelle »

going to be a good spring summer for these guys

for those in the general vicinity...
sat. april 16th
and sun april 17th
cactus club milwaukee wisconsin
big ole barn show maquketa, iowa

new album soon to follow

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

I didn't even though they had a new album coming out...cool!
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

joelle wrote:going to be a good spring summer for these guys

for those in the general vicinity...
sat. april 16th
and sun april 17th
cactus club milwaukee wisconsin
big ole barn show maquketa, iowa

new album soon to follow

Hmm...that MKE show might be doable. Eight hours round trip, though. Hopefully they play some more midwest shows this summer.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

New album "We Can Take Care of Ourselves" came out yesterday. Apparently it's loosely based on S.E. Hinton's novel The Outsiders, which I've somehow never read.

I've only listened to half the album so far, waiting for the vinyl to come in to really dig into it. So far I can say that it's their best sounding album. The production is warm, with a lot of depth. You can hear the space around the instruments, if that makes sense. The keyboards sound great too. Especially on "Hank Williams." That song is damn catchy.

Nice write-up on the new album:

http://www.thestarkonline.com/2011/07/featured-release-we-can-take-care-of.html

Shorter write-up with a free song:

http://www.myoldkentuckyblog.com/?p=21884

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I was away last week but finally got around to picking this up. Seems like typical Graves fare, which to me is good. I'm not so sure about the 2 instrumentals though,especially "Hospital". Its not a bad piece of music by any means, I just don't see how it fits on the album. Time will tell of course

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

emandrisdad wrote:I was away last week but finally got around to picking this up. Seems like typical Graves fare, which to me is good. I'm not so sure about the 2 instrumentals though,especially "Hospital". Its not a bad piece of music by any means, I just don't see how it fits on the album. Time will tell of course

Yeah, Hospital is kinda, I don't know...boring. Maybe it works better thematically if you're familiar with "The Outsiders"? Tuff Hair is cool, though. I like the guitar and drum interplay. I read somewhere that it's supposed to play like the soundtrack to a fight scene.

One thing I will say about this band in general. I love em, but they write lousy ballads. (To the Sea, We Occupy Each Other, etc.) Both vocalists do this thing where they kinda warble and over-emote. Sounds self-consciously old fashioned and doesn't work for me at all.

Hank Williams, though...that's a top 5 song of the year for me. Double Feature isn't far behind.
Last edited by Duke Silver on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Duke Silver wrote:
emandrisdad wrote:I was away last week but finally got around to picking this up. Seems like typical Graves fare, which to me is good. I'm not so sure about the 2 instrumentals though,especially "Hospital". Its not a bad piece of music by any means, I just don't see how it fits on the album. Time will tell of course

Yeah, Hospital is kinda, I don't know...boring. Maybe it works better thematically if you're familiar with "The Outsiders"? Tuff Hair is cool, though. I like the guitar and drum interplay. I read somewhere that it's supposed to play like the soundtrack to a fight scene.

One thing I will say about this band in general. I love em, but they write lousy ballads. (To the Sea, We Occupy Each Other, etc.) Both vocalists do this thing where they kinda warble and over-emote. Sounds self-consciously old fashioned and doesn't work for me at all.

Hank Williams, though...that's a top 5 song of the year for me. Double Feature isn't far behind.

Yeah I get The Outsiders thing, and as a song title it fits. But musically with the rest of the record it stands outl like a sore thumb. I've now done repeated
listens and I still don't get it.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I'm surprised to hear they're from Jersey. May have to go spin them a few more times.
Not forever, just for now.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I know squadoosh about this band but I like this song. They have some weird, cool instrumental stuff going on on this song.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Saw something on Twitter the other day about them being dropped by their label (Autumn Tone, Aquarium Drunkard's label, I think). Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere else, though. It's gotta be tough supporting a band full of school teachers who can only tour 2-3 weeks out of the year.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Twitter says they've finally found a label to put out the album. Should be out sometime this year.

Duke Silver

Re: The Roadside Graves Thread

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Woof. I love "Shacking Up" and "No One Will Know Where You've Been" but this is... not a good start.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I like it a lot more than the song they premiered back when the album was supposed to be coming out on Aquarium Drunkard's label. I'm an unabashed fanboy when it comes to RG, though.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:I like it a lot more than the song they premiered back when the album was supposed to be coming out on Aquarium Drunkard's label. I'm an unabashed fanboy when it comes to RG, though.
You're going to get a kick out of this, but my reaction was similar to the first I spun "Celebration, Florida".

I'm sure I'll try the whole album out, but this new track just didn't move the needle at all for me.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Have you heard "Hank Williams" off their last album, Iowan? I think it's their best song.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I dunno, "Gospel Radio" is hitting all my RG pleasure buttons. It's a pretty good distillation of all the things they do well.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:Have you heard "Hank Williams" off their last album, Iowan? I think it's their best song.
you mean "song for a dry state", right?
"oh boy it's a girl"is probably my most played track, but that's cuz I'm a masochist.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Have you heard "Hank Williams" off their last album, Iowan? I think it's their best song.
you mean "song for a dry state", right?
"oh boy it's a girl"is probably my most played track, but that's cuz I'm a masochist.
Good time for a top 5:

Hank Williams
Far and Wide
West Coast
Liv Tyler
Outside

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

SFADS
Oh Boy it's a Girl
Hank Williams
Teenagers Are Tired
My Sons Home
Liv Tyler
Ruby
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Binged hard on these guys over the weekend. Forgot how good the EP was.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Uh oh, we've been discovered ;)

https://twitter.com/Roadsidegraves/stat ... 63296?s=09
Ha!

Checked out "Hank Williams". I dug it. I need to branch out past the two albums I own.

My top 5:
Honky Tonk
Jenny Jump
Women In Black
West Coast (probably my favorite Graves song)
Family and Friends