Artist Of The Week 2.7.2011 Bow Thayer & Perfect Trainwreck

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Artist Of The Week 2.7.2011 Bow Thayer & Perfect Trainwreck

Post by StevieRay »

Christmas gifts to me are a distant secondary aspect of the holiday season when compared with having the family together; but, damn if I wasn't the lucky recipient of a truly special music gift this time around: The new 2010 Bow Thayer and Perfect Trainwreck album "Bottom Of The Sky" along with Bow's phenomenal 2006 album "Spend It All." The copies I received are signed by the artist... and there I was thinking: "I've never heard of this guy" (?)... Well, short of the long - I'm writing this installment of AOTW having since devoured the rest of Bow's albums with a live show on tap... and, it's time to share what I've learned with y'all here @ 3DD!

Let's just say I could scarcely believe my ears on those first few spins. The sound and feel were instantly familiar and comfortable to me. Perfect Trainwreck is a five piece lineup that features Bow on a customized electric banjo (or a modified Telecaster or hollow-body Epiphone), bass guitar, pedal steel guitar, keyboards, & drums. They are the latest in what have been a series of lineups/bands that Thayer has played with including "The Benders."

The much hackneyed term "Dylanesque" is not my favorite descriptor. Contemporary music is rife with indie-folk rockers who might be described as such. Where I like the term as applied to Bow Thayer is: sometimes the timbre, tone, and indeed the range of Bow's singing can put me in a mind of "Blood On The Tracks" era Bob. There are worse things to put me in a mind of.

In the late 19th century there were a group of artists (painters, sculptors & the like) who "removed" to the Upper Connecticut River Valley to derive inspiration from the natural splendor to be found there. These artists became known as "The Cornish Colony." Bow Thayer has followed this tradition; and, that of his more obvious "Big Pink" musical influence. Further: he makes music on his own terms... not beholden to anyone.

A comparision to fellow banjo-wielding front man Bela Fleck does not work. Bow is a more accomplished lyricist. His work with "The Benders" at times might have invited comparison to the Steve Earle / Del McCoury collaboration "The Mountain." Bow has delved more deeply into what he calls "mountain prog" of late, yet, he is (mostly) still loathe to set down his banjo. "The Benders" to me were sort of Old And In The Way 2.0. (and, how I do LOVE that classic Garcia/Grisman/Rowan/Clements/Khan lineup). Perfect Trainwreck seems to provide greater room to move from a song arrangement standpoint than perhaps had existed in that earlier more strictly alt-country / bluegrass ensemble.

Here's the new Trainwreck album from late last year:
Bow Thayer playing what is the first track from the above album on his deck at home in Vermont:

B&B Entertainment Bloghttp://bandbent.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/interview-bow-thayer-perfect-trainwreck/
...noteworthy quote from above interview:
"We made this record last year at Levon’s barn, as we did with our last album. We fund all of our own shit so there was no fancy hotel. We stayed at the Rip Van Winkle campground and it rained every night. We recorded for three days completely live and did full vocals and took solos with every take. There was very little separation between us except for some baffles and blankets, but that’s the way we like it."

Here's the prior (debut) Trainwreck album:
"Meanwhile In The Here And Now" from the above album:

This one might be my favorite:
"The process of recording this album was very trying for the band as the original bassist quit & relocated, original tracks were almost lost, Levon had to drive down to Boston from Woodstock in an ice storm & Bow had to borrow money from a credit card to wrap up the album's production as the original record label went bankrupt. Levon told many a story to Bow & the boys & one related to the late Richard Manuel who would say 'spend it all' whenever things got dicey."
--from Plochmann Lane:http://plochmann.blogspot.com/

Here's an outstanding track entitled "Snake Bite" from Spend It All (performed here with The Benders):

Some excellent quotes in the following article: http://www.bostonbandcrush.com/2010/11/band-crush-bow-thayer-perfect.html
on moving to the country (and away from the 'scene'):
"That's one of the reasons I moved up to Vermont – not to get into a scene, but more to get out of a scene. I mean who the fuck moves to Vermont to start a music career – it's just not going to happen. But, the way I looked at it is if I could go to a place where I could focus and write, and get something going on where I could do my own thing, it would percolate to the surface and it couldn't be ignored, and it's kind of starting to happen. I piss and moan a lot about how broke I am and this and that, but we're doing it, you know? It's kind of working, I don't really know how, but it is.

on the fickle nature of popular success:
"A lot of people, once they achieve fame, all they have to do is show up. Like if Jeff Tweedy was here right now, the place would be packed and all he'd have to do is give a well executed fart and people would applaud. BUT, if someone just as good as him showed up – and there are a lot of people just as good as him in Boston – they've gotta really engage and work it."

also in this article is a notable quote from Trainwreck bass player Jeremy Moses Curtis (who is also none other than Booker T's touring bass player) about the Tweed River Festival:
"Not only do you check your ego but you check your genre at the door. You're there because you play music, that's it."

It should be noted at mention of Tweed River Music Fest - that, this is actually a grass-roots music festival that these guys put together essentially themselves featuring local musicians and dispensing with any semblance of commercial pretense:

Tweed River Music Festival: http://tweedrivermusicfestival.com/about/
"The great thing about this particular event is that it is being put on by musicians donating there time, there is no big promoter trying to make a buck, and the cost of admissions is to cover the necessities"

Here's Trainwreck performing at last year's festival (the track is "Suicide Kings" from the new record):

Here's a link to a flickr stream of some photos of Bow and the band:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bowthayer/with/5160014695/

Fat Necklace:

This little ol' gem is a pluperfect slice of Americana if there ever was one:
Donna Lee (The Benders):

Here's the traditional (famously covered by Doc Watson) "Little Sadie":

More of Bow's prolific discography (there isn't a dud among these):
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"In The Pines" (traditional/Leadbelly - also notably covered by The Louvin Brothers)

"Diesel Jane"

"R U Willin"

"The Next Equation"

Alright y'all... Peace & happy listening,

StevieRay
Last edited by StevieRay on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StevieRay

Re: Artist Of The Week 2.7.2011 Bow Thayer & Perfect Trainwr

Post by StevieRay »

I had the privilege to catch Perfect Trainwreck live last night in Manchester, VT. - AND: felt validated on my choice of this band for 3DD AOTW when, to my astonishment, into the venue walked 3DD's very own bold99 and Penny Lane!! We all had a tremendous and memorable evening. Their opener was a band from Brooklyn called "The Waylons" - they were also terrific and left me wanting to hear more. Not only was the show outstanding, but, we were delighted to find that Bow and the guys are highly approachable, down-to-earth, and just all-around tremendous folks. We stayed up very very late with the band post show and I was even able to spin "Go-Go Boots" for them! ...They're fans.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

wow great work - and I've never heard of them! Def be checking them out.
Bravo
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Nice job Stevie. Thanks.

I've been curious about these guys for a little while and now feel up to speed on the basics and ready to dive in.

When I saw that some 3dd'ers were attending I almost made the trip over to the Manchester show (only about an hour away from me) but couldn't make it work. He's close enough though that I should have the chance to see him before too long.
Beebs is not a ragey man

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Nice job and great hanging with you guys!

I cannot recommend this band enough. I've been a fan since the Benders and i've seen these guys a ton over the last few years including last year at the Tweed River Music Festival. They deserve to be at the next level. They should be opening for DBT and beyond. They are one of my favorite bands by far...to me they are like the best of the North.

I actually know Bow a little through friends and had the pleasure of checking out DBT with him last summer at the Nateva Festival in Maine and he's a big DBT fan...and just a great guy. Totally down to earth and easy to talk to.

Go check these guys out immediately and tell your friends..you will not be disappointed. Just a kick ass band!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Great seeing you, Stevie! I was pretty stoked, because that was such a random festival and didn't even know I was going till last week (I heard BARN and couldn't say no!). Thanks for a great write-up! I hope these guys get the attention they deserve. Great seeing you post show-hanging out with the band, what a great gift your lady gave you :-) (also great taste in music)...

The Waylons were good, too, I hope they play NYC soon, I like that kind of low-fi rock.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

Suggested Mix:
1.Got My Attention / Spend It All
2.Snake Bite / Spend It All
3.Stoned Kid / Spend It All
4.10,000 Beer Cans / Spend It All
5.Buffalo Joe / Bottom Of The Sky
6.Suicide Kings / Bottom Of The Sky
7.Meanwhile In The Here And Now / Bow Thayer And Perfect Trainwreck
8.In The Pines / Bow Thayer And Perfect Trainwreck
9.Next Equation / Bow Thayer And Perfect Trainwreck
10.When You Love Somebody / Bow Thayer And Perfect Trainwreck
11.Catskill Stone / Shooting Arrows At The Moon
12.Harpoon Song / Shooting Arrows At The Moon
13.Dawning / Shooting Arrows At The Moon
14.Get Lost Again / Driftwood Periodicals, Vol.I
15.Sweet Combustion / Driftwood Periodicals, Vol.I
16.Windsor County Wind / Driftwood Periodicals, Vol.I
17.Tuck And Roll / Maintenance For Mood Swings
18.To Live, Freak And Die on Route 89 / Maintenance For Mood Swings
19.Double Yellow / Mountain Radio (The Benders)
20.Can't Wait To See You Again / Mountain Radio (The Benders)
21.Stole My Tools / The Benders
22.New Mexican Chain Saw Massacre / The Benders
23.Alex Lowe (Invincible) / Somewhereville (Bow Thayer And The Euphorians)
24.Good Times In Lucky Town / Somewhereville (Bow Thayer And The Euphorians)
25.Fastway / Hog The Bed (Elbow)
26.Hog The Bed / Hog The Bed (Elbow)
Last edited by StevieRay on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

I was really impressed that Bow was so generous with his time hanging out with all of us the other night. We shared roughly parallel recollections of Grateful Dead experiences - and, discussed our shared reverence for the late Jerry Garcia. He related to me also that he actually was in a more punk oriented band in the earlier '90's that once opened for Fugazi. When I mentioned his hilarious quote about Jeff Tweedy in the above referenced article - he clarified: no disrespect intended... he's a big fan; and, in fact he recalled meeting Jeff and Sue Miller when his band (the name of which I cannot remember) played at Lounge Axe in Chicago in '93. "Elbow" was the name of his band in the later '90's - and, might be still but for another act in UK with the same name.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

StevieRay wrote:I was really impressed that Bow was so generous with his time hanging out with all of us the other night. We shared roughly parallel recollections of Grateful Dead experiences - and, discussed our shared reverence for the late Jerry Garcia. He related to me also that he actually was in a more punk oriented band in the earlier '90's that once opened for Fugazi. When I mentioned his hilarious quote about Jeff Tweedy in the above referenced article - he clarified: no disrespect intended... he's a big fan; and, in fact he recalled meeting Jeff and Sue Miller when his band (the name of which I cannot remember) played at Lounge Axe in Chicago in '93. "Elbow" was the name of his band in the later '90's - and, might be still but for another act in UK with the same name.

Yeah he actually talked to me for a while about Uncle Tupelo and said they were one of his favorite bands ever. I had a chance to see The Benders renuion last year at the Tweed fest and wow..was that a show. Unreal band.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Sign me up as a new fan Stevie Ray. Killer write-up! Thanks.
Not forever, just for now.

Garciadann

Post by Garciadann »

This is a great article on Bow Thayer and PTW I really like to see someone dig deep like this.Bow Thayer is a prime example of the powers to be [major labels ,booking agents] Texting at the Wheel and not paying attention to real independent artist. It seems they would rather create a band similar to a hot band on another label than search for the real deal.
He has so many critically acclaimed cd's and not one bad review. "Next johnny Cash" and" Bow does not know how to write a bad song " are just 2 quotes in a scroll worth.
The earlier band of Bow's that opened for Fugazi, Green Day,Pear Jam and many others mentioned in article was 7 League Boots out of Boston.They were a big influence on Rage Against The Machine .I remember watching a tv interview of Rage many moons ago and one of them had on a Boot's t-shirt.Who else in music can have 1 degree of separation between RAGE & LEVON ??
As a long time fan of Bow's I hope your article reaches the masses because they deserve to meet their new favorite band.Next to Drive by Truckers that is hahaaha
Last edited by Garciadann on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

Garciadann wrote:7 League Boots

Thank you GD! Welcome to 3DD. I was getting embarrassed because I kept asking Bow to repeat that name - and, for whatever reason I could not get it to stick in the ol' noggin.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Awesome writeup Stevie. I just downloaded Bottom of the Sky. Almost done with first listen. Wasn't what I expected at all. It is very cool and the songs go all over the place. Much more jammy-dead than I was expecting. Not that that is a bad thing. I definitely wanna hear more.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

lajakesdad wrote:...Much more jammy-dead...

No doubt the song "Dawning" on the new LP goes in a kind of American Beauty direction. At 4:25mins that's the longest track on the album. The song right after it "Good Time To Holler" evokes Little Feat in a HUGE way.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

StevieRay wrote:I was really impressed that Bow was so generous with his time hanging out with all of us the other night. We shared roughly parallel recollections of Grateful Dead experiences - and, discussed our shared reverence for the late Jerry Garcia. He related to me also that he actually was in a more punk oriented band in the earlier '90's that once opened for Fugazi. When I mentioned his hilarious quote about Jeff Tweedy in the above referenced article - he clarified: no disrespect intended... he's a big fan; and, in fact he recalled meeting Jeff and Sue Miller when his band (the name of which I cannot remember) played at Lounge Axe in Chicago in '93. "Elbow" was the name of his band in the later '90's - and, might be still but for another act in UK with the same name.

the best part about the 'after party' in Bow's room was watching him hear Go Go Boots for the first time...he was loving it.

just started listening to the Levon album this morning, it's terrific..i love the story of them making it..

thanks, again Stevie--great write up.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

for those in the Boston area....Bow and his other band the Holy Plow are at Precinct Bar in Somerville, MA this Friday night.

also a can't miss show...Bow and the Trainwreck are opening up for ROADSAW at their cd release party at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA saturday 4/16. ROADSAW played Tweed River Fest last year and absolutely killed..this is going to be a great show.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

bold99 wrote:also a can't miss show...Bow and the Trainwreck are opening up for ROADSAW at their cd release party at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA saturday 4/16. ROADSAW played Tweed River Fest last year and absolutely killed..this is going to be a great show.

that's marathon weekend, i'll be there! sweet...

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

Penny Lane wrote:watching him hear Go Go Boots for the first time...he was loving it.

just started listening to the Levon album this morning, it's terrific..i love the story of them making it..

All those guys seemed to be enjoying Go-Go Boots. What a great time that was all the way around!

RE: Spend It All...WOW was and still is my reaction. It just blows my mind that those tracks are almost all first cuts, and, that Levon had not even heard so much as a demo prior to the session. The Songs "Got My Attention," "Snake Bite," "Stoned Kid," and "10,000 Beer Cans" are my absolute favorites... and the whole album is just so even, and, at such a truly high level musically. Also: it just plain puts a smile on my face to think of Richard Manuel giving the advice "Spend It All."

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

bold99 wrote:his other band the Holy Plow

He's got ANOTHER band? ....mercy.

Garciadann

Post by Garciadann »

StevieRay wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:watching him hear Go Go Boots for the first time...he was loving it.

All those guys seemed to be enjoying Go-Go Boots. What a great time that was all the way around!

RE: Spend It All...WOW was and still is my reaction. It just blows my mind that those tracks are almost all first cuts, and, that Levon had not even heard so much as a demo prior to the session. The Songs "Got My Attention," "Snake Bite," "Stoned Kid," and "10,000 Beer Cans" are my absolute favorites... and the whole album is just so even, and, at such a truly high level musically. Also: it just plain puts a smile on my face to think of Richard Manuel giving the advice "Spend It All."

LEVON IS NOT THE ONLY GUEST on Spend it All , playing sax is MORPHINE'S Dana Colley !!!

Garciadann

Post by Garciadann »

StevieRay wrote:
bold99 wrote:his other band the Holy Plow

He's got ANOTHER band? ....mercy.

Holy Plow is acoustic trio their album Shooting Arrows at the moon written by Bow was on a couple of best of the year lists. He also does a live power duo Electric banjo with multi effects and Jeff Berlin on drums.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

when StevieRay speaks...
listen up

thanks for the turn on
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Another band Bow sits in with is Session Americana...amazing supergroup of musicians who do tradional covers, The Band, Dead and originals. They usually have a guest musician for the 2nd set and I caught Bow about a month ago. If you ever get a chance to see these guys do it. www.sessionamericana.com. There are youtube video's of Bow playing with them but I don't have access right now.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

bold99

Post by bold99 »

StevieRay, I'm friends with Bow on FB so I forward him this link and he just wrote me back..hope you don't mind, I wasn't sure if you were friends with him on there or not but I wanted him to see it..good job!

Thanks a billion Michael! this should help us a bunch when we tour down south April/May. See you at the Middelbury Town hall show March 5th hopefully. - Bow

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Thanks SR! Think I'll start with the Levon one this week. Looking forward to seeing you soon!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know if our ms lane is a bad penny or a good penny, but she sure keeps popping up all over the damn place! :) ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

oh geez...i don't want them posted either...only the good pics... :o :?
he did sign my cd "Hoboken f-in rules!" ...

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

A huge thanks to all for reading/listening!

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

New album Eden out Tues: