Lucinda Williams' new one "Blessed"

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Lucinda Williams' new one "Blessed"

Post by Clams »

Not out till March 1, but here's an early review from No Depression. Sounds really good.
http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/bl ... blessed-by
Can't wait to hear it.
If you don't run you rust

pearlysnaps

Re: Lucinda Williams' new one "Blessed"

Post by pearlysnaps »

Very excite! I can't wait to hear this one.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A couple of new tracks are streaming on Lu's website

http://www.lucindawilliams.com/

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/

nice interview with lucinda discussing her new lp.

additionally, an excellent write up on ggb thrown in for good measure.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I kinda thought folks here already knew about this but for those that don't, the entire record is streaming on NPR's website until it's release on March 1st. I listened yesterday and liked it well enough but I won't be buying it. I haven't really liked anything she's released since Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (yes, I know). I prefer her pre-Car Wheels stuff to anything she's put out since then.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/

Working the slow-burn, Go-Go Boots is a grower—and one that promises to scratch the late-night itch. It’s an album you’ll pull from the shelves time and again after the guests have all gone home but before all the ice has melted. It’s one for the magic hour when there are a couple drinks left to be had.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A positive review is a positive review, for sure, but how can one think that go go boots, fireplace poker and the wig he made her wear are about the same, not similarly themed, but the same, events? In one, the non-philandering (as far as we know; he got his rocks off w/ his wife 'cause he made her do the things ggb's preacher's wife wouldn't) preacher gets offed by his wife; in the other 2 the philandering preacher has his wife killed. More than a hair splitting difference, no?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I kinda thought folks here already knew about this but for those that don't, the entire record is streaming on NPR's website until it's release on March 1st. I listened yesterday and liked it well enough but I won't be buying it. I haven't really liked anything she's released since Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (yes, I know). I prefer her pre-Car Wheels stuff to anything she's put out since then.

Didn't know about that
thanks for the info and link

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Car Wheels opened my eyes and turned me on to Lucinda. Thanks for the links, Blessed sounds like it will be one of her best.
Not forever, just for now.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:

A positive review is a positive review, for sure, but how can one think that go go boots, fireplace poker and the wig he made her wear are about the same, not similarly themed, but the same, events? In one, the non-philandering (as far as we know; he got his rocks off w/ his wife 'cause he made her do the things ggb's preacher's wife wouldn't) preacher gets offed by his wife; in the other 2 the philandering preacher has his wife killed. More than a hair splitting difference, no?

It does make you wonder how closely he listened; but I'll give him a pass, that AD fucker covers so much music I can't even keep up with his posts.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Smitty wrote:It does make you wonder how closely he listened; but I'll give him a pass, that AD fucker covers so much music I can't even keep up with his posts.

Started out as just one guy (Justin Gage), but I think there are several contributors these days. Justin is also the founder of Autumn Tone Records.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

gerg

Post by gerg »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I kinda thought folks here already knew about this but for those that don't, the entire record is streaming on NPR's website until it's release on March 1st. I listened yesterday and liked it well enough but I won't be buying it. I haven't really liked anything she's released since Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (yes, I know). I prefer her pre-Car Wheels stuff to anything she's put out since then.

Agree. I don't care for her attitude. She was apparently rude at the show here not too long ago because she was more concerned with the people who didn't show up than the few people who did. She just strikes me as a malcontent.

Clams

Post by Clams »

gerg wrote:

Agree. I don't care for her attitude. She was apparently rude at the show here not too long ago because she was more concerned with the people who didn't show up than the few people who did. She just strikes me as a malcontent.

That's hard to believe. She can be a little wordy and she's known to rant about stuff, and sometimes she gets a little tipsy, but I've never seen her be rude or a malcontent. Not sure about the show you saw Gerg, but the several times I've seen her she's always been very kind to her audience.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I think some of her best work has been post-Car Wheels. World Without Tears is one of my favorite albums; I'll def be picking this up, I've been listening to it and it sounds like her best since WWT. Didn't care for the last one and West had a couple good songs but nothing special.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

gerg wrote:

I've only seen her live twice. The first time was at SXSW 2001 during the Lost Highway showcase when she played Essence all the way through. I feel asleep but there were several mitigating factors at work; the record is slow, it was a long night as Tift Merritt, Ryan Adams and several others were also on the bill, etc. The second time was a few years later at ACL Fest. She was on fire musically and cursing like a sailor which she attributed to tripping on purple microdot. I've heard a few songs post Car Wheels that I really like but not an entire album that keeps my interest all the way through. That probably speaks more to Car Wheels' strengths than those other records' weaknesses. She set the bar so high with that one it will be impossible for her to ever top it. That's a nice problem to have.

Clams

Post by Clams »

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

First listen:

Sounds terrific to my ears so far.

Hard to be objective. I'm a completist with regard to her catalog - I've never not picked up an album of hers, and, although some are better than others - I find that she's just one of those artists who gets through to me no matter what she does. I've seen her live quite a bit, and, I've witnessed (and somewhat admire) that cantankerous streak she has. No fear, and, no compromise. She's a transcendent and creative songwriter with a sultry and beautiful vocal delivery: and, she always has a crack band. Amazing lyricist.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

one of my favorite artists...I feel like every album has something to offer and is different from the one before. Loved Little Honey and West. Streamed this one the other day and really liked it..can't wait to pick it up.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Just made a dash to my local vinyl emporium to pick up some new stuff, this one especially. By 11:15 a.m. in mid-Missouri, they were already sold out of all the vinyl. (And yes, they had more than one copy.) Bummed I missed out, but glad Lu's getting some sales.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I scored a cd at Best Buy. Usually I don't buy my music from Best Buy. But isn't Lucinda married to the CEO or something? I figured if any artist wouldn't be getting ripped of by Best Buy it would be her.

The album has a nice, smokey, bluesey vibe to it. Lots of Hammond organ.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Clams wrote:
gerg wrote:

That's hard to believe. She can be a little wordy and she's known to rant about stuff, and sometimes she gets a little tipsy, but I've never seen her be rude or a malcontent. Not sure about the show you saw Gerg, but the several times I've seen her she's always been very kind to her audience.

she is on my bucket-list but i've heard her shows are hit or miss ..(this is told me by her biggest fans)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

"Blessed" is a free track on iTunes right now.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

I'm with clams on this one. I've seen her 3 times. Once opening for Neil on the Greendale tour and twice with her headlining. The two times I saw her headline i was more disappointed in the crowd than she was. I can't count how many times the thanked the people that were there for coming out. She was very gracious and engaging with the crowd.
And not a weak show in the 3. Her show opening for Neil was one of the best opener/headline combinations I've ever seen. (hmmm...i feel a quicklist comin on)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:"Blessed" is a free track on iTunes right now.

The jam at the end of this song is OUTSTANDING, TREMENDOUS, I mean really really special. I suggest using that free download ^^^^^^ asap.