Artist of the Week 01/24/11 - The Avett Brothers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Artist of the Week 01/24/11 - The Avett Brothers

Post by Zip City »

WARNING: If you require your music to be angry, to be ugly, to be full of hate or meanness or spite, then The Avett Brothers aren't the band for you.

Scott and Seth Avett (pronounced "AY-vit") hail from Concord, NC. Both played in various hard rock/punk bands in the late 90's/early 00's before starting to write acoustic music together. They now stand as one of the driving forces of Americana/Folk music in the 21st Century. The Avett Brothers combine bluegrass, country, punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, honky tonk, and ragtime to produce a sound described by the San Francisco Chronicle as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones."

The Brothers are multi-instrumentalists; though Scott tends to play Banjo and Seth the acoustic guitar, both play drums and piano as well. While some songs employ a full drum kit, many simply use a kick drum and hi-hat, which the brothers play while strumming their main instruments.

The band has grown like so many of 3DD's favorites; relentless touring, self-produced albums.....a work ethic and attitude that demands attention. In 10 years, the brothers have released 6 studio albums, 4 EP's, and 3 live albums, all while constantly touring and growing their fan base. They've grown from a regional act to a band with a national and global following, catching the notice of critics and music magazines. After winning the Americana Music Association's Best Duo/Group and New Emerging Artist Awards in 2007, they were named Rolling Stone's "The Artist to Watch" for 2009. Opening slots on tours with Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic and John Mayer further grew their audience, leading to their major label debut, 2008's "I and Love and You", produced by the legendary Rick Rubin. In 2009, they played Bonnaroo, and they recorded an episode of Austin City Limits in January of 2010.

What hooked me on the Avett Brothers was their spirit; their songs (and their shows) are brimming with joy and positivity, but with a sincerity that keeps it from devolving into hippy stereotypes or saccharine schmaltz. They tackle the typical country memes of lost love, drinking, death and struggle, but always with an eye for the silver lining. They find the joy in life and the beauty in sorrow.

In "When I Drink," Seth sings confesses that alcohol makes him talk mean to his lover, to have "fistfights with the air." He rues the fact that

I spend the next morning in a haze
But we only get so many days
Now I have one less

but realizes that

Maybe I don't have to be good but I can try to be
At least a little better than I've been so far

One of the band's most popular tunes is "Murder in the City," a song that reads as Scott's letter to his family about what to do should he be killed. He pleads for his family to not take revenge, but to know that he loved them. With the birth of his daughter, Scott has evolved the song to become even more personal, changing the lyric:

Make sure my sister knows I loved her
Make sure my mother knows the same

to

Make sure my daughter knows I loved her
Maker sure her mother knows the same

It's a beautiful sentiment that seems to resonate with everybody who hears it

But not every Avett Brothers song is slow and sentimental. The band can also crank up the energy, most famously in their crowd favorite "Talk on Indolence"

The sky seems to be the limit for The Avett Brothers, who are now drawing thousands of fans to their shows and are gaining popularity with each passing day. If you have the opportunity to see them live, DO NOT pass it up. They put on one of the best live shows around.

We came for Salvation
We came for family
We came for all that's good, that's how we'll walk away

We came to break the bad
We came to cheer the sad
We came to leave behind the world a better way

DISCOGRAPHY:

The Avett Bros. - 2000
Country Was - 2002
Live at the Double Door Inn - 2002
A Carolina Jubilee - 2003
Untitled EP - 2003
Swept Away EP - 2004
Mignonette - 2004
Live, Vol. 2 - 2005
Four Thieves Gone: The Robinnsville Sessions - 2006
The Gleam - 2006
Emotionalism - 2007
The Second Gleam - 2008
I and Love and You - 2009
Live, Volume 3 - 2010

COMPILATIONS

"Spanish Pipedream" on Broken Hearts & Dirty Mirrors: Songs of John Prine

OTHER LINKS

Official Website
Avett Brothers on Austin City Limits
Avett Brothers YouTube Channel
Avett Brothers on Wikipedia
Avett Brothers on Daytrotter

Zip City's Avett Brothers Sampler

1. Pretty Girl From Matthews (Live)
2. I Killed Sally's Lover
3. The Ballad of Love and Hate
4. Colorshow
5. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise
6. Talk on Indolence (Live)
7. When I Drink
8. One Line Wonder
9. Murder in the City
10. Love Like the Movies (Live)
11. I and Love and You
12. A Lover Like You
13. The Weight of Lies
14. Distraction #74
15. Hard Worker
16. Slight Figure of Speech
17. Salvation Song (Live)

Sampler Link
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

lajakesdad

Re: Artist of the Week 01/24/11 - The Avett Brothers

Post by lajakesdad »

Awesome job Zip. I LOVE the Avett Brothers and found them through this place. Started with I and Love and You and now I have em all. Favorites are Emotionalism and Mignonette. Both Gleams are also sweet.

SandyBritches

Post by SandyBritches »

Good write up. The Avetts are one of my favorites, and my wife's ABSOLUTE favorite.

They put on one hell of a live show - definitely a top 5 touring band in America right now in my opinion.

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

WAAAYYYY up there on the "Need-to-see" list.
Emotionalism is my fav. as well. Just the complete package of songs

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

Great job Zip. Love the Avetts. I was listening to Live Volume 3 on the way to work today. Just a great band with some wonderful songs.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Clams

Post by Clams »

Excellent job, Zip. Thanks for the sampler. I love samplers.
If you don't run you rust

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Nice stuff here Zip. My roommate gave me the lowdown tonight on these guys. Then I look and see this. Appreciate the time and effort.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

nice work, Zip.

I've seen them a handful of times and was lucky enough to see them in small venues.

Here's a video I took a few years back at the Sierra Nevada Brewery Big Room.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Great job, Zip; I like a couple of their songs and really dig the 2nd Gleam EP, but overall I really can't get into them - after reading this I'm gonna give it another try, tho - I really love "If I Get Murdered in the City", great song.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Dolph Ramseur used to push them heavily on the Guitartown email list which may have helped build their hype in the area but it had the very opposite effect on me. It turned me off of the Avetts in a big way. I have heard a few of their songs but still fail to see what all of the fuss is about. That said, I don't rule out seeing them live someday. My niece loves them and I've promised to attend a show with her someday. She went to see the Gourds with me at Shakori Hills a few years ago and she loved them so I do owe her the favor. They definitely blew up here in a big way. It seems like one day they were playing the back patio at Sadlack's and the next thing I knew they were selling out Walnut Creek. They also recently had a record sell out at the Cat's Cradle. It was sort of a clandestine show but nearly as soon as it was announced, all of the tickets were sold.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Dolph Ramseur used to push them heavily on the Guitartown email list which may have helped build their hype in the area but it had the very opposite effect on me. It turned me off of the Avetts in a big way. I have heard a few of their songs but still fail to see what all of the fuss is about. That said, I don't rule out seeing them live someday. My niece loves them and I've promised to attend a show with her someday. She went to see the Gourds with me at Shakori Hills a few years ago and she loved them so I do owe her the favor. They definitely blew up here in a big way. It seems like one day they were playing the back patio at Sadlack's and the next thing I knew they were selling out Walnut Creek. They also recently had a record sell out at the Cat's Cradle. It was sort of a clandestine show but nearly as soon as it was announced, all of the tickets were sold.

I feel mostly the same way; what surprises me is all the talk of how great their shows are - from what I've heard on their records, they don't exactly strike me as a band I'd want to see live...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Dolph Ramseur used to push them heavily on the Guitartown email list which may have helped build their hype in the area but it had the very opposite effect on me. It turned me off of the Avetts in a big way. I have heard a few of their songs but still fail to see what all of the fuss is about. That said, I don't rule out seeing them live someday. My niece loves them and I've promised to attend a show with her someday. She went to see the Gourds with me at Shakori Hills a few years ago and she loved them so I do owe her the favor. They definitely blew up here in a big way. It seems like one day they were playing the back patio at Sadlack's and the next thing I knew they were selling out Walnut Creek. They also recently had a record sell out at the Cat's Cradle. It was sort of a clandestine show but nearly as soon as it was announced, all of the tickets were sold.

I feel mostly the same way; what surprises me is all the talk of how great their shows are - from what I've heard on their records, they don't exactly strike me as a band I'd want to see live...

The first thing someone played me was a tune from Mignonette which had a slow as molasses, chamber pop feel (not that there's anything the matter with that) but their reputation as a live band has been sealed on the punk rock energy of their shows; band members flailing about the stage, falling down, breaking strings, etc. Then with I And Love And You they seemed to throw some fans off by returning to more of that subdued, chamber pop sound. It was as if that sound was totally out of left field for them. That goes to show they were some of the fans that came onboard due to the raucous nature of their shows and simply weren't accustomed to that mellower side of their sound. Reports from their Cat's Cradle show had grown men crying as they watched the Avett's in awe as if they were some kind of second coming. That's an aspect of people's fandom for them that I have a hard time fathoming. They have definitely earned every bit of their success and I wish them the best but I'm not so sure they're my cup of tea. Still, I would like to give them a chance in a live setting someday. It's just when any band has been hyped that much, it's going to be next to impossible for them to live up to it and believe you me, they've been hyped beyond belief in my neck of the woods.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I understand the fear of hype. I wouldn't say they're the best live act ever, but they connect with the audience in a very sincere way and their energy is infectious.

Live Volume 3 is a fantastic glimpse of their concert experience

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I love the Avett Brothers. I've had Emotionalism and I and Love and You on rotation for the last month. I was very against Rick Rubin producing them, but that turned out really well and it only gets better with age. Also, lyrically they resonate with me..at least lately..seen them a bunch of times, always a fun show...

Shame (Emotionalism)
I felt so sure of everything
My love to you so well received
And I just strutted around your town
Knowing I didn’t let you down
The truth be known, the truth be told
My heart was always fairly cold
Posing to be as warm as yours
My way of getting in your world
But now I’m out and I’ve had time
To look around and think
And sink into another world
That’s filled with guilt and overwhelming

Shame, boatloads of shame
Day after day, more of the same
Blame, please lift it off
Please take it off, please make it stop

Ill with Want (I and Love and You)
Temporary is my time, ain't nothing on this world that's mine
Except the will I found to carry on
Free is not your right to chose
It's answering what's asked of you
To give the love you find until it's gone

Incomplete and Insecure (I and Love and You)
Will I ever know silence, without mental violence
Will the ringing at night go away?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I want to have pride like my mother had
And not like the kind in the bible that turns you bad

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I wonder which brother is better
Which one our parents love the most
I sure did get in lots of trouble
They seemed to let the other go

A tear fell from my father’s eyes
I wondered what my dad would say
He said I love you
And I’m proud of you both, in so many different ways

FlounderinDC

Post by FlounderinDC »

Excellent post and videos. Love these guys....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

from the show I saw this past summer:

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

great write up zip! i've been a fan of theirs for years & have seen them a couple of times live. they put on a very high energy show & in some ways it's like seeing a dbt show with most of the crowd singing along with every word. i have to admit the last album, i & love & you, has turned me off them a lil bit, it's too polished & too piano driven for my tastes. they're still great songs but a bit too poppy for me. but one thing that has always struck me about them, new album included, is their sincerity. if you just go by reading their lyrics, they can sometimes seem over the top & naive but seeing them live & talking to them, you really get the sense that they mean it, they really are nice, sincere guys who go out of the way for their fans and you just got to respect that.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

one of my favorites...

Swept Away

Well you send my life a whirling
Darling when you're twirling
On the floor
Who cares about tomorrow?
What more is tomorrow?
Than another day.

When you swept me away
Yeah you swept me away
La la la la la la la la
La la la la la la la la

I see the end of the rainbow
But what more is a rainbow
Than colors out of reach
If you come down to my window
And I climb out my window
Then we'll get out of reach

Then you swept me away
Yeah you swept me away

You said with such honest feeling
But what'd you really mean
When you said that I'm your man
Well how my darling can it be
When you have never seen me
And you never will again

That you swept me away
Yeah you swept me away

Well life is ever changing
But I will always find a constant
And comfort in your love
With your heart my soul is bound
And as we dance I know
That heaven will be found

Well you send my life a whirling
Darling when you're twirling
On the floor
And who cares about tomorrow?
Girl, what more is tomorrow?
Than another day.

When you swept me away
Yeah you swept me away
Yeah you swept me away
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Love writes a letter, and sends it to Hate

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Didn't they open for the Truckers once...or a few times? Think I remember seeing a poster.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Didn't they open for the Truckers once...or a few times? Think I remember seeing a poster.

yea, i think they opened up for them at a show in baltimore a couple years back...
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sure it wasn't the Felice Brothers?
Last edited by Zip City on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

The weight of lies will bring you down

And follow you to every town

Cause nothing happens here that doesn’t happen there

So when you run make sure you run

To something and not away from

Cause lies don’t need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

Reports are coming in via FB that strains of an Avett Brothers song were heard during American Idle tonight...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Reports are coming in via FB that strains of an Avett Brothers song were heard during American Idle tonight...

Huh. I'll have to look for that when the kids watch it off the DVR tomorrow

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Reports are coming in via FB that strains of an Avett Brothers song were heard during American Idle tonight...

They used a song as background music. MMJ too. Here I was thinking that someone sang an Avett Brothers song in their audition

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

saw them twice last year, once at newport folk fest and once at radio city

great studio band, even better live. catch them when you can.

they are playing mountain jam with my morning jacket in june along with many other great bands. sure to be an early summer highlight.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

headhunter wrote:
they are playing mountain jam with my morning jacket in june along with many other great bands. sure to be an early summer highlight.

and i shall be there, too! gonna be a great festival! :D
In my blood, there's gasoline..