3DD Artist of the Week, 5/3/10--Television

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

scotto

3DD Artist of the Week, 5/3/10--Television

Post by scotto »

Television

At a time when their contemporaries tossed off short, sharp shocks in three chords or less, Television were known for spinning out long improvised jams, intricate guitar interplay, and lyrics that verged on the poetic. Their guitar work is tremendous and their first album is a cult-fave and critics-pick classic. And if you like Neil Young, you should like Television.

Bear with me.

Though they were originally dismissed as “the Grateful Dead of punk,” they actually come closer to Crazy Horse. In fact, Tom Verlaine was the first artist of his era to credit Neil as a major influence. Check out the title track from Marquee Moon. Now go listen to “Cowgirl in the Sand.” OK, they don’t sound exactly the same, and the obvious punk vibe of Television (not to mention the use of Fenders instead of Gibsons) is a glaring contrast. But the swirling guitars, the loping rhythms, the oblique, almost hypnotic lyrics--there’s a resemblance, no? Marquee Moon is the Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere of the late '70s.

Released in 1977 to very little notice (except in the UK, where it nearly cracked the top 20), Marquee Moon is now a regular on best-of lists. If you’ve never heard it--or didn’t hear it until well after “alternative” was mainstream, you may well wonder what all the fuss is about. But hearing it for the first time, back when Rod Stewart ruled the airwaves and punk songs were fast and angry, Marquee Moon was nothing short of revelatory.

The band’s second release, Adventure, came out a year later to even less fanfare, except in Britain (natch) where it hit No. 7. (The band regrouped in 1992 for a tour and new album, which provided a few good moments, but the magic was obviously gone.)

Compared to Marquee Moon, which featured spare production that gave the songs a brittle, tense feel, Adventure sounds almost lush, with overdubbed keyboards and vocals, and even more dreamy lyricism. Although Verlaine and Richard Lloyd still engage in dueling guitar lines, the album lacks some of the nervous tension of Marquee Moon; the overall feel is farther removed from the jittery punk sound that most underground music fans wanted circa 1978. (One exception, “Foxhole,” predates Marquee Moon.) Also, the band was splintering during the sessions for Adventure and disbanded soon after its release. Many consider the album a weak followup, which is unfortunate. And wrong.

The songs and performances on Adventure are stronger, the production and recording more fully realized. And the tunes--especially “Days” and “Carried Away”--have Verlaine channeling Shakey front and center. At least that’s how it sounds to me; but I could be full of beans.

What do you think?

cortez the killer

Re: 3DD Artist of the Week, 5/3/10--Television

Post by cortez the killer »

I am familiar with these guys more in name than sound. Marquee Moon is a frequent occupier of many a critic's "Best of" list. Something about them, their look, the cover to MM, screamed "art rock" to me. I naively assumed they were some Warholian VU knock-off band. Based on your write-up, I'm definitely going to check out Marquee Moon. Nice work scotto.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Nice, scotto. I have nothing to add to your fine review except that the album cover of Marquee Moon haunts me for some reason. It's a portrait of the band photographed by Robert Mapplethorpe:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice, Scotto. The only thing i would add is that Live From the Old Waldorf, which has some cultish history as a "great lost album" the details of which i forget, is now pretty easily available on cd and is very much worth checking out. I remember liking Adventure but always choose Marquee Moon or the live one when I want to listen to the band, so you've motivated me to go back to that one.

And I agree about the pic, Uncle Rickey.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

cortez the killer wrote:Something about them, their look, the cover to MM, screamed "art rock" to me. I naively assumed they were some Warholian VU knock-off band.

Well, like most of the late-70s class of CBGBs bands, they definitely owe something to the Velvets and art school, but they were also considered more prog-rock influenced--something I never picked up on (or maybe just didn't want to).
As for the cover, I believe was the first (or among the first) to use a color Xerox image, something that quickly became a new wave cliche.

cortez the killer

scotto wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Something about them, their look, the cover to MM, screamed "art rock" to me. I naively assumed they were some Warholian VU knock-off band.

Well, like most of the late-70s class of CBGBs bands, they definitely owe something to the Velvets and art school, but they were also considered more prog-rock influenced--something I never picked up on (or maybe just didn't want to).
As for the cover, I believe was the first (or among the first) to use a color Xerox image, something that quickly became a new wave cliche.

Makes perfect sense. Also, hear a strong Talking Heads vibe in their music. It's especially strong on "Elevation."
- DPM

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Nice write-up Scotto. I got into Televison when bands I loved in the 80's like Echo & The Bunnymen, Lloyd Cole, etc. were always covering them. (The Bunnymen's version of Friction is just alsum) I have nothing to add really except if you like killer guitars check em out. Also the live record The Blow-Up is very, very good.

BTB, how did you get a copy of the live at the Waldorf? I tried to get that when it came out but it went out of print immediately and I believe it is still pretty expensive.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

Marquee Moon is great, one of the best albums from the punk movement, despite not being very "punk" in sound. Adventure is good too from what I can remember (which isn't much) and the Old Waldorf live album is great. I don't listen to them nearly as much as I should.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I like Adventure but it is not quite up to Marquee Moon; although one of those snooty U.K. music magazines (I think it was Q) recently named it the greatest album of all time. :o Over Marquee Moon?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gator McKlusky wrote:I like Adventure but it is not quite up to Marquee Moon; although one of those snooty U.K. music magazines (I think it was Q) recently named it the greatest album of all time. :o Over Marquee Moon?

That's why i have a pile of unopened Q magazines about 8 issues high, lol. Just waiting for the subscription to run out, which is too bad 'cause it didn't used to be like that, at least not to the current degree.

Don't remember exactly where I got Waldorf, but i know it was online. Possibly Amazon, more likely an ebay auction.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Yeah, I think they picked Adventure just to say "Look how cool we are when everybody else goes with marquee moon."

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:I am familiar with these guys more in name than sound. Marquee Moon is a frequent occupier of many a critic's "Best of" list. Something about them, their look, the cover to MM, screamed "art rock" to me. I naively assumed they were some Warholian VU knock-off band. Based on your write-up, I'm definitely going to check out Marquee Moon. Nice work scotto.

this.

nice work scotto.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Gator McKlusky wrote:The Bunnymen's version of Friction is just alsum.

Nice. Didn't know about that one. I'll definitely check it out.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

scotto wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:The Bunnymen's version of Friction is just alsum.

Nice. Didn't know about that one. I'll definitely check it out.

It's on this:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I was a fan of television. Never saw them in their heyday, but I did see both Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd solo. Richard Lloyd's album, Field of Fire is very good.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Great review... as someone unfamiliar with Television I'll check them out.

Also kudos to cortez for this idea. What a great way to explore new artists (or re-engage with artists you may not have listen to in awhile). And one artist a week is less overwhelming than the "What's Everyone Listening To?" thread.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

scotto

Post by scotto »

RevMatt wrote:I was a fan of television. Never saw them in their heyday, but I did see both Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd solo. Richard Lloyd's album, Field of Fire is very good.

I really like Lloyd's album Alchemy, which came out right after the breakup.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

One of my favorite bands ever. Saw them numerous times at CBGB including legendary double bill with Talking Heads. Fucking incredible
Always go to the show

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Thanks for the write up. I 'm unfamilar with these guys, but looking forward to checking them out tonight.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

You can also check out some of Lloyd on Matthew Sweet's Altered Beast
Always go to the show

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Jonicont wrote:You can also check out some of Lloyd on Matthew Sweet's Altered Beast

The first show i ever saw with my wife was Matthew Sweet on the very first leg of the 100% fun tour in early 1995. Loyd played on that part of the tour. By June of that year Ivan Julian had replaced him on lead guitar in Sweet's band.
Keep calm and have a cigar

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Jonicont wrote:One of my favorite bands ever. Saw them numerous times at CBGB including legendary double bill with Talking Heads. Fucking incredible

You are a very very lucky man.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Elizabeth Nelson on Marquee Moon for The Ringer. If you're not familiar with her contributions to The Ringer, Lawyers, Guns, and Money, Pitchfork, the New York Times, Oxford-American, etc. I highly suggest seeking them out. She's certainly among my favorite writers out there these days.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2022/4/ ... ZUaLBSRVGs

cortez the killer

scotto wrote:
Mon May 03, 2010 9:03 am
Marquee Moon is the Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere of the late '70s.
Amen!
- DPM

scotto

Post by scotto »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:34 pm
Elizabeth Nelson on Marquee Moon for The Ringer. If you're not familiar with her contributions to The Ringer, Lawyers, Guns, and Money, Pitchfork, the New York Times, Oxford-American, etc. I highly suggest seeking them out. She's certainly among my favorite writers out there these days.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2022/4/ ... ZUaLBSRVGs
Nice writeup. Thanks.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Goddammit.

cortez the killer

:(
- DPM