Artist of the Week 1.17.11 - Wooden Wand

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jimmyjack

Artist of the Week 1.17.11 - Wooden Wand

Post by jimmyjack »

Wooden Wand is James Jackson Toth, a singer / songwriter based in Eastern Kentucky. He has recorded for such labels as Kill Rock Stars, Ecstatic Peace!, Three Lobed, Troubleman, Rykodisc and 5RC and is currently signed to Michael Gira's Young God label. His most recent album, Death Seat, was engineered by Joey Kneiser of Glossary and Goose Trageser, and features performances by members of Glossary, Silver Jews, Lambchop and Mercury Rev. He has toured the world, sharing stages with artists such as Sonic Youth, Bright Eyes, Lisa Germano, Sunn0)) and Michael Hurley, and has worked with artists like Nels Cline (Wilco), Jon Tiven (Big Star), and Steve Fisk (Nirvana). According to his website, Toth is "a Virgo" who "enjoys sushi, Scrabble, and the music of Jerry Jeff Walker."

His recent project is a Kickstarter-funded collaboration with Duquette Johnston (Verbena) and his new band the Gum Creek Killers. The band is offering many cool gifts for pledging, ranging from signed LPs to a private show in your living room. Check it out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/655 ... ref=search

Beginning with his band Golden Calves in the mid-nineties, Toth briefly flirted with pop music with his band The Blood Group, before forming Wooden Wand & The Vanishing Voice. Though early Wooden Wand albums show Toth’s defiantly experimental tendencies, he has always considered himself a songwriter first. This is a track from one of his stronger releases, Second Attention, released by Kill Rock Stars in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAubmjAP68

Here he is with a full band, including Bingham Barnes of Glossary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQiKrjqxBXc

Here he is solo, performing a song that would eventually get released four years later, on his most recent album, Death Seat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01o0Ul1HRF4

Finally, a track from Death Seat (studio version of the song above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAHOglsO94

More info and tour dates here: http://www.woodenwand.org

Here's what his label boss Michael Gira has to say about him:

James Jackson Toth, AKA Wooden Wand is your fearless friend, the stumbling guy that goes out and gets himself into some incredibly fucked-up situations but comes out shining and lives to tell you all about it, entertaining you safely and immensely. You should be grateful. His songs are beautiful, indisputably, both musically and lyrically, and they’ll give you joy if you listen to them. In my view, he’s a great American songwriter in full bloom.

Most likely you’ll think that’s a preposterous claim, and I won’t blame you, but you’ll be totally, completely, and unforgivably wrong to think so. James is a natural. To me it’s obvious he’s animated with the same spirit that’s moved through Willie, Waylon, Merle, and Hank. Not to say he sounds like them, but his songs unfurl with a similar casual authority. There’s no space between who he is and the work he does—never without a guitar, and always writing or listening to/seeking out new music. He’s inhabited. If there were justice in this world, which there isn’t, he’d be on tour right now with Willie Nelson as an honored guest. He’s got that picaresque quality that Dylan had in his heyday, wherein the shambolic narrator undergoes various travails and epiphanies—harrowing, bleak and darkly comical—in the course of a narrative, then leaves you mystified, both smiling and sad.

I laugh out loud when I hear some of the lines in these songs, they’re just so immediate and vivid. The pathos sometimes can leave you, frankly, drained, but the language and the singing is effortless and without loaded portent—it goes down smooth. He’s got a million “zingers,” as he calls them—the sort of concise one- or two-line descriptions that set up the atmosphere for a song instantly. Really, if Nashville were a place where one could peddle great songs anymore, James would be the king of the place. He’s a passionate singer and guitar player and inhabits the songs as he performs them with straightforward, unpretentious, and confident gravitas. I’ve been listening to this record over and over for the last several months—we went through dozens of equally compelling songs before choosing the line up of tracks—and the more I listen, the more honored I am to be associated with James Jackson Toth.

Hoping fans of classic songwriting can find something to enjoy here!

-H Bleach, associate

dime in the gutter

Re: Artist of the Week 1.17.11 - Wooden Wand

Post by dime in the gutter »

nice work jj. not familiar with ur boy, but he seems to keep excellent company.

clips are great. will look into.

thanks for a most excellent post.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Come on people. I know (well I presume) we don't have any brain surgeons or rocket scientists here on 3DD, but surely some of you are smart enough to connect the name of the performer (James Jackson Toth) and the poster (jimmyjack). Don't you all see that we have a rock star in our midst??? Jimmyjack wanted to use the AOTW thread to help spread the word about his new band - which is pretty cool in and of itself - but he apparently has some modesty and didn't want to "toot his own horn" (his phrase not mine). Well I've been checking him out and I have no problem tooting his horn. Dude's got a jangly/psychadelic/folky sound, a nice website http://www.jamesjacksontoth.com/ and his own fucking Daytrotter session http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/james-jack ... 53272.html
And his new band/project Wooden Wand is on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/woodenwand and they'll soon be touring in Europe. Oh and he loves DBT too. It all sounds pretty cool to me. Check 'em out, buy their new record, see them on tour. Good luck Jimmyjack, and don't forget about us when you hit the big time.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Cool man, I especially dug this tune. Love the folk noir sound. I'll keep my ears open!
Not forever, just for now.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

I'm noticing a kind of echo of Jim James on this one:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

don't get the JJ vibe but i know i've seen him/them..
reminds me of jarvis cocker's voice for some reason..i like it!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Good stuff jimmyjack. Some great songs there. Read the back story of your Daytrotter session...bummer. Loved the set just the same. Nice interpretation of Chip Away The Stone

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Thanks yall. Not such a big MMJ fan, but I have always loved Pulp, so...good ear, Penny Lane! "Doreen" is a rough one for me to hear / see. I had a severe case of pneumonia in that video and was shooting in Texas with a leather jacket - misery. That song was my attempt at ripping off "Breakdown" by Tom Petty - dig the electric lead part Nels plays!

Anyway, really appreciate the support of this community. DBT are in my top five all time favorite bands (top ONE if you only count bands that are together, unless you count the Stones, which I don't - they broke up in 1982, right? :D) and I'm flattered / honored / psyched for yall to take the time to listen.

Touring a bunch starting next week - if you'll be in any of these cities, let me know you're on 3DD and I'll put you on the guest list! Dates are on my website - www.woodenwand.org

Facing up,

Jimmyjack

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

3milelake wrote: Nice interpretation of Chip Away The Stone

That is a very badass version of Chip Away The Stone.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:Thanks yall. Not such a big MMJ fan, but I have always loved Pulp, so...good ear, Penny Lane! "Doreen" is a rough one for me to hear / see. I had a severe case of pneumonia in that video and was shooting in Texas with a leather jacket - misery. That song was my attempt at ripping off "Breakdown" by Tom Petty - dig the electric lead part Nels plays!

Anyway, really appreciate the support of this community. DBT are in my top five all time favorite bands (top ONE if you only count bands that are together, unless you count the Stones, which I don't - they broke up in 1982, right? :D) and I'm flattered / honored / psyched for yall to take the time to listen.

Touring a bunch starting next week - if you'll be in any of these cities, let me know you're on 3DD and I'll put you on the guest list! Dates are on my website - http://www.woodenwand.org

Facing up,

Jimmyjack

Good stuff! Come to Chicago or Madison, WI and I'll make sure to get some folks there. Keep up the good work!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Oh, and one last shameless plug, this time on behalf of a great label called Misra. A bunch of artists including Patterson and yours truly have chosen songs from the Misra catalog to celebrate the relaunch of this killer label (Centro-matic! The Mendoza Line! etc), and the compilation is being offered as a free download right now. Worth a listen! You can get it here: http://misrarecords.com/

Thanks again for the kind words, everybody.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Very cool j squared. Thanks for the link.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Sweet. Thanks!
Doesn't look like you're hitting the northeast too much, but happy touring!

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

cortez the killer wrote:Very cool j squared. Thanks for the link.

x2

I just pulled that compilation down and here it is again: that feeling... that: this is what it's all about here. Rock on JJ.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

StevieRay wrote:I just pulled that compilation down and here it is again: that feeling... that: this is what it's all about here.

I thought it was all about pissing matches in the Blasphemy thread.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i thought it was a bit random having Wooden Wand in this thread, but Clams put 3 and 3 together right away...nice to have you around these parts, jimmyjack!

i haven't seen you since the opening slot for Sonic Youth on the _Rather Ripped_ tour.

i've got a bunch of WW LPs, but i think my favorite is _Buck Dharma_ (and not just because it's a great reference to the best soloist of all time).

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Thanks dude! I miss that SG. :(

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

That's it..i must have seen you on the Rather Ripped tour..

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I heard a fantastic set by Wooden Wand and the Briarwood Virgins this weekend in Birmingham at Secret Stages. I can't wait to hear this new album.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Awww, thanks dude, you're very kind to say that. I think we'll rehearse more than once next time, though! Great meeting ya man, I'm sure we'll cross paths again soon.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Most definitely.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Teaser from the new album! Hope yall dig it

http://soundcloud.com/firerecords/woode ... stationary

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Jimmyjack, sounds like the new album is going to be a good one. Was reading the bio at the top of the thread and it said you were based in Eastern Kentucky. Just curious as to exactly where, because I'm from the same neck of the woods.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

jimmyjack wrote:Teaser from the new album! Hope yall dig it

http://soundcloud.com/firerecords/woode ... stationary

Very nice, thanks. Looking forward to the rest.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Daytrotter sessions Oct 1:

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/wooden-wan ... 82149.html

Nice work jimmyjack
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Thanks! Weird that they posted that today, that session is over a year old. The new stuff is better. Ha! Still, Daytrotter rules.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Wooden Wand, along with Generationals, The Tender Fruit, Dinosaur Feathers, The Moderate and Man/Miracle will soon be the subject of several segments on the locally (Raleigh, NC) produced music program Sound Situations. I would post the video for this but you can only post YouTube clips here, not ones from Vimeo. In any event, here's the description from the Sound Situations web page:

We're really excited to announce a new six-video series, The Marsh Woodwinds Sessions, co-presented by Raleigh's Hopscotch Music Festival. We were honored to work with the venerable Hopscotch coordinators and founders to bring you six bands from across the states to our improvised Hopscotch session studio. We've taken over Marsh Woodwinds, a vast and winding music sales and repair shop with an extremely eclectic inventory of collectibles, rare musical devices and wind instruments. This secluded treasure on North Person Street includes an upstairs venue of restored vintage instruments, a stage and room for a crowd. We found it befitting and invited some of our favorite Hopscotch acts to play a small set for an intimate present audience and for our TV and web followers. This stuff is good; we can't wait to show it to you.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

that's very cool.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

tinnitus photography wrote:that's very cool.

It's also a nice, intimate venue, along the lines of what you would associate with a house concert type setting. I've only attended one show there, a fundraiser for a Small Ponds/Filthybirds split 7" single but it was the perfect environment for that kind of stripped back show.