Artist Of The Week 01-02-2011 - Jerry Jeff Walker

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

3milelake

Artist Of The Week 01-02-2011 - Jerry Jeff Walker

Post by 3milelake »

I arrived relatively late to the DBT dance, roughly Dec. 2004. By far the greatest side effect of becoming fully immersed was that DBT were a gateway to a whole new world of music…music I’d arrogantly stayed clear of most of my life. Country music. By mid 2006 I’d joined the old ninebullets board and became fascinated by the diverse array of bands & artists that other people listened to. Curiousity would regularly get the best of me & I’d find myself sampling, binge listening, collecting. My hard drives, CD rack & vinyl collections forever growing. Most interesting to my ears was the so-called Outlaw Country scene. Of course Waylon & Willie are the founding fathers, but there were others & the one that jumped up & slapped me upside the head was one Ronald Clyde Crosby aka Jerry Jeff Walker.

Image Image

That JJ was born in New York & emerged from the mid ‘60’s Greenwich Village scene, made him an unlikely participant & associate of Waylon/Willie/Townes/Clark/Shaver & such. He was also a member of Circus Maximus, a trippy, dated sound totally at odds with what was to come.
In 1968 JJ had the great fortune to pen a song many others would record. His most famous song Mister Bojangles is not his best, but the likes of Dylan, Sammy Davis Jr., Nina Simone, Robbie Williams, Neil Diamond, Tom T. Hall, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band & no doubt more, all recorded it & the royalties gave JJ some leeway & security.

A few more records came out, before JJ really hit his stride in 1972 with the self titled Jerry Jeff Walker and he’d go on a quality run with Viva Terlingua 1973, Walker’s Collectibles 1974, Ridin’ High 1975, and A Good Night For Singing 1976, along with a great double LP A Man Must Carry On in 1977. Beginning with the self titled, he fully transformed himself from the folkie sound of his first three records, in no small part because he surrounded himself with fantastic pickers that became his Lost Gonzo Band.

Viva Terlingua was his game changer & one of my favorite records. The first song, Gettin’ By opens with “Hi buckaroos, Scamp Walker time again, Yeah I'm trying to slide one by you once more” it immediately sucks you in.
JJ’s music evokes good times, always easy going, boozy & earthy. Indeed the chorus from Gettin' By encapsulates the whole mood & vibe around JJ for me.

"Just gettin' by on gettin' by’s my stock in trade
Living it day to day
Pickin' up the pieces wherever they fall
Just letting it roll, letting the high times carry the low
I'm just living my life easy come, easy go"

Viva was recorded live in Luckenbach, Texas. With the exception of Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother & the classic London Homesick Blues which Gary P. Nunn sings, the crowd noise has been eliminated from the recording. The following quote on Viva is lifted from All Music Guide & describes the event better than I could:

It doesn't sound anything like it was recorded in front of an audience, but it does sound live as hell. These folks were partyin' it up and layin' down the tracks at white heat. This record was made in a night and it feels like it was made in your living room. It's guaranteed to lift any dark mood within 15 minutes. This record asks no questions and there are no hidden meanings in Walker's or anybody else's lyrics; it's all there for the taking. And that's what makes it the enduring classic it is.

The Lost Gonzo Band would eventually head out on their own, and JJ soldiered on with different assortments of great pickers. JJ and his wife would assume control of his career, breaking with MCA & forming his own label. A gutsy gesture of independance, but the downside is that a lot of titles in his back catalogue are tragically out of print. Completist that I am, I've been able to procure 10 of his most essential records.

Pictures:

JJW, Roky Erickson, Doug Sahm
Willie, Jack Rodgers, JJW

Videos:
I really wish there was more classic era Jerry Jeff on youtube, but I’ve assembled a taste anyway. Several of these clips are from Texas Connection that aired on the Nashville Network, and Jerry Jeff was the show's host for several years in the early '90's

(Up Against The Wall with Ray Wylie Hubbard - Willie Nelson 4th of July Bash 1974)
At 1:21 cutaways of Leon Russell & Wolfman Jack

(LA Freeway - Dinah Shore 1978)
Long intro with Don Meredith (RIP)

(Takin' It As It Comes 1984)

(Hank Williams Tonight 1989)

(Gettin' By 1991)

(Man In The Big Hat 1992)

(Don't It Make You Want To Dance 2008 - Still Rockin at 66)

New Documentary - OK Buckaroos (Trailer)
This as yet unreleased doc looks really interesting. At 1:42 Todd Snider makes an appearance, giving JJW huge props.

Recommended Long Players
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image or this for a primer

Samplers:
I put together a 19 track JJW 101 sampler. These are my from the gut picks, not necessarily a best of although it contains a lot of his better known songs. A good 6 from the mix are high quality vinyl rips that are pretty much unavailable unless you own the original records:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8t8d7yzf82t202m

Very nice mix (no repeats from above) compiled by good friend of the board & all around music aficionado, Cortez The Killer. This was sent to me 2 years ago to broaden my JJW experience...it did:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2ezhn7kjy2go97j

In Sum:
Jerry Jeff has such a reliable voice. A powerful baritone that seemingly comes from his toenails. Silky & soft on ballads and he cranks & revs it up like a chainsaw when necessary. Much like Waylon, he does his share of covers & most often ends up re-inventing & owning the song.

I’m not very long winded or a terribly eloquent writer. My intention in this choice is to hopefully convey the energy & spirit of JJW’s voice & music…to inspire even a few people to search out and enjoy this underappreciated musician. He is well worth the trip.

Adios buckaroos…

Last edited by 3milelake on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zip City

Re: Artist Of The Week 02-01-2011 - Jerry Jeff Walker

Post by Zip City »

Is it February already?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

3milelake

Re: Artist Of The Week 01-02-2011 - Jerry Jeff Walker

Post by 3milelake »

So I'm not good at indexing...you do notice that shit though...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Alsum job, 3milelake. Just further proof that these threads are at their best when they come from the heart. Downloading samplers now, can't wait to listen.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

"Don't matter how ya' do it
Just do it like you know it"

Outstanding work 3mike.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

3milelake wrote:So I'm not good at indexing...you do notice that shit though...

I have a reputation to uphold.

Nice work, though!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Very nice coverage of an unappreciated corner of the music world. Jerry Jeff managed to never get the love he deserved. I make a lot of mix tapes myself & about a year ago my brother was riding w/me when this song played.

Pack up all your dishes
Make note of all good wishes
Say goodbye to the landlord for me
Sons o' bitches always bore me
Throw out those L.A. papers
Moldy box of vanilla wafers
Adios to all this concrete
Gonna get me some dirt road backstreet

If I can just get off of that L.A. Freeway
Without getting killed or caught.....

He told me he had heard that song a loong time ago & didn't know who it was & forgot about it. It's hard to believe that someone as good as Jerry Jeff Walker could slip between the cracks. Thanks for the memory jog.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Slipkid42 wrote:Very nice coverage of an unappreciated corner of the music world. Jerry Jeff managed to never get the love he deserved. I make a lot of mix tapes myself & about a year ago my brother was riding w/me when this song played.

Pack up all your dishes

He told me he had heard that song a loong time ago & didn't know who it was & forgot about it. It's hard to believe that someone as good as Jerry Jeff Walker could slip between the cracks. Thanks for the memory jog.

Thats actually a Guy Clark cover - the version on Heartworn Highways is phenomenal.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://sharebee.com/0f01d24f

Todd Snider's JJW album - completely free, for his mailing list members - not a comp of live covers, its all in studio, unreleased (except for Stoney, which is on peace, love & anarchy)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote: It's hard to believe that someone as good as Jerry Jeff Walker could slip between the cracks.

Yup, you could say that about too many of the artists we discuss here.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Very nice, 3mile, and a perfect choice for this spotlight. I'm looking forward to listening to those samplers, because while I've always appreciated JJW, I can't say i know his music all that well.

Loved that u mentioned Circus Maximus. Your comment is totally correct, but nonetheless, "The Wind" will always have a fond place in my heart and music memory :) Typical itunes aggravation: You can download all the songs on the Circus Maximus album for 99 cents. Except the wind, which u can only get if u download the whole album. To which i continue to say, in the words of cee-lo green, fuck you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Another JJW album I would highly recommend is:
- DPM

cortez the killer

3milelake wrote:Viva Terlingua was his game changer & one of my favorite records. The first song, Gettin’ By opens with “Hi buckaroos, Scamp Walker time again, Yeah I'm trying to slide one by you once more” it immediately sucks you in.
JJ’s music evokes good times, always easy going, boozy & earthy. Indeed the chorus from Gettin' By encapsulates the whole mood & vibe around JJ for me.

Living it day to day

You tapped into the essence of JJW here 3mike. For me, JJW = good weather, drinking, having fun, letting loose. He has a breezy, care-free demeanor and his music fosters a great vibe. Can you imagine packing into that little bar on a hot August night & whooping it up with Jerry & The Lost Gonzo band? Whenever I listen to Viva, I always try to envision the scene and the cast of characters as the boys belt it out onstage.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

One of my favorite Jerry Jeff related quotes from over the years is the one where the fan walks up to him and says, "I don't like Country music but I like your kind of Country music". I have to thank one of my older brothers for turning me onto Jerry Jeff, Buffett, Prine, Jesse Winchester, Goodman, Coe, Guy Clark, the Burritos, Townes, etc. early on. Believe it or not, Buffett was the impetus for introducing me to a lot of those other songwriters, particularly JJW, Prine, Winchester and Goodman. This is the same brother that also always had some Alice Cooper, Edgar Winter's White Trash and Johnny Winter crankin' on the 8-track in his car so I'm forever thankful for the musical diversity in my household as well.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Excellent post!! Thanks for all the download nuggets. Listening now :mrgreen:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Thanks for everyone's feedback, much appreciated & validates the time I put into this...although it became a labor of love along the way. It's a bit of work, but I encourage any who haven't yet, to consider submitting artist of the week entries, you'll find out more about & re-appreciate your favorite artist/band along the way.

Slipkid42 wrote:Very nice coverage of an unappreciated corner of the music world. Jerry Jeff managed to never get the love he deserved. I make a lot of mix tapes myself & about a year ago my brother was riding w/me when this song played.

Pack up all your dishes

As Smitty rightly pointed out, it is a Guy Clark original. I fuckin' love Guy Clark, for the record. As I mentioned near the end though, Jerry Jeff has a knack of making covers his own. Clark's version is beautiful, wistful...regretful. Jerry Jeff's version on Jerry Jeff Walker is similar, but his take on A Man Must Carry On is scorching, happy, triumphant...."a fuck you to the big city"...in my opinion the finest recording of LA Freeway.

beantownbubba wrote:Very nice, 3mile, and a perfect choice for this spotlight. I'm looking forward to listening to those samplers, because while I've always appreciated JJW, I can't say i know his music all that well.

Glad you're taking the time to check out the samplers!

cortez the killer wrote:You tapped into the essence of JJW here 3mike. For me, JJW = good weather, drinking, having fun, letting loose. He has a breezy, care-free demeanor and his music fosters a great vibe. Can you imagine packing into that little bar on a hot August night & whooping it up with Jerry & The Lost Gonzo band? Whenever I listen to Viva, I always try to envision the scene and the cast of characters as the boys belt it out onstage.

Exactly, well said. Must have been crazy seeing shows in Luckenbach. "Got to put myself back in that place again". I wish someone was rolling film back then.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One of my favorite Jerry Jeff related quotes from over the years is the one where the fan walks up to him and says, "I don't like Country music but I like your kind of Country music". I have to thank one of my older brothers for turning me onto Jerry Jeff, Buffett, Prine, Jesse Winchester, Goodman, Coe, Guy Clark, the Burritos, Townes, etc. early on.

Nice one Kudzu! I'm the oldest & missed the bonus of the big brother influence...& my Dad's record collection SUCKED!
I'm sure you know JJW & Buffett wrote at least one song together, Railroad Lady.

Clams

Post by Clams »

3milelake wrote: Must have been crazy seeing shows in Luckenbach. "Got to put myself back in that place again". I wish someone was rolling film back then.

Always happy to add another cover of London Homesick Blues to my collection. My favorite so far is one by the Derailers.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

solid gold, 3mile. solid gold. great job.

ray wylie hubbard discussing cosmic cowboys, rednecks and hippies.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

added to the Index

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

just re-read 3mile's post. damn fine work. standout.

Kudzu Guillotine

3milelake wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One of my favorite Jerry Jeff related quotes from over the years is the one where the fan walks up to him and says, "I don't like Country music but I like your kind of Country music". I have to thank one of my older brothers for turning me onto Jerry Jeff, Buffett, Prine, Jesse Winchester, Goodman, Coe, Guy Clark, the Burritos, Townes, etc. early on.

Nice one Kudzu! I'm the oldest & missed the bonus of the big brother influence...& my Dad's record collection SUCKED!
I'm sure you know JJW & Buffett wrote at least one song together, Railroad Lady.

I still need to read Jerry Jeff's bio where he goes into much more detail about him meeting up with Buffett for the first time and the writing of that song. I'm very glad for Buffett's success but deep down I wish it had stayed more on the Jerry Jeff, Prine, Goodman cult level. Contradictory as it might sound, I can't stand most "Parrotheads". That line of thinking hasn't exactly endeared me to most of his fans (at least the online ones) nor the people that run message boards dedicated to him.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

cortez the killer wrote:
3milelake wrote:Viva Terlingua was his game changer & one of my favorite records. The first song, Gettin’ By opens with “Hi buckaroos, Scamp Walker time again, Yeah I'm trying to slide one by you once more” it immediately sucks you in.

Living it day to day

You tapped into the essence of JJW here 3mike. For me, JJW = good weather, drinking, having fun, letting loose. He has a breezy, care-free demeanor and his music fosters a great vibe. Can you imagine packing into that little bar on a hot August night & whooping it up with Jerry & The Lost Gonzo band? Whenever I listen to Viva, I always try to envision the scene and the cast of characters as the boys belt it out onstage.

While I never saw JJW in Luckenbach, this reminds me of the first time i saw him live. It was 1974 at a bar in Norman, Ok call Sooner Broadcast System. I had become a big fan of Viva Terlingua, so when I heard he was to be playing just 45 minutes from my house I scored a fake ID as quick as I could. I was 15. Back then the age for buying beer in Okla was 18, so me and two guys I played HS football with headed on up. Fake ID's worked like a charm-doorman didn't give a shit, probably could've walked in without em- and the party was on. JJW & Gonzos were obviously pretty drunk by the second set, but it was all good. Whooping it up is a good way to describe it. One of my fondest concert memories.
Very very nice writeup about one of the giants of the genre.
Excellent choice, excellent job.

cortez the killer

4sooner wrote:While I never saw JJW in Luckenbach, this reminds me of the first time i saw him live. It was 1974 at a bar in Norman, Ok call Sooner Broadcast System. I had become a big fan of Viva Terlingua, so when I heard he was to be playing just 45 minutes from my house I scored a fake ID as quick as I could. I was 15. Back then the age for buying beer in Okla was 18, so me and two guys I played HS football with headed on up. Fake ID's worked like a charm-doorman didn't give a shit, probably could've walked in without em- and the party was on. JJW & Gonzos were obviously pretty drunk by the second set, but it was all good. Whooping it up is a good way to describe it. One of my fondest concert memories.

I have a new hero.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: Contradictory as it might sound, I can't stand most "Parrotheads". That line of thinking hasn't exactly endeared me to most of his fans (at least the online ones) nor the people that run message boards dedicated to him.

Speaks well of you. :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

4sooner wrote:While I never saw JJW in Luckenbach, this reminds me of the first time i saw him live. It was 1974 at a bar in Norman, Ok call Sooner Broadcast System. I had become a big fan of Viva Terlingua, so when I heard he was to be playing just 45 minutes from my house I scored a fake ID as quick as I could. I was 15. Back then the age for buying beer in Okla was 18, so me and two guys I played HS football with headed on up. Fake ID's worked like a charm-doorman didn't give a shit, probably could've walked in without em- and the party was on. JJW & Gonzos were obviously pretty drunk by the second set, but it was all good. Whooping it up is a good way to describe it. One of my fondest concert memories.
Very very nice writeup about one of the giants of the genre.
Excellent choice, excellent job.

That's a great memory 4sooner! The golden era for JJW/Gonzos for sure. Sounds like one hell of a night.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Love me some Jerry Jeff. He doesn't play as much around here anymore, but I have to have to see him live. Gruene if possible. Love him.
NSFW

Kudzu Guillotine

I've never seen him in concert either. Looks like if I'm gonna do that, it'll have to involve a trip to Texas as he doesn't play outside of there very much these days.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I've never seen him in concert either. Looks like if I'm gonna do that, it'll have to involve a trip to Texas as he doesn't play outside of there very much these days.

Have you ever thought about a holiday in Belize in January?

Kudzu Guillotine

3milelake wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I've never seen him in concert either. Looks like if I'm gonna do that, it'll have to involve a trip to Texas as he doesn't play outside of there very much these days.

Have you ever thought about a holiday in Belize in January?

Many times but since I just made a trip to Costa Rica over the summer (where Jerry Jeff's Cowboy Boots & Bathing Suits figured prominently on the stereo throughout the trip) that one's gonna have to wait a while.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »