Quick List 167: Favorite Live Albums

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: Quick List 167: Favorite Live Albums

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:The Koln Concert and Bremen-Lausanne - Solo improvisational piano might not be everyone's cup of tea, but after listening to these albums you might well ask, "why not?"

good one.

my toe dipping into culture.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Dime, what's your view on whether JB Live at the Apollo is really live?

sounds live to me. i thought the story was......jb recorded it against the wishes of his label and on his own nickel.

i am often wrong.

is there an alternate version of my truth?

I believe that it's true that JB made the album himself and fought w/ his label about it. As I recall the story, though, the question is whether the album consists of truly "recorded live" material or studio recordings w/ electronic audience noise added to simulate a live recording.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I happened upon this one back in the 70s while rummaging through the bargain bin at Woolworth's. Little did I know that it has also been tinkered with after the fact via the label dubbing in bullfight cheers from a sound effects album. Other than that I believe it was an actual live recording. Not sure if the original master tapes exist or if this travesty has ever been corrected but shortly after I purchased it Jimmy Page had it pulled from the market.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Dime, what's your view on whether JB Live at the Apollo is really live?

sounds live to me. i thought the story was......jb recorded it against the wishes of his label and on his own nickel.

i am often wrong.

is there an alternate version of my truth?

I believe that it's true that JB made the album himself and fought w/ his label about it. As I recall the story, though, the question is whether the album consists of truly "recorded live" material or studio recordings w/ electronic audience noise added to simulate a live recording.

never heard that.

from allmusic.
An astonishing record of James and the Flames tearing the roof off the sucker at the mecca of R&B theatres, New York's Apollo. When King Records owner Syd Nathan refused to fund the recording, thinking it commercial folly, Brown single-mindedly proceeded anyway, paying for it out of his own pocket. He had been out on the road night after night for a while, and he knew that the magic that was part and parcel of a James Brown show was something no record had ever caught. Hit follows hit without a pause -- "I'll Go Crazy," "Try Me," "Think," "Please Please Please," "I Don't Mind," "Night Train," and more. The affirmative screams and cries of the audience are something you've never experienced unless you've seen the Brown Revue in a Black theater. If you have, I need not say more; if you haven't, suffice to say that this should be one of the very first records you ever own.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Rolling Stone Album Guide confirms that Brown was known for releasing faked live albums and calls Showtime the most notorious of them. Live at the Apollo is not one of the suspect albums. My mistake. Sorry.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Steppenwolf's Live album is also said to have been a studio recording with canned crowd noise.

Alot of great albums mentioned here. Some of my favorites have still not been brought up:

Skynyrd-One More from The Road
The Kinks-One For The Road
Bottle Rockets-Live In Heilbronn, Ger
Chuck Prophet-Turn The Pigeons Loose
Leon Russell-Leon Live

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:I think i may be the only person in the world who likes this one, but i actually really do like Bruce & the E Streeters Live in NYC.

You are not alone. I love this but then it reminds me of the first time I saw them.

Some more crackers that I've not seen above:

Learning to flinch - Warren Zevon
Borscht - Eleventh Dream Day
Songs of Love - Mark Eitzel
United States Pt 1-4 - Laurie Anderson
USA - King Crimson
Live - Alison Krauss and Union Station
Live Killers - Queen (the first album I ever bought)
Exit Stage Left - Rush
Stockholm Live - The Triffids

Oh and my favourite Neil young live album is the Massey Hall one - amazing.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Clams

Post by Clams »

I listened to Deal from this record last night and was blown away by the guitar solo at the end of the song. I love this set maybe more than any Dead set that I own. Some Dylan covers, the Band, the Beatles, Motown, plus some Dead songs. It's got it all.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I forgot Traffic's Welcome to the Canteen. If nothing else, it was responsible for the name Reebop Kwaaku Bah entering the lexicon :D But it really is one of my favorite live albums.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:I forgot Traffic's Welcome to the Canteen. If nothing else, it was responsible for the name Reebop Kwaaku Bah entering the lexicon :D But it really is one of my favorite live albums.
Damn, can't believe I forgot that one.
That and On The Road were just alsum! ;)

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Clams wrote:Image

I listened to Deal from this record last night and was blown away by the guitar solo at the end of the song. I love this set maybe more than any Dead set that I own. Some Dylan covers, the Band, the Beatles, Motown, plus some Dead songs. It's got it all.

Don't Let Go, is pretty good also.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

How I forgot the Jerry album and learning to Flinch is beyond me. I don't go a month without either. Good calls dogstar and Clams!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Rock of Ages- The Band
At Fillmore East- The Allman Brothers Band
Live At The Apollo- James Brown
Who's Got The 10 1/2 ?- Black Flag
Alabama Ass Whuppin' - Drive By Truckers

Bonus: Kick Out The Jams- MC5 (yes, that's a live album)

Cowgirl in the Sand

Post by Cowgirl in the Sand »

Kicking Television - Wilco
Hill Country Revue at Bonnaroo - North Mississippi All Stars
Live Rust - Neil Young
Live, Volume 2 - The Avett Brothers
Europe '72 - The Grateful Dead

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Cowgirl in the Sand wrote:Kicking Television - Wilco
Hill Country Revue at Bonnaroo - North Mississippi All Stars
Live Rust - Neil Young
Live, Volume 2 - The Avett Brothers
Europe '72 - The Grateful Dead

Nice list Cowgirl
I actually saw NY & the NM All-Stars share the same bill (Farm-Aid '05 or so). It was great!
I do have to ask, though (and please feel free not to answer if you don't feel like it).
Is this world at your command?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

scotto

Post by scotto »

Forgot a favorite:
Hendrix, Band of Gypsys

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

scotto wrote:Forgot a favorite:
Hendrix, Band of Gypsys

Yeah, fuckin' love that one too. Funkier than a dead monkey's underpants.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

One-point bump for beret dude.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:50 am
Think this is the DS album I have listened to the most. One of my all time favorite live albums as well. Love the version of "Boston" they are doing here.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

cortez the killer

RolanK wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:43 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Think this is the DS album I have listened to the most. One of my all time favorite live albums as well. Love the version of "Boston" they are doing here.
Definitive versions of many of their songs, particularly those off Medicine Show. Produced by Elliot Mazer, who produced some of Neil Young's best albums - Harvest, Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night, American Stars n' Bars. Incredible performances and one of the better-sounding live albums I've ever heard. Blistering version of "Days of Wine and Roses." Perfect intersection of Velvet Underground, Television and Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
- DPM

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:12 pm
RolanK wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Definitive versions of many of their songs, particularly those off Medicine Show. Produced by Elliot Mazer, who produced some of Neil Young's best albums - Harvest, Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night, American Stars n' Bars. Incredible performances and one of the better-sounding live albums I've ever heard. Blistering version of "Days of Wine and Roses." Perfect intersection of Velvet Underground, Television and Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
100% Agreed! (didn't know about the Neil connection, though). I also became obsessed with Merrittville, upon hearing it on this album. Perhaps where the the seed was sown for my affection for storytelling in music (backed by a solid rhythm section and wailing guitars delivered with a punk-ish attitude - something I reconnected with decades later when I discovered DBT.)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

The Brussels Affair by the Stones.

Rock n Roll Animal by Lou Reed

Jerry lee Lewis at the Star Club.

Live Drugs by War on Drugs

That last one I've been playing a lot and I wasnt a huge fan of the band previously.

cortez the killer

RolanK wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 am
cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:12 pm
RolanK wrote:

100% Agreed! (didn't know about the Neil connection, though). I also became obsessed with Merrittville, upon hearing it on this album. Perhaps where the the seed was sown for my affection for storytelling in music (backed by a solid rhythm section and wailing guitars delivered with a punk-ish attitude - something I reconnected with decades later when I discovered DBT.)
I guess they hooked up with Mazer on 1988's Ghost Stories and then had him produce the live album, too. "Merrittville" is so much better on the live album that it is on Medicine Show. The snarl kicks up several notches.

Also, good call on the similarities between TDS and DBT. I'd never really made the connection, but it is there. The Truckers lean into the country side of things more than an 80s California-based band, but that storytelling and punk spirit (and love of R.E.M.) is certainly shared by both bands.
- DPM

cortez the killer

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 am
Live Drugs by War on Drugs

That last one I've been playing a lot and I wasnt a huge fan of the band previously.
I finally got into Lost in the Dream several months ago. Really strong record. Have a friend who swears by Live Drugs and I'm gonna take the plunge soon.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm still surprised at how few mentions the Allmans @ Fillmore East got and still embarrassed that I got that James Brown thing all wrong.

FWIW (I don't have the in depth familiarity w/ the band that some of you do), Live at Raji's is my go to Dream Syndicate album.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:01 pm
Also, good call on the similarities between TDS and DBT. I'd never really made the connection, but it is there. The Truckers lean into the country side of things more than an 80s California-based band, but that storytelling and punk spirit (and love of R.E.M.) is certainly shared by both bands.
Yes, it is probably more in the "aesthetics" and how the music is presented in a live setting. DBT got that southern twang and country (along with a bunch of other influences), as you say, which is not that obvious in DS music - although with some of Wynn's solo stuff (That's Why I Wear Black - which if I am not mistaken, was originally written for Norwegian country duo Somebody's Darling) and perhaps also some DS tunes such as Medicine Show and My Old Haunts, I hear a country influence. However, you could probably make the argument that it would be impossible to not be influenced by country as a musician coming up in the the US during the 20th century.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa