Artist of the Week 12-26-2010: Nantucket

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Artist of the Week 12-26-2010: Nantucket

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Pre-Epic Records 45 featuring Mike Uzzell (as opposed to his brother Larry) on lead vocals. Not all that significant other than it showcases Nantucket's R & B/Beach music roots.

That's fun!
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

On the R & B/Beach music tip, I saw them do this years ago at a place called Rootie's in Emerald Isle, NC. Even nearly 20 years after the fact, I was getting an education in Nantucket as I'd only recently learned about their previous incarnation as Stax of Gold, a group that specialized in R & B and Beach music covers. This isn't the best sound quality but it gets the point across.

Kudzu Guillotine

If you're so inclined, click on this link and scroll down to see a few photos of Nantucket opening for Rush on the Permanent Waves tour at the Capital Centre in Largo, MD on August 22nd, 1979.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

$5.50 mother fuckers to see Rush at the height of their powers and a great opening band like Nantucket. I swear I grew up at the right time (perhaps a little late) in the rock 'n roll era.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:$5.50 mother fuckers to see Rush at the height of their powers and a great opening band like Nantucket. I swear I grew up at the right time (perhaps a little late) in the rock 'n roll era.
Also on this bill: AC/DC (with Bon Scott), who headlined and Cheap Trick, who opened. Nantucket received top billing because it was being touted as their homecoming show after being out west touring in support of their debut album. In regards to AC/DC, I really had no idea what I was witnessing at the time but it didn't take long at all to sink in. Date of this concert was August 10, 1978.

Kudzu Guillotine

Michael Gardner of PKM died last November. PKM was an off-shoot of Nantucket that included bassist Pee Wee Watson and drummer Kenny Soule. After original Nantucket guitarist Mark Downing left the group Michael Gardner would sometimes sit in but was never a permanent member. Around 1982, PKM made some demo recordings which they made available to radio stations, including the college station (WKNS K-91 in Kinston) that I worked for. As mentioned in Steve Boyle's Return to Comboland segment below, they met with great success on the airwaves, especially at WQDR. Only thing was, the listeners couldn't buy the music because it wasn't on an album and wouldn't be until their lone vinyl release, Rock Erotica came out in 1985. As also mentioned in the segment below, the labels weren't interested in bands like PKM during the early 80's as New Wave was what was popular then.

https://youtu.be/poddFlIBYcY

Pee Wee still plays with Nantucket when they reunite for the occasional show. He also plays in a country cover band called Big City that also includes Backsliders drummer Jeff Dennis. Kenny Soule went on to become a member of Dag. SInce then, he's played with a bunch of different artists including but by no means limited to Walter Trout and the Demolition String Band. He's presently a member of Sarah Borges' band that also includes Eric "Roscoe" Ambel and former Bottle Rockets bassist Keith Voegele. Her newest album is Together Alone which came out in February. The tour in support of the album started last weekend. This is one of the songs from it.

https://youtu.be/3sOcjdeVtYE

Kudzu Guillotine

I haven't read it yet but it may also be worth mentioning that David Menconi bumped Corrosion of Conformity from his book about NC music called Step It Up and Go to include a chapter on Nantucket instead.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:19 am
I haven't read it yet but it may also be worth mentioning that David Menconi bumped Corrosion of Conformity from his book about NC music called Step It Up and Go to include a chapter on Nantucket instead.
"I'll take poor decisions for $600 please"

Kudzu Guillotine

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:11 am
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:19 am
"I'll take poor decisions for $600 please"
I'd say he weighed it quite heavily.