Best concerts of 2010

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drtpants

Re: Best concerts of 2010

Post by drtpants »

dime in the gutter wrote:i want to be tinnitus when i grow up.

word, yo.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

thanks all!

and if you don't want to *have* tinnitus when you grow up, use this (unless it's already too late)

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

tinnitus photography wrote:thanks all!

and if you don't want to *have* tinnitus when you grow up, use this (unless it's already too late)

When I was younger the ringing would go away by the time I woke up the next morning. Then I caught The Stranglers in 1985/86 at The Ritz. The ringing from that show hasn't stopped yet.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RevMatt wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:thanks all!

When I was younger the ringing would go away by the time I woke up the next morning. Then I caught The Stranglers in 1985/86 at The Ritz. The ringing from that show hasn't stopped yet.

Neither have mine from a show I caught two years ago at Slim's in Raleigh (a venue that's known for notoriously loud shows anyway). Now I even wear my earplugs at acoustic shows. I just wish I had been wearing them all along. You sort of get used to the ringing after awhile but I'd rather not have to deal with it at all. The worse part is trying to encourage friends to do the same without feeling like I'm preaching to them. Sadly, none have taken me up on my advice. I guess the only way they will learn is when it happens to them too. Then, like it was for me, it will be too late. When I noticed no one was taking my advice I just stopped suggesting they use earplugs. I never leave home without at least a couple of pairs.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

1. The Black Crowes - New York 10/31, 11/02, 11/04, 11/05, 11/06
Can't pick only one, this entire New York run at The Best Buy Theatre in Times Square was the time of my life. Best shows I ever Seen. I flew specially from Israel for those shows on the 1st half of my world tour. They played so many gems & rare stuff in the five nights. It was a dream shows for die-hard TBC fans.

2. Drive By Truckers - Brighton, England 11/15 + Groningen, Holland 11/18
From my 2nd part of my world tour...right after NY I came to England & Holland to see six DBT shows. From the six I've seen I picked those two. They were very small places and the set-lists were awesome. In Brighton I got to see Tornadoes (and Ghost To Most back-to-back, two of my top favorites DBT songs). And in Groningen, well, if you remember my post after I came back...They played Angels & Fuselage for me and it like a dream. I will also mention the Amsterdam show at The Paradiso. It was a beautiful place, good energies and I also got my private A&F at soundcheck.

3. Gov't Mule - Tel Aviv, Israel 6/18
If you remember my story with Warren I posted here...It was a fantastic first show for the mule in Israel. Got to see Patchwork Quilt & Sugaree back-to-back, it was awesome. And what happened with Warren at the end was the greatest gift I got from an artist I love (Well, until November when I met DBT :D ).

4. Jeff Beck - Tel Aviv, Israel 10/04
Another first show in Israel, this time for Jeff Beck. It was a better one than I thought it would be. And I got to see a favorite guitarist live and up-close.

5. Hot Tuna - Tel Aviv, Israel 12/22
My last show of 2010, last week...First show of Hot Tuna in Israel. We celebrated Jorma's 70th birthday at midnight, and he and Jack and the band were so so happy to be here. Jorma is jewish today and he came with his all family. They had a great time here and you could see that in the show. They still got it.

The disapointment of the year - The Cancellation of Devendra Banhart...he was suppost to be here on June 16 and I had my ticket. Two days before the show it got canceled because some political threats on the artist. Devendra always said how much he love Israel and said in an interview a week before the show how he don't care about politics and he only cares about music and the people loving his music. And yet, it got cancelled. Until now no one knows the right reason...I was kinda disapointed. Was waiting for that, because we don't get many artist I like to perform in Israel.

Have a great shows in 2011 everybody! Good way to open it for people going to the Athens shows...I'll see which shows I will be able to save money and fly for next year.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

#1: Avett Brothers - Mercer Theatre - Savannah, GA June 11th: These guys always put on a great show, but I had just proposed to my then girlfriend, now fiance, about an hour before the show. I was kinda obnoxious and was telling everyone and then they played January Wedding. If I didnt say this was my favorite I would have an ex-fiance :)

#2: DBT Athens GA night #3: This was the night everyone came in for, we had a group of about 7 of us and even though the setlist was complained about by some I still look forward to the homecoming shows and doing this with so many important friends was awesome.

#3: Spoon -- The Mohawk - Austin TX Austin City Limits festival preshow: This show was maybe 300 people packed around a stage with a huge tree behind it and with the city of Austin overhead. It was amazing and seeing it in Austin just made it better.

#4: Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears: The Earl - Atlanta GA Feb 2011: Please please please go see this band. They put on a great show, complete with blues guitar, dancing, horns and a song called "I love you Bitch," you will thank me later.

#5: DBT The Handlebar - Greenville SC - Feb 2011: The best part of this show was Patterson kicking a dude out and then saying we are going to rock as hard as possible so this dude hears what he is missing. He then asked the crowd what would be loudest and it was "too much sex, too little Jesus" and then patterson goes into a story about his first BJ with some strong language.............I took my mom to the show and during that part still couldnt look at her :oops: But she had fun, that was not her first show, but probably the most awkward moment we have had at a show tho.

Hon Men: Josh Ritter (Greenville, SC), Old 97s (Nashville) DBT (Atlanta), Avett (Atlanta),

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

#1.DBT, April in Asheville both shows. The first night we got the SRO encore and the second night, like
Jeremy said, that run in the middle was great. On a side note, I talked to Patterson briefly after the second night.
After all the complaining about the set list from the Athens run, (not that I was one of them) Patterson specificlly
asked me what I thought about the set list ;) "Fantastic!" was all I could say.
I also enjoyed the in-store at Harvest where we were able to do something special for a friend. Thanks to DBT
for their co-operation.
#2. Neil Young, Sept in Panama City. Great Show!
#3. DBT/Dexateens, Mobil. One of those shows you don't quite remember but you never forget :lol:
Were you there Dime?
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Swamp wrote:#3. DBT/Dexateens, Mobil. One of those shows you don't quite remember but you never forget :lol:
Were you there Dime?

indeed. both bands brought it.

pretty sure i gave my spot on the rail to your lovely for a few snaps of rock god cooley. she was hammered. i was hammered.

my head and conscience hurt for 3 days after that show.

great rock.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

#1 Joanna Newsom/ Roy Harper - Birmingham Symphony Hall
Finally got to see Joanna Newsom and she didn't disappoint. A fantastic show. You know your in for a good night when she opens with one of her best songs and then it just keeps getting better. Having Roy Harper as the support act didn't harm the show either.

#2 DBT's - Birmingham O2 Academy
The band opened with Lookout Mountain and then proceeded to blow the roof off the place.

#3 Low - St Johns Church (yes a real church), Coventry
Played Monkey and Silver Rider as songs 2 and 3 to f**k off the Robert Plant fans and then went on a journey thorugh their back catalogue. Amazing vocals and some of the best loud/quiet guitar playing I've ever seen

#4 Anais Mitchell - Hare & Hounds, Kings Heath, Birmingham
Playing in a samll room to about fifty people this was amazing. Wonderful songs, wonderful voice. Reminded me a lot of Gillian Welch.

#5 Deertick/Caitlin Rose - Coventry
I'd seen Caitlin a few weeks earlier in Birmingham and she kept up the high standards. Live she's amazing - I was a bit disappointed by the album. Deertick were completely new to me and were a revelation. Got no idea what they played, except a cover of John Prines Mexican House but they put on a wonderfully chaotic show worthy of the Replacements.

Honourable mentions: Band of Horses in Wolverhampton, Tame Impala in Birmingham, Drumming by Steve Reich at Birmingham Town Hall, Nils Lofgren at Birmingham Town Hall.

Most disappointing show: Midlake at Birmingham Town Hall. Great playing but it just didn't happen.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Swamp wrote:I also enjoyed the in-store at Harvest where we were able to do something special for a friend. Thanks to DBT
for their co-operation.

Will never, ever be forgotten.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

;)
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

SandyBritches

Post by SandyBritches »

Tough one, and I'm sure I'll make some edits after I go back through my show journal tonight.

1) Widespread Panic at Red Rocks - 6/25 and 6/27. This one's a tie. 6/25 was my first show at Red Rocks, so it will always be special. 6/27 was a Sunday show. Never miss a Sunday show.

2) Avett Brothers at Chastain Amphitheatre - 9/10. Caught three Avett shows this year (The Fabulous Fox on Jan 1, Johnny Mercer in June, and this). This one was the most fun to me.

3) of Montreal w/ Janelle Monae at Variety Playhouse - 11/7. Blown. The. Fuck. Away.

4) Deer Tick, Dead Confederate, Futurebirds at Buckhead Theatre - The grand reopening, and they all rocked it - especially Deer Tick.

I'm gonna leave some space for later.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

1. My Morning Jacket @ Lifestyles Community Pavilion (outdoor) May 2, 2010 - Columbus - My first MMJ show and it was great. The Preservation Hall Jazz Band opened (with Jim James sitting in for a few songs), and they came out and played with MMJ through a 6 song encore.

Here's how the show started:

Set list:

1. One Big Holiday
2. Off the Record
3. Gideon
4. I'm Amazed
5. Magheetah
6. Tonight I Want to Celebrate
7. Golden
8. Where to Begin
9. Lay Low
10. The Way He Sings
11. Wonderful (the way I feel)
12. Carried Away
13. Dondante
14. Smokin' From the Shootin'
15. End of Run Thru
16. Touch Me Part 2
17. Anytime

ENCORE

18. Wordless Chorus
19. Evil Urges
20. Highly Suspicious
21. Carnival Time
22. Dancefloors
23. Moving Up

2. Avett Bros. @ Lifestyles Community Pavilion, May 29, 2010 (Outdoors) - Columbus - This show was scheduled to be indoors (2500 capacity) but quickly got moved outdoors (5000 capacity) and was sold out. I only had a couple of the Avett's records at the time, but was floored by the energy they shared with the audience. Fantastic show.

Set List:

1. Salvation Song
2. Slight Figure of Speech
3. Distraction #74
4. The Weight of Lies
5. Tin Man
6. I Would be Sad
7. Pretty Girl from Matthews
8. Ill With Want
9. Pretty Girl from Cedar Lane
10. And It Spread
11. Go to Sleep
12. Solomon
13. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise
14. Murder in the City
15. Please Pardon Yourself
16. Skin & Bones
17. Die Die Die
18. Laundry Room

ENCORE

19. January Wedding
20. Talk on Indolence
21. I and Love and You

3. Black Keys @ Lifestyles Community Pavilion, August 13, 2010 (Outdoors) - Columbus - Took my best friend to this show and it was HOT (both in temperature and in energy). The Keys opened the set as a duo, brought out two extra guys for a run of new songs, then ended as two again. Unbelievable.

Set list:

1. Thickfreakness
2. Girl is on my Mind
3. The Breaks
4. Stack Shot Billy
5. Busted
6. Act Nice and Gentle
7. Strange Times
8. Everlasting Light
9. Next Girl
10. Chop and Change
11. Howlin' For You
12. Tighten Up
13. She's Long Gone
14. Ten Cent Pistol
15. Your Touch
16. I Got Mine

ENCORE

17. Sinister Kid
18. Till' I Get My Way

4. Band of Horses @ Lifestyles Community Pavilion, October 5, 2010 (Indoors) - Columbus - This was my second time seeing this band, but the first purely as an audience member (the first time I was lighting the show) The songs sound amazing live, and they always throw in some awesome covers.

(only video I could find from the show)

Set list:

1. Factory
2. Compliments
3. Marry Song
4. Weed Party
5. Too Soon
6. No One's Gonna Love You
7. Laredo
8. Part One
9. Older
10. Detlef Schrempf
11. Cigarettes, Wedding Bands
12. NW Apt,.
13. Is There a Ghost?
14. The Great Salt Lake
15. Hey, Lover
16. Live Like
17. Ode to the LRC
18. Wicked Gil
19. The Funeral

ENCORE

20. Georgia (Cee-Lo cover)
21. The First Song
22. Monsters
23. The General Specific

5. Drive-By Truckers @ The Beachland Ballroom, April 11, 2010 - Cleveland - DBT all the way down at #5? It was a great year for shows, so they had to drop. Still, this was the better of the two shows I saw this year, hitting some rarities and nailing some of my favorites.

Set list:

1. The Fourth Night Of My Drinking
2. 3 Dimes Down
3. This Fuckin' Job
4. Birthday Boy
5. Girls Who Smoke
6. Daddy Needs A Drink
7. Women Without Whiskey
8. Santa Fe
9. Get Downtown
10. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
11. After The Scene Dies
12. Sink Hole
13. Uncle Frank
14. Life In The Factory
15. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
16. Box Of Spiders
17. The Company I Keep
18. Eyes Like Glue
19. 18 Wheels Of Love
20. Marry Me
21. Play It All Night Long

ENCORE

22. Drag The Lake Charlie
23. Zip City
24. Let There Be Rock
25. Puttin' People On The Moon

6. Drive-By Truckers @ Newport Music Hall, October 6, 2010 - Columbus - Another great show, though this ranks below the Cleveland show due to the terrible sound and light attendance. The band always brings it, though, and I had a blast.

Set list:

1. After The Scene Dies
2. Self Destructive Zones
3. The Fourth Night Of My Drinking
4. Where The Devil Don't Stay
5. Drag The Lake Charlie
6. Birthday Boy
7. Box Of Spiders
8. One Of These Days
9. Santa Fe
10. Women Without Whiskey
11. Where's Eddie?
12. Mercy Buckets
13. Marry Me
14. Life In The Factory
15. Get Downtown
16. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
17. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
18. Gravity's Gone
19. Ronnie and Neil

ENCORE

20. Zip City
21. Sink Hole
22. 3 Dimes Down
23. Adam Raised A Cain
24. Let There Be Rock

7. Dr. Dog @ Newport Music Hall, February 12, 2010 - Columbus - What a fun band! The harmonies sound great live, and the audience energy was great (despite the heat being broken in February.....an indoor gig where the entire audience was in hats and coats!) Sadly, i can't find any video/set lists for this show, but I know they played every single song off of "Fate"

8. Jakob Dylan @ The Basement, July 6, 2010 - Columbus - This show was scheduled for the Newport but was moved to the tiny Basement due to poor ticket sales (which really surprised me). The venue was a million degrees, but the couple hundred of us who showed up got a very intimate show (no one was more than about 15 feet from the stage). Kelly Hogan was awesome singing backup, and the whole band was tight.

Set list:

Nothing but the Whole Wide World
Everybody’s Hurting
Smile when you call me that (Duet)
Holy Rollers for Love
God Says Nothing Back
Evil is Alive and Well (Fast version)
We Don’t Live Here Anymore
War is Kind
Truth for a Truth
All Day and All Night
Something Good this Way Comes
Will it Grow
Yonder Come the Blues
Standing Eight Count
Lend a Hand

ENCORE:

Sleepwalker
On Up the Mountain
Down in a Hole
They’ve Trapped Us Boys
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Wow, Zip, that's some kind of great detail. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming everybody. This is the stuff I live for.

Live music is better!