Artist of the Week 12/19/10 & 7/11/11 (Son Volt/Jay Farrar)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week 12/19/10 & 7/11/11 (Son Volt/Jay Farr

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Jay Farrar: 8-Track Heavana
Cool feature over on Adios Lounge.

Thanks for posting. Even though 8-tracks were a huge part of my listening experience when I was growing up, I never actually owned one myself (by the time I was old enough to drive, cassettes were in). Some of the first music to make an impression me was on 8-track. Here's just a few that come to mind:

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Goose Creek on 8-track! Tremendous.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:Goose Creek on 8-track! Tremendous.

The first (and so far only) time I saw them (MerleFest '96), they even made a comment, "that I bet the first time many of you heard us, it was on 8-track". Indeed, it was...

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Just because there hasn't been a post in almost a year:

1st Band on the cover....you don't see a lot of cats in band shots

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm seriously hoping for some Son Volt shows this year. Jay has been doing the duo thing with Gary Hunt for over a year and I've seen them and they're great. However, I am ready for some full band shows.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Good news: A limited number of the original first vinyl pressing of Trace has been discovered in the Son Volt vaults.
Bad news: Cost is $75

Buy it here.

Being that it is the twenty-year anniversary of the album, I have to imagine they have some sort of reissue/deluxe plan is in the works. Hopefully it includes a vinyl repressing for far less than 75 clams.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

From Son Volts facebook page
It's been 20 years!!!! Trace was originally released on September 19, 1995. On October 30, 2015, Rhino will release Trace: 20th Anniversary Edition to include remastered original tracks, demos, an 18-track 1996 live performance from NYC's The Bottom Line and liner notes from No Depression's Peter Blackstock. Also, on the same day, Rhino will re-issue the original album on 180-gram vinyl.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Ah, I was just coming here to post about how nice it would be to see a 20th anniversary vinyl reissue of Trace. Great news! I may bypass the bonus stuff completely but I will definitely be buying the vinyl reissue.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Has anyone purchased the vinyl version of the Trace reissue? In a disturbing trend (Truckers, Son Volt, etc), albums I've been anticipating for months have been only available on CD thus far (delays, negligent record stores, etc), and, well, you guys know what it's like to be a fan. Of course I bought IGTBA on CD, and will still buy the vinyl, too, but I'm not sure I need the CD version of the "deluxe" reissue of Trace if the bonus stuff also comes on the LP. My questions are: Does the LP come with a download for the bonus material? And are there liner notes (specifically, Jay's track-by-track commentary) in the LP? And how does it sound? Is it just another digitally-sourced, may-as-well-be-the-CD-version vinyl release, or does it sound warm and great and awesome?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

jimmyjack wrote:Has anyone purchased the vinyl version of the Trace reissue? In a disturbing trend (Truckers, Son Volt, etc), albums I've been anticipating for months have been only available on CD thus far (delays, negligent record stores, etc), and, well, you guys know what it's like to be a fan. Of course I bought IGTBA on CD, and will still buy the vinyl, too, but I'm not sure I need the CD version of the "deluxe" reissue of Trace if the bonus stuff also comes on the LP. My questions are: Does the LP come with a download for the bonus material? And are there liner notes (specifically, Jay's track-by-track commentary) in the LP? And how does it sound? Is it just another digitally-sourced, may-as-well-be-the-CD-version vinyl release, or does it sound warm and great and awesome?
I'm wondering the same thing.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

from the forum over at jayfarrar.net:

Packaging is minimal. No printed inner. No d/l card; no gatefold heavy card stock reissue here. The cover is matte not glossy. Surprising how NON-Celebratory this reissue is. I guess the artist picked the lease expensive package for rhino to bring to market....

The vinyl is 180gram and feels/sounds (if it weren't for the noise between tracks the pressing would be magically) great!

May actually just pass on this. Doing a reissue this way - at a time when LPs cost 3x what a CD does - defies logic.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:
cortez the killer wrote: Hundreds & Thousands, huh? Interesting. I'd be curious to see what the 1st 100 "perfect" records are. It would be simply scratching the surface for you, so I imagine it would be an easy exercise.
I could probably come up with 50 or 75* but if we took a poll here, I'm sure we could come up with lot more than that.** Sure, people would argue about some/most of them but it's obviously a subjective thing.

* here's a few off the top of my head: Exile/Sticky Fingers/Some Girls, Car Wheels, Darkness on the Edge of Town/Born to Run/Nebraska, Decoration Day, Trinity Session, Joshua Tree, Trouble in Mind. I could go on but have no desire to do so.

** in my mind, a "perfect" record does mean that every song is a stone classic - it means that each one is part of a perfect or complete whole. Or some shit like that.
Subjective as all fuck. Still don't see a "perfect" record on that list. Some of them are amazing, none of them are perfect, but thanks for supplying 11 of the thousands of perfect records. Pulling it back into this thread, none of those records are better than Trace.
who could have guessed?

btw, i bought the vinyl reissue of _Trace_yesterday and played it. amazing record, something Jay could never recover from.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Great interview with Jay over at Paste. Lots of great info on the influences and recording of Trace.

Catching Up With: Jay Farrar

By Ron Hart | November 5, 2015 | 6:00pm

On both a creative and commercial level, 1995 was a big year for alt-country—the launch of No Depression magazine, Emmylou Harris working with Daniel Lanois, Johnny Cash being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the veritable parade of classic albums that emerged by the likes of Whiskeytown, The Jayhawks, Tarnation, Scud Mountain Boys, and the Waco Brothers were bookended by the debut albums from the two factions that emerged upon the dissolution of the beloved Uncle Tupelo in 1994...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... arrar.html
Beebs is not a ragey man

jr29

Post by jr29 »

According to a post on Jay's message board Jay has recently taken to covering Merle Haggard's "Reasons To Quit."
Jay has the best taste in cover songs.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

jr29 wrote:According to a post on Jay's message board Jay has recently taken to covering Merle Haggard's "Reasons To Quit."
Jay has the best taste in cover songs.
Very cool. Looking forward to hearing this.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My day just got a little better...
http://sonvolt.net/notes-of-blue/

Clams

Post by Clams »

jr29 wrote:My day just got a little better...
http://sonvolt.net/notes-of-blue/
This news might even be big enough to bring Cortez out of the woodwork.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Jay is seriously covering the south on the first leg of the upcoming SV tour. I should make the Little Rock date and hopefully Nashville or St. Louis.

Kudzu Guillotine

Just posted to YouTube back in August.

bellevillemusic

Post by bellevillemusic »

http://gardenandgun.com/blog/first-list ... c-son-volt

Here are a couple tracks from the new record; Notes of Blue.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's pretty funny
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Will

Post by Will »

New one's streaming on NPR. So far it sounds like every Son Volt album, but that's not necessarily a complaint.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/09/514019357 ... t=20170209

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

http://nodepression.com/article/son-vol ... est-record

Was there ever any thought about Uncle Tupelo reuniting, even temporarily, and doing another record?

I don’t know. It’s hard to comment on that. There are so many variables. Tweedy and I have started emailing lately. I think we both realize there are so many other things to worry about other than the differences we had in the past. Things like sending our kids out into the world. Way more important things like that to tend to.

It could be interesting, even if it was a one-off. Of course, trying to replicate past glories can be problematic.

Yeah! There’s nothing in the works right now, but let’s see how it shakes out.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

dee dee wrote:http://nodepression.com/article/son-vol ... est-record

Was there ever any thought about Uncle Tupelo reuniting, even temporarily, and doing another record?

I don’t know. It’s hard to comment on that. There are so many variables. Tweedy and I have started emailing lately. I think we both realize there are so many other things to worry about other than the differences we had in the past. Things like sending our kids out into the world. Way more important things like that to tend to.

It could be interesting, even if it was a one-off. Of course, trying to replicate past glories can be problematic.

Yeah! There’s nothing in the works right now, but let’s see how it shakes out.
The fact that they are able to chat is very satisfying. I'd love to see them work together again, but I'd rather see them renew their friendship.
And let's not forget about Mike Heidorn.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

nice track by track conversation with farrar about the inspirations for notes of blue.

https://www.relix.com/articles/detail/t ... es_of_blue
“I've always wanted to do a recording that focused more on the blues. I’ve done a few blues-inspired songs over the years, but this recording was a chance to expand on it and, in particular, I wanted to explore the tunings and guitar voicings of Skip James and Mississippi Fred McDowell,” Jay Farrar explains, when detailing the origins of Son Volt’s new record, Notes of Blue.

However, Farrar did not solely draw inspiration from these two pioneering Delta blues players. He also identifies enigmatic British folk musician Nick Drake as an influence. Drake passed away in 1974 at age 26—in relative obscurity— after recording three albums, the best-known of which is 1972’s Pink Moon. Farrar points to that title track, noting, “There’s something magical about that tune in particular. There’s just a haunting effect when you listen to his music. He’s a master of his craft, and I don’t know if there’s ever been anyone before or since truly like him. He’s one of the icons that I hold up there.”

Initially, Farrar had two projects in the works, one of which he identifies as a Nick Drake-style English folk record.” However, while working on this material and performing acoustic shows for nearly two years, Farrar had a hankering to pick up an electric guitar, “and that meant a Son Volt record.” So he simultaneously began writing blues-based songs, with the two endeavors eventually converging.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

jr29 wrote:The fact that they are able to chat is very satisfying. I'd love to see them work together again, but I'd rather see them renew their friendship.
Well said. I'd, of course, love to see them make some music. But if I had to pick one I'd rather just see these guys on good terms. Always bothered me that these two guys who's work together and apart has been very important to me have had a long running grudge.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'd be satisfied with a "Farrar sits in for a few songs at a Wilco show" sort of thing
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:
jr29 wrote:The fact that they are able to chat is very satisfying. I'd love to see them work together again, but I'd rather see them renew their friendship.
Well said. I'd, of course, love to see them make some music. But if I had to pick one I'd rather just see these guys on good terms. Always bothered me that these two guys who's work together and apart has been very important to me have had a long running grudge.
Add in the aspect that the root of the grudge seemed so fucking petty and Im right there with you.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:
Beebs wrote:
Add in the aspect that the root of the grudge seemed so fucking petty and Im right there with you.
They were really young during the entire UT period. Jay has always seemed like a middle aged guy but they were just in their early- mid 20's when all that shit went down.

Call it off, make amends
This life burns down
From both ends

On another note, I'm loving the new album. "Threads And Steel" is a great example of how jay can be much less obtuse with his lyrics and still come up with a fucking gem.
I dig the recurring St. Louis and Mississippi River element of Jay's tunes and this album is full of them.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Wow !! Little Rock setlist copied from Jay's message board. Jay is bringing it .

Cherokee Street
Lost Souls
Buzz and Grind
Static
Damn Shame
The Picture
Dynamite
Tear Stained Eye
Midnight
Sinking Down
Back Into Your World
Catching On