Artist of the Week 12/19/10 & 7/11/11 (Son Volt/Jay Farrar)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Artist of the Week 12/19/10 & 7/11/11 (Son Volt/Jay Farrar)

Post by cortez the killer »

Do you like your rock to scorch? Do you prefer your waltzes to be weary? Are you a fan of a weepy country shuffle? Do you enjoy poetic lyrics, brimming with imagery and metaphor? Do you like to be challenged by the artists you follow?

Poet
Prophet
Pioneer
Bandleader
Midwesterner
Recluse
Purist
Genius
Road warrior
Husband
Troubadour
Guitar hero
Crooner
Stoner
Rocker
Father
Historian
Literary
Son
Soloist

The definition of success for me is just to have a creative outlet. I think that’s the ultimate reward. And hopefully, people can find something in it.

Through songwriting that loves to match eccentric word combination and is obsessed with language, Jay Farrar crafts some of the finest American music found today. Many of his songs are shaded by Kerouacian themes of loneliness and redemption on the road and a romantic longing for a more idealized world, while using the world we live in as inspiration. His music is dominated by feel and emotion.

I generally don’t write narrative-type songs or songs that tell stories. I do sometimes, but in general the songs are probably more just a lyrical collage. Or impressions.

While he has done a number of solo and collaborative projects, Jay is at his best when he writes and records under the Son Volt brand.

I’ve always been drawn to what four people could do just playing their instruments and trying to capture the live essence of that… When you record with a group, it really is a more collective experience, and you get a more collective result.

For facts and figures, there’s always Google. I’m going to use this opportunity to put a thread together with a look at what Jay has recorded with Son Volt. Each day I will post my assessment of a different Son Volt album. What better way to kick it off than with Trace? Further down the road, when this has lost its sticky powers, I might fill in the blanks with his solo albums and side projects. But for now, the focus will strictly be on The Volt.
Last edited by cortez the killer on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Re: Artist of the Week 12/19/10 - Son Volt

Post by Iowan »

I really dig the format here.

cortez the killer

When in doubt, move on. No need to sort it out.

After abruptly leaving the pioneering alt-country group Uncle Tupelo, Jay Farrar assembled original UT drummer Mike Heidorn and Blomquist brothers Jim & Dave to write the next chapter in his musical journey - Son Volt. During the fall of ‘95, the quartet released their debut album and masterpiece, Trace. Recorded in Northfield, MN and consisting of ten originals and one Ron Wood cover (“Mystifies Me“), musically speaking, Trace is not a drastic departure from the final Tupelo album Anodyne, which featured ear-piercing electric guitar solos, alongside soul-soothing pedal steel-fueled country weepers. Jay adheres to the classic guitar-bass-drum arrangement, leaving room for tradition accents like fiddle, dobra, and steel guitar. He also champions the live-in-the-studio approach to album making, 100% committed to using analog tape. While Farrar decided to mine similar ground sonically, the songwriting on Trace upped the ante significantly. I can’t emphasize enough just how strong the songwriting on this record is. Through stream of consciousness lyrics and a distinctive, melancholy vocal delivery, Farrar delivers an album that deals with concepts of time, alienation, travel and new beginnings. In “Route,” Farrar references “pillars of inspiration” then goes on to note they are falling down. I think this forms the basis of Trace. The dissolution, or falling down, of Uncle Tupelo, serves as the pillar of inspiration for what rose in the immediate wake of this, obviously painful, experience for Jay - Trace. So, without further ado, let’s get down to the first installment of the Son Volt discography.

“Windfall” (10)
They kick things off with the ultimate driving song. The best way to describe this one comes directly from a lyric contained in the song itself - “It sounds like 1963, but, for now, it sounds like heaven.” From there it goes on with a somewhat naïve, but hopeful desire of “May the wind take your troubles away.” An all-time great opening song for one of the greatest American albums ever recorded. You can’t set the tone any better than this.

“Live Free” (8)
After going acoustic to kick things off, Jay plugs right in signing about the “rhythm of the river.” That river, of course, is The Mighty Mississippi. Having grown up near it, Jay has long been mesmerized by the mythical powers of the Mississippi. This song is about missing someone you cannot be with (“Lights that shine are caustic without you.”), but holding out hope that someday you will meet again (“Someday we’ll be together, farther south than the train line. The delta mud will be there. We’re just living this way because we know no other.”).

“Tear Stained Eye” (10)
Staying plugged in did not last too long. Jay delivers his second masterpiece while “walking down Main Street, getting to know the concrete” and “looking for a purpose, from a neon sign.” Gorgeous pedal steel licks and sublime banjo picking put this song on a special level. Here we have another song inspired by the Mississippi River. This one is set in the riverbank town of St. Genevieve, MO (small town about 50 miles south of St. Louis.) Genevieve was originally settled around 1735, making it one of the oldest European settlements west of the Mississippi. During the massive flood in the summer of 1993, the town of and the town's historic district was threatened. People came from miles around to help build an enormous stone, earth, and sandbag levee to "hold back the water." It was a close call, but they ended up being successful, at least in the downtown area. The story got quite a bit of national attention at the time, Jay has said he heard about it on CNN. Inspired by the folks of Genevieve, Jay is looking to “hit the road, never looking behind” and to “throw away the bad news, put it to rest.” This song contains one of my all-time favorite lyrics (“If learning is living, and the truth is a state of mind, you’ll find it’s better at the end of the line.”) I mean, fuck, that’s some pretty powerful shit right there. There’s little doubt in my mind that this song represents part of the healing process from the failure of Uncle Tupelo.

“Route” (9)
I’m sensing a pattern here. Unplug. Plug in. Unplug. Plug in. This song sounds like something that would have not only fit it on UT’s Still Feel Gone, but shined. “Route” is the most transparent song detailing the break-up of Jay’s old band. ("Reality, it burns. The way we're living is worse. The pillars of inspiration are all falling down. The clean-up won't work while the fallout goes on.”) From this he concludes - “Here for now, transient tomorrow, we're all living proof that nothing lasts.”

“Ten Second News” (7)
The pattern remains as we have another acoustic number nestled between two electric powerhouses. I like this song, but it is probably my least favorite on Trace. I realize Jay is rather dour, but sometimes this one sounds and comes off just a bit too mopey. Jay uses Times Beach in Missouri (“Driving down sunny 44 Highway, there's a beach there known for cancer, waiting to happen.”) to remind us how quickly it can all disappear. The roads in the town were sprayed with oil to keep the dust down. The oil used had dioxin in it, and when the river flooded (“The levee gates are open wide. There's a cough in the water, and it's running into town.”), the whole town had to be evacuated. It has never recovered and now is a true ghost town. He juxtaposes this tale of woe with human feelings (“When you find what matters is what you feel, it arrives and it disappears.”) Needless to say, Jay does not exactly an uplifting outlook on things here. In trying to find what matters, he seems to come to the conclusion it doesn’t really matter in that everything you work for can be taken from you in an instant with no explanation or reason why.

“Drown” (8)
This song was somewhat of a hit on college radio when Trace came out. Considering what was getting airplay at the time (hard, crunching, guitar-driven rock and grunge), you can understand the how and why. This is a take-no-prisoners electric assault, with catchy riffs. Lyrically, this song seems to be about a relationship that has suddenly turned sour. And how does Jay propose that we deal with it? “When in doubt, move on. No need to sort it out.” You know, kind of like how he handled the whole Uncle Tupelo situation.

“Loose String” (9.5)
The pattern is finally broken. We have a mid-tempo song to work with. And it’s a damn fine song. It’s dangerously close to being a masterpiece, but it falls just a hair short of songs like “Windfall” and “Tear Stained Eye.” Some outstanding lyrics support the fine playing by the band. Jay seems to be adopting a carefree approach to things ("Not a care in the world. No better way to go. It's fine here, watching it go down."). This is further supported with his claims that “Too much living is no way to die” & “Too many rules, it will bleed you dry.” Our defeatist recluse seems to be lightening up a bit. Ah, but will it last?

“Out of the Picture” (9.5)
It didn’t last too long. The return of cry-in-your-beer, fatalist Jay. I’m fine with that though. This song is pure fucking country bliss to my ears. Damn, damn close to another masterpiece from Mr. Farrar. That road-weary, well-worn delivery is simply perfect here. We return to many of the themes mined in “Ten Second News” (“You may be quite sure you know where you're going, but sooner or later you're out of the picture.”). Our fates are predetermined and there’s nothing we can do to change them. So, enjoy the ride, because it is subject to end abruptly, with little or no warning (“Somewhere along the way, the clock runs out. Somewhere along the way, it all stands still.”).

“Catching On” (9)
I love the tone of the guitar on this one. It reminds me a lot of “Chickamauga’s.” And, like “Chickamauga,” it also drives me to uncontrollably break out into air guitar solos when appropriate. I see this as Jay coming to terms with a relationship he once had high hopes for. I think he now sees he has been taken advantage of and has moved on (“When you don’t see me, I’m catching on to you. Another jail, another burned-out inside skeleton love left to die. Take whatever lies ahead, the good with the bad, and leave the rest.”).

“Too Early” (10)
Initially, this song didn’t jump out at me like “Windfall” and “Tear Stained Eye.” But over time, it has built up an ability to just knock me on my ass. I guess I wasn’t listening close enough before. Damn! This one is powerful. I LOVE the accordion on this song. Not since “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy),” has the accordion been so expertly worked into a song. The slide guitar is from another planet. The lyrics are my absolute favorite. Right out of the gate he nails it (“Mileage has taken its toll. Paved it with lines to show. You've had your fill of asphalt, cough tremors, and smoke filled doors. Look like the habit controls you. Look like you need a rest. Made it to the timber line. Don't know what to expect.”). No Depression magazine’s co-founder Peter Blackenstock swears this song is about Townes Van Zandt. Considering the lyrics (“Song strains distant over barroom drink filled roar. The old folk singer lays it down. Not for long, no longer ignored, spinning tales of temptation, gambling days lost and won. No crimes committed here. Too much habit could be the one.”) and Jay’s affection for the deceased gypsy troubadour, he just might be on the money.

“Mystifies Me” (10)
Jay owns this Ron Wood song. This cover far surpasses the original. Obviously, Ron Wood wrote a good one, but Jay makes it great. He does so much so, that it is a masterpiece. “Stay a while and work it out of me. We've got time and we can cause it to. Just give me a sign. I’ll take your word. I’ll learn anything you want me to.” What happened to “When in doubt, move on. No need to sort it out.”? Considering all that Jay has laid out on the table, and painful situation he has just detailed, this is an interesting song for him to not only cover, but to use as the closer on this album. What’s he trying to convey here? As much as you try to have a personal philosophy, as much as you try to learn from your past mistakes and failed relationships, once you become smitten with someone, you lose all sense of reason and judgment? I don’t know, but obviously this song is about someone who can’t fully understand the object of their affection, but is willing to do whatever it takes to try and understand them and make it work.

Overall Score = 10 (One of the greatest albums ever recorded.)
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Fine work, Cortez. Looking forward the rest of the week.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Interesting so far, though (of course) I disagree with some of you scores. I think Drown is my least favorite song on Trace, while Ten Second News is my favorite (and your least favorite).

I just like the slower, acoustic stuff better than the "standard rock" stuff I guess
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:Interesting so far, though (of course) I disagree with some of you scores. I think Drown is my least favorite song on Trace, while Ten Second News is my favorite (and your least favorite).

I just like the slower, acoustic stuff better than the "standard rock" stuff I guess

The four songs that received perfect scores are slow and acoustic. I gave "Drown" an 8 (one of the lower scores given out, putting it in the bottom three for the album.) I still think it is a very good song. Do I need to provide you with an explanation of the 1-10 scale Zip?
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Well done Cortez. Always the innovator.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:Interesting so far, though (of course) I disagree with some of you scores. I think Drown is my least favorite song on Trace, while Ten Second News is my favorite (and your least favorite).

The four songs that received perfect scores are slow and acoustic. I gave "Drown" an 8 (one of the lower scores given out, putting it in the bottom three for the album.) I still think it is a very good song. Do I need to provide you with an explanation of the 1-10 scale Zip?

Look like a 7-10 scale to me

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Nice job there guy. Very clearly a labor of love.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Well, if the reviewer considers the album one of the greatest ever recorded, there's a very low likelihood that any particular song drops below that "7 out of 10" mark.

Unless it's an album that was great for some reason other than it was a collection of phenomenal songs.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm just busting balls. I love that album, and my only quibble was with him ranking my favorite song as his least favorite.

Will we get rankings for all the albums?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I'm just busting balls. I love that album, and my only quibble was with him ranking my favorite song as his least favorite.

Will we get rankings for all the albums?

Oh, I figured as much. I was just kind of in the mood to argue semantics/minutiae.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:“Windfall” (10)
They kick things off with the ultimate driving song. The best way to describe this one comes directly from a lyric contained in the song itself - “It sounds like 1963, but, for now, it sounds like heaven.” From there it goes on with a somewhat naïve, but hopeful desire of “May the wind take your troubles away.” An all-time great opening song for one of the greatest American albums ever recorded. You can’t set the tone any better than this.

as always, way excellent job. you definitely know ur shit. great read and cool format.

farrar is a god.

one homer nit pick.....u left out the best part of the windfall line.

don't think i took trace out of the disc changer for a year....sound track of my life for a long time.

looking forward to more.

more comments after digestion....

there's a cough in the water and it's runnin into town.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote: one homer nit pick.....u left out the best part of the windfall line.

I'm guessing you are bothered by the fact I didn't include the part where the radio station he's listening to is in Louisiana.

"Now and then it keeps you running
It never seems to die
The trail's spent with fear
Not enough living on the outside"

"Never seem to get far enough
Staying in between the lines
Hold on to what you can
Waiting for the end
Not knowing when"

"Trying to make it far enough, to the next time zone
Few and far between past the midnight hour
Never feel alone, you're really not alone..."

"Switching it over to AM
Searching for a truer sound
Can't recall the call letters
Steel guitar and settle down"

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel."

The writing is just top-notch, but the timbre of his voice, along with the note-perfect music take it to a whole other stratosphere.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:Will we get rankings for all the albums?

You'll have to wait and see.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Well, if the reviewer considers the album one of the greatest ever recorded, there's a very low likelihood that any particular song drops below that "7 out of 10" mark.

Unless it's an album that was great for some reason other than it was a collection of phenomenal songs.

5 would represent an average score. You can apply your own sense of logic from there.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:
"Switching it over to AM

always wondered if this verse was a fuck you to tweedy/wilco/am album.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
"Switching it over to AM

always wondered if this verse was a fuck you to tweedy/wilco/am album.

Quite possibly. The conspiracy theories are fun, but dangerous. Considering the way Jay seems to painfully pour over every detail, I'm sure the irony did not escape him.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

re: mississippi river playing a huge part in farrar art.

think i read that his dad was a river boat pilot or the like.

not to jump your gun, but i love all the river talk on acd.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:re: mississippi river playing a huge part in farrar art.

think i read that his dad was a river boat pilot or the like.

not to jump your gun, but i love all the river talk on acd.

Jay grew up on the river. I think I read somewhere his dad drove a barge or something like that. No Depression did a small feature a while back
on Jim "Pops" Farrar.

Jay was living in New Orleans the year before the album was written and recorded - "The delta mud will be there."
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:No Depression did a small feature a while back
on Jim "Pops" Farrar.

good reads. not aware that his dad was so musically inclined.

loved the line about roosevelt right wing socialism (tva? ppotm? uncle frank?)......thinking man's props and bitching all at once.

apple did not fall from....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We definitely see eye to eye on Too Early.....fucking amazing. Better (IMO) than Windfall

cortez the killer

Beebs wrote:Nice job there guy. Very clearly a labor of love.

Thanks there guy. Sheds some light on that killer tear.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I can't really discount "Drown" as it's what drew me to Trace to start with. Think it'd even get on the radio today? Probably not...

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Kick Ass Post. Way to tackle it.
Not forever, just for now.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:not aware that his dad was so musically inclined.

Shaking the hand of the rambling man from Montgomery
A music evangelist
A never ending quest
- DPM

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Way to do it up big. Passionate analysis of what has been my favorite record the last 3-4 years. As usual I learned a few things too. Looking froward to Straightaways

dime in the gutter

just a stop frame in time.

blackhawk never had a say.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Off the charts good job, Cortez. When I first discovered Son Volt I was living in Ste. Genevieve so Tear Stained Eye felt really good. Today I live about 3 minutes from old Times Beach. I have neighbors who grew up there.

cortez the killer

It’s not easy to change, not losing this thirst.

There is no way Jay and the boys can win here. Straightaways’ biggest flaw is that it followed Trace. While it may not be Trace, it is a damn fine record in its own right. Musically, all the same elements are present - hard-charging, electric guitar-fueled songs nestled alongside acoustic beauties, perfectly accented with fiddle, banjo, and steel guitar. And, of course, there is that voice. The pain that inspired Trace has dulled, and it is in the lyrics where the drop-off is most noticeable. Still, these are fantastic songs expertly executed by Jay, Dave, Jim, and Mike, who are now two years battle tested as a touring outfit. If you like your coffee black and/or your whiskey neat, you will appreciate Straightaways.

“Caryatid Easy” (8)
I just love the opening line to this song ("I remember one faded summer. I remember your curtain call.”) Nothing too complex going on here. Jay is fondly recalling a former love that did not quite make it. From the title (caryatid meaning a sculpted female figure (ancient Greece goddess-like) serving as an architectural support taking the place of column or a pillar), we can deduce he has placed her on a goddess-like pedestal. Some excellent power chords and string bending power this one along.

“Back Into Your World” (9)
Thus far, Jay has spared us the somewhat vague, cryptic songs that dominated Trace. This one is fairly straightforward as well. He’s on his hands and knees begging to taken back under “no uncertain terms.” Some more great lines here too. (“Can’t slow down. Burning at four-barrel speed. A battle cry to treat this absence.”) With Jay’s vocal styling, these type of songs are square in his wheelhouse.

“Picking Up the Signal” (7.5)
Jay returning to pattern sequencing his songs again. His writing here is also far more cryptic than the first two offerings. He also unleashes some short, burning guitar blasts, which I always welcome. I think he is an incredibly underrated guitarist. Basically, this song seems to be about weathering the storm (“After all this confusion is put aside, after all, going to finally make it right.”) with a belief that better days are down the road. He finds strength via the significant person in his life ("But I can't complain, cause I know you're around.").

“Left a Slide” (10)
"Put up the red flag, for matters close at hand" This song serves as a shining example as to why Jay Farrar is a fucking genius. What the fuck is he talking about? Left a slide into harm’s way? Huh? I couldn’t tell you what it means, but this song has seeped deep, deep into my being. There are some tremendous lyrics here via fragmented musings throughout this one. Jay’s stream of consciousness songwriting and weary delivery are front and center here. This is quintessential Farrar. Put a gun to my head, and I’m saying this song is about trying to make a doomed-from-the start situation work, but having it blow up in your face, and accepting the painful reality of the failure. (“Minefield is the word from the start. Watching out for the worst. Never clear till it hurts. Call it off to make amends. This life burns down from both ends.”).

“Creosote” (10)
Back-to-back masterpieces. For all intents and purposes, this belongs on Trace. This is a song about survival ("Interstate movin' again. Barrel through thick and thin, side by side, to survive like creosote.”). Creosote is the result of intense heat. You can burn wood, but it survives as creosote on the walls of your chimney like a battle-tested scar. The pedal steel accents this country shuffle perfectly. Jay lays down his philosophy again (“Born under a widespread changes, the search for higher reason. Learning the ropes okay, but fate just runs you around.”) Cruel fate rears its head again. You do all you can, but you are at the mercy of fate.

“Cemetery Savior” (7)
A cemetery savior. This is an interesting concept. What exactly is a cemetery savior? We know where she comes from (“Blown down from the northern skies, did time on the asphalt prairie.”). I get the sense this is about a woman who has simply checked out from whatever it was she was a part of (“You could change your ways, living long enough to stay. But you're leaving before the day breaks. Your proving ground is strange. Your proving ground is strange. No pain, no need to blink. You say it's better when you don't think.”). Perhaps this is another way of saying, “When in doubt, move on. No need to sort it out.” At least Jay is consistent.

“Last Minute Shakedown” (9)
Another classic country shuffle dripping with Farrar-infused melancholy. I love this shit. This is about the struggle of dealing with the ups and downs of what life throws at you (“Some days it’s a bull to drive. Some days it’s a walking dream.”). Nothing is ever like you envision it to be. (“Pieces break apart. Rearrange to make focus clear. Out of chaos comes order, then back again. The truth is plain, but not seen. Broken out by weathered thoughts, lifted up, leveled off, then carried down.”).

“Been Set Free” (4)
Jay is moaning like a dying man. I’m not sure this works all that well for him. His voice carries a weary feel as it is. This seems to be playing it up a bit much. It sounds like he’s trying too hard here. This is Jay’s take on the traditional murder ballad “Lillie Schull.” I appreciate the historic nod here, and I like that Jay is fiercely loyal to his influences of traditional American music, but the execution falls a bit short here for me. Jay excels when he interprets and makes it his own. Here he gets caught up in trying to sound far too much like those who influenced him.

“No More Parades” (5)
After starting out so strong, this album is starting to drag a bit. The picking on this song is nice (very bluegrassy), but I just have a hard time warming up to it. I’ve tried, but I just can’t get on board with it. The tale here isn’t too far removed from that of “After the Scene Dies.” However, this is about a relationship that is dying on the vine (“Don't know if you’re carin', truth is worth tearin'. Though we're miles apart, front door leavin's the way I've been feelin', twenty days overboard.”)

“Way Down Watson” (8)
One of the more sparse songs Jay has recorded with Son Volt. This song has a strong Townes Van Zandt vibe to it. And that’s a great thing. This is about acknowledging the bitter end. Rather than making it just another song about the subject, Jay makes it work with his unmatchable vocal delivery and his clever wordplay (“Put whiskey on the wounds, salt the glass, and say goodbye.”) The harmonica on this song is simply sublime.

Overall Score = 8.5 (A couple of minor hiccups near the end don’t offset the overall vibe here. This is just a really good record.)
- DPM