FUTUREBIRDS!!! DIG IT!!!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drtpants

FUTUREBIRDS!!! DIG IT!!!

Post by drtpants »

Wow. Just went to their site and checked out their vids. Pretty fucking cool. Like a perfect blend of the Felice Brothers and early My Morning Jacket. Liked it right away. Going back there to read the bio and stuff as I know nothing of them.

For those going to those late January shows after Athens, get there early. Enjoy.
Last edited by drtpants on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: FUTURBIRDS!!! DIG IT!!!

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sounds pretty good. Looking forward to seeing them.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Athens band. Made their debut at Chase Park. Doesn't look like they've made it out of the Southeast yet. Really like it a lot but I'm a " The Band" nerd like our buddy Patterson so these guys are right in my wheelhouse.

Been awhile since I heard something I liked right away. Thanks guys, I needed that...

scotto

Post by scotto »

I first learned about them through their Daytrotter session:

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/futurebirds-concert/20031356-51530.html

Nice stuff. Looking forward to picking up their album.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

So they have toured outside the southeast?

Ditto on picking up their stuff. It appears there is an e.p. and a long player. Here's hoping they have a shelf life longer the most Athens bands. I wish they were one of the openers on the upcoming 40Watt throwdown.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I just found them in the last week or two as well and feel the same way. Would be cool to see them open for DBT on their run.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

really good band. been following them from overseas since sometime last autumn...their s/t ep is really good, and so is hampton's lullaby although I haven't really given it the time it deserves yet.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

drtpants

Re: FUTUREBIRDS!!! DIG IT!!!

Post by drtpants »

It's official. My current favorite band.

BoomerIII

Post by BoomerIII »

Hey, so this is my first post. I've been reading 3DD for a while and figured I would create an account and it just so happens that this is another one of my favorite bands, other than DBT. Futurebirds are simply an amazing live band. Their album (Hampton's Lullaby) and their EP, are both great, but they do not do Futurebirds justice. If you get a chance to catch them live, do it. I have the amazing fortune to go to school in Athens, so I've seen them quite a few times this semester and they've yet to let me (or my friends) down. They always play kick-ass shows and they are all cool dudes. They played a show at the 40 Watt a couple weeks ago and Patterson was there. They are an amazing live band, but their live sound is very different than their studio sound. Not that anything is wrong with their albums, because I think their albums are awesome. BUT their live sound is just so much more ROCKING than their studio sound. I wish I could catch them opening for DBT at the end of January, it will be a pretty awesome show. They have a lot going for them, so if you don't have their album it is worth getting. You can get their EP here at a name your price type deal (http://futurebirds.bandcamp.com/). Anyway, I'm glad I finally started posting, but I would recommend Futurebirds to any DBT fan.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

well i'm an idiot. checked these guys out after reading this post a while back, liked what i heard, and made a mental note to see if i could find anything of theirs at my local vinyl shop. lo and behold, they actually had something. took it home, tossed it on the turntable and prepared myself to rock out, only to be unpleasantly surprised by some very unrocking, sub-decemberists hyper-literate chamber pop bs. turns out i bought an album by...the BOWERbirds. and you know who sucks? the bowerbirds. damn all these bands with their similiar sounding names.
Last edited by Duke Silver on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Duke Silver wrote:well i'm an idiot. checked these guys out after reading this post a while back, liked what i heard, and made a mental note to see if i could find anything of theirs at my local vinyl shop. lo and behold, they actually had something. took it home, tossed it on the turntable and prepared myself to rock out, only to be unpleasantly surprised by some very unrocking, sub-decemberists hyper-literate chamber pop bs. turns out i bought an album by...the BOWERbirds. and you know who sucks? the bowerbirds.

ur description actually kind of fits futurebirds also.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

:lol: i don't know... this bowerbirds album should have come packaged with a doily. and a monacle.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Duke Silver wrote::lol: i don't know... this bowerbirds album should have come packaged with a doily. and a monacle.

More of that doilycore stuff all the kids are listening to these days?

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:well i'm an idiot. checked these guys out after reading this post a while back, liked what i heard, and made a mental note to see if i could find anything of theirs at my local vinyl shop. lo and behold, they actually had something. took it home, tossed it on the turntable and prepared myself to rock out, only to be unpleasantly surprised by some very unrocking, sub-decemberists hyper-literate chamber pop bs. turns out i bought an album by...the BOWERbirds. and you know who sucks? the bowerbirds.

ur description actually kind of fits futurebirds also.

Sure...like the same description "kinda" fits Slayer. Give me a fucking break. You obviously haven't really checked them out. Busted.

dime in the gutter

seen them twice. own hampton's lullaby. kinda dug it for about a week or 2. a few very nice moments, but overall, kinda rehash and overly-done mmj spacy thing with a dash of dead confederate thrown in for cool daddies like you.

too much johnny utah, ur not ded and happy animals..... not enough battle for rome or hamptahn's lullaby.

if there is an alternate version of my truth, then pls splain it to me, dear dr.

can't find your helmet?

just my opinion.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Assuming you are speaking the truth, which I totally accept at face value that you are, I don't see how you could've made your previous comment. They sound absolutely nothing like the Decemberists.

And I think Dead Confederate are overrated.

dime in the gutter

it wasn't the decemeberistststs part of the post that was fairly ironic or even somewhat truthful....it was the part about unrocking, hyper literate, chamber pop bs.

makes perfect sense to me.....artistic license.

dig in hard. enjoy furutebirds....their gonna be the next big thing, at least for you.

sexy boys for sure. chix swoon for them and they smell nice.

still no helmet?

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Chicks swoon for those hairy, raggedy lookin' bastards? Hell, I rocked that look for years and it never got me laid. Also, although I like the lyrics I don't consider them to be hyper literate.

Where would you and your ilk be without guys like me to snipe at? Over at the Dead Confederate board I imagine. Face it: You want me,love me, need me. Without the villains around here it would just be a bunch of bootlicks jerking each other off.

How'd you get close enough to smell them without getting maced? And why did you buy a record by a band you think sucks? Must've been trying to impress your date that you had over to your place the next night, "Oh, Futurebirds? ...yeah I've been into them for YEARS and I think they're fabulous...please fuck me!"

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Duke Silver wrote::lol: i don't know... this bowerbirds album should have come packaged with a doily. and a monacle.

I was about to say I recently saw Bowerbirds open for the Chris Stamey orchestrated version of Big Star's Third at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro recently but after a bit of research I remembered it was actually a band called Birds & Arrows. That said, Bowerbirds were part of the actual orchestra section along with Birds & Arrows and Lost in the Trees. Then again, I'm easily confused because there's so many "bird" bands around here, in addition to the ones I already mentioned there's also Filthybird and Birds of Avalon.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

bird up. :lol:

scotto

Post by scotto »

drtpants wrote:Without the villains around here it would just be a bunch of bootlicks jerking each other off.

And?

dime in the gutter

somehow, i doubt it was your looks that kept you from getting laid.

ftr, i am glad you post here.

interesting that you think of yourself as a villian. artistic license, again....i guess.

keep rocking that internet tuff guy routine, it'll take you far.

stay golden, pony boy.

plus....you don't like in the ghetto. so there's that also.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

dime in the gutter wrote:somehow, i doubt it was your looks that kept you from getting laid.

interesting that you think of yourself as a villian. artistic license, again....i guess.

stay golden, pony boy.

Is that all you got? Run out of snappy comebacks and you reach for the old reliable "you're real tough on the message board" blahblahblah. Very disappointing. I must've hit pretty close to home with that "please fuck me" line.

drtpants 1, dime 0

stay golden, hipsterboy.

dime in the gutter

drtpants wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:somehow, i doubt it was your looks that kept you from getting laid.

stay golden, pony boy.

Is that all you got? Run out of snappy comebacks and you reach for the old reliable "you're real tough on the message board" blahblahblah. Very disappointing. I must've hit pretty close to home with that "please fuck me" line.

drtpants 1, dime 0

stay golden, hipsterboy.

gots plenty of snappy comebacks, just did not feel you warranted said snap....and at some point, the old adage about arguing with an idiot rings true.

i do hear the phrase, "please, fuck me" often, but it is typically from my wife of 20 years....who, btw, loves the futurebirds.

nice to see you can count also, coming up in the world quick. better slow down, dr t......don't wanna lose that "edge".

you and all the pretty girls love the futurebirds, i don't. that's cool.

skate easy, cool dude.

lemme help you out with your end for the next one......bullshit, more bullshit, even more bullshit. topped off by horseshit.

drtpants 2, dime 0.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

either of you guys wanna buy this bowerbirds record? gently used.

dime in the gutter

again, my wife totally digs the new futurebirds record.

i will give it an honest go. stay tuned.

where is drtpants to potentially gloat over me?

good bump.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This was a fun read.

I really like this new Futurebirds record. I'm digging back through the back catalog. Decent, but not as good as the new one. Some definite gems smattered in there though.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Back in the fall of 2014 I stumbled out of a football game at my alma mater, and a great band was playing basically in the parking lot if I remember correctly. The band was the Futurebirds, and I’ve liked them ever since. I think that afternoon I watched with twenty or thirty people. I only knew the year after searching through my phone for a video which I took. I’d love to see the Futurebirds open at Homecoming some year and realize that they probably did at some point.

Funny thing, whenever I ask Alexa to play the Futurebirds she mispronounces the band’s name.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Love a good backread.

I thought Hotel Parties was pretty good. This sounds even better.

Been on my list to catch a show. Missed them in Philly this last time.

Need to work on that.
Dave

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I’ve seen them open for the Truckers twice. Once atHomecoming and another time out in the woods at a show billed as being in Tallahassee but it was just out in the woods somewhere. They’re good live. Glad they’re still keepin on.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.