Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Post by Swamp »

I'm not very analylcal when it comes to most my music. Either I like it or I don't.......most of the time.
Any of yall that have been on this board or 9b for awhile know I have mixed feelings about this band.
They have never been my favorite but they are in my all time top 10. Before the crash I was more of a
casual fan, and how could I not be? They we from my own town. After the crash and for the next 4 or 5
years I was engulfed in everything that was available. I needed more than the 5 or 6 songs they played on
the radio. Before the crash I had Pronounced, Second Helping and One More From the Road. Within a month
after the crash I had everything else. I even ran into Linda Blair at a local record store the week following
the crash. She had beat me to the Skynyrd section and had got the last Street Survivors album. But no
worries, there was another record store around the corner and I got my copy there. Before they changed
the cover.
The Band formed in the mid 60's with Collin's, Rossington and Van Zant as the core of the band.They went
through many name and personal changes before settling on the name Lynyrd Skynyrd in reference to their
gym teacher, Leonard Skinner , who they blame for making them quit school. This was the line up that toured
behind Prononced and Second Helping
Ronald Wayne "Ronnie" Van Zant January 15, 1948 – October 20, 1977
Gary Robert Rossington born December 4, 1951
Bob Burns born November 24, 1950
Larkin Allen Collins Jr.July 19, 1952 – January 23, 1990
Leon Russell Wilkeson April 2, 1952 - July 27, 2001
Edward C. King born September 14, 1949
William Norris "Billy" Powell June 3, 1952 – January 28, 2009
Pronounced; I listened to side 2 much more than side 1, but not because of Freebird.
Things Going On, Mississippi Kid & Poison Whiskey were my favorites. A friend of mine, who was a big
Skynyrd fan and best friends with "little" Leonard (see tales from the swamp), used to tell me he didn't
like Neil Young cause he was too political. Then I would point out Things Going On and Saturday Night
Special not to mention Sweet Home Alabama. This same friend is now a very far right Republican and
the only emails I get from him are political. Go figure.
Second Helping; Although SHA is the song that got me into Skynyrd , it might not have had they not
mentioned Neil. I Need You is my all time fav Skynyrd tune. Allen's solo on INY, imo, is better than
Freebird. The Needle and the Spoon. is another fav. Did ole Neil inspire this song too? Other favorites include
Don't Ask Me No Questions and of course Swamp Music.(not where I got my username) Bob Burns left the band
after this album.
New drummer
Thomas Delmer "Artimus" Pyle born July 15, 1948
Nothin' Fancy; This album had just come out when I got to go to my first concert. I was really there
for CDB. Skynyrd was just the icing on the cake. I only got Saturday Night Special before Ronnie
started puking and left the stage. Then it turned into a riot. I didn't feel this album was near as good
as the first 2 but I'm a Country Boy and Whiskey Rock-A-Roller remain favorites today. According to
Johnny, they don't perform WR-A-R any more because it's a bad image to betray.....OMG! reallly!
Ed King left the band in the middle of the night during this tour.
Gimme Back My Bullets; Their first, and only, album with only 2 guitars and it just wasn't the same.
Actually Pronounced just had 2 guitars with overdubs. But I still have favs on this one. I Got the Same
Old Blues, Double Trouble, Searching and Cry for the Bad Man. A few of the songs on this album featured
back up vocals by a black female trio called the Honnicutts. I could not find any information on them.
While touring for this album they hired the back up singers know as the Honkettes
Deborah Jo "JoJo" Billingsley May 28, 1952– June 24, 2010
Leslie Hawkins (no info)
Cassie LaRue Gaines January 9, 1948 – October 20, 1977
"Can my brother sit in?"
Steven Earl Gaines September 14, 1949 – October 20, 1977 (same birthday as Ed, the guitarist he replaced)
One More From the Road: One of my favorite live albums, next to J Geils, Blow Your Face Out. Steve
Gaines had just joined the band and they were back to their old form. The first time I heard anything
off this album I was working at McDonalds when my boss, a guitar player named Tom Collins, called
me into the break room. Was a country band doing Freebird ? But then it got to the jam at the end.
Oh yeah, that's Allen! Travellin' Man became an immediate fav, along with their covers of Crossroads
& T for Texas. I also liked the live versions of Call Me the Breeze and Working for MCA better than
the SH versions.
Street Survivors; Although they had pretty much made the big time, this album was going to put them
over the top. I had only heard That Smell before the crash. After getting the album, SS would be my
favorite for the next 6 months. That Smell is my only real favorite on this one these days.
After the plane crash there were many best of's and other compilations of their music released along
with previous un-released stuff'.
In 1979 the remaining members formed the Rossington Collins Band. Not to be compared to Skynyrd,
they hired Dale Krantz, former 38 Special back-up singer to sing lead. Barry Harwood, who plays
mandolin on Skynryds All I Can Do Is Write About It, would be 3rd guitar. Dereck Hess
replaced Artimus Pyle who was injured in a motorcycle accident just as they were reforming.
They made 2 albums that I like better than Street Survivors. Allen really lost it after his wifes death
and in 1982 the band came to a screeching halt. We saw the first tour and it was a really high energy
show. I really wish they would have lasted.
In 1987 the Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band was formed. Allen was parilized shortly before the band
reformed and was replaced by Randall Hall. Ed King rejoined the band and Ronnies younger brother
became the new front man. Artimus also rejoined them on drums. That very first show in Jax was real
emotional. I didn't see them again for another 20 years. Allen died on Jan. 23 1990 (DBT will be playing
at the Freebird on the 21th anniversary of that date)
The 87 reunion tour was suppose to be a one time deal but everyone wanted to see them and they
continued to tour even adding a second drummer named Custer. In 1991 they started making albums
again. 7 studio and some live albums. None of which measure up to what the original band produced.
There are a couple songs on each that I like but over all they just don't do it for me. Out of all the cds
they've made since the reunion, Endangered Species is my favorite. It's more of an acoustic album
with some old stuff and new stuff and a great cover of Heartbreak Hotel. I really like the addition
of the back-up singers singing Southern Man during SHA.
In 1991, due to all his injuries over the years, Artimus just couldn't keep up anymore and left the band.
He was replaced by Michael Cartellone, who took over all the drumming duties. In 1993 Randall Hall was
replaced Mike Estes. Ed King left the band in 1996 due to heart problems and was replaced by Hughie
Thomasson, At the same time Ricky Medlocke who played drums for them in the early days replaced
Mike Estes. Leon Wilkerson passed away in July of 2001. He was replaced by Ean Evans who had
played with Hughie in the Outlaws. Hughie left the band in 2005 to reform the Outlaws. The band went
through a few guitar players before settling with Mark Matejka in 2006.
That was the line-up when we saw them in Jan '07. Well except for Gary who had fallen down his stars
new years day, and broken his face. I just can't win with this band (see tales from the swamp) "Billy Powell
and 6 other guys" I called the band. Billy Powell, Johnny Van Zant, Ricky Medlocke, Ean Evans, Michael
Cartellone and I have no clue who filled in for Gary. Because of DBT, in a round about way, we ended up
on the first Skynyrd cruise "Gimme Three Days". I was more in the anti-skynyrd camp at the time but
it would be a good chance to get up close and personal with 38 Special, Kevn Kinney, Rick Richards
and some other bands I wanted to check out. We had a blast. The last day Skynyrd did a surprise
Acoustic set on the pool deck. That day I came back from the dark side. The happiness in that crowd
was the most infectious I've ever been in. These people were so freakin happy. Who was I to stand up
there and scream "are all yall completlly out of your fucking minds!" "It's Billy Powell and 6 other guys
for christ sakes" No, they were making people happy and sometimes that's what it's all about. This will
be the 5th and last year they fill up a boat, but they always do. We went on the first 3 cruises. Billy passed
away shortly after the 2nd cruise and Ean passed away about 3 months later. Peter Keys of the 420 Funk Mob
replaced Billy and Robert Kearns of The Bottle Rockets replaced Ean. On the 3rd cruise I didn't even make
it to their shows. Too many other bands to see. I probably would never pay to see them again
either. But say what you will, as long as people pay to see them, they will tour.
There's only one good song on their latest cd. Floyd, with Rob Zombie. I think the rest of the cd, God and
Guns, is their attempt to respond to Neil Youngs Living with War. If I just had time to match the 2 cd's up.
Last edited by Swamp on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

The Black Canary

Re: Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynryd

Post by The Black Canary »

Great job Swamp, good read, well put.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Great point @ the end there about the "new" Skynyrd. It's easy for us music snobs to slam it for being a bastardized version which has sold out and is basically doing and supporting things that would make Ronnie roll over in his grave. All of this is true, but so what? They're bringing people joy.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Love Skynyrd but it has always blown my mind that so many people think they are in the conversation with the Allmans for greatest Southern Rock band. It's not close in my opinion. At Fillmore East buries anything LS ever did.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Saturday night I went to something called The Great Cover Up at King's in Raleigh where local bands cover other artists. I like to be surprised but I overheard someone say who the band Tonk would be covering, Lynyrd Skynyrd. I quickly grabbed a beer and secured a spot in front of the stage. I told a friend that I hoped they'd open with "Workin' For MCA", which they did. The rest of the set included (in this order): "I Ain't the One", "Needle & the Spoon" and "Don't Ask Me No Questions". While I did holler out, "play some ol' honk!" I didn't hear anyone request "Freebird". Word was, they were one of the very favorites of the three day event. Very cool to see such a nice reception for Skynyrd from what can be a largely hipster type crowd. Honk, who I just saw cover The Connells at a tribute to them at King's just a few weeks ago, was augmented by members of Bandway and Polvo. Their usual style is old school honky tonk (imagine that) but both The Connells and Skynyrd fit them well. The videos below don't do them justice but I can tell you the whole place came to life the moment the first notes of "MCA" rang out from the stage.

Kudzu Guillotine

drtpants wrote:Love Skynyrd but it has always blown my mind that so many people think they are in the conversation with the Allmans for greatest Southern Rock band. It's not close in my opinion. At Fillmore East buries anything LS ever did.

It's never been a competition to me. I love both bands but they come at it from totally different angles.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

drtpants wrote:Love Skynyrd but it has always blown my mind that so many people think they are in the conversation with the Allmans for greatest Southern Rock band. It's not close in my opinion. At Fillmore East buries anything LS ever did.

thier styles were so different it's hard to even compare them. I prefer LS over ABB anyday. There was no pretension in LS.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Don't confuse pretension with TOTAL MASTERY. I hate 20 minute jams as much as the next guy but ABB pulled that off IMO. I don't hear pretension at all when I listen to them. I hear Duane and Dickey pretty much laying the template for white guys playing the blues. No one has topped them in that regard. Clapton and his ilk are amateurs compared to Duane in particular.

Kudzu Guillotine

I remember an interview with Rossington where he said Skynyrd were heavily influenced by British blues bands such as Free, Cream, etc. that had been strongly influenced by American blues artists while on the other hand the Allmans were directly influenced by American blues artists. While I consider the Allman Brothers Band Southern Rock pioneers, Skynyrd is my favorite.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

great job swamp. fantastic band. fucking great songs. big chops. all timers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I have no idea who wins Skynyrd vs. The Allmans, but to me these three songs are perfection...

Ballad of Curtis Loew - I have such a clear picture in my mind of what Curtis might look like.
Simple Man - such wisdom. And those guitars.
Tuesday's Gone - that ending jam, so sad but so beautiful
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Seriously? Everybody here likes Skynyrd better? I know this is a LS thread but I'm shocked that I appear to be a member of such a seemingly extreme minority.

Allmans probably have better drugs :mrgreen:

Clams

Post by Clams »

drtpants wrote:Seriously? Everybody here likes Skynyrd better? I know this is a LS thread but I'm shocked that I appear to be a member of such a seemingly extreme minority.

Allmans probably have better drugs :mrgreen:

two people - Smitty and Kudzu - have come out for Skynyrd over the Allmans. That's hardly "everybody here."
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Great writeup Swamp. I know from reading your 'tales' that you bring an insight into this band that no one else here could. I went to see the Who in Dec. '73. Their opening act was some band named Lynyrd Skynyrd. None of my boys or I, had ever heard of them (and we considered ourselves in-the-know on such matters). All we wanted was for them to play their shit & get the hell off so we could see the Who (who were rock Gods to us). 2 minutes in & we forgot the Who were even comin' up next (the Who did shine that night playin' Quadrephenia). Within weeks everybody & his brother was all over Skynyrd. Their sound personified the rebel attitude that we rural punks wished to project. They were our voice. Then they were gone.

drtpants wrote:Don't confuse pretension with TOTAL MASTERY. I hate 20 minute jams as much as the next guy but ABB pulled that off IMO. I don't hear pretension at all when I listen to them. I hear Duane and Dickey pretty much laying the template for white guys playing the blues. No one has topped them in that regard. Clapton and his ilk are amateurs compared to Duane in particular.

The Allman Bros. jams always had structure. They didn't meander like the Dead did. I don't hear pretension either, just technical precision. Had the Allman Bros. disbanded after Brothers & Sisters (w/the death of Berry Oakley); their legacy would be unblemished (like Skynyrds). I'm glad they pushed on (in various re-incarnations). They play great music, and Warren Haynes is a worthy substitute for any guitarist.

Both the Allmans & Skynyrd are awesome bands, but comparisons are unfair because they were on different missions.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Great job, Swamp. And I've always enjoyed the Gainesville stories you post here.

Here is my Skynyrd story. When I was 13 I had a paper route. I was also a piano player but didn't have any gear which was a drag. I wanted in on the basement and garage jams my friends started having. So I saved up my money and bought a Sound City electric piano. This was the year following the plane crash and every band in my town wanted to play Skynyrd songs. Especially "Freebird". So I learned a bunch of Skynyrd songs. This gave me an invite to every jam session within three towns. Billy Powell and Billy Preston were probably my first influences as a keyboard player.

When punk rock came around it wasn't cool to admit to liking Skynyrd. I kept my Skynyrd albums in the back of my rack, but still listened to them when nobody else was around.

One thing that always amazes me about Skynyrd is how many great songs are on their first album. "Tuesday's Gone", "Gimme Three Steps", "Simple Man" and "Freebird" would be career defining songs for any artist. But those four songs on a debut album? It is simply jaw dropping. Rossington, Collins and Van Zandt were one of the best songwriting teams ever.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

As far as the Allman Brothers Band versus Lynyrd Skynyrd debate goes? Come on, guys. It isn't like we have to choose one over the other. This isn't communism! We can have both!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

RevMatt wrote:When punk rock came around it wasn't cool to admit to liking Skynyrd. I kept my Skynyrd albums in the back of my rack, but still listened to them when nobody else was around.

I never have taken that approach and quite frankly never saw any need in it. If your friends can't accept you for who you are then they aren't really your friends. My nephew grew up a hardcore punk and would have everyone believe that he absolutely hates the Grateful Dead (not to mention their fans) but in private will reveal that he does like a couple of their albums. What's the use in that, why not just be honest about it? Years ago, I met someone that used to be a Deadhead that now hates them, their fans and everything they stood for. He even went so far as to have an X tattooed over an old Dead tattoo and added 666 beneath it. That's going out of your way to express your hatred for something, another thing that I've never understood. Couldn't that energy have been channeled towards something positive? It's fine if you don't like the Grateful Dead (or whoever) but why the outright hatred for them?

On the other end of the spectrum I have friends I grew up with that like Nickelback and are still listening to the same stuff we did in high school with no interest in anything that has happened since. Do I give them shit? No, I don't because the only thing that would accomplish is alienating them.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

I'd like to think I could give my friends shit without them thinking I don't love them any more. I have a friend who likes the band Dope and I never miss an opportunity to tell him that they completely suck.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

On the other end of the spectrum, I have some decidedly redneck in-laws that listen to whatevers on CMT or BET, you know the kind, their truck on 44's and covered in mud blasting Lil Jon & The Eastside Boys, who try to give me shit for the music I listen to. It doesn't work.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't think there's any one way to be friends.

But i do think it's unrealistic not to expect people, especially teenagers, to have a lot of emotional baggage and angst associated w/ their musical tastes. That in turn means that people will sometimes do funny things relating to that perceived vulnerability. Music is such a big identifier and shorthand for so much, again, especially for teenagers. Of course it's silly, but it can't be denied. Peer pressure, man.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:I don't think there's any one way to be friends.

But i do think it's unrealistic not to expect people, especially teenagers, to have a lot of emotional baggage and angst associated w/ their musical tastes. That in turn means that people will sometimes do funny things relating to that perceived vulnerability. Music is such a big identifier and shorthand for so much, again, especially for teenagers. Of course it's silly, but it can't be denied. Peer pressure, man.

I don't know if you were referring to my post, but the guys I were referencing are in the late twenties/early thirties. :roll:

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Holy crap, nice one Swamp....

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:On the other end of the spectrum, I have some decidedly redneck in-laws that listen to whatevers on CMT or BET, you know the kind, their truck on 44's and covered in mud blasting Lil Jon & The Eastside Boys, who try to give me shit for the music I listen to. It doesn't work.

I get a lot of "where do you find this shit?" from friends. Some that like what I'm listening to and some that don't. I don't go around trying to convert people to the kind of music I like but what I have found is that I'm no more going to convince them to like the Drive-By Truckers than they're going to successfully sell me on the artistic merits of Montgomery Gentry. Of course there's always exceptions but for the most part that's been my experience.

When I was in high school my friends and I shared pretty much the same musical tastes in the music of the day whether it be Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Rush, etc. What they didn't always get was my fandom for the likes of Buffett, David Allan Coe, Waylon, Willie, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, John Prine and others that leaned in more country direction. They didn't necessarily give me shit for it, they just didn't get those artists. I may be totally off the mark here but I think my love of those artists came from growing up the youngest of six kids in a household where on any given day you might hear Janis, James Brown, Cash, Steppenwolf, Dylan, Leon Russell, Aretha Franklin, Conway Twitty, the Beatles, Alice Cooper or the Grateful Dead. My parents loved country of the Loretta Lynn variety, my sister loved soul/R & B and my older brothers were into some of the same kind of stuff in addition to rock n' roll. It probably also helped that my parents never once put any of us down for the kind of music we listened to. They might yell at us to turn it down but that's as far as it went. They actually took an active interest in the music I listened to. That might mean my Mom dancing along to "Things Goin' On" or my Dad asking me questions about Kiss. I feel very fortunate to have grown up in such a household. My room was filled with music posters, blacklight posters and a calendar from Alice Cooper's Killer album that depicted him hanging from a noose. They never asked me to take it down, nor did they refuse to allow me to listen to his music (or the music of any artist for that matter). Meanwhile, other parents across the nation weren't so tolerant. They wouldn't allow certain albums to be allowed into their homes, such as Killer, especially after a few kids decided to emulate Alice by hanging themselves. I will always be grateful for having such great parents and siblings with impeccable musical taste.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Count me in as one of those that generally prefers Skynyrd to the Allmans.

But I see it this way: Skynyrd = better songs; Allmans = better musicianship. That said, Skynyrd was a great collection of musicians, and the Allmans wrote some great songs.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:Count me in as one of those that generally prefers Skynyrd to the Allmans.

But I see it this way: Skynyrd = better songs; Allmans = better musicianship. That said, Skynyrd was a great collection of musicians, and the Allmans wrote some great songs.

Let me guess: You're in law school. :lol: :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:Count me in as one of those that generally prefers Skynyrd to the Allmans.

Let me guess: You're in law school. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, yeah....

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
RevMatt wrote:When punk rock came around it wasn't cool to admit to liking Skynyrd. I kept my Skynyrd albums in the back of my rack, but still listened to them when nobody else was around.

I never have taken that approach and quite frankly never saw any need in it. If your friends can't accept you for who you are then they aren't really your friends. My nephew grew up a hardcore punk and would have everyone believe that he absolutely hates the Grateful Dead (not to mention their fans) but in private will reveal that he does like a couple of their albums. What's the use in that, why not just be honest about it? Years ago, I met someone that used to be a Deadhead that now hates them, their fans and everything they stood for. He even went so far as to have an X tattooed over an old Dead tattoo and added 666 beneath it. That's going out of your way to express your hatred for something, another thing that I've never understood. Couldn't that energy have been channeled towards something positive? It's fine if you don't like the Grateful Dead (or whoever) but why the outright hatred for them?

On the other end of the spectrum I have friends I grew up with that like Nickelback and are still listening to the same stuff we did in high school with no interest in anything that has happened since. Do I give them shit? No, I don't because the only thing that would accomplish is alienating them.

I was sixteen years old at the time and was concerned with keeping my punk rock/indie cred. Indie cred was an eighties concept. You had to be there to understand it. But certain things could cost you your indie cred back then. Listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd was considered a major transgression. But you have to understand the times. I got my ass kicked at a party in 1981 for wearing a Clash t-shirt by a couple of Led Zeppelin fans. Punk rock was very divisive.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The indie/hipster cred thing still exists, RevMatt. You probably have less chance of actually getting your ass kicked, but in some circles you're likely to be either laughed at or looked as backward for liking a band like Skynyrd, unless you're doing it to be"ironic". It's all moronic, if you ask me.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:The indie/hipster cred thing still exists, RevMatt. You probably have less chance of actually getting your ass kicked, but in some circles you're likely to be either laughed at or looked as backward for liking a band like Skynyrd, unless you're doing it to be"ironic". It's all moronic, if you ask me.

Pretty much.

I've never seen someone get their ass kicked over taste in music (must be a Jersey thing, Rev), but this whole idea that you have to like certain bands if you're part of a certain circle and hate others to be in that circle is why I thought the whole punk scene was completely moronic by the time I was 16-17. It certainly exists, and a lot of folks I know that have pretty good taste in music will thumb their nose at about anything that has a Southern sound, unless it's something like DBT or Son Volt and media has told them these bands are worthwhile.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

drtpants wrote:I'd like to think I could give my friends shit without them thinking I don't love them any more. I have a friend who likes the band Dope and I never miss an opportunity to tell him that they completely suck.

Same thing. I have a good friend who loves Seether and Sevendust. We always tell him they blow, and give him shit. Of course, he's a huge DBT fan, too. Kind of all over the board and very comfortable with his unusual tastes.