Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From the SHOWCO page on Facebook, I've never seen this particular shot before. It was taken on October 20, 1977, the day the crash occurred.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

The guy that took over as musical director for the stadium in Jax said he would no longer play
"Sweet Home Alabama" over the P A system. :( (it always fired up the crowd) The Jags haven't won a game since.
It's the "Sweet Home Alabama Curse"

On a related note, the Simple Man cruise left port yesterday. 5 days of RnR on the high seas.
We'll be doing "Swamp's Lynyrd Skynyrd Reality Tour" this weekend. :D
Just wish I had a short bus.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Kudzu Guillotine

Johnny, Donnie and Ronnie. Ronnie would have been 66 yesterday.

Kudzu Guillotine

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

kickass vid!!! thanks for sharing

Kudzu Guillotine

dbtfan4life wrote:kickass vid!!! thanks for sharing

No problem. I'd love to hear more from Rickey, especially about the early days of Skynyrd and Blackfoot. Speaking of which, funny how the current state of Blackfoot (they're touring and recording with no original members) was completely skirted in the interview.

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm pretty sure I've never seen this before but I did hear bits and pieces from this concert on the radio way back when. If I'm not mistaken, this is the very first time the surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd had convened onstage together since the plane crash. It was also the last time Allen Collins performed with Lynyrd Skynyrd in any form. For this version of "Freebird", they're joined by Charlie Daniels and members of the Charlie Daniels Band at Charlie's Volunteer Jam V, which was held on January 13, 1979 at Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. This rendition of "Freebird" takes on an extra air of poignancy as no one sings lead vocals (just as they would do on the Tribute tour in '87). When they reformed for good in 1987, their first appearance was also at one of Charlie's Volunteer Jams (see below).

Tennessee Concerts
Lynyrd Skynyrd's very first reunion after the 1977 Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash.
Surviving members of the band perform "Call Me the Breeze" with several members
of the Charlie Daniels Band at Volunteer Jam V in Nashville, Tennessee at the
Municipal Auditorium in 1979. Skynyrd band members included Allen Collins,
Gary Rossington, Billy Powell and Artimus Pyle. Leon Wilkeson still had a cast on
his arm and could not play, although he did come out on stage. Taz DiGregorio (R.I.P.)
from the Charlie Daniels Band sang on this version of "Call Me the Breeze". Charlie Daniels
& Charlie Hayward from the CDB also played on this, as well as
conga player Jamie Nichols. The Nashville Volunteer Jam was an annual event
hosted by the Charlie Daniels Band in the 70's & 80's. This was the first song of
the first Lynyrd Skynyrd reunion since the plane crash that killed 3 members.

Volunteer Jam XIII September 6, 1987 Starwood Ampitheater, Nashville TN

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I don't know how to put a YouTube vid up w/ a pic, just know how to do the link, but if you haven't seen this, and love early Skynyrd ('75), check out this amazing show from Winterland in San Fran. I'd seen it before (and sorry if it's been posted), but it crept back into my world this afternoon. And after a few beers, it's as real and authentic as anything I've ever heard. Turn it up - the band's hot tonight! Black and white footage to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QR28CzONi8

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

ramonz wrote:I don't know how to put a YouTube vid up w/ a pic, just know how to do the link, but if you haven't seen this, and love early Skynyrd ('75), check out this amazing show from Winterland in San Fran. I'd seen it before (and sorry if it's been posted), but it crept back into my world this afternoon. And after a few beers, it's as real and authentic as anything I've ever heard. Turn it up - the band's hot tonight! Black and white footage to boot.

If you quote this post you can see what I did to your original youtube link. Basically just use the youtube button instead of the URL, and leave out everything but the cryptic code after the '=' sign in the youtube-URL.

And thanks for the the heads up.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm pretty sure I've never seen this before but I did hear bits and pieces from this concert on the radio way back when. If I'm not mistaken, this is the very first time the surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd had convened onstage together since the plane crash. It was also the last time Allen Collins performed with Lynyrd Skynyrd in any form. For this version of "Freebird", they're joined by Charlie Daniels and members of the Charlie Daniels Band at Charlie's Volunteer Jam V, which was held on January 13, 1979 at Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. This rendition of "Freebird" takes on an extra air of poignancy as no one sings lead vocals (just as they would do on the Tribute tour in '87). When they reformed for good in 1987, their first appearance was also at one of Charlie's Volunteer Jams (see below).

I believe it was aired live on the radio here in Jax. I taped the whole thing on cassette but have no clue where it is now. I did not know there was video.
Thanks for this. I remember tearing up that night.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Kudzu Guillotine

Swamp wrote:I believe it was aired live on the radio here in Jax. I taped the whole thing on cassette but have no clue where it is now. I did not know there was video.
Thanks for this. I remember tearing up that night.

I didn't know there was any footage either, I just remember listening to the broadcast on our local AM country station while me and one of my other brothers were out gathering firewood.

Kudzu Guillotine

From the All Things Music Plus page on Facebook:

Ron Eckerman, a survivor of the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash, passes.

Ron Eckerman was an early pioneer in the concert industry. In 1973, he began producing concert tours and created a concert lighting / tour management company, Clearlight Enterprises. The organization toured with the top bands of the era: Fleetwood Mac, Peter Frampton, Willie Nelson, WAR, Humble Pie, Foghat, Alvin Lee, Waylon Jennings, Trapeze, Montrose, Gary Wright, Foreigner, and many others.

In 1976, he took on the challenge of managing Lynyrd Skynyrd tours, and witnessed and participated in their meteoric rise to fame and worldwide acclaim.
After recovering from the tragic plane crash that put an end to the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eckerman went on to produce in television, film, and stage, and taught theater and artist management at Santa Monica College.

Mr. Eckerman has been writing short stories, technical manuscripts, and financial articles for the past few years.

His book "Turn it Up!" is a memoir about his experience with the 1970's concert scene and the rise and fall of one of the world's most legendary rock bands, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

RIP Brother.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Anybody read Turn It Up?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:Anybody read Turn It Up?

This is the first I've heard of it but may have to check it out.

Kudzu Guillotine

From the October 17, 1978 issue of Circus magazine.

Remainder of the review:

...is not what makes Skynyrd's First And ... Last their finest hour as well. Rather, it's the uncompromising drive -- untempered by commercial considerations -- at the heart of every performance that makes this record a winner clear away. And if you gotta go, there's no better way to say goodbye.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Skynyrd's First: The Complete Muscle Shoals / First And Last record is just fantastic.

It's a testament to their songwriting abilities that they had Comin' Home and Was I Right or Wrong and they never released them in the band's original lifetime.

Kudzu Guillotine

Something I hadn't really thought about before that was pointed out to me last night via the comments on YouTube are the similarity between "Ain't Too Proud To Pray" and "Get Where I Belong" by Free. Skynyrd always readily admitted they were influenced by Free which I definitely heard in their rock stuff but not so much in their mellower material, except it's very prominent here. The Rickey Medlocke songs reveal a very different side of Skynyrd, one that's so different that those songs almost don't sound like them at all. It may be for that reason that he doesn't sing those songs in the current version of the band but I think it would be cool if he were allowed to. Also sad that he's not allowed to contribute new songs and is pretty much relegated to playing the part of Allen Collins in the current version of the band. Maybe even stranger is how Blackfoot continues without him or any original members. Talk about being denied your own identity, except Medlocke appears to be perfectly ok with it.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Good call Kudzu. That is clearly the same chord progression.

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:Good call Kudzu. That is clearly the same chord progression.

....and again I'm reminded of how there's so much music but so little time to discover it all. I know very little of Free beyond the hits and a deep cut or two.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Rocky wrote:Good call Kudzu. That is clearly the same chord progression.

....and again I'm reminded of how there's so much music but so little time to discover it all. I know very little of Free beyond the hits and a deep cut or two.

Paul Kossof. Guitar legend. Can't remember if he's been mentioned in any of the guitar treads yet. He might belong there.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Jerry Lee Lewis is covering "Mississippi Kid" on his next record, Rock n' Roll Time which is due on October 28th. More info here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Reading this and the responses to it both at the American Songwriter site and on FB make me wonder if this is the most controversial and open to interpretation tune in the Skynyrd (pre-crash) catalog. I think I've just answered my own question.

Lyric of the Week: Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Sweet Home Alabama”

Kudzu Guillotine

Isbell's gonna be part of this along with Lynryd Skynyrd, Trace Adkins, Alabama, Gregg Allman, Charlie Daniels, Peter Frampton, Warren Haynes, John Hiatt, Jamey Johnson, Aaron Lewis, moe., Govt Mule, Robert Randolph, Blackberry Smoke, Cheap Trick and Donnie Van Zant. More artists TBA.

Star-Studded Concert Event Honoring Lynyrd Skynyrd Announced

Kudzu Guillotine

Article from Skynyrd's Fox run circa 1976. If you right-click and open image in a new tab you'll be able to see the entire article.

Kudzu Guillotine

The One Percent: Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Ronnie
Van Zant, Bob Burns and Larry Junstrom

Kudzu Guillotine

To download the entire broadcast, click on the image below.

In 1978, the surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, except Leon Wilkeson (severely injured after the plane crash), recorded, with many friends, the Super Jam 1 in Doraville, Georgia.

Some of the finest southern musicians reunited that day…

Gary Rossington
Allen Collins
Artimus Pyle
Billy Powell
Dickey Betts
Charlie Daniels
Jimmy Hall
Bonnie Bramlett
Robert Nix
The Outlaws
Lenny Le Blanc
Tazz Digregorio
Mike Duke
Barry Bailey

01. Intro
02. Jitterbug
03. Cocaine
04. Reflections
05. Southbound
06. Don’t Want To Go Down There
07. Any Way You Want It, That’s The Way I Want It To Be
08. Another Pretty Country Song
09. Ain’t That Lovin You, Baby?
10. Call Me The Breeze

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

really excited to see the Artimus Pyle Band at the Orange Peel tonite!! Followed by Patterson Hood Friday nite at Grey Eagle. Gonna be a couple kick ass days in a row!!

Kudzu Guillotine