Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

34 Years Ago Today:

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Found this while working on another project I hope to put on the feature of the week at some point.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Kudzu Guillotine

From Wes' page on Facebook:

Waiting For Curtis Lowe

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From Wes' page on Facebook:

Waiting For Curtis Lowe

Nice!
On another thread you said you didn't want to be that guy, but you couldn't be "that guy" cause he was sitting in my
living room when you posted :lol: He's a guy we met on the Skynyrd cruise who just happened to be following Heather
Luttrell (a regular cruise performer) through Florida. "That Guy" was his screen name on the cruise board.
Speaking of the cruise #6 is coming up in Oct.http://www.sixthman.net/events/view/id/8

Kudzu Guillotine

Swamp wrote:On another thread you said you didn't want to be that guy, but you couldn't be "that guy" cause he was sitting in my
living room when you posted :lol: He's a guy we met on the Skynyrd cruise who just happened to be following Heather
Luttrell (a regular cruise performer) through Florida. "That Guy" was his screen name on the cruise board.
Speaking of the cruise #6 is coming up in Oct.http://www.sixthman.net/events/view/id/8

I'm cornfused.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Swamp wrote:On another thread you said you didn't want to be "that guy", but you couldn't be "that guy" cause he was sitting in my

I'm cornfused.

the 77 6-pack thread. :lol:

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Swamp wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Swamp wrote:On another thread you said you didn't want to be "that guy", but you couldn't be "that guy" cause he was sitting in my

I'm cornfused.

the 77 6-pack thread. :lol:

Just run across this http://www.fox30jax.com/content/actionl ... Aszzw.cspx

Kudzu Guillotine

Thanks for that but I'd definitely put the Allmans ahead of Skynyrd when it comes to pioneering what came to be known as "Southern Rock" and that's coming from someone that's a bigger fan of Skynyrd (the pre-crash version) than of the Allman Brothers.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I'm also a bigger fan of Skynyrd than the Allmans but your right. Duane got that ball rolling.
I got the story straight from Jimmy Johnson in the chow line on the 3rd cruise.
And it was the exact story I seen him do on CMT's Southern Rock special.

Kudzu Guillotine

I know anyone saddled with the "Southern Rock" tag (which goes for Skynyrd, the Allmans, .38 Special, Molly Hatchet, etc.) likes to play it down (same goes for those that have been labeled as "alt.country") but it's a musical category that isn't going anywhere despite all of the inherent baggage. I much prefer today's Allman Brothers to the current version of Skynyrd but the reason I cite Skynyrd as a favorite is because I was such a huge fan of theirs back in the 70's. Sure, I love the Allman Brothers too but there was just something about Skynyrd I related to more.

Kudzu Guillotine

If Gary Rossington thought Southern Rock Opera was "weird", I wonder what he'd make of Unknown Hinson?

Kudzu Guillotine

A politically correct Lynyrd Skynyrd, who would have thunk it? Truth be told, back in the 70's Ronnie Van Zant wanted to drop the use of the Confederate flag from their stage show but their label, MCA, insisted they continue to use it. In an attempt to save face with their fanbase, Gary Rossington issued the following statement on Skynyrd's Facebook page after he, Johnny Van Zant and Rickey Medlocke voiced their opinons on the Confederate flag on CNN recently:

I wanted to clarify the discussion of the Confederate Flag in our recent CNN interview. Myself, the past and present members (that are from the South), are all extremely proud of our heritage and being from the South. We know what the Dixie flag represents and its heritage; the Civil War was fought over States rights.

We still utilize the Confederate (Rebel) flag on stage every night in our shows, we are and always will be a Southern American Rock band, first and foremost. We also utilize the state flag of Alabama and the American flag, ‘cause at the end of the day, we are all Americans.

I only stated my opinion that the confederate flag, at times, was unfairly being used as a symbol by various hate groups, which is something that we don’t support the flag being used for. The Confederate flag means something more to us, Heritage not Hate…

Lynyrd Skynyrd denounces Confederate flag, angering some fans

Johnny Van Zant, left, and Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd
(Tim Mosenfelder / ImageDirect / September 20, 2012)

Kudzu Guillotine

Stumbled upon this interview recently and thought I'd pass it along here. Growing up listening to Skynyrd I never really thought much about it but in the years since it's often pointed out that King always considered himself the odd man out in the band for several reasons, mainly because he wasn't a Southerner. In this interview with Gibson he expounds on that amongst other things.

The Gibson Classic Interview: Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Ed King

Just back from the Custom Shop Summer Jam—where he fell in love with a chambered VOS ’58 Les Paul that he swears equals his original ’59 Standard—Ed King discusses his long journey with Lynyrd Skynyrd and his passion for Gibson guitars.
Jaan Uhelszki|09.13.2010

Gibson.com is pleased to present “The Gibson Classic Interview,” where we open our archives and share with you interviews we’ve done over the years with some of the world’s biggest artists. This week, we revisit Jaan Uhelszki’s 2007 interview with Lynyrd Skynyrd legend Ed King.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting how he appears to be less than satisfied with his Fenders in this article, while in that Unknown Hinson clip further up in the thread he is praising his new CS Strat.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

"Through the years, people like the KKK and skinheads kinda kidnapped the Dixie or Southern flag from its tradition and the heritage of the soldiers, that's what it was about,
"
One of the smartest things Rossington has ever said. While at the same time either Rossington or the guy writing the article called it the stars and bars :roll: dumb asses.
I just about want to go on the cruise now to see how he explains it to their hard core fans. It's too late to back out of the cruise now, without losing your money.

Kudzu Guillotine

Interesting that Rossington all of the sudden felt the need to speak up right when they released a new album, then when the inevitable backlash set in he pretty retracted everything he'd said. I'd like to think he was being sincere but I'm not so sure. That's one thing with Ronnie Van Zant, he pretty much came out and said exactly what he meant and didn't back down from a damn thing. That's why Skynyrd will always be a boat without a rudder.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine

I have this whole concert on VHS somewhere that a friend taped for me off of satellite years ago. It was a pay-per-view special filmed at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta called Lynyrd Skynyrd and Friends Lyve: One More From the Fox that originally aired back in 1993. It's been forever since I last watched it but apparently the "Frynds" did acoustic sets before Skynyrd came out at the end to do a set of their own. These are just a few of the clips I've found, there may be more. The person that uploaded them ("MetallicBill") said that he had to take some of them down because of copyright infringement from Tom Keifer's management. That's why they are also labeled as they are on YouTube, which doesn't make all of them so easy to find. Even though I've never really considered myself a fan of a lot of these artists, I think they go above and beyond here in their appreciation of Skynyrd which helped me to see them in a new light both then and now. I think Travis Tritt does an especially good job on the country numbers such as "Made In the Shade" one of my very favorite deep cuts from Skynyrd. He's just got that country growl in his voice that Ronnie Van Zant had that Johnny doesn't. I also remember being blown away by Frampton at the time. There's one clip (can't remember the song and it's not included below) where he just wails away on guitar. That put him back on the map for me in a big way. Watching him perform "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" for the first time in close to twenty years is nothing short of surreal. I never really thought about it at the time but considering how much Skynyrd and Frampton used to tour together (especially in the years prior to the plane crash), it's only appropriate that he took part in this tribute. Someone really needs to release this on DVD.

"Made In the Shade" (Travis Tritt)

"Comin' Home" (Zakk Wylde)

"When You've Got Good Friends" (Charlie Daniels)/"Down South Jukin" (Bret Michaels)

"The Ballad of Curtis Loew" (Peter Frampton) *

"Don't Misunderstand Me" (Travis Tritt and Dale Krantz-Rossington) **

Introduction of Lynyrd Skynyrd by Al Kooper and Alex Cooley/ "Workin' For MCA"

* Starts at 1:20
** Originally by the Rossington Collins Band

This is an article that ran in The New York Times on January 30th, 1993. It's funny to read this now for a couple of reasons. One is how the author talks about the changing face of album radio and the power of pay-per-view. The other is how Rossington talks about how Skynyrd is one of the last of their kind, which led to titling their then newest album, The Last Rebel. He's been saying the exact same thing about their newest one, Last of A Dyin' Breed. That's not a criticism, just an observation. By the way, today is Rossington's 61st birthday.

Traveling Again

Lynyrd Skynyrd, a band that rose to the top of 1970's Southern rock, is going on the road again next month because, as the lead singer, Johnny Van Zant, put it, "It's time, and besides, we just figured it would be a lot of fun."

In 1977, a plane crash killed the band's original leader and singer, Ronnie Van Zant, Johnny's brother, and one of the group's guitarists, Steve Gaines. The surviving band members dispersed at the height of their popularity but reunited in 1987.

Now the band (whose name is pronounced LEH-nerd SKIN-nerd)is kicking off a world tour, as well as the release of a new album, with a pay-per-view television special called "Lynyrd Skynyrd and Friends Lyve: One More From the Fox." The show, to be broadcast live on Feb. 19 from the Fox Theater in Atlanta, is to feature guests including Roger Daltrey of the Who, Charlie Daniels, Peter Frampton, Tom Keifer of Cinderella, Bret Michaels of Poison and Zakk Wylde of Ozzy Osbourne.

The concert is being presented by Semaphore Entertainment Group, which produces, markets and develops concerts and other pay-per-view programming. Although many top artists prefer to wait until the end of their concert tours to perform on pay-per-view, out of concern that an earlier television appearance might hurt ticket sales, Semaphore views Lynyrd Skynyrd's early appearance as good marketing.

"A pay-per-view event gets more press, publicity, attention, and is a better way to launch a tour or album," said Bob Meyrowitz, the company's chief executive. He projected that 40,000 to 200,000 of the 20 million homes capable of receiving pay-per-view programming would tune in to the concert. Radio Still a Factor

"In the old days, radio was the vehicle," Mr. Meyrowitz said. "But radio's gotten narrower, and it's hard to get a solid group of radio stations. There's classic rock, top 40, crossover rock, all with very tight play lists. Pay-per-view is one of the few places that does rap, country, oldies, rock shows. Each audience is very defined and narrow, but very specific, and you can count on the fans coming to you."

But Lynyrd Skynyrd's staying power has been bolstered by radio, as some stations play large doses of 1970's rock. The group's earlier hits "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird" have become staples on classic-rock stations.

In a telephone interview from his home in Orange Park, Fla., Mr. Van Zant said the new album is titled "The Last Rebel" (Atlantic) because Lynyrd Skynyrd "figured we're the last band from the South from the old days that's really still doing something."

The Allman Brothers Band, the progenitors of Southern rock, who continue to draw large crowds at their concerts, might disagree.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

An old friend posted a picture of her and the rest of the radio station staff after a concert with either the Ronnie Van Zant band or the new, unimproved Lynryd Skynryd. From the comments:

J. Random Questioner wrote:which one is ronnie van zant?!

My Friend wrote:I think the one copping a feel on me...
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

From the Alabama Ass Whuppin' thread
Swamp wrote:This album was my first thought when I heard Neff had left.

Then while Mrs Swamp was looking for some video's she run across this,
Skynyrd with just 2 guitars.

They pulled it off pretty good but it got me thinking, why did Ed leave?
So I punched the question in the computer and it gave me this site.
http://edking.proboards.com/index.cgi?b ... &thread=30
really cool forum
I also asked if Ed slit Leon's throat on the bus.
I got some interesting answers,......... maybe ?
Q - What was the straw that broke the camels back?
"We had a show in Pittsburgh one night. (May 26, 1975) Ronnie and my guitar tech got thrown in jail the night before in Ann Arbor, Michigan. They were really late getting to the show. My guitar strings weren’t changed for the show. By the end of the night, I had broken two strings. All the way back to the hotel Ronnie was just raising hell about it. When we got back to the hotel, I just said that this is just really screwed up. This came at the very end of all kinds of stuff on that tour. I just didn’t need it anymore."
Read more: http://edking.proboards.com/index.cgi?b ... z2H0peqj4K

3rd question on this page,
http://edking.proboards.com/index.cgi?b ... y&thread=7
he answers the slit throat question.

This site, http://www.lynyrdskynyrd.com/board_posts/ed-king, did bring up a good question.
Where would Skynyrd be without Ed King?
After all he wrote the music for SHA.
(I also found it funny someone complaining about deleated threads)

Also on the Ed King forum I found this on his days with the Strawberry Alarm Clock.
(and maybe why he fit in with Skynyrd boys so well)
"I never went on stage without a .38 Special in my back pocket."
Read more: http://edking.proboards.com/index.cgi?b ... z2H0wlQBUA
Ronnie and Ed never spoke to each other again. In an interview about a year after he left,
when asked about Ed, Ronnie said Ed "would be dead within a year"

Kudzu Guillotine

That old Grey Whistle Test show is also on the deluxe edition of Gimme Back My Bullets. Ed used to chime in on occasion on the official Skynyrd board but as oftentimes proved the case, the drama would get out of hand (not on Ed's part) and the board was made subscription only. I've only occasionally checked in on his site but from what I can recall (and from what you've posted), he's always been real congenial when it comes to answering questions from fans. Unfortunately, some of the real diehard Skynyrd fans seem to have a less than favorable opinion of him for a variety of reasons. Thanks for the links.

Kudzu Guillotine

Has anyone ever seen a copy of Street Survivors with the press book? I ask because this is the first time I've ever seen one. According to the eBay description for this one it's an advance/promo copy, which explains the press book.

Kudzu Guillotine

Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke interviewed by John Schaefer for WYNC's Soundcheck. Pretty nice interview except I don't really agree with them about there being no guitars in rock n' roll anymore (they sound completely out of touch there) and Gary seems to think "Made In the Shade" was on Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd (it's on Nuthin' Fancy). Other than that, it's well worth the listen.

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Last Of A Dyin' Breed
Longtime guitarists Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke discuss Neil Young, gun control, and guitar solos.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (Clay Patrick McBride)

Kudzu Guillotine

From Circus magazine 12.22.77

Kudzu Guillotine

The Truckers get a shout out in this brief review of Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd from Rolling Stone's 100 Best Debut Albums of All Time list, though I'm not entirely sure why.

Kudzu Guillotine

This comes from a Tumblr blog called One Week One Band, the theme is self explanatory. I haven't read it all but the piece on Skynyrd is as in depth as any piece I've ever seen. It also seems to have been posted fairly recently as it addresses the whole "Accidental Racist" controversy. The author is also a Truckers fan. Here's the link.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:This comes from a Tumblr blog called One Week One Band, the theme is self explanatory. I haven't read it all but the piece on Skynyrd is as in depth as any piece I've ever seen. It also seems to have been posted fairly recently as it addresses the whole "Accidental Racist" controversy. The author is also a Truckers fan. Here's the link.

Very nice KG. Loved that Strawberry Alarm Clock footage. Local legend has it (and I got my version from Leon) Ronnie and Charlie Daniels
were at a place called Sgt. Peppers where SAC were performing. Ronnie invited Ed over for some drinks where Ed bitched about not being
treated right and Ronnie explained they need a bass player, since Leon had gone back to farmbest (Marina and I both worked there a few
years later) Ed wasn't a bass player so he musta really hated the guys in SAC :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

From the November 10, 1977 issue of Circus magazine:

Kudzu Guillotine

Released 36 years ago today, this is one of those record purchases I have a very vivid memory of and not just for the obvious reasons. This one stands out so strong in my memory because they actually had to break it out of the shipping box at Camelot Music in Goldsboro, NC as it wasn't out on the shelves yet. I believe the only other time that happened was with Kiss Alive II. I just did the legwork and realized it also came out 36 years ago in October. According to Wiki it was released on the 14th which seems a little odd as that was a Friday. The short blurb below comes from the College of Rock n' Roll Knowledge page on Facebook.

On Oct. 17, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd released their 5th studio LP, Street Survivors.

The LP is the last Skynyrd album recorded by original members Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins, and is the only Skynyrd studio recording by guitarist Steve Gaines.

Three days after the album's release, on October 20, 1977, the band's chartered airplane crashed en route to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, killing the pilot, co-pilot, the group's assistant road-manager and three band members, Van Zant, Gaines, and Gaines' older sister, backup singer Cassie Gaines, and severely injuring most who survived the crash. The album performed well on the charts, peaking at #5 (their first top 5 album), as did the singles "What's Your Name" and "That Smell", the former a top 20 hit on the singles chart.

The album was an instant success, achieving gold certification just ten days after its release. It would later go double platinum.

The original pressing of the cover of Street Survivors had a photograph of the band standing in flames. The cover was changed to an alternate photo with an all-black background, out of respect for the deceased. Thirty years later, the original "flames" cover was restored, while the alternative cover serves as the back of the case. Lead singer Van Zant is wearing a t-shirt depicting Neil Young's album Tonight's the Night in both photographs.