Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

Re: Artist of the week 12/13/10 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Post by Swamp »

40 years ago today. Hard to believe it's been that long.
Just got tickets for the Donnie and Johnnie hurricane erma relief show.
Johnnies not so bad when he's not pretending to be Ronnie.

Found this recently
http://www.hollywoodreporter/thr-esq/ly ... rash-movie
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Announced their farewell tour today.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Swamp,
I read about the farewell tour, and it kind of shocked me, not because Skynyrd ain't been around long time, but because I figured that name would go on indefinitely. I've seen Skynyrd a few times, but they are a band I would have loved to have seen in the 70's, but since I wasn't conceived until the late 70's there wasn't much of a chance of that.

Maybe if I figure out the flux capacitor....

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Good story from Jacksonville -
https://pagesix.com/2018/05/11/boyhood- ... 1419649760

No we need to get Swamp to be a tour guide and stand guard at the front door.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Beaverdam wrote:Swamp,
I read about the farewell tour, and it kind of shocked me, not because Skynyrd ain't been around long time, but because I figured that name would go on indefinitely. I've seen Skynyrd a few times, but they are a band I would have loved to have seen in the 70's, but since I wasn't conceived until the late 70's there wasn't much of a chance of that.

Maybe if I figure out the flux capacitor....
Don't know why I just saw this but don't forget to bring back some ludes.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Howlinwolf wrote:Good story from Jacksonville -
https://pagesix.com/2018/05/11/boyhood- ... 1419649760

No we need to get Swamp to be a tour guide and stand guard at the front door.
No shit, Shantytown is a rough area. Mrs S and I lived about 5 blocks from that house before moving out here in '83. I wouldn't want to stay there at night now. Until recently the house had a privacy fence around it and we would just drive by it on the tour. However the "Curtis Lowe" store is only a block or so away from the house and we stop. I get real nervious the longer people want to stand around and take pictures. While I do like spending time at the "Jug" (Past Time) during the day, I wouldn't go at night. I feel much safer out here in the swamp with the snakes, gators and bears.
Come stay with us and we'll take you to Shantytown, Michael
on a side note, Rossington/Collins practice house was 3 blocks from our place back then.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ Awesome.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Rocky wrote:^^^ Awesome.
Truth. One of these days...
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Last of the Street Survivors Fairwell tour was announce back in April with Jax being the final show. LS with Kid Rock and Jason Aldean.
I thought I would pass but then yestrrday they added Marshal Tucker, CDB and Blacckberry Smoke. It's almost the benifit ffor Jimmy Carter all over again. I'm pretty sure Blackberry Smoke is the same 4 guys we first saw 11 years ago and CDB is still Charlie...........In!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^ That's one kick ass line up right there.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Rocky wrote:^^ That's one kick ass line up right there.
in 1977 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Between LS, CDB, and MT, how many original members are left?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Rocky wrote:^^ That's one kick ass line up right there.
in 1977 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Between LS, CDB, and MT, how many original members are left?
3, but it is LAST of the street survivors tour.
One man in each band has lived to tell about it.
Let there be rock.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hey y'all - I'm sure if you are a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, you may of heard that the new movie - "Lynyrd Skynyrd-If I Leave Here Tomorrow is out and on Showtime. If you have Showtime, I highly recommend watching it as there is some great early footage of the band.
Gary does a lot of the interviewing and he drives around Shantytown with Johnny Van Zant checking out some of Swamp's tour. One thing I will say is Johnny is way out of place in Shantytown driving around in his pearl white Escalade.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Howlinwolf wrote:Hey y'all - I'm sure if you are a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, you may of heard that the new movie - "Lynyrd Skynyrd-If I Leave Here Tomorrow is out and on Showtime. If you have Showtime, I highly recommend watching it as there is some great early footage of the band.
Gary does a lot of the interviewing and he drives around Shantytown with Johnny Van Zant checking out some of Swamp's tour. One thing I will say is Johnny is way out of place in Shantytown driving around in his pearl white Escalade.
I just watched this documentary over the past few nights, and I really enjoyed it. I kept waiting to hear some SRO in the soundtrack (especially the last portion regarding the plane crash). I’m no Martin Scorsese, but I think that segments of Shut Your Mouth, Greenville to Baton Rouge, and Angels would have worked perfectly in the film’s last twenty minutes or so! Or maybe a rap song about a white Escalade???

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Beaverdam wrote:
Howlinwolf wrote:Hey y'all - I'm sure if you are a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, you may of heard that the new movie - "Lynyrd Skynyrd-If I Leave Here Tomorrow is out and on Showtime. If you have Showtime, I highly recommend watching it as there is some great early footage of the band.
I just watched this documentary over the past few nights, and I really enjoyed it. I kept waiting to hear some SRO in the soundtrack (especially the last portion regarding the plane crash). I’m no Martin Scorsese, but I think that segments of Shut Your Mouth, Greenville to Baton Rouge, and Angels would have worked perfectly in the film’s last twenty minutes or so! Or maybe a rap song about a white Escalade???
I seen him pump his own gas in that Escalade. He was complaining that his wife never put gas in it.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

As is usual for these sorts of things I am late to the party. Just saw the Skynyrd documentary (2018) If I Leave Here Tomorrow last night. I have to say it is the best one I have seen on the band. Didn't pull any punches.

Hearing about what a mean drunk and bully St. Ronnie was made me wonder why someone (like Ed King for example) didn't quit the band earlier. Thought it was interesting that the ever quotable Ed King said that Artimus didn't have the feel that Bob Burns did. Speaking of Bob Burns, he said the name of the band came form that Camp Grenada song which does have the name Leonard Skinner in it and not from the high school gym teacher. I almost shat my drawers when I heard Gary Rossington say that Ronnie in a drunken rage broke a bottle and said you'll never play guitar again and jammed the broken bottle into both of the guitarist's hands. Holy shit!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Rocky wrote:As is usual for these sorts of things I am late to the party. Just saw the Skynyrd documentary (2018) If I Leave Here Tomorrow last night. I have to say it is the best one I have seen on the band. Didn't pull any punches.

Hearing about what a mean drunk and bully St. Ronnie was made me wonder why someone (like Ed King for example) didn't quit the band earlier. Thought it was interesting that the ever quotable Ed King said that Artimus didn't have the feel that Bob Burns did. Speaking of Bob Burns, he said the name of the band came form that Camp Grenada song which does have the name Leonard Skinner in it and not from the high school gym teacher. I almost shat my drawers when I heard Gary Rossington say that Ronnie in a drunken rage broke a bottle and said you'll never play guitar again and jammed the broken bottle into both of the guitarist's hands. Holy shit!
Don't feel bad, I still haven't seen it but I have heard the stories. Have not heard Bob's where the name came from story though. Skynyrds 3rd album 'Nuthin' Fancy' was the first album without Bob. On the original album, the inner sleeve has a picture of a Leonard Skinner Realty sign. By the time they got famos Mr Skinner had left coaching for real estate. The phone number on the sign was Mr Skinners real home phone number.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Swamp wrote: On the original album, the inner sleeve has a picture of a Leonard Skinner Realty sign. By the time they got famos Mr Skinner had left coaching for real estate. The phone number on the sign was Mr Skinners real home phone number.
Perhaps a little get back at the guy who kicked them out of school and made them cut their hair. :mrgreen:

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I know the crash site is in a really remote area but I was always surprised that there was never a monument marking the spot.

Any idea how far it is from the actual crash site?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Rocky wrote:I know the crash site is in a really remote area but I was always surprised that there was never a monument marking the spot.

Any idea how far it is from the actual crash site?
I can't beleive I never stoped there on all our football trips that way. This nook I use wont let me use google maps, but I would hope it's within walking distance.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

just a few months prior to crash.

white hot. damn steve gaines can play.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

On TUBI, I recently watched "Street Survivors: The true story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash" or "Is Artemis Pyle really a super hero". It's a non Rossington sanctioned movie kinda narrated by Arty. It picks where he joined the band. The only song it shows them play was a non Skynyrd written song. Even though it is only rated TV-14, the back stage antics were very entertaining. I have to say a lot of it made me chuckle, especially Arty's confertation with a cottenmouth :roll:
Gene Odom says the whole movie is bs :D

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

They are moving Ronnie's body again.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Swamp wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:28 pm
They are moving Ronnie's body again. :roll:
Judy can't be out done by Leon and Billy.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Last week I was with the family in the Gulf, and since we hadn’t been to New Orleans since before Covid, we decided to spend a weekend there. Our return route home was slightly different than before, and I noticed a sign on the side of the interstate publicizing the Lynyrd Skynyrd crash site (close to the Louisiana-Mississippi state line but on the Mississippi side). My wife and I were tired, and the kids even more so, but I convinced my wife to let me stop. Night had already fallen, but I got out of the car with my son and we stood at dusk outside the memorial. Coyotes or wolves (something…not making this up) were howling in the woods…the sounds just added to the ambiance surrounding the site!

One truck was there, but it left when we arrived. There was a canopy tent and some chairs, but they were vacant. I’m assuming some die-hard fans sit regularly to greet visitors. I also found a donation box and a sign in book. I signed in and left a couple of dollars, but if I had thought ahead, I would have left a copy of SRO.

The memorial was in the middle of nowhere, but I felt fortunate to have stumbled across somewhere with such significance to me and I’m sure to many of you!
Last edited by Beaverdam on Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/67255

I’d post my pictures on here but:
1. I’m not tech savvy enough to do so
2. It was dark, and the pics aren’t great!