Jayhawks planning tour, reissues, new album

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

blackwll

Jayhawks planning tour, reissues, new album

Post by blackwll »

It's no easy feat pulling off three back-to-back nights at First Avenue, but the Jayhawks made it look effortless this past summer when they powered through one of the most memorable local music events of the year.

Ever since founders and lead singers Gary Louris and Mark Olson rejoined forces back in 2008, the Jayhawks have taken on a new life in the form of reunion shows, anthologies, and reissues; with news of more dates and a new album on the horizon, it looks like they won't be slowing down anytime soon.

The band just announced plans to take a quick tour this January, including two-night-stands in New York City and Chicago, plus stops in Toronto, Philadelphia, and -- yes! -- a return to First Avenue on January 29.

The tour will coincide with reissues of the band's two most popular albums, 1992's Hollywood Town Hall and 1995's Tomorrow the Green Grass (their last record with Olson before he left the group), and the band (rounded out by Green Grass players Karen Grotberg, Marc Perlman, and Tim O'Reagan) is contemplating playing both albums straight through at their NYC shows.

No word yet on what they will play at their Minneapolis show, but any setlist heavy on those two releases will be sure to please local fans.

Shortly after news of their new tour and reissues broke yesterday afternoon, Rolling Stone dropped another bomb: Olson and Louris have been penning songs together again, and the group has been hard at work at Terrarium studios in Minneapolis laying down tracks for a new Jayhawks album.

Louris says the decision to record new material came after the success of their shows in Minneapolis and Spain. "The chemistry was still there so Olson and I decided to write some new songs," Louris told Rolling Stone. "We went up to his sister's cabin up north and later I went out to the desert in Joshua Tree to write some more songs."

More details:

The tracks are reminiscent of their mid-1990s work. "This is a record for a true Jayhawks fan who loves Tomorrow The Green Grass," says Louris. "It's not a mirror image, but it has a lot of the same elements." One track is called "Mockingbird Time," and another is currently titled "Tiny Arrows." "That one is a bit of an odyssey, soundscape-y kind of song that starts off very desert-y," says Louris. "Then it evolves into many different parts that flow together naturally."

They plan on finishing it by the end of the month and mixing it before the end of the year; the pair hope to have it on shelves by the spring or early summer.

Tickets for the January 29 show are $29.75, check out First Ave's site for more info.

2011 TOUR DATES:

01/18 Toronto, ONT The Phoenix
01/20-21 New York, NY Webster Hall
01/22 Philadelphia, PA TLA
01/27-28 Chicago, IL The Vic
01/29 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... planni.php

Smitty

Re: Jayhawks planning tour, reissues, new album

Post by Smitty »

it def piqued my interest
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

2011 TOUR DATES:

01/18 Toronto, ONT The Phoenix
01/22 Philadelphia, PA TLA
01/27-28 Chicago, IL The Vic
01/29 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue

Kick ass.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i was fortunate enough to see them in the lateish 90's. olson had already left the band, but they put on an amazing show. farrar came out and joined them for a tune or two.

lucky you catching them this go around.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime in the gutter wrote:i was fortunate enough to see them in the lateish 90's. olson had already left the band, but they put on an amazing show. farrar came out and joined them for a tune or two.

lucky you catching them this go around.

I saw them several times right after Hollywood Town Hall and then after Tomorrow the Green Grass. I saw them after Olson left too. Love this band. Excited.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

DBT ought to cover "Wichita". It'd fit them to a tee.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm definitely going to get tickets to 1st Ave. My brother lives in St. Paul and he's a big Jayhawks fan as well. Every family road trip as a kid, my old man would crank the shit out of Hollywood Town Hall.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saturday Jan 22nd? Hmmm....

Thanks for the tip, blackwll.
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Saw the Louris/Olson reunion @ The Bowery Ballroom in NYC back in '05. Great show. It would be great to see them work a New England show into the mix this time around.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:Saw the Louris/Olson reunion @ The Bowery Ballroom in NYC back in '05. Great show. It would be great to see them work a New England show into the mix this time around.

How far are you from NYC?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I saw them post-Olson at ACL Fest back in the early 00s and was bored shitless. Hell, they even made Cross Canadian Ragweed (whom I can't stand) sound more interesting. I remember hearing Waiting For the Sun all over the radio back when it first came out but it never intrigued me to the point where I felt like I needed to own it. Years later several friends talked up Tomorrow The Green Grass to the point that I felt like I needed to own it. The over harmonizing immediately turned me off. I'm not sure what it was but it rubbed me the wrong way and I rarely, if ever listen to it anymore. Rainy Day Music, on the hand, is much more to my liking but there's a lot more "alt.country" groups I like better than the Jayhawks. Perhaps I should have saved that for the blasphemy thread...

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Ah Mah Gawd. This is incredible news. Absolutely fantastic. I'm a huge Jayhawks fan and they're up there on my must see before I die list. Never thought it would happen. I will find a way to swing this. I will...
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

dime in the gutter

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I saw them post-Olson at ACL Fest back in the early 00s and was bored shitless. Hell, they even made Cross Canadian Ragweed (whom I can't stand) sound more interesting. I remember hearing Waiting For the Sun all over the radio back when it first came out but it never intrigued me to the point where I felt like I needed to own it. Years later several friends talked up Tomorrow The Green Grass to the point that I felt like I needed to own it. The over harmonizing immediately turned me off. I'm not sure what it was but it rubbed me the wrong way and I rarely, if ever listen to it anymore. Rainy Day Music, on the hand, is much more to my liking but there's a lot more "alt.country" groups I like better than the Jayhawks. Perhaps I should have saved that for the blasphemy thread...

i dig them greatly....but i see where u are coming from.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I saw them post-Olson at ACL Fest back in the early 00s and was bored shitless. Hell, they even made Cross Canadian Ragweed (whom I can't stand) sound more interesting. I remember hearing Waiting For the Sun all over the radio back when it first came out but it never intrigued me to the point where I felt like I needed to own it. Years later several friends talked up Tomorrow The Green Grass to the point that I felt like I needed to own it. The over harmonizing immediately turned me off. I'm not sure what it was but it rubbed me the wrong way and I rarely, if ever listen to it anymore. Rainy Day Music, on the hand, is much more to my liking but there's a lot more "alt.country" groups I like better than the Jayhawks. Perhaps I should have saved that for the blasphemy thread...

take a stand, dime. what are you, a diplomat?
If you don't run you rust

dime in the gutter

Clams wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:

take a stand, dime. what are you, a diplomat?

reach out, not down, brother. giving my boy kudzu plenty of room. he's earned it.

Kudzu Guillotine

I guess I like the alt.country stuff that has a rawer edge, the Jayhawks just struck me as being a bit too polished for my ears. Probably also why my fandom for the DBTs has slipped significantly in recent years. I recently watched the clip on the home page for Lookout Mountain and the organ stands out like a sore thumb. It's as though they've gone all Van Halen circa "Jump" on us. I had to listen to the version from Alabama Ass Whuppin' immediately afterwards as a palate cleanser.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I guess I like the alt.country stuff that has a rawer edge, the Jayhawks just struck me as being a bit too polished for my ears. Probably also why my fandom for the DBTs has slipped significantly in recent years. I recently watched the clip on the home page for Lookout Mountain and the organ stands out like a sore thumb. It's as though they've gone all Van Halen circa "Jump" on us. I had to listen to the version from Alabama Ass Whuppin' immediately afterwards as a palate cleanser.

I'm a huge Jay Gonzalez fan and overall I think the keyboards are a great addition, but I do think certain songs are better off without it, especially (off the top of my head) Lookout Mtn and Hell No I Ain't Happy.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I guess I like the alt.country stuff that has a rawer edge, the Jayhawks just struck me as being a bit too polished for my ears. Probably also why my fandom for the DBTs has slipped significantly in recent years. I recently watched the clip on the home page for Lookout Mountain and the organ stands out like a sore thumb. It's as though they've gone all Van Halen circa "Jump" on us. I had to listen to the version from Alabama Ass Whuppin' immediately afterwards as a palate cleanser.

I'm a huge Jay Gonzalez fan and overall I think the keyboards are a great addition, but I do think certain songs are better off without it, especially (off the top of my head) Lookout Mtn and Hell No I Ain't Happy.

Add Let There Be Rock to the list. Even though I've seen them with Jay numerous times since he joined it wasn't until watching their ACL appearance that the keys really started to get under my skin. I'd prefer to see him on guitar (as I have at least once).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu, it's funny I listened to Hollywood Town Hall yesterday and thought to myself that it's funny that I love it since it is a bit slick for my usual tastes. Blue Earth, the album that preceded it, was less polished and the album that introduced me to the band so that might be why I just rolled with it. The real reason I the I always loved the Jayhawks was the live show though. Back before Olson left they were astounding live. The harmonies were gorgeous and the band tight as could be. Even after that they were good live, but not the same. Long story short though, I can understand the slickness getting under your skin. If they expand this tour and make it down your way I'd urge you to give them another chance.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:If they expand this tour and make it down your way I'd urge you to give them another chance.

I definitely will. I go see bands regularly that I've never even heard of before so I'd be all about giving the Jayhawks another shot, particularly given the lineup this time out.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Add Let There Be Rock to the list. Even though I've seen them with Jay numerous times since he joined it wasn't until watching their ACL appearance that the keys really started to get under my skin. I'd prefer to see him on guitar (as I have at least once).

I actually like the keys on Let There Be Rock. I agree that they're totally out of place on Lookout Mountain.

I think they work very well on the stuff they've written since he joined the band, but then again, those were written with his participation.

cortez the killer

It's interesting that you find RDM to be "more to your liking." I like it a lot as well, but find it to be their most "sweetened up" album. Lots of sheen and production. Very poppy in a Beatles/CSN way.

A few months back there was discussion regarding Hollywood Town Hall. I found it to have a Ragged Glory feel with the fuzzy, distorted guitar sound that is prevalent on that album. Others though is was far more polished with the harmonizing and keys. It's easily my favorite Jayhawks album, and one of my favorite albums period.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Saw the Louris/Olson reunion @ The Bowery Ballroom in NYC back in '05. Great show. It would be great to see them work a New England show into the mix this time around.

Remove the traffic and the headaches of getting in and out of the city, it's not that far. Maybe 2 hours each way. However, throw in all the issues associated with getting in and out of Manhattan, it becomes much more involved. Plus, I'm a travel pussy.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Remove the traffic and the headaches of getting in and out of the city, it's not that far. Maybe 2 hours each way. However, throw in all the issues associated with getting in and out of Manhattan, it becomes much more involved. Plus, I'm a travel pussy.

Yeah, I guess I forget about the traffic headaches on the East Coast. It's all so geographically close, that I just assume you're generally moving @ 70MPH. Driving into Manhattan has to be hellish. I've only entered on trains.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Exclusive: Classic Jayhawks Lineup Recording First LP In 15 Years

Band is also contemplating playing 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' and 'Hollywood Town Hall' straight through in concert

The Jayhawks recording in November of 2010, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Photograph by Steven Cohen
By Andy Greene
Nov 29, 2010 4:06 PM EST

When Gary Louris and Mark Olson reformed The Jayhawks two years ago they vowed never to become one of those reunited 1990s bands that tour indefinitely without new material. So in early November they entered Terrarium studios in Minneapolis to cut their first disc since 1995's Tomorrow The Green Grass. "Our goal is to make the best Jayhawks album that's ever been done," Louris tells Rolling Stone. "Mark and I both feel that there is some business left undone and we got together and wrote some great songs."

The Jayhawks were one of the most acclaimed alt-country bands of the 1990s, but they never found much commercial success. "During grunge we were a little bit out there," says Olson. "We would watch musical waves come and go and we were stuck with this melody/harmony thing we've always done."

Photos: The Hottest Live Photos of the Week

Olson left the group in late 1995 to spend more time with his family. Louris continued under the Jayhawks banner for three more albums, but he soon realized their best work was done together. "There's something that happens when Mark and I get together," says Louris. "We look at each other and realize there's a chemistry. We balance each other out and make something completely different than when we do something separately."

Louris and Olson began touring as a duo five years ago, and last year they reformed the lineup from the Tomorrow the Green Grass album for some shows. "The chemistry was still there so Olson and I decided to write some new songs," says Louris. "We went up to his sister's cabin up north and later I went out to the desert in Joshua Tree to write some more songs."

Photos: Random Notes

The tracks are reminiscent of their mid-1990s work. "This is a record for a true Jayhawks fan who loves Tomorrow The Green Grass," says Louris. "It's not a mirror image, but it has a lot of the same elements." One track is called "Mockingbird Time," and another is currently titled "Tiny Arrows." "That one is a bit of an odyssey, soundscape-y kind of song that starts off very desert-y," says Louris. "Then it evolves into many different parts that flow together naturally."

They plan on finishing it by the end of the month and mixing it before the end of the year; the pair hope to have it on shelves by the spring or early summer. Early next year Sony Legacy is going to re-release 1992's Hollywood Town Hall and 1995's Tomorrow The Green Grass, and the group will do some shows to promote them.

They are also contemplating performing the discs straight through at the shows. "I'm mulling it over," says Louris. "It's been suggested that if we do two nights in a place to do one the first night and the other the second. We haven't agreed to it yet."

But Olson has some doubts about the idea. "It feels a little bit like a strict regimentation of presentation to me," he says. "But if that's what people said we should do and they really wanted us to then I'd be open to it."

Unlike many reformed bands, they don't have a massive sales history to live up to — which suits them just fine. "Lots of groups are trapped by their own success," Olson says. "They have huge, mega-selling albums and it's hard for them to come up with new songs that'll override the old songs. But we're gonna try to override the old songs. We've stuck with this kind of music and stuck with it and stuck with it. I've decided that I want to continue to play with Gary for the rest of my life and I think this is gonna be our time. Wish us luck."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/238413

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:

It's interesting that you find RDM to be "more to your liking." I like it a lot as well, but find it to be their most "sweetened up" album. Lots of sheen and production. Very poppy in a Beatles/CSN way.

Add The Byrds to that. Oftentimes when it comes up in a shuffle mix I mistake cuts from that record for the Byrds.

cortez the killer wrote:A few months back there was discussion regarding Hollywood Town Hall. I found it to have a Ragged Glory feel with the fuzzy, distorted guitar sound that is prevalent on that album. Others though is was far more polished with the harmonizing and keys. It's easily my favorite Jayhawks album, and one of my favorite albums period.

I'll have to give it a spin. I acquired it a few years ago at a benefit when a friend was dumping a bunch of their records (which also included Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker and Alabama Ass Whuppin'). I had to quickly remind her that Alabama Ass Whuppin' was out of print and now a collector's item.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

WOW!
:) :)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Sometimes I hate living in St. Louis

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dee dee wrote:Sometimes I hate living in St. Louis

1/28 Vic Theater Chicago, Friday night. Come on up!

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Penny Lane wrote:WOW!
:) :)

Did you see that they're doing Hollywood Town Hall on Thursday and Tomorrow the Green Grass on Friday?
We're in for the Friday show. Really looking forward to it.