The Last Waltz: November 25, 1976

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

The Last Waltz: November 25, 1976

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Who's says you can't have two new threads primarily about The Band? This epic event took place 34 years ago tomorrow. Give it a watch tomorrow night while you're gorged on turkey and pecan pie. Oh and play it loud.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jdwolf

Re: The Last Waltz: November 25, 1976

Post by jdwolf »

Epic is right!!! A Thanksgiving tradition in our house!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Thirty-four years ago today.

...here's a question: regarding the actual album release from 1978, would this technically be considered a live album or a film soundtrack? Levon alleges the entire thing is overdubbed except his drum parts in his book: "This Wheel's On Fire." In it's regard as a soundtrack - it's the first of the Scorsese/Robertson film score collaborations - which have been prolific and are ongoing.

The film is absolutely one of the all time best music documentaries - right there with "Gimme Shelter," and "Stop Making Sense." What does everyone think of the Scorsese "Shine A Light" film (?) - same format as "The Last Waltz."

I'd love to see a DBT live-theater/many special guests/documentary film with band interviews & history, etc.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

StevieRay wrote:The film is absolutely one of the all time best music documentaries - right there with "Gimme Shelter," and "Stop Making Sense." What does everyone think of the Scorsese "Shine A Light" film (?) - same format as "The Last Waltz."

Not bad but it was more of a concert film than a documentary. I saw it at the local IMAX where I'd just seen U2 3D the week before. I'm just glad Shine A Light wasn't in 3D, particularly the close ups of Keef.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I remember being surprised at how good Shine a Light was. I wouldn't call it great or classic, but well worth watching. Buddy Guy steals the show, and i found it very interesting to see seasoned and well regarded performers of the stature of Jack White and Christina Aguilera get that deer in the headlights look because they were on stage w/, you know, the Stones, man!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Auntie Clams has it all queued up for when I arrive at her house this afternoon. Can't wait. She and I are the only ones in the family who appreciate stuff like the Last Waltz, so I'm really looking forward to it. I've also made her an 8 disc mix of mostly newer music (most of it being what I call 9B music :) ). That'll get some play later tonight and tomorrow.
If you don't run you rust

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Goin out back to "Dad's Sports Bar" right now to watch it. LOUD.
Then, this evening, Alice's Restaurant gets it's traditional spin.
Autographed by Arlo himself.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

4sooner wrote:Goin out back to "Dad's Sports Bar" right now to watch it. LOUD.

By any chance, did you get it signed on April 1, 1976, at Lloyd Noble or thereabouts?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

WMMR plays Alice's Restaurant at 12, 2, 4, 6 and 8 today. Already heard it once. All I know is the chorus but I love singing along.
If you don't run you rust

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

By any chance, did you get it signed on April 1, 1976, at Lloyd Noble or thereabouts?

No, I wasn't at that show.
My grandfather grew up with Woody in okemah, ok. Lifelong friends. Woody 's sister still lives here in Seminole about a block from where my grandmother lived for years. They were very tight also. She would call me whenever arlo would stop thru and see her as he would pass thru here. In about 84 or 85 he played a show at Riverparks Amphitheater in Tulsa. Mary Jo called me to see if I was going up for the show and could I give her a ride? None other than John Prine was opening! So yes I was going and yes absolutely she could ride up with us! Sat backstage as well as on the bus thru soundcheck and backstage with both Guthrie and prine for the whole show.
Got my record signed that night.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

It was my Mother's 47th birthday, and it happened about 100 miles from our house.
Keep calm and have a cigar

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Actually, The Last Waltz is my second favorite Scorcese music documentary. I think his Dylan documentary, No Direction Home, is his best. I love that movie.

Shine a Light was good but The Stones were decades past their prime when it was filmed.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Watched the first half this morning. Going to fire up the second half shortly. Damn Mavis Staples had (and has) some set of pipes.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Didn't watch it yesterday, but spun the vinyl at the end of a long, thankful day.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

XM's Deep Tracks channel played Alice's Restaurant at several different intervals yesterday. Thankfully they announced the airtimes ahead of time so I could conveniently avoid them. I love the song but sometimes even listening to it once a year is too much. Same goes for Freebird and Stairway.

beantownbubba wrote:I remember being surprised at how good Shine a Light was. I wouldn't call it great or classic, but well worth watching. Buddy Guy steals the show, and i found it very interesting to see seasoned and well regarded performers of the stature of Jack White and Christina Aguilera get that deer in the headlights look because they were on stage w/, you know, the Stones, man!

I found Jack White's voice to be nothing less than grating in Shine A Light. Not a White Stripes fan then, not White Stripes fan now but I did learn to appreciate Jack White via his appearance in It Might Get Loud.

RevMatt wrote:Shine a Light was good but The Stones were decades past their prime when it was filmed.

Considering how much hell the Stones catch for being a shitty live act, needing to retire, etc., I thought they were in fine form for their Shine A Light performance.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Who's says you can't have two new threads primarily about The Band? This epic event took place 34 years ago tomorrow. Give it a watch tomorrow night while you're gorged on turkey and pecan pie. Oh and play it loud.

I watch this 5-6 times a year easy...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

3milelake wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Who's says you can't have two new threads primarily about The Band? This epic event took place 34 years ago tomorrow. Give it a watch tomorrow night while you're gorged on turkey and pecan pie. Oh and play it loud.

I watch this 5-6 times a year easy...

Me too. Wore out a copy this year and bought a new one the other day.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Clams wrote:Auntie Clams has it all queued up for when I arrive at her house this afternoon. Can't wait. She and I are the only ones in the family who appreciate stuff like the Last Waltz, so I'm really looking forward to it. I've also made her an 8 disc mix of mostly newer music (most of it being what I call 9B music :) ). That'll get some play later tonight and tomorrow.

hey clams, can you bring up that old thread where auntie clams was defending Robbie R? i meant to print and save that thread.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Cool. I did not know it was recorded on my 9th birthday.