Artist of the Week - Hayes Carll/Trouble in Mind

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Artist of the Week - Hayes Carll/Trouble in Mind

Post by Clams »

(this is a last-minute deal due to an Artist of the Week cancelation over the weekend, so please go easy on me)
Picture if you will someone who looks kind of like Shaggy from Scooby Doo with a guitar and a slow Texas drawl, well that’s Hayes Carll. Hayes is a young dude from Houston who’s spent time in the music scenes of Austin and the Galveston/gulf coast area. About two years ago, I started seeing his name pop up all over the old Nine Bullets board. People were seeing his shows and the cover shot of his Trouble in Mind record was all over the What’s Everybody Listening To thread. Right about that time, by total coincidence, my aunt from New Jersey sent me the CD from Amazon. Coming from an artist I’d never heard before, Trouble in Mind hit me like few other records have in my adult years - the only ones I can think of are Brighter Than Creation’s Dark in 2008 and Car Wheels in 1998, and maybe the Flying Burrito Bros Anthology that I found in 2007. To me at least, this record is that good.

The songs on Trouble in Mind are filled with seedy characters, grimy bars, shimmering gulf coast beaches, whiskey drinkers, pot smokers, carousers, wild nights, wild women and a great sense of humor. Musically, it's got everything we all like - blues, rock, country, pedal steel, fiddle, etc. Here are some track-by-track thoughts…

Drunken Poet’s Dream – I need to find a girl like this. Co-written with Ray Wylie Hubbard
It's a Shame - "Just kissing for hours underneath that sweet magnolia" - mmmmm
Girl Downtown – might just be the sweetest song ever written. My little girl always sings it with me in the car.
Bad Liver and a Broken Heart - a great title, a great riff and a great opening line ("Arkansas, my head hurts!")
Beaumont – “where the water meets the shore” – Never been there but I’ve no doubt Beaumont’s as beautiful as it sounds in this song.
I Got a Gig - you gotta love bars like this
Faulkner Street - I think this is what it's like when Cotter and Wrekkr go to the shakk for a couple of weeks
Wild as a Turkey - "Empty as my wallet on a Sunday afternoon" - yep, we've all been there
Don't Let Me Fall - a good ol' fashioned downer.
A Lover Like You - play that slide!
I Don't Want to Grow Up - the Hayes Carll drawl on a Tom Waits cover. Was there ever a truer song?
Knockin Over Whiskeys – “you got me spinnin’ round in circles like a tin can in the spokes” - love it.
Willing to Love Again - a loser's lament. Look inside this song and you might see someone you know really well
She Left Me for Jesus - just who is this jesus guy? one of the funniest songs ever (see below for the equally hilarious vid)

By the way, DBT’s not the only band coming out with a new record on February 15. Hayes’ follow up to Trouble in Mind is due out that day too. It’s called K.M.A.G. Y.O.Y.O. which stands for Kiss My Ass Guys, You’re on Your Own. You can hear part of the title track and also a new holiday song on his myspace page http://www.myspace.com/hayescarll and there’s more info on his website http://www.hayescarll.com/store/

Here’s some vids and pics and stuff. Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts, particularly from anyone who’s familiar with his first two records.

If you don't run you rust

Gator McKlusky

Re: Artist of the Week - Hayes Carll/Trouble in Mind

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Nice one Clams, I have listened to Trouble In Mind more than a few times. Did you see Hayes Carll on Austin City Limits a couple of weeks ago with Ray Wylie Hubbard? they did an awesome Drunken Poets Dream together.

P.S. Beaumont is a shithole--smelly and polluted, because of all the refineries and chemical plants.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Great job Clams, although I'm a bit surprised you aren't more familiar with hist first 2 albums. I actually think Little Rock is a better album than Trouble in Mind, but both are great. Flowers & Liquor is a good album too, but it has less full band arrangements.

The title track on Little Rock is just dirty, dirty rock and roll/country. I can't get tired of it.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Nice one Clams, I have listened to Trouble In Mind more than a few times. Did you see Hayes Carll on Austin City Limits a couple of weeks ago with Ray Wylie Hubbard? they did an awesome Drunken Poets Dream together.

P.S. Beaumont is a shithole--smelly and polluted, because of all the refineries and chemical plants.

Say it ain't so! Beaumont's beautiful in the song so it has to be in real life too, right?

Iowan wrote:Great job Clams, although I'm a bit surprised you aren't more familiar with hist first 2 albums. I actually think Little Rock is a better album than Trouble in Mind, but both are great. Flowers & Liquor is a good album too, but it has less full band arrangements.

The title track on Little Rock is just dirty, dirty rock and roll/country. I can't get tired of it.

I said go easy on me, bro. As much as I love Trouble in Mind, I have't dabbled in the other two records. Don't know why, maybe 'cause I haven't tired of Trouble yet.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:Nice one Clams, I have listened to Trouble In Mind more than a few times. Did you see Hayes Carll on Austin City Limits a couple of weeks ago with Ray Wylie Hubbard? they did an awesome Drunken Poets Dream together.

Say it ain't so! Beaumont's beautiful in the song so it has to be in real life too, right?

Iowan wrote:Great job Clams, although I'm a bit surprised you aren't more familiar with hist first 2 albums. I actually think Little Rock is a better album than Trouble in Mind, but both are great. Flowers & Liquor is a good album too, but it has less full band arrangements.

I said go easy on me, bro. As much as I love Trouble in Mind, I have't dabbled in the other two records. Don't know why, maybe 'cause I haven't tired of Trouble yet.

I'm not trying to be too hard on you, just letting you know that you're in for something good when you pull that trigger.

Also, I've never been to Beaumont, but I kind of assumed it was a shithole from the song. The song is beautiful, but the picture it paints to me suggests that the back ground is kind of rough. I've gathered that theme from his music. I think he once said he wrote songs about Arkansas because "everyone was writing songs about Texas"/sort of as a joke. There's a busted down (in a great way) feel to a lot of his characters, so I assume, like DBT that he's kind of celebrating the rundown.

Here's some stuff from the earlier albums:
Little Rock (Little Rock): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYz3N6qS9aM
Rivertown (Little Rock): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQtMxzxJAtg
Take Me Away (Little Rock): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkadN7qz0s
Highway 87 (Flowers & Liquor): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8AlBrBYbk0
Naked Checkers (Flowers & Liquor): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhH4F5ppgNA

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

first song I heard by Hayes was "Down the Road Tonight"

Thrift store cowboys, five and dime junkies
Red dirt plowboys, asphalt monkeys
Holy rollers, signal callers
Truck stop angels, backstreet brawlers
Van Zandt groupies, guitar slingers
Hallelujah gospel singers
Freight-train mamas, pistol shooters
My first girlfriend works at Hooters
Beans and biscuits in my cupboard
Listen to Ray Wylie Hubbard
All gone down on the road tonight

Drunken angels, blacktop racers
Holy rollers, whiskey chasers
Lonestar drinkers, midnight ramblers
Dirt road divas, highway gamblers
Moonshine mamas, panty droppers
Dhali Llamas, ol' pill poppers
High-school heroes, back row preachers
Pool hall hustlers, tantric teachers
Teenage cuties politickin'
Harry Krishna feed me chicken

Bluejean babies, old heartbreakers
Had a party with some Quakers
Heartworn highways, country singers
Radio's full old right-wingers
Session players, duct tape dealers
Outlaw country, hubcap stealers
Ain't no money in my wallet
Broke again is what they call it
My Grandmother's name was Spiller
Michael Jackson peaked at Thriller

Jukebox gypsies, mustang sally's
Don't go walkin' down dark alleys
Needle pushers, horn rimmed glasses
Rhinestone jumpsuit, backstage passes
Blue plate specials, Luanne platters
Japanese is all that matters
Broken arrows, gulf coast kickers
"Who's your daddy?" bumper stickers
Dah dah dah dah dah dah dahhh
Ha-ah-ah-ah Ah-ah
Ah yeah, aw uh duntdunt

I was hooked.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I really do like Hayes and Trouble is for sure my favorite of his. Did anyone see the Austin City Limits show? Hayes sounded pretty bad. It was like he was drunk with marbles in his mouth. It took all his energy just to get the words out. I've seen other clips and thought he was great. I was just a bit let down with his performance.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Hayes is great live. No doubt. and a sweetheart.
I love all of his albums.
Can't wait to see him in a few weeks.
I may be the gal in Hayes's Drunken Poet's Dream and I've lived It's a Shame...
love me some Hayes
p.s. Beaumont needs more white roses, cuz that place is a shithole...
NSFW

Clams

Post by Clams »

littlemamma wrote:Hayes is great live. No doubt. and a sweetheart.
I love all of his albums.
Can't wait to see him in a few weeks.
I may be the gal in Hayes's Drunken Poet's Dream and I've lived It's a Shame...
love me some Hayes
p.s. Beaumont needs more white roses, cuz that place is a shithole...

If I'm not mistaken, Hayes once kissed littlemama on the cheek. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Love his albums and ready to hear the new one in Feb, but the one time I saw him live he was too drunk to really judge (but of course that is a judgement in itself). I am seeing him open for the Old 97s in Nashville in a few weeks so hopefully that will be better than last time.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So spending my New Year's Eve here in LIttle Rock seeing Hayes Carll is a good idea? (I've made various plans for NYE and none of them have yet panned out.) I need to decide on something quick, especially if I'm going out of town.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So spending my New Year's Eve here in LIttle Rock seeing Hayes Carll is a good idea? (I've made various plans for NYE and none of them have yet panned out.) I need to decide on something quick, especially if I'm going out of town.

yes
do it

Clams

Post by Clams »

Looks like HC is ramping it up for his new record, KMAG YOYO (coming out 2/15). Doing a couple of northeast dates on Feb 11-12, including WXPN's free lunch time set at the World Cafe Live in Philly on 2/11 (I'll be there for that) and a show in north Jersey that evening, plus a show in Levon's barn on 2/12. Plus a bunch of Texas dates from late Feb through March.

Clams

Post by Clams »

On the Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno tomorrow night (Fri, Jan 21)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:On the Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno tomorrow night (Fri, Jan 21)

Rockin the joint...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Hayes Carll did a show live on Facebook last night from the Saxon Pub in Austin and it was seriously fan-fucking-tastic. Hayes played some new stuff, some old stuff and did about 40 minutes of songs and stories with his special guest Ray Wylie Hubbard. Those two are such cool cats and they are really awesome together.

The whole thing's about 90 minutes and, if this link works properly, you can watch it here:
https://www.facebook.com/HayesCarll/pho ... =3&theater

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I saw where Hayes and Allison Moorer are dating. That would make for some good duets (keep it clean, folks).