Recent Purchases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

joelle

Post by joelle »

small wireless speaker= big clear sound
ears BOOM

works very well in my apartment playing music from my phone or laptop. well done, apple.

Van

Post by Van »

joelle wrote:Image

ears BOOM

works very well in my apartment playing music from my phone or laptop. well done, apple.

Nice! Did you pick it up at the Apple store? I need to get one. Model #?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Vinyl
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

joelle

Post by joelle »

Van wrote:
joelle wrote:Image

ears BOOM

Nice! Did you pick it up at the Apple store? I need to get one. Model #?

i did get it from the apple store. i did not know anything about wireless speakers, and the salespeople at apple were raving about the sound from these.
very very cool. small, portable, and fantastic sound.
a solid purchase.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

vinyl
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:Image
vinyl

You may have already seen me mention her but in case you haven't, be sure to check out the artwork of Jess Rotter when you get a chance, she's the one that did the illustrations for this record. She's also currently being featured at the very excellent Dust and Grooves website. I can't even begin to describe just how much I love that website.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
vinyl

You may have already seen me mention her but in case you haven't, be sure to check out the artwork of Jess Rotter when you get a chance, she's the one that did the illustrations for this record. She's also currently being featured at the very excellent Dust and Grooves website. I can't even begin to describe just how much I love that website.

:lol: I was just telling Cortez how you have made me fall in love with Jess Rotter.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
vinyl

:lol: I was just telling Cortez how you have made me fall in love with Jess Rotter.

You fellers ain't alone. I love her mix that goes along with the Dust & Groves feature. If y'all are anything like me, you'll soon find yourselves digging into the past features. One of my very favorites is the one on Rebecca Birmingham.

Kudzu Guillotine

ImageImage

Kudzu Guillotine

ImageImage

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I have a shipment from Amazon waiting for me at the post-office. I know it is music but I can't remember exactly what I ordered. Heading over there now to pick it up now, hoping to be surprised by myself.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

RolanK wrote:I have a shipment from Amazon waiting for me at the post-office. I know it is music but I can't remember exactly what I ordered. Heading over there now to pick it up now, hoping to be surprised by myself.

Turned out to be the fruits of a late night session in the Dexateens thread.

This
Image (which I already had gotten via iTunes long time ago, great album),

this
Image,

and this
Image.

And then there was this...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

cortez the killer

On wax (finally).
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:Image

I'll be interested to know what you think of this. It was one of the first records I ever bought when my love of alt.country initially took hold. I'm guessing you're already aware of the Son Volt connection via the presence of Dave Boquist and Eric Heywood on the record.

grapico

Post by grapico »

RolanK wrote:
RolanK wrote:I have a shipment from Amazon waiting for me at the post-office. I know it is music but I can't remember exactly what I ordered. Heading over there now to pick it up now, hoping to be surprised by myself.

Turned out to be the fruits of a late night session in the Dexateens thread.

This
Image (which I already had gotten via iTunes long time ago, great album),

this
Image,

and this
Image.

And then there was this...

Which one has been your favorite so far?

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

^^^^As stated above, Red Dust Rising has been with me quite some time already and I really love it, so of the other new accusations I think the self titled is the one. That may change with time though.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I upgraded my work listening-to-music-so-I-dont-have-to-listen-to-witless-drones solution by purchaing an AUNE T1 DAC/valve headphone amp. It is great. a massive upgrade over either PC on board sound card (not difficult) or the previous DAC which was a Focusrite VRM box.

I am going to try it with my favourite headphones (AKG K701's) but even with the average Sennheiser (280P's) it is such an upgrade.

still on my Sonic youth/Velevet underground bender.

http://en.auneaudio.com/html/en_product ... 54_20.html

cheap enough too: I got it second hand and it came with another tube to try as well.

I love tube amps.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

cortez the killer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I'll be interested to know what you think of this. It was one of the first records I ever bought when my love of alt.country initially took hold. I'm guessing you're already aware of the Son Volt connection via the presence of Dave Boquist and Eric Heywood on the record.

That Son Volt connection is why I bought the album. More specifically, it was this last part of AllMusic's review of the album - "Normal for Bridgwater leans more towards the Son Volt school, which is only natural since two of the band's regular members guest here. It's hard to call it a rip-off with any conviction, however, because it's actually better than anything Son Volt has done since their debut." I can't really comment on that quote, as I'm only 2 listens deep. However, I can recommend this album to SV fans and those who kinda like SV, except that Jay's voice is "annoying" or the lyrics are "too pretentious" or "clumsy."
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

That Son Volt connection is why I bought the album. More specifically, it was this last part of AllMusic's review of the album - "Normal for Bridgwater leans more towards the Son Volt school, which is only natural since two of the band's regular members guest here. It's hard to call it a rip-off with any conviction, however, because it's actually better than anything Son Volt has done since their debut." I can't really comment on that quote, as I'm only 2 listens deep. However, I can recommend this album to SV fans and those who kinda like SV, except that Jay's voice is "annoying" or the lyrics are "too pretentious" or "clumsy."

It's been a few months since I last broke it out but to the best of my recollection, it's definitely along the lines of Son Volt's mellower, pastoral side.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Kudzu Guillotine

I was recently gifted with a fairly extensive vinyl collection that a friend just wanted to get rid of. I was able to parlay a small chunk of it into sealed vinyl copies of Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance. The Guy's on CD.
ImageImage

Kudzu Guillotine

ImageImage

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Went down to Brighton for the weekend and had a bit of a trawl through the second hand shops down there. Ended up by the following (all on vinyl)

The Springsteen I already had but these are originals rather than the crappy 1980's nice price reissues.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Kudzu Guillotine

Someone gave me an iTunes gift card at Christmas, it's taken me this long to finally redeem it for $25 worth of purchases.

Tim Easton Not Cool

...on the other end of the spectrum, on vinyl:

The Moaners Nocturnal

Kudzu Guillotine

The deluxe edition (with an Isle of Wight concert where Dylan is backed by the Band) is damn tempting but I don't exactly have a spare $100 setting around the house to splurge on it so this two disc version is just going to have to do.

cortez the killer

- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

went to a decent but over-priced record store in Newburyport after dinner last night...got the new Isbell, Segall and reissue of the Mt Goats All Hail West Texas.