Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

4sooner

Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Post by 4sooner »

"If Neil Young had played guitar and written songs with Lynyrd Skynyrd it might have come out something like Festus, Mo.'s own Bottle Rockets."
I wish i could take credit for that quote to start this write-up, but it's something I read somewhere-Can't remember where it was-after I first heard "$1000 Car" and started digging to find more from this greatly underappreciated band.
This was my "go to" band from the first time I heard them in '00 til about '06 when I fanally heard Ronnie & Neil. I would think the fanbase of these two bands would have a crossover rate of about 100%.
Brian Henneman is The Bottle Rockets. Songwriter-sometimes collaborating with Scott Taylor-guitarist, driving creative force. He also spent time with fellow Mizzou native Jay Farrar as guitar tech/player for Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Mark Ortmann has been the drummer for Brox since the early days with several personel changes on bass and guitar. Hennemans songs are full of biting social commentary and everyman observations. The first time I heard the term Southern Gothic was in relation to these guys.
AND THEY ROCK!!!!!
So here is a rundown of their recorded output with a little sample of each to whet your appetite. I'm no blogger, so this the best I can do. Hope you enjoy it.
And please go see them live if you get a chance. Something I've never gotten to do.

The Bottle Rockets-1993
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... osene&aq=0

The Brooklyn Side-1995
Still hailed by many as their "classic". Contains Welfare Music, Radar Gun, I Wanna Come Home, $1000 Car and many more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDcSP4I ... 1&index=95

24 Hours A Day-1997
A great followup to Brooklyn. Songs include the title track, Perfect Far Away, Waitin For A Train, And this one which may be what has kept them out of the lineup for FarmAid all these years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJVqJdKhh1A

Leftovers-1998
This is an album of outtakes and you can tell. Still there are some nice songs on it including Get Down River.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9V8odXnG5o

Brand NewYear-1999
Another very solid album from beginning to end. Some personal favorites from this one:Alone In Bad Co., White Boy Blues, Dead Dog Memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ePYhrT3ec

Songs Of Sahm-2001
Tribute album to the great Doug Sahm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOvpeLdOB4

Blue Sky-2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBFWkUq7SFw

Zoysia-2006
Another one of my favorite albums. This one kicks ass. Another comeback album from the band that won't die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmqES7nrVDI

Lean Forward-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3usJxqfuwc

Live From Heilbronn, Ger.-2006
A great Live album. 2 discs. The vids here that are obviously prof shot are from this dvd.

There you are kids. Hope you get into em half as much as I do.

dime in the gutter

Re: Artrist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Post by dime in the gutter »

great band. long time fan. sneaky good, smart songwriting and beast like chops with the axe. henneman is an american treasure.

flying v dude wearing a jason isbell shirt in the lean forward vid.

nice selection 4sooner.

well done.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Good job!
The pride of Festus, Mo. Good guys making consistently great music for a long, long time. Can't ask for much more than that.
If you ever have a chance to see 'em, don't pass it up.
By the way, here's a groovy one-off 45 of the Bottle Rockets from their instore at Euclid Records in St. Louis, as part of the store's ongoing 45 series:
http://www.euclidrecords.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=2651204

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Love the B-Rox.

I've been looking all over for their first record, but it's been out of print forever. Their next 2, The Brooklyn Side and 24 Hours a Day, are both classics. The Brooklyn Side, for whatever reason, is often available dirt-cheap at Amazon and eBay. It's one of my favorite "alt-country" records by anybody.

Fun fact: In addition to working with Uncle Tupelo and playing in the Tweedy/Farrar side project Coffee Creek, Brian Henneman is the lead guitarist on Wilco's first record A.M. Tweedy didn't hire Jay Bennett until after A.M. was recorded.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great job, 4sooner. A day late but worth the wait!

A Truer Sound has a ton of B-Rox boots and demos...
http://atruersound.com/?tag=bottle-rockets

ATS also has a great sampler...
that can be downloaded here...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NCLT8XW0

FYI, the B-Rox are doing a short east coast swing first week of November (including a Philly show on Friday 11/5).
Last edited by Clams on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Fun fact: In addition to working with Uncle Tupelo and playing in the Tweedy/Farrar side project Coffee Creek, Brian Henneman is the lead guitarist on Wilco's first record A.M.

roger that. his chicken pickin' on that's not the issue is god like.

dime in the gutter

Clams wrote:A day late but worth the wait!

clams gets "asshole of the day" award.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime in the gutter wrote:

Let's give Clams a pass on this shall we? I'm sure he meant no disrespect to 4sooner's excellent piece and without him we would have no AOTW feature. Clams took it all in himself when the founder of this particular feast took a powder in us in June. So instead let's thank Clams for continuing this great thread week after week. Oh and 4sooner? Kick asss!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Let's give Clams a pass on this shall we? I'm sure he meant no disrespect to 4sooner's excellent piece and without him we would have no AOTW feature. Clams took it all in himself when the founder of this particular feast took a powder in us in June. So instead let's thank Clams for continuing this great thread week after week. Oh and 4sooner? Kick asss!

just busting balls. did not mean to offend any delicate sensibilities.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime, you didn't offend. Just took it as an opportunity to thank Clams for thegood work.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:dime, you didn't offend. Just took it as an opportunity to thank Clams for thegood work.

I agree. This Clams guy is fantastic!
Image Image

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:dime, you didn't offend. Just took it as an opportunity to thank Clams for thegood work.

I agree. This Clams guy is fantastic!
Image Image

he's a lil overrated... 8-)

Greate writeup/great choice - here's one of my favorite articles on them (off the no depression archives, a treasure trove)

The sign reads “Haircuts $6″, painted across the window so boldly as to obscure the interior and with no especial concern for aesthetics. Inside, the salon is decorated much like the back room of a thrift shop at the edge of a bad neighborhood: A doll-sized chair made from a Budweiser can on the counter, generic cleaners used so often they’ve left their own trail of gray, ashtrays, clutter. The barber in back is giving a trim to a uniformed cop, in silence. Three beauticians up front trade tequila war stories from the night before, which would have been Monday.

The woman in tight pink with the free chair doubtless turned heads 20 years back, but is far enough removed from those days that the memory no longer concerns her. She has lettered “Brushes Not Garbage” across a small plastic garbage can at the foot of her chair, is playing a St. Louis new country station on the solid state stereo in the corner, and is smoking a long, unfiltered cigarette between deep, fluid coughs. Her scissors don’t draw blood, quite.

“You making fun of my music?” she jokes with a regular. “I like this new country, not that old cry in your beer stuff.”

One forgets to ask if she likes the Bottle Rockets.

Brian Henneman, principal singer and songwriter of the group voted St. Louis’ best country outfit two years in a row, lives only a few blocks from the salon. (So, for that matter, does Jay Farrar, only on a nicer street.) He shares a comfortable apartment atop a neighborhood bar with someone he identifies only with deep and wry affection as “mah wo-man” until she comes home from work. Sometimes Brian whiles away the nights sitting in the kitchen playing his guitar along with the jukebox.

See, it’s been a long time since the Bottle Rockets had much of anything to do, except wait.

But at last they have a release date — July 8, on Atlantic — for 24 Hours a Day, their third long-player, which means it will come out almost exactly one year after it was recorded, and 14 months after the band last formally toured.

During those intervening months, the Bottle Rockets flirted with bankruptcy (the unwritten sequel to The Brooklyn Side track “1000 Dollar Car” involves a $250-a-day diesel bus), changed management and booking agents, watched as Atlantic reabsorbed the TAG imprint to which they were signed, and spent some months wondering if they would be among the acts dropped in the restructuring Atlantic (and virtually every major label) has been going through.

All of which follows two years of touring behind The Brooklyn Side, a process extended when TAG chose to re-release the album in the fall of ‘95 after signing the Bottle Rockets from East Side Digital (which had originally released the album in the fall of ‘94). Oh, and ESD, for whom the Bottle Rockets recorded their eponymous debut, recently evaporated, which leaves their first album in some kind of limbo. Henneman and Tom Parr (drummer Mark Ortmann lives in Minneapolis; bassist Tom Ray lives in Chicago) just look at each other and start laughing.

“That’s a good question, what will happen with the first album?” Brian says. “Who knows? Should we make it again? We’ll make it as our next album.”

“Only 5-10,000 people bought it anyway,” Tom shrugs.

“There was some small little contract,” Brian says, rubbing his beard, “but … I don’t know. We could probably call a lawyer somewhere and find out, but I don’t know.”

“Well, we’ve got plenty of lawyers,” Tom says, emptying a can of Busch.

For those keeping score at home, that makes three labels with whom the Bottle Rockets have been associated that are no longer in business, counting the Rockville release of their first single, “Indianapolis”. Happily enough, they’ve re-recorded “Indianapolis” for their latest. Kind of had to, the way things worked out.

“We figured the song could stand a little better chance,” Brian says. “And it kind of fit with the whole vibe. By damn, we were recording in Indiana, and it had the whole John Cougar reference, and we were doing it in Mike Wanchic’s studio, who’s Coug’s guitar player. And he played the rhythm guitar part on the very guitar that was used on ‘Jack & Diane’. So that was enough reason to do it right there.”

“So when you listen to it, just when you think of the acoustic guitar, think of …” and Tom starts singing the Cougar guitar part.

“That’s the one,” laughs Brian. “I was playing through a silver-faced Fender Deluxe Reverb that actually had ‘Cougar’ stenciled on the back of it. The Coug was all over the place, man, it was just like the ghost of…”

So why isn’t he singing on it?

Brian drops his voice into a smoker’s drawl. “Well, Coug don’t do that.”

“It’s his guitar player’s studio, he won’t go there,” Tom says. “He’s never been in that studio.”

“You gotta keep 30 feet back from the Coug,” Brian says. “That’s a fact, too, ’cause we opened for him one time. The band’s cool as hell, they’re hangin’ out in the dressing room. Then it’s like, okay, Coug’s coming, get the hell out of the dressing room. Including his band. Then we go out in the parking lot, and some guy’s saying, OK, 30 feet, you gotta keep 30 feet back.”

“He needs his space,” Tom says.

“That’s right,” Brian nods. “Keep 30 feet. That’s why he only plays big stages, because the band’s got to keep 30 feet away.” They laugh for a time, then Brian looks up. “Naw, I’m not trashing the Coug. I’ve seen more Coug concerts than anything else. I’ve always gotten free tickets somehow. I thought he was the best thing at Farm Aid, not this year, but the year before.”

So much for fashion, but then St. Louis — much less Festus, 35 miles or so south, where Brian and Tom and their friends all grew up — isn’t much concerned with the tyranny of style.

See, the Bottle Rockets’ roots go back to a few crucial nights in Festus when Brian caught Cheap Trick and then, mere weeks later, the Ramones, on “Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert” and decided maybe he really could play guitar. A previous fondness for Rush had somehow eroded his confidence. “Here I am with this guitar my parents bought me and I’m listening to Rush and Aerosmith and I’m not relating with this G chord I learned from the Mel Bay book. But after Cheap Trick, it was like, man, I gotta pick this thing back up. Originally, I wasn’t going to play guitar, it was going to be bass. Bass has got four strings, and you’re watching the Ramones and Cheap Trick, and you’re going I can definitely play that,” he chuckles.

“And I woulda got a bass, except I found a Stratocaster for less money. The bass was going to be like $375 at Robert’s Music in Festus, Missouri, and then in the Trading Times they had a Fender Stratocaster, $275. ‘Damn, for the same money I could get that and an amplifier.’ So it was teenage economics that made me a guitarist.”

Tom Parr’s brother Robert bought a bass, they found a singer and the usual string of drummers, and they dubbed themselves the Blue Moons. The apogee of their success as a cover band came the same day Ricky Nelson died. “Our biggest gig ever was $250 on New Year’s Eve,” Brian chuckles. “And there was like eight people in the bar. The bar owner called me aside after the third set, and I thought he was going to tell me he couldn’t pay us. Instead he says, ‘Look, man, I’ll give you $210 if you leave right now!’ I said, Buddy, you got a deal.”

That was about the end of the Blue Moons. Brian and Robert hung out in Festus for about a year, pretty much doing nothing. “I think the punk excitement was over by like ‘85,” Brian recalls, “and the rock coming out at that time was just not doing anything for me at all. So it was time to find something else.” That was when Bob stumbled across John Anderson’s first hit single, “Swingin’”, on the radio.

“We got the album, and there were better songs than ‘Swingin’,” Brian says, opening another can. “So we got infatuated with John Anderson. It was like, ‘Whoa, that’s it! We don’t look like Aerosmith, let’s be country, that’s the answer, that’s why we failed. Look at John Anderson, that’s us. We can do that. Those chords are as easy as these chords, and they don’t even go as fast.’ So that was our big plan, to get down in the trenches and decide to be country. But we didn’t want to learn country songs, we wanted to take what we knew and write our own country songs.”

So they re-enlisted the last Blue Moons drummer, made Robert’s little brother take up the guitar, and named the new band after John Anderson’s second single, “Chicken Truck”. (”We made sure it was one of the ones he wrote,” Brian said.)

But Anderson was only half the new equation.

“John Anderson was the woodpile,” Brian says, struggling to get the history in order, “and Jason & the Scorchers was the gasoline and the match on the woodpile. I’ve always been lucky with MTV, seeing the one video that they might play once, and I saw them doing ‘Absolutely Sweet Marie’. And then, just by fate, I was driving somewhere and I heard on the radio that Jason & the Scorchers were coming to Mississippi Nights, which is the big club here in St. Louis. So it cost $4 and they were great, just totally great.” Connect that to an early fondness for ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd and a binge of Kinks, and you get the picture.

Chicken Truck went on to acquire a small kind of legendary status, though Brian shrugs it off. “It’s a local thing, a band that had an entire career in one tavern in St. Louis. Did the whole thing, got crazy, did punk rock, performance art, the whole bit. We’d just get out of hand. And it was all country, though, all country music.”

Well, sorta country. “We tried to be a country band, tried playing country songs, but nobody liked us,” Brian admits. “We didn’t know about the whole country dance thing. There’s certain rhythms that you two-step to, the whole bit. We just knew that Buck Owens was cool and John Anderson was cool and…”

“Neil Young was cool,” Tom chips in.

“Yeah! Neil Young, that’s country.” Brian shakes his head and laughs hard. “People just hated us, so we failed as a country band. We tried it for a while, tried to come to St. Louis and get a gig, it didn’t work out. … It ended up Uncle Tupelo, who used to be the Primitives, which we played with when we were the Blue Moons — see, this is all shit that’s getting forgotten and remembered in bad order. We opened for them, blah blah blah, turned into a punk rock band, blah blah blah, the whole bit. Opened for Meat Loaf.”

Later Brian digs up the tape of a Chicken Truck show, offering the explanation that the band got four pitchers of beer and, at the time, he was the only one who drank. The second set opens with Springsteen’s “The Ties That Bind”, segues into the Stones’ “Waiting For a Friend”, then drifts through Gene Davis into Chuck Berry, through a Ted Nugent medley into Hank Thompson, then Webb Pierce, then their own “Wave That Flag”, a Paula Abdul cover, and a closing Neil Young shambles. (That’s right, Paula Abdul.)

And, yes, “Wave That Flag” is the same song, more or less, that shows up on the first Bottle Rockets record. Indeed, the Bottle Rockets are still pulling tracks from a 90-minute tape of original Chicken Truck compositions. Including “Perfect Far Away” (”I wonder if she’s real/I really couldn’t so/Well I don’t wanna know/’Cause she’s so perfect far away”) on their latest, one of the cuts being considered for release as a single, though Brian had to find his advance copy of the CD to remember which tracks were on it.

“There’s a whole ‘nother album that didn’t get put out on this one,” he explains, looking down at the pre-release disc. “We recorded 20-something songs out there.”

That’s almost Wilco-length.

Brian laughs again. Over dinner later, he recalls having first heard the Wilco two-disc set over CB radio, one Bottle Rocket tour van transmitting it to the other, and whoever else happened to be listening as they drove to Minneapolis.

“Well, if we really wanted to, I guess we could go back and do a triple,” says Tom. “We’ve got enough songs sitting around.”

“This record’s been so long, I’m totally ready to go make another one now,” Brian says. “It’s interesting now because we have played this stuff live maybe five or ten times in the last year.” He pauses, blinks. “Oh boy, we played five times last year. But the songs are already goosing up. Just from the five times we’ve played it, it’s already like leaning forward and poking you in the chest. If we were on the road for a week straight, it would definitely be poking you in the chest and stealing your lunch money.”

On disc, anyway, the newest Bottle Rockets songs are less rambunctious than their predecessors. In part this is because it is their second outing with producer Eric Ambel, and in part it’s because they had more time in the studio. Mostly, though, the songs are more personal this time out. Brian and Tom look at each other, nonplussed by this assessment, their memory of the disc fogged by time and the number of unreleased tracks it produced. “Maybe the stuff that didn’t get on there is the crazy-ass stuff,” Brian decides at last.

“There was no desperation, other than our own personal desperation,” he adds, struggling to remember exactly. “The thing was, we had twice as much time to make this one.”

“And The Brooklyn Side had twice the amount of time as the first one,” Tom picks up. “Really, we did that one in three days. All the tracks were down by Tuesday morning, and we came in there Monday evening.”

“Yeah, the first one was done and finished in three days,” Brian says. “The second one was finished in eight days, and this is like one of those sprawled out major-label affairs. It was finished in three weeks, and then it was finished again six months later, after three days of mixing.”

He pauses, reflects for a moment. “I kind of like the panic of the fast, I don’t like that slow stuff. Too many choices.”

Some of that abundance came from the six songwriters who play with and/or contribute to the Bottle Rockets (and the still-open-for-plundering legacy of Chicken Truck). Bob Parr is now a fireman but chips in the odd song, as does Scott Taylor, a record-collecting schoolteacher back home in Festus who sometimes co-writes with Brian.

And, despite the joyous bluster of their live shows (there’s a reason Brian wears a Motorhead T-shirt), it’s the songs that make one take notice of the Bottle Rockets. Those of us with more education than sense tend to romanticize the virtues of the working class; either that, or totally discount their wisdom and survival skills. At the same time, there is nothing more desperate than a scrawny dog roped to the porch of a sagging double-wide.

It is the Bottle Rockets’ virtue that they are able to render their world hard and smart, in plain English. It’s tough to get confused when, as Tom must eventually, you’ve got to run off to your job as a janitor at the insurance office. (”It’s the cockroach of jobs,” Brian says, and he knows.) 24 Hours a Day comes straight outta South St. Louis, complete with an homage to “Slo Toms”, one of those bars you can get tossed out of for not drinking enough or fast enough. Or “One of You”, a curiously touching love song about the drive home.

Mostly, there’s a kind of world-worn resignation to the thing, wrapped up nicely in “Rich Man” and “Turn For The Worse”. The protagonist of “Rich Man”, to paraphrase, dies of a heart attack without ever having made time to use that organ. “Turn For The Worse” is the other side of the coin, a commentary on the fragility of what Henneman calls “the Taco Bell lifestyle.”

There is still the sense, in other words, that the Bottle Rockets are getting away with something by not quite having normal careers.

No, that’s just where ideas come from. “Smokin’ 100’s Alone”, for example, is probably the best song of the set. It’s the story of a woman who’s tossed out her worthless boyfriend, again, waiting and wondering if he’ll come back, again. A touching song, nearly conventional country in its structure, it’s written with wonderful detail and from her perspective. It is almost a sequel to Tom Parr’s “What More Can I Do?” from The Brooklyn Side, an almost tongue-in-cheek explanation of domestic violence from the batterer’s perspective.

“Smokin’ 100’s Alone” marks a quiet breakthrough for Brian. “That was the first time I’ve written from a fictional perspective, other than the silly songs,” he says. “We were sitting at Bob Evans restaurant eating breakfast one morning, and there was a lady sitting behind us, smoking. Well, my friend, this total character, he just says [in a deep voice] ‘Oooh, she’s smoking 100’s alone. You should write a song about that.’ Well, it sounded too cool, so I had to totally make it up.”

He stops for a second. “Well, you know what? That is not the first fiction. The first fiction was ‘Financing His Romance’, which was recorded for this album but didn’t make the cut. But the thing about ‘Financing His Romance’ which was funny was that it was totally fiction, but it turned out to be a true story in my life about six or maybe eight months after it got written.”

In the right hands, real life and fiction come to about the same thing. In the Bottle Rockets’ hands, the Ramones, John Anderson and Neil Young come to about the same thing. And the beauty of South St. Louis — other than cheap rent, and $6 haircuts — is that it doesn’t seem like anybody much cares.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

great read. especially like this quote.

“Yeah! Neil Young, that’s country.” Brian shakes his head and laughs hard. “People just hated us, so we failed as a country band. We tried it for a while, tried to come to St. Louis and get a gig, it didn’t work out. … It ended up Uncle Tupelo, who used to be the Primitives, which we played with when we were the Blue Moons — see, this is all shit that’s getting forgotten and remembered in bad order. We opened for them, blah blah blah, turned into a punk rock band, blah blah blah, the whole bit. Opened for Meat Loaf.”

Smitty

Re: Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Post by Smitty »

http://welfare-music.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -1993.html

the first of many Bottle Rockets-related posts this week

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

:lol: :D :) ;)

Mad props to AOTW concierge Clams.

Here's a write-up on "The Bo-Rocks" first published in The Chicago Reader in 1995 (right after The Brooklyn Side), quoted here on Gumbopages:
http://www.gumbopages.com/music/bottlerockets.html

Nice work 4sooner.

"Likes to have fun on Saturday night, Sunday morning don't shine too bright."

Bowie cover:

Faces cover:

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Cover of "Walk On" w/ Jeff Tweedy on vocals (@ Schubas):

FUCK YEAH

scotto

Post by scotto »

And don't forget this great moment in rock 'n' roll history...

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Isq-qs ... =1&index=3

I'll tie this is with BC's Song o the week thread.
BH at his guitar playin best

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

When 4sooner speaks people listen (or at least they should). I am not the only one on this board whose rock n roll life is substantially richer for having been turned on to the Bottle Rockets by the quadrokie. Well done. If there is any justice in life a dbt/brox double bill will land in OKC before long :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:... If there is any justice in life a dbt/brox double bill will land in OKC before long :)

Actually, if there's any real justice, it would be in Tulsa so we could see them at Cain's Ballroom, one of the coolest venues on the planet.

Rusty Shackleford

This is an acoustic show from 1994 at the Mercury Lounge in New York. They'd apparently just finished recording The Brooklyn Side, and this show has them playing acoustic versions of those songs as well as some stuff off the first record.

The sound is great, the songs are great, check it out.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y37C43U0

The Bottle Rockets at Mercury Lounge

Kerosene
Trailer Mama
Hey Moon
Manhattan Countryside
$1000 Car
I Wanna Come Home
Every Kinda Everything
Welfare Music
Queen of the World
Pot of Gold
Idiot's Revenge
Gas Girl
Young Lovers In Town
Truck Drivin Man
Early in the Morning
Radar Gun

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

^^^^very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:This is an acoustic show from 1994 at the Mercury Lounge in New York. They'd apparently just finished recording The Brooklyn Side, and this show has them playing acoustic versions of those songs as well as some stuff off the first record.

The sound is great, the songs are great, check it out.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y37C43U0

The Bottle Rockets at Mercury Lounge

Kerosene
Trailer Mama
Hey Moon
Manhattan Countryside
$1000 Car
I Wanna Come Home
Every Kinda Everything
Welfare Music
Queen of the World
Pot of Gold
Idiot's Revenge
Gas Girl
Young Lovers In Town
Truck Drivin Man
Early in the Morning
Radar Gun

:D that was gonna be my next post on welfare music

Rusty Shackleford

Good choice!
:D

The Stranger

Post by The Stranger »

Buys cassette tapes in the bargain bin
Loves Carlene Carter and Loretta Lynn
Tries to have fun on a Saturday night
Sunday mornin' don't shine too bright

Henneman & crew are yet another example of a tragically underappreciated band.

4sooner wrote: And please go see them live if you get a chance. Something I've never gotten to do.

For those living in the Northeast, that chance is soon.
http://www.bottlerocketsmusic.com/shows/

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Good choice!
:D

how bout this one
http://welfare-music.blogspot.com/2010/ ... s-set.html

Bottle Rockets
4/19/2008
Euclid Records-St. Louis, MO

tuning and intro
Thousand Dollar Car (attempt)
Radar Gun
Thousand Dollar Car-Second Attempt
Get On The Bus
Love Like A Truck
Get Down River
Comin' At You Round The Bend
I'll Be Comin' Around
Kit Kat Clock
Indianapolis
Grubby Little Town
Welfare Music
Gotta Get Up

Brian Henneman - acoustic guitar & vocals
Mark Ortmann - tambourine
John Horton - laptop steel guitar

it ain't as good IMO as the one you posted, but it's an alright lil in-store. I'm gonna up one more, gonna listen to all the shows I got and try and find a good hard-rocking one

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

June 7, 2008--Howlin' Wolf says "Johnny--we're going to see the Bottle Rockets--they kick ass"

and kick ass they did

Here's an MP3 of my recording--came out nice--we got there late and missed the first 5 songs

The Bottle Rockets
Mercury Lounge
June 7, 2008
NYC, NY, USA

Original set list

1. Welfare Music
2. Slo Toms
3. Gas Girl
4. Gravity Fails
5. Suffering Servant
6. Lucky Break
7. Kerosene
8. 24 Hours a Day
9. 1000 Dollar Car
10. Love Like a Truck
11. Wave that Flag
12. Stuck in a Rut
13. Indianapolis
14. Smokin' 100's Alone
15. Trailer Mama
16. Waitin' on a Train
17. Zoysia
18. Get Down River
19. Pot of Gold
20. Radar Gun
21. Suffragette City
22. Kit Kat Club
23. Gotta Get Up
24. I'll Be Comin' Around
25. White Boy Blues
26. ?
27. New Song
28. Get On The Bus
29. Nancy Sinatra
30. I Wanna Come Home
31. Come & Get Your Love

My Set List

1. Lucky Break
2. Chatter
3. Kerosene
4. Chatter
5. 24 Hours a Day
6. 1000 Dollar Car
7. Love Like a Truck
8. Wave that Flag
9. Stuck in a Rut
10. Indianapolis
11. Chatter
12. Smokin' 100's Alone
13. Chatter
14. Trailer Mama
15. Waitin' on a Train
16. Zoysia
17. Chatter
18. Get Down River
19. Pot of Gold
20. Radar Gun
21. Suffragette City
22. Chatter
23. Kit Kat Club
24. Gotta Get Up
25. I'll Be Comin' Around
26. White Boy Blues
27. ?
28. New Song
29. Get On The Bus
30. Nancy Sinatra
31. I Wanna Come Home
32. Come & Get Your Love
Always go to the show

dime in the gutter

Jonicont wrote:June 7, 2008--Howlin' Wolf says "Johnny--we're going to see the Bottle Rockets--they kick ass"

and kick ass they did

Here's an MP3 of my recording--came out nice--we got there late and missed the first 5 songs

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uuvoo9

The Bottle Rockets
Mercury Lounge
June 7, 2008
NYC, NY, USA

Original set list

1. Welfare Music
2. Slo Toms
3. Gas Girl
4. Gravity Fails
5. Suffering Servant
6. Lucky Break
7. Kerosene
8. 24 Hours a Day
9. 1000 Dollar Car
10. Love Like a Truck
11. Wave that Flag
12. Stuck in a Rut
13. Indianapolis
14. Smokin' 100's Alone
15. Trailer Mama
16. Waitin' on a Train
17. Zoysia
18. Get Down River
19. Pot of Gold
20. Radar Gun
21. Suffragette City
22. Kit Kat Club
23. Gotta Get Up
24. I'll Be Comin' Around
25. White Boy Blues
26. ?
27. New Song
28. Get On The Bus
29. Nancy Sinatra
30. I Wanna Come Home
31. Come & Get Your Love

My Set List

1. Lucky Break
2. Chatter
3. Kerosene
4. Chatter
5. 24 Hours a Day
6. 1000 Dollar Car
7. Love Like a Truck
8. Wave that Flag
9. Stuck in a Rut
10. Indianapolis
11. Chatter
12. Smokin' 100's Alone
13. Chatter
14. Trailer Mama
15. Waitin' on a Train
16. Zoysia
17. Chatter
18. Get Down River
19. Pot of Gold
20. Radar Gun
21. Suffragette City
22. Chatter
23. Kit Kat Club
24. Gotta Get Up
25. I'll Be Comin' Around
26. White Boy Blues
27. ?
28. New Song
29. Get On The Bus
30. Nancy Sinatra
31. I Wanna Come Home
32. Come & Get Your Love

pretty great night of rock and roll.

thanks for posting.

Rusty Shackleford

Just saw these guys for the first time last night at Iota in Arlington, VA. Terrific show, with songs from the first record up to Lean Forward. It was the 16th anniversary of the Brooklyn Side release party, so they played several cuts from that classic album.

It's unbelievable to me that these guys are still playing little bars for 50 people while Kings of Leon sell out arenas. That's the music business, I guess. If you can catch their current east coast mini-tour (Philly tonight, NYC this weekend), do it. Lord knows they deserve the support.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Just saw these guys for the first time last night at Iota in Arlington, VA. Terrific show, with songs from the first record up to Lean Forward. It was the 16th anniversary of the Brooklyn Side release party, so they played several cuts from that classic album.

It's unbelievable to me that these guys are still playing little bars for 50 people while Kings of Leon sell out arenas. That's the music business, I guess. If you can catch their current east coast mini-tour (Philly tonight, NYC this weekend), do it. Lord knows they deserve the support.

I've had tonight's Philly show on my radar for a couple of weeks, but it ain't happening. Bummer.