Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Post by Clams »

I suppose anyone who cares already knows that the Bottle Rockets released a new record last week called Bit Logic. I've been listening to it a good bit (see what I did there?) and it's definitely a solid record.

On Friday this week they'll be playing WXPN's free at noon show at World Cafe Live in Philly. Y'all can stream it live (or get free tickets) here:
http://xpn.org/events/free-at-noon
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I tried to get the night off to be in St. Louis last night. Too bad it didn't work out.
Kudos to Jeff and Wilco......
https://www.jambase.com/article/wilco-b ... n-st-louis

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't have the link, but according to their Facebook page, Brian is hanging it up.

Kudos on your retirement. So glad I got to see them.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:14 pm
I don't have the link, but according to their Facebook page, Brian is hanging it up.

Kudos on your retirement. So glad I got to see them.
Sad news fersure but at least they're going out on their own terms. Man they were a great little band. Guess I'll drink a beer and crank up Radar Gun tonight.

Here's the announcement in full.
Bottle Rockets

It’s with a sad heart that we announce this uneasy news: Brian has decided to retire from the Bottle Rockets. Although he’s in good health, he’s been feeling the passage of time and has lost interest in anything that distracts from or takes him away from home. Unfortunately, this means the Bottle Rockets can’t continue as we know it. This is a difficult and emotional outcome for the band, and we share the sense of loss over this ending, but it can also be framed as an opportunity for new directions.
We appreciate our fans, many who have become dear friends over the years, and we thank you for the wonderful 28-year adventure. It was a thrill and we couldn’t have asked for better people to share it with! We sincerely couldn't have done it without your loyal support -- the music lives on through you.
Forever Grateful,
The Bottle Rockets
==========================

Message from Brian Henneman...

Well friends, it’s time. Time to say “so long”. I’m givin’ it up. Packin’ it in. Retiring. I’m done. Been thinkin’ about it this entire time off. I’m more certain of it than anything I’ve ever been certain of before. I’m turning 60 this year. Including my time with Uncle Tupelo, I have been doing this recording/touring thing for 30 years. I don’t consider myself too old to do it anymore, but I do consider myself too old to want to.
Every musician has their own shelf life for doing what they do. Some go on into their 80’s, some quit in their 20’s and never look back. Ol’ Number 60, that’s me. 60 o’clock, that’s quittin’ time for this guy. Kickin’ off my travelin’ shoes and slippin’ on my house shoes. Home is where my passion lies these days. That excites me now the way the band used to.
I have no problem at all with the band. That’s not why I’m leaving. It’s all about where I’m at on the walk of life. I no longer want to travel, don’t really have any burning desire to write songs anymore either. I just want to be a good husband. A good neighbor. A responsible homeowner. A little dog’s daddy. A guitar repairman. A guitar player in my kitchen, and in some local country cover band whenever that scene comes back around. That’s how I want to spend the rest of my days. I want to be home for supper and home for bedtime. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. I want to experience a “normal life” just as badly now as I did NOT want to in my youth. While I’m still healthy enough to enjoy it. Before I get ancient and impaired. Things change. That’s life. I’m ready and eager for change. Being home for a solid year made me certain of it. I don’t want to miss ANYTHING here anymore.
Mark, John, and Keith all understand where I’m at. That’s such a relief. But they’re damn good guys. The best. Those guys have been the greatest partners a man could ever have. Dedication. Devotion. Turnin’ all the night time into the day. No tellin’ what’s next for them, but knowin’ them like I do, I’d say the sky’s the limit. They all have the musical skills to do anything. A truly “hot shit” band. And, unlike me, they still have the desire to get out there and do it. And they are ULTRA professionals. Keep an eye out for ‘em. I wouldn’t be one bit surprised to see them show up in phenomenal places. I am rooting for them. Them’s my boys. My team. My life partners. Please support them. I know I will. They are the longest running members the band ever had for a reason. They’re the best on so many levels. I love them forever.
Gotta salute Robert Kearns, Tom Parr, and Tom Ray too. All were members of the band I’m bidding farewell to. Everybody did a great job in their own time, in their own way. Everybody.
I gotta be honest, I’m not sad that this is really finally happening. It was bound to happen someday. What does make me kinda sad is that it’s already that day. WTF??? Where did that time go??? See? That’s my point. That’s what made me go through with this. Knowing how the time goes SO fast. I wanna get goin’ on this next phase, before it passes me by as fast as everything else did. I’ve finally reached an age where things get urgent. Available decades are gettin’ slim. Gotta find what you REALLY want and go for it. So I did.
I want to sincerely thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You all supported us for so long. I will never forget that, or take it lightly. I am forever humbled and grateful. It’s been fun, but now it’s done. Surprise ending, yes. But the band had a surprise beginning too, so it seems that’s just how we roll. Maybe the band’s not done at all. Who knows? I just know I won’t be in it. ‘Cause I’m done.
With a year off, and nothing on the books, this was the perfect intersection of time and timing. There would never be a time when leaving would disrupt less. That’s why I did it now. Didn’t wanna make a big deal outta my big deal. Wanted it to be as painless as possible.
So this is where the cowboy rides away. Goodnight now ladies and gentlemen. It’s the end of the show, now it’s time to go.
Maybe I’ll see ya at Home Depot or somethin’…
Brian
Last edited by Clams on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

So disappointing, but glad I finally got to see them in Nashville in 2019, and wish Brian nothing but the best in retirement. Also glad they went out on Bit Logic, which I thought was a pretty damn solid album.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Bit Logic was probably my least favorite of their albums, and I thought Brian sounded kinda tired and bitter on it. In hindsight, it makes me think he was thinking hard about this back then.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Captured this at a house show back in 2015

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Glad I got to see them a few years back. Their live show was fun, but the records never captured (for me) the same energy
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Top 10 INPO

Zoysia
Welfare Music
Kerosene
Building Chryslers
Indianapolis
Radar Gun
Thousand Dollar Car
Smokin 100's
Hard Times
Sunday Sports

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Bummer
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:14 pm
Top 10 INPO

Zoysia
Welfare Music
Kerosene
Building Chryslers
Indianapolis
Radar Gun
Thousand Dollar Car
Smokin 100's
Hard Times
Sunday Sports
Building Chryslers
Welfare Music
Turn For the Worse
Waitin' On A Train
Indianapolis
Kerosene
Middle Man
Headed For the Ditch
Kit Kat Clock
Shape of a Wheel

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Wave That Flag
Kerosene
Lonely Cowboy
Welfare Music
Sunday Sports
1000 Dollar Car
Indianapolis
Smokin' 100's Alone
Things You Didn't Know
Zoysia
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Bummer. They have always been one of my 3-4 favorite acts. I've probably seen them ten times and one of those shows was one of the best I've seen by anyone...ever.
Brian says he'll still play country covers around St. Louis and I am pretty sure I'll catch him doing that at some point.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Clams wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:14 pm
Top 10 INPO

Zoysia
Welfare Music
Kerosene
Building Chryslers
Indianapolis
Radar Gun
Thousand Dollar Car
Smokin 100's
Hard Times
Sunday Sports
Kerosene
Ship It On The Frisco
Welfare Music
Waiting On A Train
The Long Way
White Boy Blues
Zoysia
Rural Route
Queen Of The World
Kit Kat Clock

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Sad news, but an absolutely tremendous band.
So glad I got to see them the one time I did.
The Brooklyn Side is a masterpiece IMO and their Doug Sahm tribute disc is A+.
What a run.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 pm
Bit Logic was probably my least favorite of their albums, and I thought Brian sounded kinda tired and bitter on it. In hindsight, it makes me think he was thinking hard about this back then.
I can't disagree with any of that.
A couple albums in the middle of their run had really high spots but were kinda so-so overall. I thought the two albums preceding Bit Logic, Lean Forward and South Broadway Athletic Club, were very strong so I was confident that we had more to look forward to.
I'm bummed today.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:42 am
Iowan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 pm
I can't disagree with any of that.
A couple albums in the middle of their run had really high spots but were kinda so-so overall. I thought the two albums preceding Bit Logic, Lean Forward and South Broadway Athletic Club, were very strong so I was confident that we had more to look forward to.
I'm bummed today.
SBAC is one of my favorite things they’ve done.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The statements from both Brian and the band make it sound like the band could continue. It's hard to imagine it being the Bottle Rockets without Brian, but they are truly a "hot shit" band and if they continue in any way I'm gonna be on board. Brian did a huge bulk of the songwriting , but most everyone who has been a member has made quality contributions. I'm hopeful.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

WOW - thanks all for posting all the info on Brian's decision to leave the band. Gotta feel for him, it takes a lot to leave home and hit the road for months at a time. My old pal JW from Alabama ( who turned me on to all the alt -country bands, before it was hip to be alt-country) told me to go see The Bottlerockets at Mid-Town Music Fest in Atlanta back when The Brooklyn Side came out. So me and my krewe went to see them excited about what we were going to hear and see. The first note they played, one of the bass player's strings broke, halting the show for five minutes - classic. Fifteen people witnessed that unforgivable show that morning.

Speaking with Brian after a gig a few years later, I told Brian the first time I saw the band and he brought that up - He could not even believe it. Good times, good crowd and ALWAYS a kick ass show. So glad to have seen them over a dozen times in the South and up in Manhattan. Always took time to chat with us, the crowd and just the whole band was so down to earth. They don't make em' like that anymore.
I'll sorely miss them for sure, but have their music to crank up and share forever.

***Thank you Brian, Mark, John & Keith for rockin n rollin thru the years***God Bless y'all

> will have to get my head together on my top ten