Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Artist Of The Week-Bottle Rockets

Post by cortez the killer »

About fuckin' time! Thanks for the heads-up, mollusk.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Just saw this article as well:

The Bottle Rockets Unearth Uncle Tupelo Team-Up 'Indianapolis'
Wilco, Son Volt folks appear on album reissues from alt-country greats

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Excellent news!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

njMark

Post by njMark »

Best news I've heard in a long time.

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Awesome. I'll be glad to finally have a legit copy of the first album, which has been out of print for almost 20 years. Love these guys, and both those records are classics.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Got my pre-order done. And I believe they are about to start working on a brand new album. I have been to two house shows and a plugged in show this summer and they have played new songs at each one. Brian said most of the songs are already written.
Also, bought tix for their December 7 show in St. Louis with Otis Gibbs opening.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fuck yeah
\m/
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Has anyone seen them on tour with Marshall Crenshaw? I'd much rather see the B-Rox by themselves but they're coming around again with Crenshaw (for the second time) in February.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I just saw the Bottle Rockets/Crenshaw show listed @ the Birchmere. Looks more like Marshall Crenshaw is the headliner. Should be a good one, either way.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Has anyone seen them on tour with Marshall Crenshaw? I'd much rather see the B-Rox by themselves but they're coming around again with Crenshaw (for the second time) in February.

Yes, I saw this show about a year ago, I think. B-Rox opened and then backed Crenshaw. Unlike 4sooner, I was not totally convinced that the combination made sense so I went in w/ some doubt. But I was convinced. The B-Rox played a fine opening set - there's always going to be a difference between being an opener and headlining, but they were high energy and nailed pretty much everything they played in a well-chosen set. As I told Henneman afterwards, I thought it was a Crenshaw crowd but the BRox made a few converts. Crenshaw was good and the B Rox were excellent backing him. W/ Crenshaw it seemed much more about the songs (which were great) than about the performance; IOW I had never seen him before so I had nothing to compare it to, but my sense is that he's not a guy who's gonna "kill it" live.

Bottom line, you will absolutely positively not be sorry if you go. And if you care about such things, Crenshaw, Henneman and the whole band were very approachable after the show and willing to sign discs, etc.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:Yes, I saw this show about a year ago, I think. B-Rox opened and then backed Crenshaw.

Yeah, the last time they hit the Northeast it was with Crenshaw. Foolishly, I passed. I'll make damn sure I don't make the same mistake again.

* Edited to add I just saw McMurtry is playing about 10 minutes from me in November. Nice!
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:Has anyone seen them on tour with Marshall Crenshaw? I'd much rather see the B-Rox by themselves but they're coming around again with Crenshaw (for the second time) in February.

The Bottle Rockets haven't been through here in a while but Marshall Crenshaw is going to be playing here in November with the Swimming Pool Q's.

cortez the killer

- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Bottle Rockets on Mountain Stage

I was just about to post this link, but you beat me to the punch. I met the executive producer for Mountain Stage a few weeks ago and he is a MASSIVE Bottle Rockets fan.
Thoughts on the new stuff ?

cortez the killer

The reissues arrived today. I haven't listened yet, but I perused the cool booklet it came with. There is a nice little blurb from Patterson on "Kerosene."

Shortly after Drive-By Truckers started playing regularly at The Star Bar in Atlanta (around 1997) a friend I met there made me a mix tape of some of his favorite music. At that time, I was almost completely out of touch with anything new, as I was listening almost exclusively to old country and southern soul music (and rap, hence the name of our band). The mix tape was a fantastic collection of this great Alt-Country/Americana/No Depression thing that seemed to be taking off with names of artists like Lucinda, Iris, Victoria, Steve (I was actually already up on that one, as I'd been a fan from his first record on) and Jayhawks. I loved that tape and eventually wore it out as I searched out vinyl copies (whenever possible) of the artists within.

The song on that tape that I loved most of all was by a band called The Bottle Rockets. It told a story of a man who accidentally burned down his trailer. ("If kerosene works, why not gasoline?") It was brutal, yet basically non-judgemental, leaving the conclusions up to the listener. I would play it over and over. I loved the words, the playing and the droll delivery. I went on to become a fan of the band that played it. It's still one of my favorite songs of that fertile era and a song that stands the test of time.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

It was brutal, yet basically non-judgemental, leaving the conclusions up to the listener.

I know the above quote is Patterson describing the Bottle Rockets but that's the best description of Patterson's style I've heard.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

Perhaps that speaks to the level of influence "Kerosene" and the band itself has had on his songwriting.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Fucking outstanding. Liner notes are great too.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I was hoping to come home to the CDs waiting for me in my mailbox. Nuthin'! :twisted:
Fucking presales.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

Yeah, that's the worst part with pre-sales, BK. However, you should get a little poster with a link to some downloadable goodies exclusive to the pre-order.
- DPM

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Twenty years?

Twenty years?

Yeah, twenty years.

The Bottle Rockets have been doling out the crunchy twang; the twangy crunch; the tug-at-your-heart, kick-you-in-the-ass, and make-you-think sorta lyrics (the kind that undermined their best efforts to make you think they’re just a bunch of simple good ol’ boys) for twenty years now, believe it or not. Bloodshot Records is celebrating this milestone with a two-CD package that offers remastered versions of their first two albums – their self-titled debut and The Brooklyn Side – along with some great bonus material.

Linkeroo to full review: http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2013/11/15/the-bottle-rockets-the-bottle-rockets-the-brooklyn-side-deluxe-reissue
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

just ordered.

why no vinyl?

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Vinyl would cost too much. In a just world, this record would sell thousands of copies and justify a release in multiple formats, but this ain't a just world.

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer

Neat blurb & interview over @ No Depression. Henneman looking a lot like Hank Williams Jr. in that old photo.
- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I was looking around on the Bottle Rockets message board and I saw a post from several years ago by Brian Henneman himself where he mentioned a show in Athens that featured Patterson Hood joining the B-Rox for a cover of Skynyrd's "Curtis Loew".
I can't believe I had never heard about that. Any board members in attendance that night ?

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Tremendous show last PM at The Iron Horse in Northampton. Crenshaw + Bo-Rox are just something to see... Encore was the Richard Thompson cover "Valerie." Thanks to the band for making the trek to the frozen northeast and rocking our socks off.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Steve Earle interviews the Bottle Rockets on this weeks "Hardcore Troubadour" radio show on Sirius/XM satellite radio. I just listened and there are 2 or 3 more airings this week. Steve REALLY likes to talk, but it was still very enjoyable. They get into the recent re-issues, lineup changes, group history, Jay and Jeff, and also play 3 or 4 live tunes. It is very obvious that Steve is a big fan of the Bottle Rockets. He also has some very nice things to say about Jay Farrar.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

jr29 wrote:Steve Earle interviews the Bottle Rockets on this weeks "Hardcore Troubadour" radio show on Sirius/XM satellite radio. I just listened and there are 2 or 3 more airings this week. Steve REALLY likes to talk, but it was still very enjoyable. They get into the recent re-issues, lineup changes, group history, Jay and Jeff, and also play 3 or 4 live tunes. It is very obvious that Steve is a big fan of the Bottle Rockets. He also has some very nice things to say about Jay Farrar.

It's also on demand if anyone is interested.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Since seeing these guys with McMurtry this week in Buffalo been revisiting my fandom with the group. Brian Henneman said there's a new Brox record coming out this year, produced by Eric "Roscoe" Ambel. They played 3 new ones including a proper full band version of the Brooklyn Side bonus track Building Chryslers.

Found a few you tubes that are pretty cool: